RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

How do I set up a transmitter to work with a receiver?

Old 12-27-2008, 12:52 AM
nickester

Question How do I set up a transmitter to work with a receiver?

Hello all,

I have been searching the internet for a week now and have yet to arrive at a solution on how to set up a transmitter to "talk" to a receiver.

Here is my situation:

I am very interested in building my own R/C plane. Before I go out and purchase parts, I wanted to see if I would be able to use a generic 4-channel helicopter transmitter (which I have laying around) with a 4-channel receiver that I buy from an online store.

Can this be done? From what I see online, customers are able to buy both parts individually giving me the hint that you can have any suitable transmitter work with a suitable receiver.

Can anyone explain how I may do this or provide a source where I can find information on this matter?

Thank you and happy holidays.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:10 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by nickester View Post
Hello all,

I have been searching the internet for a week now and have yet to arrive at a solution on how to set up a transmitter to "talk" to a receiver.

Here is my situation:

I am very interested in building my own R/C plane. Before I go out and purchase parts, I wanted to see if I would be able to use a generic 4-channel helicopter transmitter (which I have laying around) with a 4-channel receiver that I buy from an online store.

Can this be done? From what I see online, customers are able to buy both parts individually giving me the hint that you can have any suitable transmitter work with a suitable receiver.

Can anyone explain how I may do this or provide a source where I can find information on this matter?

Thank you and happy holidays.
Hello, Nickester and welcome to Wattflyer.

There is not a really simple answer to your question without more information. I really need to know more about your transmitter to give a definitive answer. So I will give a generic answer.

If the transmitter is operating on 72 Mhz, then you need to purchase a receiver with a crystal on the same frequency (or channel) as the transmitter.

If the transmitter is operating on 2.4 Ghz, you will have to purchase a receiver that is manufactured by the maker of the transmitter. You will need to do some research to determine the proper receiver, for example the Spektrum DX6 will only work with an AR6000 receiver.

Hope this helps.
Old 12-27-2008, 01:18 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

You need to be sure of several details before you try mixing transmitters and recievers. (you beet me to it Jim!)

1)The transmitter and the reciever need to be on the same exact channel (frequency) and in the same frequency band. Aircraft run in the 72 MHz band with channels running from channel 11 to channel 60. The problem here is that your generic heli transmitter may not follow the conventions for correct frequencys and chanel numbers or even the correct band. Many of the cheeper ready to fly planes/helis coming out of China opperate in the wrong band or on oddball frequencies. They are also often very short range and of poor quality. If your transmitter is an "A" or "B" or "C" channel then it wont work with any reciever but the ones that came with it. Even if it has a channel number - it may not work with any reciever but the ones that come with it.

2)The second issue is something called "shift". Some recievers and transmitters are positive shift and some are negative shift. The transmitter and reciever need to be the same shift as well as the same frequency. Some recievers will automaticaly adjust to your transmitter - assuming the transmitter is working the way its supposed to. Not all recievers will do that.

3)Some of those heli transmtters will only work with the heli recievers they are made for. They do not put out normal signals on seperate channels - some of the mixing is fixed internally and cannot be changed.

Now that Ive given you all the things that could go wrong - it might work perfectly if the transmitter is setup to work like a normal rc transmitter and you can figure out what channel its on and find a compatible reciever.

You can change the crystal in the reciever to make it work on most any channel - except for some recievers which are low band only or hi band only. You cannot change the crystals in the transmitter unless you send it in to the factory to be recalibrated.
Old 12-27-2008, 02:54 AM
slipstick
Super Contributor

There are many different types, makes and variants of "generic 4-channel helicopter transmitter" and they're not as "generic" as you seem to think. So there is no completely general answer that works for every one.

So first you need to say EXACTLY what transmitter you have and only then will it be possible to say if you can do what you want and if so what receiver you will need to get .

Steve