Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

2 P40 Warhawk Scratch Builds

Old 07-25-2007, 05:55 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

It's not a huge task to hollow them out as I go along, that's the nice thing about this design, it allows you to configure it to suite your own gear instead of forcing you to stay compliant with only one configuration.
Old 07-25-2007, 12:47 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default #2

Ok, it's geared up, the COG is screwed, but I'm using a smaller pack, ie. 11.1, 1000 mah 3 cell set up, the orignal one I did on the other one is perfect should I opt to go that route, I just happen to have 3 of the others and would not want to split up flying time on two planes due to having to share the same pack, it's right in line with you 3d guys, I may add more weight to the nose on the field for it's maiden.

Photo is shown of it ready to go now.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	15.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	119.1 KB
ID:	36298  
Old 07-25-2007, 03:38 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Hey you know what would make the P40's look even more authentic? If they had the nose cones. Once the nose cones were on i think that would make them look even better. But otherwise great planes again. Cant wait till you take em out flying. Oh and do you think you could paint the shark mouth design on the nose of one of your P40's or is that not the kind your P40 is. If you dont want to do any of the things i have suggested then thats ok. There your planes after all. Oh dont forget to take a vid of their flight. I would like to see how well they work.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:00 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

When I have time, I'll not only put the shark mouth on it, I'll mess with it's overall look and make people think it's a full scale version. I will even get it with functioning guns "shooting rubber pellets", bombs "water based", pivoting clear canopy, retractable landing gear, and anything the full scale bird does, it will have. For now, they are in the initial phase just to make function and resemble WW2 birds, I have plans for others of different designs very soon, I just love seeing these in the air.
Old 07-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Latest

4 more ready to get wire cut!

Name:	secondbatch.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	104.7 KB
ID:	36509  
Old 07-27-2007, 03:36 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Wow looks like you have alot of foam there. Where do you get that kind and what kind is it agian? Well im not doing the F4F Wildcat idea till i get like a neon radio system. The SDM piper cub's electronics arent very good so i wil build a beaver instead. Well phase one is complete for me, Totally destroying the plane and gutting it.

What are you going to build next.
Old 07-28-2007, 02:51 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

I get the foam from Home Depot, check out the insulation isle. Except for the cowl and canopy stock, this is the beginnings of 4 more P40 kits. 3 of them are already accounted for, I'll likely be building the 4th to show here. I have a new revision I want to try out that may really eliminate the sanding process for the most part, I'm going to sheet it in food box foam stock, I also am likely going with a stick mount motor so the cowl is going to be longer this time.

Along what you are doing with your plane , I had some relative success with yanking the gear from a parkzone cub, the gear is heavier then what we typically use, but still technically usable. The receiver was just a flat exposed board, so you want to use computer tech when it comes to handling it, ie. make sure you are grounded to eliminate static electrical shock which could damage it, that and take a photo of it, very clear one, prior to handling it since the soldering connections aren't that good and tend to break off, so it's good to have that as a reference. I have a firebird receiver that crumbled on me when I tried to do that with it, so am kicking myself for not taking the photo.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:08 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by SaucerGuy View Post
I'm going to sheet it in food box foam stock
Huh Watts this that you speak of ??
Old 07-28-2007, 03:13 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Wait no im not using the Pkz J3 Cub's electronics, im using the SDM Piper Cub's electronics thats why i said they are not that good. But i was thinking about doing that keepin the same TX and getting a fuselagew/electronics with the same channel. Right now my budget is tight so i am just working with what i have. Also about the insulation foam i only can find the pink kind.

>Make sure you are grounded to eliminate static electrical shock which could damage it.
Can you explain this more? Thanks.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:34 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default he he

Originally Posted by smokejohnson View Post
Huh Watts this that you speak of ??
Well, some people like to sheet these foamies in balsa, and upon tinkering land, it came to me, why not just sheet it in foam plate stock. I typically use the plate stock I get from the dollar store as base material, at least the flat, even part, for making prototype chuck gliders when I come up with a new concept in plane design, it helps with fine tuning the design to make flyable before committing to the full scale RC version. I cut up a few squares from a few plates, had a piece of scrap I used when testing out the latest mini foam cutting bow, so was very much less then perfect, did some rough sanding "80 grit", didn't even bother to take out the ridges to see if imperfections are going to show through, hit it and the stock with a very light coat of 3m 777, and it stuck together flawlessly with a nice even shiny finish. It even made it stronger of a finished piece and I only did a small section on one side, the only drawback I can see is there are seams between where the sheeting goes, but those can be filled in, that or left alone, the pieces I cut out were not perfect. It may add extra weight to the plane, but I suspect, not nearly as much as a few coats of Krylon.

