Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

How can you salvage old decales?

Old 02-16-2016, 01:58 PM
Rodneh

Default How can you salvage old decales?

I recently acquired an old kit with water slide decals. However, the decals will not release from the paper backing no matter how long they are soaked. The paper backing will eventually soften enough so that you can rub if off the decal but there is apparently no adhesive surface left to make the decal stick to the desired surface. Is trying to salvage them a hopeless cause?
Old 02-16-2016, 04:31 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

There is a craft product called "Mod Podge" which is used to turn a photo into essentially a decal. Paint the decal face with this stuff first (makes it resist cracking) Let dry overnight. Then soak and remove the backing. Then use the Mod Podge as a glue to affix the old decal.

When used by the directions, you paint it on a picture, Let dry, Soak the paper and rub it off, then use the stuff as glue to affix to wood for making decorations. (Decoupage)

Its water based but is waterproof when dry.

Note: it is NOT heat resistant when dry.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:29 PM
Rodneh

Would that not create a mirror image? Maybe you mean that you can recoat the newly exposed back side of the decal with Mod Podge also just before you place the decal where you want it. That is assuming the facing side of the decal, having dried, will not pose a problem later being that it has a coat of Mod Podge on it that is now on the outer surface of the newly applied decal.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:45 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rodneh View Post
I recently acquired an old kit with water slide decals. However, the decals will not release from the paper backing no matter how long they are soaked. The paper backing will eventually soften enough so that you can rub if off the decal but there is apparently no adhesive surface left to make the decal stick to the desired surface. Is trying to salvage them a hopeless cause?
In those cases .. I go to local shop that makes decals / T shirts etc. and get them to make copies in self adhesive vinyl.

nigel