Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Old 12-08-2006, 11:14 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Post Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

I'm just starting this kit and will document it fully. I have several plans for modifications (more detail later). My research so far shows that I can power this with an AXI 5330 Double using two 10s Lipos. This is a huge plane for electrics and should be a lot of fun to build and fly. I'll try to make regular posts on the progress as I can.

Any suggestions (power, detail, modifications) would be welcome.

Hope you all enjoy this build as much as I will.
Old 12-08-2006, 11:36 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I'M IN!!!

I'll be paying real close attention to this one!

Best of luck to you. It really sounds like an awesome project.
Old 12-09-2006, 04:38 AM
MacMyers
Seeking a right phylange

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
I'M IN!!!

I'll be paying real close attention to this one!

Best of luck to you. It really sounds like an awesome project.
Me too
Old 12-09-2006, 04:42 AM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Can't wait to see this one!

Details, pictures, videos..... yeah, yeah!!
Old 12-09-2006, 11:47 AM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Can't wait to see this one!

Details, pictures, videos..... yeah, yeah!!

Where in SW Missouri? I was born and raised outside of Kansas City in Lee's Summit. Spent most of my youth at the various lakes down in the Ozarks. I can remember going to Silver Dollar City when the roads were still gravel. My dad also put the elevators in the Truman dam while it was being built.

Pictures will be coming. I plan to crack open the box and inventory the contents today. Please realize this will be a long build, mostly due to the cost of the accessory's. (The Judge keeps telling me I have to send half my money to my last hobby). I will be using the scale retracts and I plan on replacing the plastic cowl with a custom fiberglass one. Also a custom machined prop nut. Just thinking but I would like to be able to hinge the wings like the original (my truck bed is 78 inches and the wing span on this is 86.5 inches).

Currently I have a JR Sport 6 ch radio.:o For the size and investment in this plane I'd like to have more channels so a new radio will also have to be in the works.

I would appreciate any suggestions on a reliable/accurate radio/servos for this build. (reliable is the key word)

Thanks for paying attention guys. I hope to be able to make regular reports.
Old 12-09-2006, 02:07 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by rea59 View Post
Where in SW Missouri? I was born and raised outside of Kansas City in Lee's Summit. Spent most of my youth at the various lakes down in the Ozarks. I can remember going to Silver Dollar City when the roads were still gravel. My dad also put the elevators in the Truman dam while it was being built.

Pictures will be coming. I plan to crack open the box and inventory the contents today. Please realize this will be a long build, mostly due to the cost of the accessory's. (The Judge keeps telling me I have to send half my money to my last hobby). I will be using the scale retracts and I plan on replacing the plastic cowl with a custom fiberglass one. Also a custom machined prop nut. Just thinking but I would like to be able to hinge the wings like the original (my truck bed is 78 inches and the wing span on this is 86.5 inches).

Currently I have a JR Sport 6 ch radio.:o For the size and investment in this plane I'd like to have more channels so a new radio will also have to be in the works.

I would appreciate any suggestions on a reliable/accurate radio/servos for this build. (reliable is the key word)

lol that's funny... well not really for you I guess but I got a kick out of it...

I would seriously look at the new DX7 from Spektrum. Full range spread spectrum radio. No channel issues and very reliable. On Horizons website now they have a video with a interview with the AMA Technical director and he really talks it up as being the cats meow.
Old 12-09-2006, 03:21 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

I'm in Webb City on the north side of Joplin. We're not too far away. I wish I could help with some of your questions, but you're way out of my league here.
Old 12-10-2006, 03:06 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

#1. Where's my bench space? The bench is 36" X 81"
#2. Box of wood. Reading on-line I found that if you punch everything out there will be 6lbs of left over scrap wood.
#3. Stab in bones. Only two die cuts. The triangle in the center and the square block below it. Both of which you have to laminate to a 1/2" thick (using 30min. epoxy). The rest is cut from stick wood.

