Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Walkera 5G6 review

Old 03-31-2008, 07:22 PM
laurentius
laurentius

Default Walkera 5G6 review

Hi,
I have bought the new Walkera 5G6 a couple of weeks ago. What a nice little four channel co-axial helicopter.
Please visit my website http://www.walkerasite.com/walkera_5_g_6.html for a full review, photo's and video clips.
You will be amazed how good and stable this little helicopter flies.
Happy flying
Laurentius

[media]http://www.walkerasite.com/walkera_5_g_6_1.JPG[/media]
Old 04-11-2008, 12:03 PM
Lister

Thanks, a very well written review.

I have had mixed experience with my 5G6 which may be a bit different in some aspects from what I read in the review.

Initially I had lots of problems to make it fly and had to make some modifications to get it to fly at all. There was too much looseness everywhere (free play). I had to add a couple of sleeves as well as use some Loctite to secure the bearing properly inside the swashplate frame as well as adding a second linkage to the upper rotor. That last modification solved a bad TBE that I had not managed to solve by adjustments.

The one you reviewed has the metal rotor head and I suppose that made a big difference. That wasn't available when I got mine. If I were to buy another one I would go for that option.

Overall I like the little helicopter very much. There are only two things I don't like about it.

1. It has always had a problem wanting to yaw to the left. I have the yaw trim set all the way to the right but it still goes to the left and I have to move the yaw jaystick some 20% to the right for it to stay straight.

2. The battery is only lasting me some two minutes rather than the 6 to 10 minutes you mention in the review. I even bought new batteries and they also last two minutes so I think there is some problem with the helicopter itself (or perhaps the charger).

You say "The Walkera 5G6 is quite crash resistant". I think that is quite an understatement and I will reinforce it by suggesting that it is almost indestructible. It must be to have survived me flying it for some six months

I've crashed it countless times, some of them very nasty crashes and have as yet not replaced anything because it broke.

To be sure, I have broken the tail boom a dozen or more times and the cockpit is full of cracks, but I just patch up with superglue and bits of plastic from a shopping bag. I have bent the very flimsy landing skids beyond recognition many times, but just bend them back into shape and they're good as new (well, sort of). So after six months of flying and crashing my crash damage bill is just a few cents worth of superglue.

I have spent a few dollars on parts, but not for repairing crash damage. I have replaced the motors and bought 3 new batteries. I also bought (for a couple of dollars) a set of new linkages just for the one I wanted to add to the upper rotor.

I agree wholehertedly with you and recommend this little helicopter. I would strongly suggest that one buys it with the metal rotor head option though if they want to avoid the problems I encountered.
Old 04-11-2008, 07:28 PM
laurentius
laurentius

Thanks for reading my review.

Laurentius
Old 11-01-2008, 11:52 PM
bholden
Brian

Default Out of sync

I've had a really good run out of my 5G6. You have to make sure you get the right one i.e. the 2.4GHZ metal edition. With mine I can do almost anything (except inverted!) and it is incredibly stable.

My mods include heat syncs and an aluminium tail boom to replace the standard frail plastic one that crumbles as you look at it.

Unfortunately something in my heli has just died and I'm not sure what. It started off as if the battery's life had drastically reduced and after a few more flights, the blades went horribly out of sync with the beast thrashing it'self around on the floor. I replaced one motor that I thought was dodgy, but no change. I suspect it might be the signal going from the receiver to that motor, as it sometimes fails to come up to the right speed. Overall too, the machine has drastically lost power.

Could it be that the receiver is faulty? I'm reluctant to order a new one and go to the trouble of replacing it if the problem is elsewhere. Has anyone else had this happen? Cheers.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:21 AM
laurentius
laurentius

Hi,

If your motors are running fine, the only other problem could be that the build in speed controler on the receiver is faulty.

