Scale E-Powered Aircraft Discuss electric powered scale models here.

Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Old 12-28-2008, 02:41 AM
CHAD VEICH

Subscribing to the thread and looking forward to updates.

Chad Veich
Old 12-28-2008, 11:18 AM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

OK guys, I'm here
I know it's been a while ...... been concentrating on my flying and building (ARF's mostly and a scratch built 55" ws ), hoping to get back to the corsair in a couple of days. Yea it's still on the bench and I need the space for a nice crop duster I want to build. :-) At least I'm landing more than crashing now he he but I know my skills are not up to the corsair .....yet, so the build is not really 'pressing'. Been flying mostly in the 6 to 8lb range and having fun with it. Still though I'm itching to get back to it.
Old 01-25-2009, 10:19 PM
Mr-Electric

Default Great work bladerunner1955

Great work bladerunner1955

nice to see someone get on with it and get it done

nice start rea59 just need a big finish

P.S. very good videos bladerunner1955
Old 01-26-2009, 06:28 PM
bladerunner1955

Originally Posted by Mr-Electric View Post
Great work bladerunner1955

nice to see someone get on with it and get it done

nice start rea59 just need a big finish

P.S. very good videos bladerunner1955
As not to clog up this thread with question from me could I ask you Mr. Electric to email me at [email protected] to talk about some Spectrum questions,and some large projects Iam doing at this time?
Thanks from Don aka bladerunner
Old 10-18-2009, 03:15 PM
rea59
BEEP..Bleep..BEEP

This has been a great flying season!! My skills have dramatically improved. I'm starting to get the itch now to complete this project and get it in the air. We'll see how much time I have this winter to devote to working on this................................
Old 11-12-2009, 03:32 AM
PaperAirplane
Subscribed...

Complete it!!! I will try to build a (GWS) Corsair this winter as well.
Old 12-02-2009, 03:44 PM
V6Goose

I'm signed up too...

I'm bashing an H9 and have just decided to convert it to electric (my first) hence my spending so much time in here crash learning how it all works...

Best of luck

Goose

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/fb.asp?m=9290245
Old 04-04-2011, 06:14 PM
UGLYPUG

Well,,, where is the rest of this build?? I am working on one myself,,not with all the fancy mods like this one,, but will be electric ,, electrifly 65cc equivalent size, with two 6s, 5800mah batteries, a two hundred hobbyking esc. I started adding on to another guys giant TF build, Floopy, that stopped posting just like this one. I started last June. It is on RC universe Top Flite F4U corsair gold giant scale project. I started adding on page 2, and some pics. If anyone wants to see,,,, I sure wanted to see how he did his panel lines,,, too late now I guess,,,http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_81...tm.htm#8185932

Last edited by UGLYPUG; 04-05-2011 at 09:15 PM.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:23 PM
krtf4u_corsair
Psalms 1:1-2

I'm a lil late, but I'm subscribed. I guess my names give it away, but the Corsair has been my dream plane since I started flying RC. The gull wing gets me everytime!
Old 04-05-2011, 09:05 PM
UGLYPUG

Originally Posted by krtf4u_corsair View Post
I'm a lil late, but I'm subscribed. I guess my names give it away, but the Corsair has been my dream plane since I started flying RC. The gull wing gets me everytime!
Have you seen anymore updates on this thread?? I would love to see how it turned out.
Old 04-05-2011, 10:13 PM
krtf4u_corsair

Have you seen anymore updates on this thread?? I would love to see how it turned out.
I sure haven't, I didn't realize that this thread was so old. Or I wouldn't of subscribed! haha. Oh well
Old 04-06-2011, 04:20 PM
UGLYPUG

Originally Posted by krtf4u_corsair View Post
I sure haven't, I didn't realize that this thread was so old. Or I wouldn't of subscribed! haha. Oh well
I SENT THE GUY AN EMAIL AND ASKED HIM WHAT WAS GOING ON,,, NO RESPONSE YET,,, IT WAS SURE A NICE START ON THE PLANE,,,