Note: There are so many sticks in this kit it's hard to recognize which is for what. (3 different types of wood) However the guys at Top Flite bundled the sticks by area IE: wing 1, wing 2, fuse 1, stab, etc. They did not however label which bundle was for which. I spent a good 3 hours just inventorying the kit.

#4. Close up of stab corner for scale. (I have planes with with wings shorter than this stab and entire planes that are lighter)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Wheres my bench.jpg
Views:	2152
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	20077   Click image for larger version

Name:	Box of wood.jpg
Views:	2402
Size:	113.1 KB
ID:	20078   Click image for larger version

Name:	Stab Bones.jpg
Views:	2340
Size:	51.9 KB
ID:	20079   Click image for larger version

Name:	ScalePICT0002.jpg
Views:	2283
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	20080  
Old 12-14-2006, 02:16 AM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

#1 Added Hinge Blocks for heavy duty Robart hinges.

#2 Skinned and Rough Shaped Weight 6.5 oz

#3 Completed "Fin" Same constrution as stab.

Note: Does anyone know why Top Flite calls this the "Fin" Back when I was in the F4 community we called it the vertical stab, as opposed to the horizontal stab. Not that the F4 had a "horizontal" stab More of a combined elevator and stab that pointed to the ground at the tips.

My dad was asking me today if I would build a P61 Black widow for him. He said that was his favorite from when he worked on them at Northrop. Anyone know of any kits or plans? Me I've worked on the F4 Phantom II and the F/A-18 ( I prefer the Phantom) Sorry electric guys but someday I'm going to build a Phantom from scratch with twin jets.

I'm getting off subject, here's the pic's.

Name:	Hinge Blocks.jpg
Views:	1302
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	20229   Click image for larger version

Name:	skinned and shaped.jpg
Views:	1198
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	20230   Click image for larger version

Name:	Completed Fin.jpg
Views:	1122
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	20231  
Old 12-14-2006, 01:33 PM
Twizter68
I can't see my plane.....

Subscribed. REA59, you can do the hinged wings, with servos for wing locks. I can send you a plan for this if you want (I'm working up one for functional wingfolds). The F4U was called the Finback back in the war due to the canopy shape, and the radio antenna, according to my Pops (he's a corsair nut).
Old 12-14-2006, 11:18 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Originally Posted by Twizter68 View Post
Subscribed. REA59, you can do the hinged wings, with servos for wing locks. I can send you a plan for this if you want (I'm working up one for functional wingfolds). The F4U was called the Finback back in the war due to the canopy shape, and the radio antenna, according to my Pops (he's a corsair nut).

I was debating with myself on using servos for wing locks. Similar to the way the F4 wing locks worked. Yes I would appreciate your plans, It will help me with my own ideas. I still like to refer to it as the vertical stab. (old habits die hard) Back when I worked on the Phantom I mentioned it to my dad and he didn't even know what it was. (shows my age and his) He still thinks the P61 is the greatest, way better than the P38. I've always loved the corsair though. Probably my time in the Marine Corps and the way Pappy Boington flew it.
Old 12-18-2006, 12:58 AM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

#1. Elevators A lot of surface area. These will be covered in a light colored "mono" coat then painted. The construction is made to resemble the original Corsair's ribs which showed through on the Elevators and the Rudder.

#2 Close up before shaping.

The total die cuts on the stab and elevators is 4. The rest is all cut from sticks. You know what that means, a lot of planeing, sanding and shaping. (not a kit for the faint of heart)

#3 Rough shaped.

