Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

Alpha P-51 trim problem

Old 08-08-2006, 12:22 AM
arck

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
It's from Richmodels. I think it's the same as the AKM. Here's the link to it.

http://www.avia-richmodel.com/englis...iew.asp?ID=238
Ohh right I didn't recall,,,I will post some pics tonight,,,,,
Old 08-08-2006, 03:13 PM
arck

Here are the pics of the building, you can see what I was talking about,,,
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02026.JPG
Views:	183
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	15182   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02027.JPG
Views:	181
Size:	134.2 KB
ID:	15183   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02028.JPG
Views:	174
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	15184   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02029.JPG
Views:	199
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	15185   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02030.JPG
Views:	169
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	15186  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02032.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	145.6 KB
ID:	15187   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02033.JPG
Views:	168
Size:	146.4 KB
ID:	15188  
Old 08-08-2006, 03:26 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Thanks for the pics Werner. Too bad about the tail but looks like you did a good job fixing it. Do the landing gear come installed? I probably won't use them since I fly off grass most of the time. Mine will most likely be a belly flopper.

Tom
Old 08-08-2006, 03:45 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Thanks for the pics Werner. Too bad about the tail but looks like you did a good job fixing it. Do the landing gear come installed? I probably won't use them since I fly off grass most of the time. Mine will most likely be a belly flopper.

Tom
I'm going to have to belly land mine too (when I get one!!).

Nice save on the tail Werner. I've done similar things. I cut my hinges and then made new slots for a reglue. But your solution is very smart!
Old 08-08-2006, 03:55 PM
arck

Thanks,,, I decided to put the landing gears because the bottom of the plane is too weak, if he touch a little rock on my grass field I think he will puncture somewhere,,,,all the fuselage is covered with monokote or something,,,,
wm

Last edited by arck; 08-08-2006 at 04:15 PM.
Old 08-08-2006, 04:27 PM
arck

Hey guys if you decided to install the landing gears is not removal, all its epoxied in place,,,,,
Old 08-13-2006, 04:40 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Hey Werner, I killed my P51 this morning. I am so bummed out about it. I found the pilot next to the wreckage so I guess he ejected low and saved himself. It was like one of those airshow manuevers that goes bad. I was too low and moving in the wrong direction and couldn't pull out. What an idiot!

I only got 24 flights out of this plane. i'm not sure what I'm going to do now. Maybe take a break. Maybe it was fate. I started to build my Cub last night and made some good progress. The Mustang may have gotten jealous, who knows!?

Andy

Name:	P51D Crash.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	166.3 KB
ID:	15383   Click image for larger version

Name:	P51D Crash2.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	240.5 KB
ID:	15384  
Old 08-14-2006, 04:34 AM
arck

Hi Andy, sorry to here that, but in your place I will fix it with epoxy,,,,it will fly my friend, try it,,,,,,
werner
Old 08-15-2006, 03:53 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by arck View Post
Hi Andy, sorry to here that, but in your place I will fix it with epoxy,,,,it will fly my friend, try it,,,,,,
werner
I'm going to give it a shot ...I've got nothing to lose right!?

First though I'm going to finish my P47. There was something wrong with the linkage in the wing so HL is sending me a new wing. I hope to be able to fly it finally this weekend.

Also, I got motivated to build my Cub. It was a really bad model. It came with lots of warped parts. The tail was terrible. I got frustrated and just put it in my front room for a long time. But I took it out this weekend and made a lot of progress. I ended up shimming the tail and lined it up as best I could. I didn't worry too much about it being perfect. I just wanted to get it built and fly it. I bought a Park 450 for it, but I think I may stick with the "keep it simple" approach and just build it and maiden it with the tiny brushed motor that came with it. We'll see. It is going to weigh about 22 oz but it has a 47 inch wingspan, so I hope it's a floater. I'm going to see how big and low pitched of a prop I can put on the motor. I want it to fly big and slow!!

Here's how it looks now.