I AM POSTING ON A ANOTHER THREAD,, I PUT THE LINK BELOW,,,
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_81..._2/key_/tm.htm
I TRIED AGAIN,,, I STARTED POSTING ON THE SECOND PAGE OF THAT THREAD, POST 35. SOME GUY FLOOPY STARTED LIKE THIS GUY, AND QUIT. SEE IF YOU CAN CHECK OUT MY POSTS,,, I AM NOT ADDING ALL THOSE FANCY MODS, BUT IT IS ALL ELECTRIC!! I DID NOT KNOW THIS POST WAS HERE, OR I WOULD HAVE STARTED HERE! MAYBE I CAN FINISH HERE?? AFTER ALL, IT WILL BE ELECTRIC. I AM JUST STARTING TO PUT THE FINISH AND SANDING ON THE WINGS AND FUSELAGE. I STILL HAVE A WAYS TO GO, AS I AM MOUNTING THE BATTERIES RIGHT BEHIND THE FIRE WALL, AND WILL HAVE TO MAKE A TOP HATCH THERE,,, I WISH THIS GUY WAS STILL POSTING. I NEED ADVICE ON TRYING TO MAKE RIVETS FOR PANEL LINES. OH WELL,,, WHAT SAY YOU AND I START OUR BUILDING POSTS ON HERE??? I FORGOT TO ASK ARE YOU GOING TO START BUILDING ONE OF THESE??
Old 04-06-2011, 04:41 PM
krtf4u_corsair

WHAT SAY YOU AND I START OUR BUILDING POSTS ON HERE??? I FORGOT TO ASK ARE YOU GOING TO START BUILDING ONE OF THESE??
Haha nah I don't do the building thing. I've only put together some ARF's.
Old 04-06-2011, 04:48 PM
UGLYPUG

Default ARF'S

I almost wish this had been an arf. If i was covering this thing with monokote, i would be a lot farther along. All this sanding is killing my right arm, which has a 60 percent tendon tear at the acromial clavicular joint, as the mri says,,, i guess after the flying season is over, i will have to get the operation,,, but for now,,, i am gonna finish this sucker !! I also have a bonanza, which will be electric, i bought it from a guy who built it from a tf kit, and the a-26 arf, twin, also going to be elec. It is a big, i think around 90 inch wing span. But, i have to finish this thing before i think about those two....
I have built two of the tf 60 size kits before. I lost the last one when, and two other planes, with a futaba 6ex radio transmitter, that futaba finally replaced with a new transmitter, and i got this from a guy that won it but doesn't like to build. So,,,, here i am,,,, did you check out my posts on the other thread??

Last edited by UGLYPUG; 04-20-2011 at 08:43 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 05:19 PM
krtf4u_corsair

i guess after the flying season is over, i will have to get the operation,,, but for now,,, i am gonna finish this sucker
Sounds like your gonna fight through it. Keep it up!

id you check out my posts on the other thread
I'm gonna keep a look in on it. Looks like your doing a pretty good job so far. It's looking good.
Old 05-22-2011, 04:56 AM
UGLYPUG

Default On off connection for batteries and esc

Well folks. I am getting near the time to start installing my wiring and battery compartment. I have mounted the motor, and removed to finish up the other stuff. I have not permanently installed the tail feathers until I get the battery compartment and wiring completed. I am painting everything with the blue and white colors, but I think I will try to fly this thing before I install the cockpit and radial motor, and doing the panel lines and top coat of semi gloss clear. If it doesn't fly, at least I will not lose all that work time! I also assembled some partial carbon fiber push rods for the elevators! The last two feet are carbon fiber and the first is a threaded metal push rod screwed into the carbon rod and glued with JB weld, as recommended by some website that sells these rods. I was going to buy some 38 inch rods from this guy, but he said I had to glue on the ends,, I said, I thought he was selling a finished product, so I would not have to be worried about my glue job, and if I had to glue it, I may as well build one from scratch myself.
..The first foot of metal rod, is near the center of the plane, so it won't add weight to the tail,, and these things are a lot lighter than those rods that come with this thing!
,,Now, my main subject,, I am planning on using two 4MM shorted connectors for an on/off switch , like a deans plug on my smaller planes. My esc has two pos and two neg wires, so I figure on separating the pos wires, and using two "switches" for each one,, so half of the 150 or more amps will travel through each one,, And the negative will just be direct wired of course,,,What do "ya'll" think?? Any other suggestions?
Old 07-01-2011, 03:59 AM
UGLYPUG

