RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

Optic 6 Problem - Did I Screw Up?

Old 12-01-2008, 10:28 PM
Rickochet
AMA 459572

Default Optic 6 Problem - Did I Screw Up?

I have an Optic 6 with Ch 16 module with OEM 600mAh battery. I wanted to upgrade to a larger battery pack so I got the pack and a separate connector. The connector was polarized like the one on the OEM pack but a tad taller, but seemed to fit ok. I plugged in the new battery (TX off) and smelled something. No sparks or smoke but I unplugged it. I plugged the OEM battery in and the display popped up and seemed to be normal. After checking later although the plugs were polarized I did not notice the + red wire was on the opposite site compared to the OEM connector.

To test the Optic I tried it on two different aircraft that have Berg 4 ch. 16. I turn the TX on and display looks normal. I plug in the plane and get the motor beeps but RX light stays on. No reaction to TX controls. I checked it with another FM TX and Rx light goes out and controls do fine. One thing strange I noticed is when I unplug the TX module then plug it back it the light goes out controls work fine. But when I uplug the batt, turn the TX off and then back on then plug battery light stays one. Remove module and plug back in and all works until turned off again.

Did I fry something or is there a separate problem?

Rick
Old 12-01-2008, 10:53 PM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Do you have a fuse in the TX? I'm not familiar with Hitec, but all my JR's and Airtronics do. That way when you plug something in backwards, or charge at too high of a rate, the fuse blows not your radio.

In your case I'm not all that sure of what it is. Open up the TX and have a look at it. If there is a fuse check that. Check or burnt connections, messed up wires, and anything out of the ordinary.

How old is the TX in question? If you still have warranty time I would sure send it in to get looked at. Either way I would. This is definitely something most people wouldn't be able to fix readily.

Good luck,
Mike
Old 12-01-2008, 11:13 PM
Rickochet
AMA 459572

Originally Posted by 3Disaster View Post
Do you have a fuse in the TX?
How old is the TX in question? If you still have warranty time I would sure send it in to get looked at. Either way I would. This is definitely something most people wouldn't be able to fix readily.
Good luck,
Mike
I thought if it was a fuse the display would not come on. Plus that doesn't explain why it works after I pull and reinstall the freq. module. I got it last Christmas but I am not sure if warranty will cover it after not catching the polarity problem.

Thanks Mike,

Rick
Old 12-01-2008, 11:21 PM
phupper
Flyin' Phup

"I plugged in the new battery (TX off) and smelled something."

If you smelled burning electronics, it may not be a fuse. It could be a fusable link, they look like a black resistor.

Usually the fuse provides protection at the power source. Once it blows, there will be no power at all.

Phil
Old 12-01-2008, 11:33 PM
TDisaster
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rickochet View Post
I thought if it was a fuse the display would not come on. Plus that doesn't explain why it works after I pull and reinstall the freq. module. I got it last Christmas but I am not sure if warranty will cover it after not catching the polarity problem.

Thanks Mike,

Rick
Yeah I figured it wasn't a fuse. When I plugged in a battery backwards on my JR the fuse blew and nothing worked. Because the fuse blew and kept the circuit from completing to turn on the TX. Yet I find it odd that your fuse (if there is one) didn't blow. That's why I asked that .
Old 12-02-2008, 12:26 AM
Twmaster

Many electronic devices will have a protection diode in them. It's designed to smoke if plugged in reverse polarity. Perhaps that was the magic smoke you let out?

No matter what let the smoke out it sounds like you hurt it and it's time for that to go back to Hitec for repairs.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Rickochet
AMA 459572

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
Many electronic devices will have a protection diode in them. It's designed to smoke if plugged in reverse polarity. Perhaps that was the magic smoke you let out?

