Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

How slow must nicad and nimh be charged to balance?

Old 12-26-2008, 06:15 PM
d&mrc

Default How slow must nicad and nimh be charged to balance?

I was told that nimh and nicad batteries balance when charged slowly. How slowly must they each be charged in order to balance? I just got a ne Triton JR for Christmas, and am cycling all my batteries. I am almost finished now. They all have varying capacities, but I charged each at a rate which took about 6 hours.
Old 12-26-2008, 06:22 PM
jooNorway

I think the old rule of thumbs say 1/10C charge, and appr 30-40% overcharge. Then you are sure all cells are topped off.
2-3 charge/discharge cycles should wake up the batteries, if not they might be ready for the bin...
Old 12-26-2008, 06:51 PM
d&mrc

Okay, that comes out to .11A, .14A, and .12A for my three main nimh packs ( have two others, but the capacity is too low, the Triton JR can't be set to their 1/10c rating) Each of these packs has been charged at a rate of .2A. At the most, that is 9/100ths of an amp difference (correct me if I am wrong). Do you think that I have reaped any benefits at all from charging them at this rate?
Old 12-26-2008, 07:44 PM
everydayflyer
Southern Pride

The point in the C/10 14-16 hour chargeon a non peak detection charger is to insure all cells are full and that the rate is low enough not to case severe over heating. There is really no proper way to form / balance a Ni battery with a peak charger. Best you can do is use a C/3 rate as this is high enough for the peak to be detected and low enough to do a fair job of balancing the cells in the pack.

How much does it help,well that depends on the quality / condition of the cells and how they have been used / cared for. Nimh cells like to be used. They (most) have a fairly high self discha4ge rate and get lazy if they set for a few weeks or more.

There is a big different in the quailty of cells available. Much depends on if the are low IR cells designed for high amps. out put such as used for motor power or cells designed for consumer

http://www.camlight.com/techinfo/techtips.htmlelectronics.

Charles