Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

Eflight BAE Hawk

Old 12-30-2008, 02:51 AM
gr8taz nitro
electric?? are you sure??

Default Eflight BAE Hawk

Got my new hawk all ready to go, but mother nature wouldn't cooperate. When I got out to the field the winds were blowin 20+ and decided I would let the plane live to fight another day.

It's set up with the recommended eflite fan and inrunner motor, hitec hs-65hb's for control duties, eflite 60amp esc, and a spektrum 6200 rx. I had some 4 cells from some other edf's so I'm currently using TP 2600's to power it all with. First numbers according to the ol' watt meter are pushing 62 amps and over 800 watts which should be plenty to get this one airborne.

Overall very nice arf, the quality has been great, I'm really impressed with this one. I wish I had some more pics, but I didn't think to take any while doing the build, and the only one I've got was takin by one of the other guys at the field yesterday. Hopefully the weather gets better and I can get a maiden and a lot more pics.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	bae hawk.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	88376  
Old 01-01-2009, 06:02 AM
wcc963

the plane flies ok on 3S, but on a 4S 2800-3000 would be the best choice for power and flight time... the recommended 2500 4S is fine but flight time is a little shorter than i would like... HAPPY NEW YEAR!
Old 01-01-2009, 06:33 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Looks sweet. have you gotten it in the air yet?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:32 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Looks good Roy. Maybe we can maiden it and my Panther at the same time. Guess I better get busy on it huh?
Old 01-01-2009, 11:58 PM
gr8taz nitro

Yet another chance to maiden ruined by winter. Again way too windy to do anything but stare at it. Hopefully I'll get another chance by sunday.

Tom, are you gonna have the panther ready to go in the next couple of days? I just got the F-16 duct repaired and I'm waitin on the paint to dry before I go in and put the silk you gave me on the inside.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:05 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

My flying buddy has one of these however he is still building it. Not to mention the weather here has also been cold and very windy. Good luck with your maiden, it is a sweet looking plane.

CTD
Old 01-07-2009, 09:47 PM
gr8taz nitro

Default maiden finally!!!

we finally got a break in the weather and the stars and planets lined up.
All I can say is wow, she broke ground in about 70 feet and rotated and pulled up like a homesick angel. Underpowered is not an issue considering I fly off a grass runway.
It's not the fastest jet that I own but she was probably doing around 85-90mph wide open flat and level, and the fan system just sounds amazing. She's quiet and very smooth, no PO'ed hairdryer here! I spent most of the flight cruising around at about 1/2 throttle and the down low passes were just too cool. This plane tracks very straight and I had now issues at all getting her to go where I wanted. I really need to cut my rates back a little more or add some more expo. It's not over sensitive, but the ailerons are wayyyyyy effective. I didn't do anything more aggressive than a few rolls, inverted and the other stuff will have to wait till next flight.
About half way through the flight my window closed and the wind started picking back up. On takeoff the wind was only doing 5-8mph, by the time I set the plane down it was up to 14-16mph, but the plane really didn't seem to be bothered in the least. Turned into final, cut the power back around 1/3 and dropped straight in, even with the crosswind.

The only thing it took for trim was a couple clicks of right and 1 click of up and we were golden. I would say the only thing about landing this one is you gotta treat this one like the real thing. This plane is NOT a foamy to kill the power and glide it in, keep the wings level in final and work the throttle to control your descent speed and kill the power and flare just before you touch ground. I think I've found my new current favorite plane...at least till the next one comes along.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:51 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Congrats Roy. Can't wait to see it fly.
Old 01-07-2009, 10:11 PM
trebs

I like the look of this model, a BAE Hawk is probably the next on my list
Old 01-09-2009, 08:31 PM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Congats on your maiden. My buddys Hawk is still in production. I went over the other day and helped him install the control rods to each of the elevators. I think all that needs to be done to finish her off is to install the ESC, Receiver, fun unit and thrust tube. He has asked for my help with the thrust tube install so I was wondering if you might have any tips on the installation. Things are a bit tight in there as far as I can tell.

He isn't in a big hurry to maiden her seeing how we just keep on getting hit with sonwstorm after snowstorm. Bit I cant wait to see her fly. Then when the ground is clear the winds have been just as bad as the cold temps. Anyway I'm glad to see a positive report on this model. Let us know how future flights go.

How long of flight time did you get with your set up? He is planning on 3S 3300 Mah packs to get longer flight times. He wants more flight time rather than max speed and verticle.

Thanks,
CTD
Old 01-10-2009, 03:15 AM
gr8taz nitro

as far as the included thrust tube dry fit everything before you install the fan and tube into the fuse. The center body fairing that goes on the back of the motor will need to be cut down a little. It's actually longer than needed for the thrust tube that's included. I'm assuming they did it that way for other applications. When you dry fit everything you'll notice that the mount tabs are actually offset, they're not centered on the fan shroud. Be sure and set it up so that the label on the fan shroud is going into the fuse, you shouldn't be able to read the label when it's installed in the plane. The fairing should point up and be tilted into the plane when the motor is installed in the shroud. If your looking at the setup from the rear of the fan unit the shroud should be setting at around the 2 o'clock position. Other than that the instructions are actually pretty good about how to get the thrust tube in place and set. Do be careful putting the tube in, it's a little more fragile than the say, if you fold it to hard like they show in the instructions you can make the thrust tube crack around the cutouts for the fan shroud mount tabs. I've attached a rough drawing of how it should look from the rear before you install the fan unit.

I used a 4 cell TP2600 for my flight and a 4 minute flight with mixed throttle used just about 75% of my pack. Throttle management is gonna be key to flight times with this one. If he fly's with heavy throttle he won't get much more than 4 minutes, with my 4 cell cruising around at 1/2 throttle is gonna be about the same as him using 3/4 I'd think. I'd probably set a timer for 4 minutes and check how much he has to put back in the pack and readjust from there.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	hawk lineup.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	22.9 KB
ID:	89794  
Old 01-10-2009, 06:09 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Thanks for the info.

CTD
Old 04-08-2009, 05:14 AM
heychas

Default Battery size

Does anyone know how big a battery will fit in this plane? How about a 4s 3500 or larger? 5000?

Thanks,
Charlie
Old 04-09-2009, 04:01 AM
gr8taz nitro

There's some guys that I've talked to that are using 3300-3500 4 cells but that's starting to get pretty heavy for this plane. I use a 4 cell TP 2600 and get about 4 1/2 minutes of mixed throttle flight with enough in reserve to go around if I go long on the landing. I could probably go larger without too much trouble but your gonna be landing pretty hot if you get very big on the pack.
Old 04-09-2009, 04:41 AM
kaycee
HSVRocketman

I just bought a Hawk and will be lurking here for more tips and ideas.
Old 04-10-2009, 02:49 AM
heychas

Thanks Gr8taz Nitro!!!