Laurentius
Old 11-03-2008, 05:22 AM
bholden
Brian

Good grief, I've had the thing only a few weeks and the receiver has died already! Oh well, I've put in an order for a new one which will hopefully fix the problem. Thank you for your reply - which confirms my diagnosis. Much appreciated. Brian
Old 11-03-2008, 11:14 AM
Lister

Originally Posted by bholden View Post
Good grief, I've had the thing only a few weeks and the receiver has died already! Oh well, I've put in an order for a new one which will hopefully fix the problem. Thank you for your reply - which confirms my diagnosis. Much appreciated. Brian
Before going to the trouble of replacing the receiver (even if you've already ordered it) I would suggest trying a brand new battery.

My 5G6 goes trhough something similar quite often - a reduction in battery life accompanied by a reduction in power and then eventually it stops flying altogether - just spinning around out of control instead. Replacing the battery with a brand new one has fixed the problem every time but alarmingly each new battery is lasting less than the one before it so it seems something is wearing out in the heli and it is reducing the battery life. Haven't got a clue what that could be though.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:44 PM
bholden
Brian

Oh dear. Those symptoms match my scenario exactly although I have tried swapping batteries including a brand new one with no luck. No physical defect that I know of could flatten batteries that quick. It still seems to come back to faulty electronics in the receiver which must be drawing excess voltage from the batteries (sucking 'em dry).

I do have a reciever on order, so I might as well fit it and see what happens. Thanks for the suggestion. I'll let you know how I get on in a few days.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:40 AM
bholden
Brian

Well, I've just fitted my new receiver and nothing's changed -the problem is still there! I would like to open this discussion to anyone who can help! In the meantime my new new heli is usless with virtually every part having now been changed. Also I have replaced a broken nylon pinion cog on one motor with a black (plastic) replacement one from Chinese Jade and it's as noisy as hell, despite adjusting the motor position. Bah!
Old 12-18-2008, 08:57 AM
bholden
Brian

Default Solution to getting no lift.

Sorry this is late but I have loctated two sources that drastically affect the lift and they both involve friction - nothing to do with the battery.

1. The two tiny 3mm dia bearings on the rotor shaft wear quickly. One is located inside the blue collar (#51 on the downloadable exploded diagram) at the top of the outer hollow shaft. Replace the whole collar which comes in the same packet as the outer shaft. The other bearing is housed in the centre of the upper main gear (#33) directly beneath the main frame. This bearing supports the inner shaft. Push out the old bearing and bung in a new one, or just fit a new upper main gear with the bearing already fitted.

2. The locking sleeve (#22 on the exploded diagram) must be screwed to sit snugly against the bearing directly below - even if the screw doesn't line up with the hole in the hollow shaft. It is vital that this shaft does not move up and down causing the upper and lower main gears to misalign with their respective motor pinions. This is the heart of the beast and any slight snagging or slipping in this area will affect the performance! Keep these matters in check especially after a hard landing and your heli should stay in the air! As the Chinese would say "Let happy fly begin!

Question. Can someone tell me how to remove and replace the two 5mm dia bearings in the main frame and also the 10mm one in the outer swashplate. It seems they're stuck in there for good at time of manufacture and if so, why does Walkera supply them separately as spare parts? Fortunately I haven't found the need to replace those bearings as yet. Dammit, you would think Walkera would have a downloadable repair manual so we don't have to stuff around trying to sort this all out by trial and error.
Old 02-20-2011, 02:17 AM
Mirek001

Originally Posted by laurentius View Post
Hi,
I have bought the new Walkera 5G6 a couple of weeks ago. What a nice little four channel co-axial helicopter.
Please visit my website for a full review, photo's and video clips.
You will be amazed how good and stable this little helicopter flies.
Happy flying
Laurentius
well, I love the heli, but:
1. stock brushed motors said me good bye after two weeks, brushless conversion is perfect solution
2. It is no so easy to change battery holder to be able to use lipo cells with another measures then the stock one, I solve this by custom carbon fiber frame
Old 11-15-2011, 02:37 PM
Barrymore

I was thinking of buying this chopper but having read all the negative posts in this thread have given me second thoughts.