Name:	cub4.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	128.1 KB
ID:	15441   Click image for larger version

Name:	cub5.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	15442  
Old 08-17-2006, 03:23 AM
alienx
Super Contributor

I didn't intend to turn this into a build thread but I made some more prgress on the cub while I was waiting for my P47 wing to show up. I really just need the motor to show up so I can mount it and see what the balancing is going to be like. It's starting to feel like a plane though so I am getting excited about flying it. I ordered some different control horns for the wing, some big slow props, and the motor. They should all be here tomorrow. Then I can get the motor in and get the cowl and windshield on and see what it looks like.

Right now, it is about 13.25 oz. The motor swap should be even, so if I add about 3 oz for the ESC and receiver (and some other small parts like aileron linkages, the cowl and windshield and whatnot), that puts me at about 16.25 oz. The rest is just battery unless I'm forgetting some other important part. So the 1350 mah that fits stock weighs 3.65 oz. AUW about 20 oz. If i try to find a way to put a 2100 in it, that adds about 2.5 oz, so AUW someplace in the 22-23 oz area. It should fly I guess. My E-flite P47 is 24 or 25 oz and flies pretty well with that motor.

Who knows, this plane just may get from the "can't build" pile to the air.

Name:	cub1.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	148.3 KB
ID:	15486   Click image for larger version

Name:	cub2.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	153.2 KB
ID:	15487  
Old 08-21-2006, 07:10 PM
arck

Default My bird is down

Hi friend, on Saturday I lost my Alfa in the great ocean pacific, I try to fly near the sea next my field suddenly the plane make a roll maybe due the wind and sunk in the sea, the waves did the rest, all my gear, battery, servos, motor, were lost,,,,,,,,,,bye alfa P51,,,,,,I'm considering for my next project to buy the Alfa P-47 Razorback its in my wish list for Christmas,,,,
wm

Last edited by arck; 08-21-2006 at 09:17 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:20 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by arck View Post
Hi friend, on Saturday I lost my Alfa in the great ocean pacific, I try to fly near the see next my field suddenly the plane make a roll maybe due the wind and sunk in the see, the waves did the rest, all my gear, battery, servos, motor, were lost,,,,,,,,,,bye alfa P51,,,,,,I'm considering for my next project to buy the Alfa P-47 Razorback its in my wish list for Christmas,,,,
wm
Man that sucks! I feel bad that you lost all the electronics! That plane owes you too after all the times it tried to kill itself in front of you.

Mine is still in a pile on my hallway floor. To be honest, after flying the Chow Hound, I am in no hurry to repair it. The P47 is such a nice flying plane. I wanted the razorback but didn't have the patience to wait. But I have to imagine it flies exactly the same as mine.

I've stopped coming here recently. I felt like I was talking to myself. So I saw that your Spitfire is almost ready. Good luck on that maiden. I'll be lurking the other site to see how you made out.
Old 08-21-2006, 07:42 PM
arck

Originally Posted by alienx View Post
Man that sucks! I feel bad that you lost all the electronics! That plane owes you too after all the times it tried to kill itself in front of you.

Mine is still in a pile on my hallway floor. To be honest, after flying the Chow Hound, I am in no hurry to repair it. The P47 is such a nice flying plane. I wanted the razorback but didn't have the patience to wait. But I have to imagine it flies exactly the same as mine.

I've stopped coming here recently. I felt like I was talking to myself. So I saw that your Spitfire is almost ready. Good luck on that maiden. I'll be lurking the other site to sea how you made out.
Thanks Andy, I have learned a lot with this plane, I recommend it but never, never fly over the sea with this foamys, the superficial winds will kill the plane and your wallet,,,As you say it tried to kill itself in every flight,,,,there is something that it,s certain it is a great plane and a very good design all my falls they have always been for my fault and not for the plane,,,,,so I will buy not another p51 but one Alfa more maybe yours or the new P47,,,,,,
BTW,,,, my spit is 90% ready for the maiden this weekend,,,,will post some pics and a short video,
wm

Last edited by arck; 08-21-2006 at 08:56 PM.
Old 08-21-2006, 08:40 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Hey arck,

Really sorry to hear about your plane. As Alien says, that Sucks! I have a PZ P-51 and an E-flite P-47. The P-47 is by far the best flyer and my favorite of all mine. I'm looking forward to hearing about you Spitfire. I'm expecting mine to arrive this week.

