Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Walkera 4#3 b questions

Old 10-26-2008, 07:10 PM
PsychoKory

Default Walkera 4#3 b questions

How long do the stock tail motor and main motor last on the 4#3b? What tools are needed to replace them? is it hard?

How long do the stock servos last and what is needed to replace them? is it hard?

I am thinking of buying one and just trying to get some basic info on it before I buy one. What spare parts should I buy off the bat seeing as I will crash it and dont want to be SOL after crashing?

I am currently flying a mcx, yes I know this is a noob heli and the 4#3b is a FP heli. I am looking for something cheap to buy and fix for my first FP heli. Does anyone have any better suggestions of a heli to buy rather than a 4#3b that is cheap to buy and fix and might be a better coming from a coaxel type heli?
Old 10-27-2008, 04:51 PM
bassplayinDude

It honestly depends on how much space you have to learn to fly. I learned to hover my HBFP in a 5'x6' area, but I wouldn't recommend that to anyone as there is no room to do anything other than hover (no room to recover). My stove & freezer also have the marks to prove I've been flying in there.
Old 10-29-2008, 12:28 AM
mhab
Koax and more ...

Hello

Main motors last average 20 accu charges.
To replace you need a screw driver, not difficult.

Tail motors last about 40 accu charges. To replace you need to solder thin wires. Not simple !!

To read more see a fairly extensive discussion at:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35698

I recommend to buy 2 heli's and at least 4 main motors, 2 spare tail motors and 1-2 extra accus. That should bring you through the hardest times in the beginning, and shorten down times between charges.

Except for the short engine lifespan it is a perfect heli to learn all skills indoor.

Have fun
Michael
Old 11-02-2008, 05:38 PM
jswigart

The Walkera 4-3 si not a good second step from the blade mcx.
While it is not a bad flying machine, it is not for a beginner to 4 channel helis. It flies nothing like the mcx. If you are already an accomplished model heli pilot, you will have no problem with it.
I have the 72mhz and the 2.4mhz versions and really enjoy them.
I have had no problem with motors burning out as reported.

THe newest one I have is the 4-3a using spread spectrum technoloy.
It flew beautifully right out of the box.
The only negative comment I have is that I have found it to be much easier to hand launch than to take off from the ground. It is very squirlly within ground effect.

Just my opinions Jay
Old 11-02-2008, 10:44 PM
TravisBean

Originally Posted by jswigart View Post
The Walkera 4-3 si not a good second step from the blade mcx.
While it is not a bad flying machine, it is not for a beginner to 4 channel helis. It flies nothing like the mcx. If you are already an accomplished model heli pilot, you will have no problem with it.
I have the 72mhz and the 2.4mhz versions and really enjoy them.
I have had no problem with motors burning out as reported.

THe newest one I have is the 4-3a using spread spectrum technoloy.
It flew beautifully right out of the box.
The only negative comment I have is that I have found it to be much easier to hand launch than to take off from the ground. It is very squirlly within ground effect.

Just my opinions Jay
Have you flown the 4#3b ??
Old 11-03-2008, 04:55 AM
jswigart

Technically, I have not flown the b version, but what I stated is the same. The only differnce with the b version are the metal upgrades to swash and main rotor head. This would create better durrability, but the flight characteristics will not change.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:02 AM
TravisBean

Originally Posted by jswigart View Post
Technically, I have not flown the b version, but what I stated is the same. The only differnce with the b version are the metal upgrades to swash and main rotor head. This would create better durrability, but the flight characteristics will not change.
I thought that metal upgrades offer more percision also ,adding to stability.( I dont know, just asking)
Old 11-24-2008, 04:31 AM
SUPERSPORT

I couldn't tell you since mine came with a junk controller and eHIROBO won't do anything about it. My brother had one of the older none 2.4 Walkeras. The only way I have flown is with his rec. and controller with the big antenna.

That didn't last long. Within a couple days I lost lift. It's been sitting for months now. My brother has had the same problem. Turns out the gear starts spinning on the motor shaft. He has replaced his motor several times, guess I need to also.

I've found the motor a few places online for under $5. The pictures show it without the plug. Where do you guys order motors from?
Old 01-22-2009, 10:32 PM
syncronizer007

my 4#3b main motor last about 30 flights. tail motor 40-50 flights. Not really stable flying out of the box. I did few of balancing setup..then i able to fly it with hands off almost 1minute(no wind) very2 bit TBE, flight height 1 1/2 feet & not much MOD(just did the spring mod under the swash plate).
Old 01-23-2009, 04:54 PM
bassplayinDude

Originally Posted by SUPERSPORT View Post
I couldn't tell you since mine came with a junk controller and eHIROBO won't do anything about it. My brother had one of the older none 2.4 Walkeras. The only way I have flown is with his rec. and controller with the big antenna.

That didn't last long. Within a couple days I lost lift. It's been sitting for months now. My brother has had the same problem. Turns out the gear starts spinning on the motor shaft. He has replaced his motor several times, guess I need to also.

I've found the motor a few places online for under $5. The pictures show it without the plug. Where do you guys order motors from?
The main motors I bought from wowhobbies.com came with plugs on them. The tail motors do not though and also don't come with the full run of tail motor wire so if you need to replace the entire length of tail rotor wire, don't forget to order the wire separately.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:46 PM
bossee

Hi,

I have a 4#3B V2 brushless main motor and metal rotor head. I believe the brushless motor should last longer then the old version with brushed main motor.

PsychoKory,
Maybe You should buy a simualtor to practive, it will probably be fun and save some money (less spare parts needed). For example PRE-Flight Walkera Edition simulator with 4#3B as model to fly in the sim.

/Bo

Last edited by bossee; 02-07-2009 at 09:11 PM.