I'm working on another element in regards to treating the surface of the foam from my secret lab, hehe, I'll let you guys in on later, I just need to succeed with it before showing, but it will be an industry first if I can make it work and will make a nice helper compound on finishing the surface of foamies in general without the added weight spackle incurs.

Along the cub, I was mainly referencing the parkzone cub, but the same concept is for other inexpensive planes for recycling gear. I know what you mean along the budget element, I tend to only have 3-4 planes fully geared ready to fly for that reason alone, then again, I only bring 2-3 planes at the most to the field so no need to have all of them outfitted.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:48 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Hmm 3-4 planes still sound good so far i only have 1 real plane the Pkz J3 Cub soon i will buy more real planes though or maybe kits and then buy radios. I think im working on getting an Optic 6 for now. But along with my builds im still working on getting the Polystyrene foam and also i have to enlarge a small print off by about 10-15 times with a ruler and a calculator. Aarrghhh..... what a pain. But otherwise good idea with the foam. After all an aircraft's enemy is weight.
Old 07-28-2007, 03:53 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Lowes also carries it, you might want to check them out as well. It's a pretty common packing material, you might find some at furniture and retail stores in general, you just gotta ask.

I'd reccomend just getting mainstream gear since you can bash out your own planes, the cub is just meant as a 1st time trainer, you obviously are moving past that stage so might as well get the real gear.
Old 07-28-2007, 04:09 AM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Now that you mention your gliders I understand what your talking about now.

Man I can't wait to get my hands on this plane .
Old 07-28-2007, 05:02 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Hey Saucerguy,
Great job on those planes... More pictures when you get the chance..
Old 07-28-2007, 02:03 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Progress

Thanks Airhead, I'll keep posting photo's, and hopefully, smoke will be doing the same here as well.

Your wait is going to be over soon Smoke, I'm getting close.

I'm building helper jigs to support the primary ones created on the first run as I go along, so progress is not optimal., The third run, I'll have a few more to help with the process further, mainly to improve accuracy, the aft section of the fuse is the biggest one to really fine tune since it has such a rather complex taper to it and using the hand bow in this area does have it's limits, so that's the next one to really go to town on afterwards with fine tuning. I'm shooting for cnc wire cut looking, or close enough to it as my eventual goal, as it stands now, you can tell it was done by hand, so sanding is going to be part of it, as stated early on.

All I have left to wire cut are the wingtips, shown in the raw block stock form in the front of the photo, cut out the tail feathers and cowl/canopy stock, the latter gets bashed by hand with a sanding block for now as SOP, "standard operating procedure" for the kit itself, the advantage of it with the cowl still has me leaning towards keeping that element as is, and when it comes down to it, getting it to match to the nose of the fuse exactly each time no matter what it's sanded down to may prove to be impossible. When I get the fiberglass one rehashed into perfection, I'll have that as a regular option later on as well. The canopy I may still mess around with in vaccume form land later equally, I've never been able to vaccume form anything worthy of heavy reproduction, so I gotta work on my set up for that, the fiberglass one I did in the first plane, it just felt too small to be doing in that type of material to me, but this being a kit in progress, options and ideas change to what's best suited for each application.

Name:	16.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	112.1 KB
ID:	36589  
Old 07-28-2007, 09:40 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by SaucerGuy View Post
Thanks Airhead, I'll keep posting photo's, and hopefully, smoke will be doing the same here as well.
You bet. I'll post pics of my build here and probably maiden it with either Rabbitcreek or Grasshopper. So maybe I can get some pics of the maiden as well.
Old 07-28-2007, 11:24 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Thought I would share these for those of us that are not artistically inclined. I found them on RCG. There was a few more and several files and links I didn't follow.