Name:	Elevators.jpg
Views:	1268
Size:	132.7 KB
ID:	20385   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elev Before Shaping.jpg
Views:	1379
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	20386   Click image for larger version

Name:	Elev Rough Shaped.jpg
Views:	1623
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	20387  
Old 12-20-2006, 11:06 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Been busy with work the last few days so no progress on the plane. (I have to pay for it somehow) Next step is to tack glue the elevator and stab together to shape the tips. After that its drilling for the hinges. I don't want any air to pass through the gap so I made a couple of sanding bars for this (concave/convex). The main problem with this method is the center of the hinge (pivot point) needs to be at the center of the radius (read circle). With this size plane (elevators 3/4" thick) the center is 3/8" into the elevator leading edge. The only hinge points I have on hand are Robart 1/8". for this kit I'll need the 3/16" hinges. (I need to order some)

Anyone else know of a better way and still maintain that scale "fitted" look?

I received some disk magnets today for access hatches and covers. These are some strong magnets. 3/8"(9.5mm) diameter by 1/8"(3.2mm) thick. These have a 4lb pull and weigh less than a gram each. (my scale wouldn't even read them). I got them from http://www.magcraft.com/products/index.htm I know HL sells them for (approx) 4 for 4$ these were twice as strong and came 30 for 9$+SH. (many different sizes and shapes are available)

My fridge is now also full of them (nothing will ever come off)
Old 12-27-2006, 01:55 AM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

# 1 Rudder
# 2 Rudder Shaped --- Same construction techniques as the elevators
# 3 Wing Parts Glued

Note: buy stock in Epoxy!

These parts are laminated thick. The wing is built "in the air" over the plans as opposed to being built flat over the plans. And these parts require perpendicularity. My square would not allow me to clamp it in place so I made one out of Scrap pieces.

# 4 Home made square
# 5 Wing Center in bones.

Mind you this is just bones of the center wing. With the outers and tips this will stretch to 86.5". The weight of this section right now is 1lb 15.2 oz.

Name:	Rudder2.JPG
Views:	1228
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	20862   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rudder Shaped.JPG
Views:	1342
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	20863   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Parts Glued.JPG
Views:	1402
Size:	54.5 KB
ID:	20864   Click image for larger version

Name:	Built in the air.JPG
Views:	1476
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	20865   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Center Bones.JPG
Views:	1887
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	20866  

Last edited by rea59; 12-28-2006 at 12:28 PM. Reason: Added Pic's
Old 12-27-2006, 09:50 AM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

I've tried to upload the pictures several times and get confirmation that they are done but still they are not showing. (I'll get them up as soon as the system allows)
Old 12-27-2006, 02:43 PM
flypaper 2
Super Contributor

Friedn of mine and I built a 200 CC size Reno Racer, Sea Fury, What we did for hinges was, slide a piece of fibre glass tube over the 3/16 robarts, glued with epoxy, to extend them and strengthen them. Bedded into the back of the stab, if I remember right, they extended out about an inch to fit into the convex leading edge of the elevator where the hinge point was. Looks like a good build.:p
Gord
By the way, it weighed in at 65 lbs

Last edited by flypaper 2; 12-27-2006 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-28-2006, 12:29 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Originally Posted by flypaper 2 View Post
Friedn of mine and I built a 200 CC size Reno Racer, Sea Fury, What we did for hinges was, slide a piece of fibre glass tube over the 3/16 robarts, glued with epoxy, to extend them and strengthen them. Bedded into the back of the stab, if I remember right, they extended out about an inch to fit into the convex leading edge of the elevator where the hinge point was. Looks like a good build.:p
Gord
By the way, it weighed in at 65 lbs

Thanks for the info.

By the way I was able to add the pictures to my previous post.
Old 01-04-2007, 01:37 AM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

I started working on the wing tip panels. I completed the left one then found that the shaped leading edge stock for the right one was warped in two directions. I tried the normal methods of soaking the balsa in warm water then clamping it all straight to dry but that did no good. It just sprang back to warped. This warp is way too bad to try pulling it out during gluing. The piece is a 9/16 x 1 x 30" trapezoid. I've contacted Top Flite and am waiting to hear from them. If that doesn't work I'll have to either buy a replacement or make one.

The servo wire tube is from a leftover monocoat roll.