Well,, it is ready for a test flight tomorrow,, will let you know how it goes,, wish me luck guys,,,, UglyPug
Old 07-06-2011, 03:32 AM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

UP, I'm with you in spirit brother...

Do well, and be respectful for the first flights. Don't go up hunting Zeke's on the maiden!

Fair wind and following skies for ya...
Old 07-06-2011, 04:57 AM
UGLYPUG

WELL,, Ran up the motor for 4 minutes at 3/4 throttle the night before to make sure the batteries had enough power to get up and back down,, That went well,,, Then out to the field, and ran up for 30 seconds,, then out for some taxi tests,, found the gear out of alignment, and Kevin helped fix that problem, and found that the robarts were not tight! Then installed fresh batteries,, and rolled out to the runway,, then,,,, a little blip of the throttle,,, and and , and,, the ESC went up in smoke! 180 bucks worth of Hobby King Monster 2000 , 200 amp ESC smoked, no other damage, and, I bought all the parts to build last Apr 2010, so out of warranty, 3rd time to power that thing up! Just ordered the Castle Creations HV 160 amp ESC, got a discount through tower, than goodness. Well, maybe next week,, Some time to work on my top flite, discontinued Beech Bonanza Giant scale,, Till next time,,,,, will update on next try..
Old 07-06-2011, 02:53 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by UGLYPUG View Post
WELL,, Ran up the motor for 4 minutes at 3/4 throttle the night before to make sure the batteries had enough power to get up and back down,, That went well,,, Then out to the field, and ran up for 30 seconds,, then out for some taxi tests,, found the gear out of alignment, and Kevin helped fix that problem, and found that the robarts were not tight! Then installed fresh batteries,, and rolled out to the runway,, then,,,, a little blip of the throttle,,, and and , and,, the ESC went up in smoke! 180 bucks worth of Hobby King Monster 2000 , 200 amp ESC smoked, no other damage, and, I bought all the parts to build last Apr 2010, so out of warranty, 3rd time to power that thing up! Just ordered the Castle Creations HV 160 amp ESC, got a discount through tower, than goodness. Well, maybe next week,, Some time to work on my top flite, discontinued Beech Bonanza Giant scale,, Till next time,,,,, will update on next try..
You actually potentially cooked that ESC by doing a nearly 5 minute ground run of the system. NEVER EVER, EVER do that!

As you know now - it is very hard on the power system components especially with hot summer temps.

I am not a huge fan of the Hobby King stuff anyway so not really sure of the reliability of their high amp stuff. In fact all of the high amp stuff tends to be a bit of a crap shoot. Castle makes excellent stuff so that was a good backup choice.

IMHO these high dollar aircraft are worth high quality components.

Sorry about the smoke - but again I limit ground static tests to less than 30 seconds with 10-15 seconds being more the norm.