Name:	a462367-92-teethsmall.JPG
Views:	213
Size:	38.8 KB
ID:	36635   Click image for larger version

Name:	a502363-186-TigerShark1.JPG
Views:	504
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	36636   Click image for larger version

Name:	a502364-213-TigerShark2.JPG
Views:	215
Size:	43.2 KB
ID:	36637   Click image for larger version

Name:	a979443-162-FlyingTigersDecal01.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	36638   Click image for larger version

Name:	a980317-31-TigersPlain.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	36639  

Click image for larger version

Name:	t980318-40-thumb-TigersV.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	6.6 KB
ID:	36640  
Old 07-29-2007, 12:24 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Hey cool find . I like the tigershark mouth its cool that would look nice on a P40.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:58 AM
300Spartans

subscribed
Old 07-29-2007, 12:33 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default Now it's 4 p40 Warhawks scratch built at once.

I redid two of the aft fuses in new stock, they came out better, also built another wire cutter for the small stuff, it's more rigid so that's cool in that area.

All of the tail feathers are cut out, and I'm going to cut out the pink foam stock for the cowl and canopy next. I'm digging seeing all of these in production birds at my shop, what a sight.

300Spartans, welcome aboard here!!!

As you can see from the phto, not a huge matter in regards to getting the fuse and wing working via. the hot wire cutter. The main pieces in those general regards are shown. This is just one of the four I'm cutting out.

Name:	17.jpg
Views:	324
Size:	114.2 KB
ID:	36710  

Last edited by Saucerguy2; 07-29-2007 at 01:26 PM.
Old 07-29-2007, 03:00 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Looks good Brian.
Old 07-29-2007, 05:56 PM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Wow 4 planes at once, i wish i had a wire cutter.
Old 07-30-2007, 09:09 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by GreenAce92 View Post
Wow 4 planes at once, i wish i had a wire cutter.
What you can do when you have one. They aren't that hard to make, it's the jigs that take the time.

Ok, kit contents broken down,

18" pushrod stock for the ailerons and elevator, extra stock for joining the elevator sections
10 bamboo skewers
3 laminate control horns
1/16" basswood firewall/motor mount stock
Sheet styrene for the canopy
Pink foam stock for the cowl
Eps pieces, wire cut and ready for assembly for the fuse and wings
Crafts board foam tail feathers
Crafts board foam ailerons

What's required for assembly,
Your favorite foam glue
Extacto knife
Packing tape
Strapping tape
Sandpaper, various grits
Drill and bits
Electronics

As you can see from the photo, it's pretty much like putting together lego's, the only hand bashing you have to do is the cowl, the advantage of that is to accomodate the broadest variety of motor's and if you break it "all raise their hands if you break cowls guys", you can easily make another. A small section of the wing core needs to be cut from the stock to function as the wing saddle, it fits right in to the fuse nicely and you can even shape it to match the saddle of the scale version, I didn't do the latter on the first two prototypes shape wise, just saying, it can be done for those die hard scale guys.

The canopy, this is something I just came up with and it's a slick way of doing them, the p40's, original design helped immensly with going this route, I guess they knew what they were doing back in the day the full size version was designed. All you do is cut a rectangle out of the stock, cut two slits on the bottom, and bend it to shape, the two slits slide in, tucked away, once glued together, it forms a nice, scale like canopy. Going this route makes it super easy to redo should you break your's and it comforms for variences should there be any deviation with the final shape of the fuse. I'll elaborate with a photo on it later, but this is a break through to me and eliminates the need to vaccume form, fiberglass, or bash out of foam.

Name:	18.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	36824   Click image for larger version

Name:	19.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	117.8 KB
ID:	36825  

Last edited by Saucerguy2; 08-04-2007 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:16 PM
smokejohnson
Super Contributor

Have you had a chance to fly 1 yet Brian?
Old 07-30-2007, 11:42 PM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Default finally

I was waiting for someone to ask me that, I wanted to keep them looking pretty for the final photo with the kit's shown next to them. They will be battle tested either this evening, or tomorrow, I've put my focus entirely upon construction and revisions to the process, so looking forward to some stick time on them.

Designs like this, where I stay within the confines of a traditional design always work out well the first time for me, I have no doubt they are going to fly excellent.

Quick Reply: 2 P40 Warhawk Scratch Builds

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12612 seconds with 23 queries