Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

KMP/EMS DC 3 103,9" span Electric conversion?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:52 AM
KnutK
Oldflyer

Hi!
The weather has lighten a bit for a while, so I have done some testing of the engine set up. I made the test rig from what I had in my workshop, rails from a kitchen drawer, some alu profile, and a fishing scale........
It works perfectly, I did the testrun twice, but filmed only the first one. It was a problem with the fishing scale, it shuts down after a while ( seems it is made that way), so i will find a better one for the rig for testing later projects
As you can see from the pictures and film (YouTube), the set up is a Turnigy SK5055-580, a 13x7" propeller and a 80 amps ESC chinese brand and Flightmax 5000 6 cell, all from HobbyCity. I know this is'nt top of the trade, but it seems to work fine in this setup. I don't owerload anything, so the battery, engine and ESC only get slightly warm.........
Take a look at the film, and do comment, as I said earlier, I am open for suggestions. My be at a later time, I will experimenting with 3- blade propeller, it looks better on this plane as electricfly 2002 pointed out........
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iq-M5pFHRn0[/media]

Until next time,
KnutK

Last edited by KnutK; 08-05-2009 at 09:44 PM.
Old 08-05-2009, 10:22 PM
electricfly2002

Hi,

I have posted some notes on building and flying the ESM (KPM) Dakota on the SAMAA (South African Model Aircraft Association) blog. The link to the site is http://samodelair.blogspot.com/

There are also some pics in the SAMAA news (www.samaa.org.za)

Hopefully I will fly mine this weekend!

Regards from a sunny South Africa,

Andre
Old 08-11-2009, 11:43 AM
electricfly2002

Just a quick note to encourage those guys with the 2.65m wingspan ESM Dakotas
that have been built but not flown or still lurking in a box somewhere to finish
their planes and go fly them! I finished my electric version yesterday afternoon, and rushed out to our local club for the maiden flight. After arriving at the field and assembling the plane (took a few minutes) and connecting (and shorting!) the batteries and checking the motors (one was running wrong way round - was using counter rotating props without realing it), adding 300g lead to correct the CG with undercarraige out and doing a final pre-fligh check I handed the TX to a friend for the maiden.
Maiden flight was a breeze, it tracked fairly straight down the runway, and took to the air on full throttle. Looked very impressive on full power, and flew a few circuits at about half throttle. Despite my concerns about the possibility of trims being out with two aileron, four flap and two elevator servos all that was required was two clicks on the elevator trims. Did a fly past on half flaps (no trim changes) and then on full flaps (slight ballooning up). After one landing approach to see how it slows down when reducing the trottle, a perfect touch down and landing. Seems that there is very little rudder control at low speed with motors not running, as it ran to the edge of the runway during the last moments of the landing, resulting in a gentle nose-over. Maybe it would be easier with a slight head wind or I should increase rudder travel, which I had already increased from the recommended 25mm to 40mm. Needless to say that I was very pleased with the results of my building efforts and that we were very impressed with the stability of the plane!
Regards,
Andre
Old 06-18-2010, 09:20 AM
Son of Paleface
Ozzie Express Wiggy Pilot

Originally Posted by electricfly2002 View Post
Hi,

I have posted some notes on building and flying the ESM (KPM) Dakota on the SAMAA (South African Model Aircraft Association) blog. The link to the site is http://samodelair.blogspot.com/

There are also some pics in the SAMAA news (www.samaa.org.za)

Hopefully I will fly mine this weekend!

Regards from a sunny South Africa,

Andre
ERRR where abouts , cant find easily ???
Old 03-16-2011, 12:57 AM
softshell29

Default Electric DC-3

Hi

I've bought one of these. Will make it electric. Anything new, any others flown, etc, since last post.

Ed