Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

The Official DonsRC Wicked EDF Motor Discussion Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 06:55 PM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

I started selling EDF motors 3 years ago becasue what I wanted something that did not exist in the exact way I wanted it. I did not want a low powered EDF I wanted them to fly like a jet. Some of my setups will make these smaller models easily go over 100 mph and a small 18"-24" span model going 100+ mph definitely fills many peoples need for speed. My little 50mm F16 EDF goes 100 mph on a 3S lipo and is a blast to fly and the cost for the entire plane ready to go is much lower than the bigger EDFs and lipos only cost about $13 each as well. Each person has what they like, I happen to like the smaller EDFs.

As far as expanding my product line, I understand the need for what you are looking for but time is an issue. I work a regular 40 hour a week full time job, I have a wife and 3 kids. My website currently takes an additional 20-30 hours per per week of my spare time with my current product line, so I am basically booked up so to speak. I have to find a balance which makes sense for me and does not turn my hobby into a second job. This is suppose to be fun!

Hope you understand my position.
Old 10-07-2010, 08:08 PM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Default Scale Jet...Flight

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I started selling EDF motors 3 years ago becasue what I wanted
something that did not exist in the exact way I wanted it...I have to find a balance which
makes sense for me and does not turn my hobby into a second job. This is suppose to be
fun! Hope you understand my position.
Don,

Please do not misunderstand what I am saying in my posts.

I recognized your intent is to get the most out of what you offer. That is why I took the time
to create this inquiry.... ;^)

You went right to the issue of speed...which I expected, and appreciate because its good you
feed what these animals are asking for. However there is the scale modeling community who is
maturing with new motors and batteries capable of deliverying sustainable, robust power.

I am curious if you have ever taken the time to create a spread sheet or an index listing specific
EDF by FSA, n or # thrust @ S/P battery capacity with resulting duration (time)?

At 1.62 x # thrust= scale flight performance. 1.62:1 was originally used as a decent recip fan to
model weight calc. ...

Old 10-08-2010, 12:30 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

I have never made such a spreadsheet but for scale flying I would think current fans and motors would fill the scale aspect as speed is not what is wanted and I have seen 70mm fans with 7 or 8 bladed rotors which I think may work well in a large scale EDF. In the 70mm fans you can get setups ranging from 500 to 1500 watts. So I would think there would be some existing combo in that would work especially in a multi engine subject like the B47.
Old 10-08-2010, 02:58 AM
Flite-Metal
"Look Of The Real Thing"

Dave P. has a 1/16th B-47 thread within this section. Dave desired to place six individual fans in his B-47. At 1/16th the thrust is
more critical than at 1/10.2. I plan to use a pair of birfurcated Dynamax in the inboard nacelles. They will generate 32# of thrust.
My target AUW is well below the FAI F4C 33# sans batteries limit...27#.

Last edited by Flite-Metal; 10-08-2010 at 04:23 AM.