Also both wing tip panels are built upside down. The left over the right plan drawing and the right over the left. This is because the top spar is flat and straight but the bottom is angled between the last two ribs.

#1 Warped LE
#2 Warped LE
#3 Left wing tip panel

Name:	CRSGW20.jpg
Views:	827
Size:	19.6 KB
ID:	21253   Click image for larger version

Name:	CRSGW20_A.jpg
Views:	882
Size:	19.3 KB
ID:	21254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wing Tip Panel Left.JPG
Views:	1131
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	21255  

Last edited by rea59; 01-04-2007 at 01:40 AM. Reason: Additional info
Old 01-04-2007, 03:26 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Just recived an email from Top Flite a few minuites ago and the replacement LE stick is on its way! Boy was that fast.
Old 01-08-2007, 10:13 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Just received an email from Top Flite a few minutes ago and the replacement LE stick is on its way! Boy was that fast.
I received the box today. In it was two sheets of 3/32 X 3 X 30 balsa sheeting. Not the Wing LE I was expecting. Oh well wait some more. I have a 1 X 3 X 30 chunk I may just cut my own. :p

I did notice something odd though. This is a Top Flite kit. I emailed Top Flite. The response came back from [email protected]. And the parts were shipped directly from Great Planes Model Mfg.

Are all these manufactures in cahoots? Maybe this is why RC prices are so high.
Old 01-08-2007, 11:21 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Hobbico owns Great Planes Top flite and MANY other companies. They also own Tower Hobbies! Horizon owns a bunch of the hobby stuff as well. Then you have a few left like Sig and Lanier and GWS and a bunch of really small guys....

Mike
Old 01-18-2007, 01:16 AM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

No progress on the plane. Still waiting to hear from Hobbico/Top Flite/Great planes about the wrong parts I received. (Emailed twice with no response). In the meantime I just won an auction on EBay for a pair of used Pneumatic retracts. (Robarts) I plan to put these on a separate circuit with the canopy. If I can work out all the details I want to be able to use these for wing folds. The air supply will already be in the plane due to using (new) Robart retracts for the main and tail gear.
Old 01-29-2007, 12:31 AM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Got tired of waiting on Top Flite and went ahead and made my own leading edge to complete the wing.

# 1. Complete wing in bones on the bench

# 2. Wing Standing for size reference.

# 3. Wing features. Blue circles are for flap servos, Purple circles are for Aileron servos, Green circles are for landing gear mounts. And the red lines are where I would need to hinge the wing. I'm backing off this idea some because that is right between the #2 and #3 flap on each side. As you will note only one servo to control all three flaps on each side. Also the landing gear presents a problem with the fold cylinder. Any weight I add to this plane needs to occur forward of the CG. (less lead added later). I don't know, looks like I'll keep it as a one piece wing.

After I sheet the wing I'll be ready to start on the Fuse.

Name:	Complete Wing in Bones.JPG
Views:	1698
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	23068   Click image for larger version

Name:	wing size reff.jpg
Views:	1801
Size:	61.5 KB
ID:	23069   Click image for larger version

Name:	wing features.jpg
Views:	1747
Size:	69.5 KB
ID:	23070  
Old 01-29-2007, 12:36 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Looking good Rea. That is sure going to be one sweet, rather large, bird!

Is that snow on the roof outside?! You ought to have plenty of time to work on her now!

Say hey to your Boy for me and let him know were all proud of him and his fellow servicemen!
Old 01-29-2007, 12:40 AM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Looking good Rea. That is sure going to be one sweet, rather large, bird!

Is that snow on the roof outside?! You ought to have plenty of time to work on her now!

Say hey to your Boy for me and let him know were all proud of him and his fellow servicemen!
Thanks for the PM, I plan to pass that along to him.

Yes its been snowing off and on all day, No real accumulation though... means the runway is still clear

Quick Reply: Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13305 seconds with 34 queries