Alien, hate to see you leave the forum. You've always been a positive member. Maybe no one is reading this thread any more since it's been mainly the P-51 and all the rest of our conversations. Stick around man!

Tom
Old 08-21-2006, 09:03 PM
arck

Hey arck,

Really sorry to hear about your plane. As Alien says, that Sucks! I have a PZ P-51 and an E-flite P-47. The P-47 is by far the best flyer and my favorite of all mine. I'm looking forward to hearing about you Spitfire. I'm expecting mine to arrive this week.

Alien, hate to see you leave the forum. You've always been a positive member. Maybe no one is reading this thread any more since it's been mainly the P-51 and all the rest of our conversations. Stick around man!

Tom
Thanks Tom, but I wont leave the thread, I will stay with you and Andy here or in another forum,we have something in common, the electric flight and these foamys that are wonderful and of course the friendship ,,,,,thanks again for your continuous support,
werner
Old 08-22-2006, 07:36 PM
alienx
Super Contributor

Tom
Hey Tom, Thanks. I must say I am a little sad about it too. I learned a ton (almost everything I know about the hobby) in here. I don't think I ever received a negative response in spite of all the noob questions I asked (and there were a boatload of them, trust me!).

But if you just look no further than the threads in here, the list has hardly shifted order in a few weeks. And there are certainly no new threads to speak of. I wonder what happened. I put my own P47 thread up (I know you participated), but nobody even really came back and got involved in spite of almost 400 views. I'm not particularly hurt by that, it just seems like a waste of energy to try to post in here anymore. Half the fun of the forum is the commraderie (sp?) right!!

So I'm off to the other places that talk about electrics. We'll see if anything is happening over there. But thanks for the kind words.

Andy
Old 08-22-2006, 07:48 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Originally Posted by alienx View Post
Hey Tom, Thanks. I must say I am a little sad about it too. I learned a ton (almost everything I know about the hobby) in here. I don't think I ever received a negative response in spite of all the noob questions I asked (and there were a boatload of them, trust me!).

But if you just look no further than the threads in here, the list has hardly shifted order in a few weeks. And there are certainly no new threads to speak of. I wonder what happened. I put my own P47 thread up (I know you participated), but nobody even really came back and got involved in spite of almost 400 views. I'm not particularly hurt by that, it just seems like a waste of energy to try to post in here anymore. Half the fun of the forum is the commraderie (sp?) right!!

So I'm off to the other places that talk about electrics. We'll see if anything is happening over there. But thanks for the kind words.

Andy

Andy,

What ever your ambitions or endeavors are, best wishes. Drop in every once in a while.

On a brighter note, my Spitfire arrived today! Can't wait to get started on it. I was pleasantly suprised with the quality of the kit.

Werner, I do see your point about not wanting to belly land it though. I'm not sure how the skin will hold up. I may have to make some gear that are a little more scale looking. I just can't bring myself to putting those yellow spoke wheels on a warbird. I'll at least have to paint them silver and maybe make some covers to mount on the wires. We'll see.
Old 08-22-2006, 08:12 PM
arck

Andy, I am very grieved by your words, but buddy, I gave a read to your thread and its very good, I congratulate you, I believe that it is necessary to take out this forum ahead in general ` for mainly that its devoted exclusively to electrics, from the moment that I arrived all the people here was kind with me,,,something that I don't received in others forums,,,,I hope to meet you in your thread or other forums,,,,,

Tom, congratulations for your new plane, you see what I told you, it is very delicate for below, I find your idea of painting the wheels excellent,,,,,will attempt it,,,,,,
Old 06-19-2007, 06:48 AM
XxOoCoBrAoOxX

Hi guys I was looking into hobby-lobbys planes and came up on the alfa models and am really interested in buying the p-51 mustang. It looks so cool and I just want to get my hands on one really bad! Should I use the recomended parts that go with the combo??

-Thanks!!
Old 12-09-2008, 08:28 PM
scalercflyer
Super Contributor

Default Motor for P 51

Can anybody give me the equivalent motor size/number from hobbycity? Thanks