Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Why join a club?

Old 06-18-2010, 04:57 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Some of my club buddies and I were talking about looking for a second flying field for our club that is more suited to slope soaring. It would be nice to have two fields.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:06 PM
Dakmanau
New Rookie

Default Joining a Club

Interesting comments about joining a Club. Folks I am a raw rookie who has been interested in RC since my teens but never quite got to the stage of actively pursuing the hobby, until now. I did once buy a SAR boat kit and constructed it, but it never went any further.

I am now close to retirement and with a little bit of the folding stuff to spare I want to now get my feet off the ground. I have ordered a Spektrum DX7i Tx from the local Hobby shop as well as the Phoenix flight sim so I can practice.

I thought about joining a Club, did a search and found one almost in my backyard (Fagan Park). They have Sec contact details on their website but I decided to drop by the field first and see what the setup was like. Great field, numerous members (was a Sunday) in attendance, struck up a conversation with the vice-pres, received some good advice, left feeling that joining the Club was the way to go.

Emailed the Sec, wait, wait wait, still waiting for response (no bounce message), then decided to phone, immediately went to message bank, left message, did this twice, still no response ! This was a couple of weeks ago. Makes you wonder if the Club is just slack in handling enquiries or whether the Club is closed to new members.

Anyhow I will continue to wait, may even go back to the field and seek out any committee members present and ask what gives.

Great site

Cheers,
Dakmanau
Dural, NSW, Aust

Originally Posted by AEAJR View Post
If you don't get a response, don't be discouraged. When I first started looking for a club I didn't hear back from most when I sent an e-mail. Some responses came a month later.

Now, having been part of a club for a while, I have learned a few things that may be helpful.

Clubs are not businessess. They don't have paid staff. Evey job is handled by a club member. Some are very good at administrative stuff, like dealing with e-mail and some are aweful.

Jobs change often. The e-mail address listed may no longer be valid. They may have forgotten to change it or have been unable to get it updated.

As stated above, sometimes, if a phone number is listed, a call is better. You might learn that the contact listed is no longer the contact. Where they might just delete an e-mail as JUNK, they might be happy to speak to you on the phone. Everyone is different.

If you get no response from the club directly, go to the AMA site and look for the contact list. I would send an e-mail to someone in charge of membership or clubs and ask for their help.

Clubs are made up of people and some are not good administrators. Keep trying.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:15 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

You sound like me. Wanted to get into RC all my life but didn't pick it up till 10 years ago.

My advice is to see if there is another contact listed for the club on the web site. It is possible that contact info is out of dates. Bad, but it happens. Or go back to the field, let them know and see if you can find another person do talk to.

Unfortunately clubs are made up of people and people change and people leave and e-mails change and .... stuff happens. We found out that the e-mail contact on our web site had become corrupted and nothing was coming through for who knows how long.

Go back to the guys at the field. Go to a meeting. If e-mail and phone don't work, just show up. That is usually the best approach.

BTW, I presume that is a DX7s you ordered. That is the current model. Nice radio. Can do a lot.

There is no DX7i. The original DX7 is obsolete and I think there was a DX7 that had special very low latency properties. Both are now obsolete.
Old 03-25-2014, 10:31 PM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Dakmanau View Post

Emailed the Sec, wait, wait wait, still waiting for response (no bounce message), then decided to phone, immediately went to message bank, left message, did this twice, still no response ! This was a couple of weeks ago. Makes you wonder if the Club is just slack in handling enquiries or whether the Club is closed to new members.

Yeah, your emails might have gone to the club members spam filter. As AEAJR suggested, it would be a good idea to just go back to the club field, and explain what happened. The Secretary might not even know about it.

(Australia is making the news around here, what with that jetliner that was lost in 2000 km or so from your country.)
Old 03-26-2014, 03:49 AM
Dakmanau
New Rookie

Thanks for the feedback AEAJR and kyleservicetech, yes the junk mailbox may be villian however anyone responsible for maintaining an email address should be regularly checking the junk mailbox for valid mail.

I have checked Google for any other contact details but nothing new revealed. I will probably go back to the field and further my enquiries this way. There is another Club in the area however its field is about 3/4 hour away, however I will keep it as a back-up.

At this stage I'm not in a great hurry to join as the membership period runs from June to June and membership made now will expire in June and then one is up again for dues for the following year. But I do fully intent to join a Club.

Spektrum DX7i should read DX7s, my error thanks for the correction.

RE: (Australia is making the news around here, what with that jetliner that was lost in 2000 km or so from your country.)

Yes it's a strange one. What with the currents and the attrocious weather conditions and the depth of the ocean floor one's eyes glaze over as to whether the crash site and the flight recorders will ever be located. I suppose one can look at the Titanic as a case stude, took a long time but she was located eventually also HMAS Sydney off the WA coast during WWII, lost for ages but eventually discovered. Not sure how long the data in the recorders will remain viable. Also on the East coast, Sydney hosted two of your baseball teams last weekend playing the MLB season opening games, LA Dodgers and the Diamondbacks, created a lot of interest. I would love to see a cricket test match held in Yankee Stadium sometime.

Cheers
Old 03-26-2014, 04:01 AM
gramps2361
Community Moderator

Go back to the club and talk to someone there about joining. I had the same email problem. I found out the email went to the old club president who was no longer affiliated with the club, and was not even flying. He took up golf.
I was introduced to the club president at a RC auction in my town next thing I knew I was a member of the club.
Yes very poor to have the wrong email listed on the AMA for our club that has been changed now.
Good luck getting I love being part of a club.
Old 03-26-2014, 08:27 AM
Dakmanau
New Rookie

Thanks Gramps2161, I'll continue to persevere and drop by the field and try and russell up some interest. I think it is proper drill to get into the ear of a senior committee member so as to make them aware of any issues.

Cheers