Mike
Old 07-06-2011, 10:10 PM
UGLYPUG

Thanks for the info,,, Won't do that again,, but, the run up was the night before. The day of the test flight, I only ran it up for the 20 to 30 seconds,, then did some taxi tests for over a minute, and all was well. It acted like the starting capacitors went bad, but they are still fine. The prop just did a little jiggle, and that was that. Why should it decide to go poof, after all the little testing of below 1/2 throttle, on that day, in the early morning while it was still cool? And, the ESC did not even get warm to the touch the night before. The motor did get warm, but not the ESC. I did not run it up wide open the night before, just between 1/2 and 3/4. I will be sure not to do that again, anyway, just in case. I would have worried if the ESC had gotten hot the night before. Also, I got an over sized, 200 amp ESC just to prevent such a thing from happening. It only needs a 160, at most. I am just very confused by it crapping out, when it never got hot. I am worried about the motor maybe getting hot and causing some kind of a problem, but, I ohm check all leads, and each one has the same ohm reading,, so no problem with one set of windings causing a synch problem with the ESC. Thanks,,,, Fried in Florida,,
Old 07-07-2011, 12:44 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Well it does not sound like heat was a big issue then.

Sometimes stuff just fails. I am not a big fan of HobbyKing stuff - so I think your CC 160 is the right way to go.

How many amps are you pulling with the setup?

Mike
Old 07-07-2011, 07:21 AM
UGLYPUG

I haven't made the adapters to hook up the meter yet. I still have 4mm connectors on the meter , and the batteries have the 5.5 or 6mm connectors on them. I will take care of that before my Castle ESC arrives so I can check on that. According to the advice I got from some folks that have been using the same set up I have, I should not have a problem with amp draw. The folks using my motor have been using up to a 26x12 prop, and I am only using a 24x12 prop. I am going to connect a 100 amp esc I have to the motor without a prop and make sure it works before I connect my new 160 amp with a prop and check the amp draw. Do you think if it works like that, it should be ok to test the new one?? If it runs up with no prop, that should mean the motor and the ESC are able to stay in sync? That the windings are OK?? Something funny,, on another site, I was talking to a guy, that had connected his new Castle 120 ESC , and 30 seconds later, it caught fire, and he was not even running it up,,, so, I guess you just never know, like a gasser throwing a rod, or the carb diaphragm crapping out. Gasser or electric,, they all have problems. My sixty size hanger 9 corsair with a HK 100 amp and HK 120 size motor and 3 blade 16x10 prop have been running great for over a year,, my favorite plane! I am looking forward to this thing doing the same. thanks again,,, fried in fla,,
Old 07-07-2011, 03:19 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Yep the high power stuff just tends to fail suddenly and without much warning. It is strange and unpredictable.

The issue with trusting others is you are at their measurement and accuracy mercy. While this is generally good - sometimes they are WAY off. I have a buddy who makes remarkable models but still uses the "finger" test for amp draw. Finger on the motor, ESC and battery - "O that seems OK". I have watched him fail many times due to that.

You can test with no prop - I do that frequently to test the ESC and motors. I usually use a much smaller battery (i.e. 3 cell on a 6 cell setup) since I am just testing anyway. That usually just means I can hold the motor in my hand.

I can't remember if the 160 CC esc has data logging but if it does you can use that for amp draw. I use the ICE ESC's for that data logging - then no meter is needed!

Also - when you get to 100+ amps you really need to get a DC clamp on type meter IMHO. The in-line meters add wire (BAD) and can cause ESC voltage ripple (bad that is what the caps are trying to smooth out) and can smoke stuff too.

Isn't high voltage/amp stuff fun! Random testing, smoking equipment motors failing etc... YEA!
Old 07-07-2011, 05:42 PM
UGLYPUG

You are taking all the fun out of this!! I may have to think about putting in a (gasp) gas motor,,,, but, I have seen them conk out on take off too,,,, And they are so messy,,, Have you run many 65CC equivalent size electric motors? What kind of luck have you had? http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1225415&page=5 This is where I have been talking to some guys that have been having some success with my particular motor. They sounded pretty enthusiastic. Hope the link posted and you don't have to type it in,,, Ah,, it worked,,,

Last edited by UGLYPUG; 07-07-2011 at 05:44 PM. Reason: typo

Quick Reply: Top Flite Giant Scale F4U Corsair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14441 seconds with 12 queries