General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

anyone have an e-flight dueces wild

Old 10-11-2008, 04:20 AM
rcflyer7

Default anyone have an e-flight dueces wild

Was just wondering if any one has flown the deuces wild yet...or am I in the wrong catagoury for this one.
Rich
Old 10-11-2008, 04:58 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by rcflyer7 View Post
Was just wondering if any one has flown the deuces wild yet...or am I in the wrong catagoury for this one.
Rich
Rich,

Bryan (Liquidity) has one. Feel free to PM him.

I think he is gone flying all weekend, however, so it may be a couple days before he gets back to you.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:12 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Here I am. I was supposed to be gone all weekend, but I decided to sleep at my hsoue instead of the field.

Sorry; to answer your question. Yes I own a Deuces Wild and really enjoy it. Today it was a bit windy, but the wind was right down the runway. I got 2 flights on it before the sun fell down.

I do have a few issues that I am not happy with.
1. The firewalls are crap. The adjustable blind nuts are nice so you can choose any motor you wish, however 1/8th ply is not going to hold a powerful motor on. Ask me how I know My motor pulled the blind nuts throguh the firewall. I went back and installed 1/4 ply infront of the original firewall, and 1/8th behind the firewall. My motors are not going anywhere now.
2. The glue they use to glue the firewall to the fiberglass nacelle is worthless. I think they used toothpaste to glue it on. Make sure add 30 min epoxy and/or gorilla glue to all the wood to fiberglass joints.
3. You have to trim the landing gear if you are using retracts. The small amount of metal that stick passed the wheel will puncture a hole in the balsa sheating. No big deal though.

FLYING: The DW is extremely stable. I fly a nitro Ultra Stick 40. It is around the same level. It is really smooth and responds great. During the maiden flight I had a carrier style landing because I did not want to stall her. All of my other landings have been really slow and controlled.
She slows down to a crawl before touching down.

I have had a problem with my nose gear retract not locking. I think this is because my guide wires are too tight. I will find out more tomorrow after I loosen them up.

Let me know if you have any questions. I will ask my buddy to get a video of her tomorrow.
Old 10-11-2008, 05:30 AM
rcflyer7

Liquidity,
thanks for the reply. what motors are you using? It sounds like the stock Himax motors should work well on it.
I take it that you are using mechanical retracts instead of the Pneumatic ones.
How about aerobatics, did you do anything with it yet?
Rich
Old 10-11-2008, 12:05 PM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Rich,

I am using Scorpion 3026-10(lor 12s) one or the other. I am not too sure what you mean by stock Himax motors. The planes does not come with any motors. In fact, it is built for Power 25s or Power 32s. The Scorpions I am using are the equivalent of the Power 32s.

The motors pull the plane around pretty well, however if I went with the Power 25's I would be looking for more.

I am using the recommened Robart Retracts. They are pneumatic up and spring down. As I stated, I believe my ground steering wires aer a tad tight those not allowing my nose gear to lock in place.

The plane is capable of every aerobatic manuaver there is. That being said, it is not a 3d plane, I have not tried to hover it, While I am sure you can for a second, I do not see the need or have the desire too. Inverted flight a few feet of the ground is always fun. I also have not put her in a flat spin. I will take horizons word that it will though.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:01 PM
rcflyer7

Your right Bryan,
I was thinking of the Cularis at the time. The cularis has a flight pack that has a Himax motor for it. Both of these planes I have great lust for LOL. I always wanted a dualist but never got around it getting one. then I bought a dualist 2/60 off of this site that I never got around to building, and sold it. I have been doing this since around 1980 , and with every one comming out with ARF,s, I really don't care to build any more. I guess that I got burned out on the building end of the hobby.The deuces wild is about the closest thing to a dualist that I am going to get without having to stick build it.
Rich
Old 10-12-2008, 04:36 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

I flew the pants off of the plane today. I was flying it on discount Chinese Lipos. Bill saw me flying it and commented on the slower speed. He then handed me 2 4s3300 Flight Power lipos. WOW, this thing took off like a rocket. Well over 100 in straight and level flight.

I had a problem with the nose wheel on the first flight, it did not want to lock. On the second flight I slowed the plane down really slow, hit the gear and they popped down and locked. Then I gained some speed and made my final turns to land and it did AWESOME.

This plane is a blast. I now have 3 sets of batteries for this plane
Old 05-16-2009, 10:23 PM
jswigart

I just won this plane in a club fun fly event.
Has anyone tried flying it on 2- 25 size motors?
It seems like putting 32s and 2- 4s battery packs will be a lot of weight.
25s and 3s lipo packs would reduce the weight a lot but how bad would it reduce performance?
The plans say it's 7.5- 8 lbs without batteries. Wow! that seems like a lot for that size plane!

Jay
Old 05-17-2009, 03:32 AM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

I use 32 equivalent Scorpion motors on 4s. Weight is not an issue. The DW flys like a larger Ultra Stick.
Old 05-22-2009, 07:18 PM
Jugnut
Low & Slow

they did a review of it in FlyRc magazine june 2009 issue 67.
Old 05-31-2009, 03:32 PM
mred
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Liquidity View Post
Rich,

I am using Scorpion 3026-10(lor 12s) one or the other. I am not too sure what you mean by stock Himax motors. The planes does not come with any motors. In fact, it is built for Power 25s or Power 32s. The Scorpions I am using are the equivalent of the Power 32s.

The motors pull the plane around pretty well, however if I went with the Power 25's I would be looking for more.

I am using the recommened Robart Retracts. They are pneumatic up and spring down. As I stated, I believe my ground steering wires aer a tad tight those not allowing my nose gear to lock in place.

The plane is capable of every aerobatic manuaver there is. That being said, it is not a 3d plane, I have not tried to hover it, While I am sure you can for a second, I do not see the need or have the desire too. Inverted flight a few feet of the ground is always fun. I also have not put her in a flat spin. I will take horizons word that it will though.
I saw this plane fly at SEFF and he was using power 25s on 4S and boy it moved. With power 25s on 3S I would say it would be a little slow, but on 4S it really moved out. Flew great, but had a problem with his nose gear too. Great flying plane though, but it does have it's problems. Your not the only one that had a motor pull out from the stock firewalls. They are junk.

Ed