No matter what let the smoke out it sounds like you hurt it and it's time for that to go back to Hitec for repairs.
No magic smoke, just magic smell

And I agree that I probably need to send it in. I am still curious why it works if I pop the frequency module out and back in.
Old 12-02-2008, 12:47 AM
Twmaster

The smell was smoke.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:30 PM
TbigD

Send it to Hitec , they will fix for free , i dropped my transmitter , broke some switches off , sent it in...no charge including return shipping....................Dennis
Old 12-15-2008, 10:30 PM
Rickochet
AMA 459572

Originally Posted by TbigD View Post
Send it to Hitec , they will fix for free , i dropped my transmitter , broke some switches off , sent it in...no charge including return shipping....................Dennis
I sent it to Hitec and got a call from them the next day after they received it with a repair quote. They fixed it and had it on it's way UPS the next day for $29. Not free but I didn't expect it to be since I screwed up.

I am highly impressed with the service I got from Hitec and I thought the repair bill was dirt cheap.

Nice going Hitec.

Rick
Old 12-16-2008, 02:09 AM
Twmaster

You got away lucky and cheap.

Hitec has a terrific reputation for service. Glad to see that is still so.

That's a great radio you have there. Be careful next time!
Old 12-16-2008, 02:25 AM
Rickochet
AMA 459572

You got away lucky and cheap.

Hitec has a terrific reputation for service. Glad to see that is still so.

That's a great radio you have there. Be careful next time!
I agree. What I really found refreshing is the prompt service, super reasonable price and talking to a tech person that my old ears could understand.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:30 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Did they happen to tell you what they had to fix?
Old 12-16-2008, 10:20 PM
Rickochet
AMA 459572

Originally Posted by Sir Raleigh View Post
Did they happen to tell you what they had to fix?
He told me I fried a chip of some sort. Maybe an IC chip? It might be on the invoice when I get the unit back. If it does I wll let you know.

Rick
Old 12-16-2008, 10:33 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Thanks Rick. I have an Optic 6 also, so I'd like to keep up with its repair history.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:52 PM
Rickochet
AMA 459572

Thanks Rick. I have an Optic 6 also, so I'd like to keep up with its repair history.
I remember us discussing the Radio Shack battery box for it. And it was the reversed polarity pig tail I put on my Radio Shack pack that croaked my Optic 6.

BTW I have a Smiley Rubber Ducky antenna ready to put on the Optic when it gets home.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:29 AM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

What's this Smiley Rubber Ducky? Got a picture? Link? I don't fly my planes that far away and something like that might be handy.
Old 12-17-2008, 01:20 AM
Rickochet
AMA 459572

What's this Smiley Rubber Ducky? Got a picture? Link? I don't fly my planes that far away and something like that might be handy.
Bill, here is a link for the Rubber Ducky. I am not sure if there are any threads on it here but do a search at RCG in the Radio forum and there is some info. I use Castle Creation Berg recievers in my 72mhz stuff and they tested the rubber ducky and found no range problems using the Smiley RD.

http://www.smileyantenna.com/product...products_id=86
Old 12-17-2008, 05:11 AM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Thanks Rick.

As I mentioned in a PM, I just might try making one myself out of an old 2 meter/144 mhz rubber duck and see how it works.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:12 PM
Rickochet
AMA 459572

Thanks Rick.
As I mentioned in a PM, I just might try making one myself out of an old 2 meter/144 mhz rubber duck and see how it works.
Let us know how it works Bill.

Rick
Old 12-17-2008, 04:32 PM
Twmaster

I just got a nice used JR 8103 with one of those 'duck' antennas. Are you saying it is full range?
Old 12-17-2008, 05:12 PM
Rickochet
AMA 459572

I just got a nice used JR 8103 with one of those 'duck' antennas. Are you saying it is full range?
First, I don't know jack about radios or antennas but from what I read there is some loss in range but for the majority of fliers it won't effect them. Only those fliers who get into some extreme range situations like sailplanes may have some issues.

Here is a post on RCG that has some info on the Rubber Ducky.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...r+duck+antenna