Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Why join a club?

Old 09-20-2005, 07:31 PM
2dogrc
2Dogrc's RC Warehouse

Found another reason to join a club! More ribbons to cut when flying e-combat!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:17 PM
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

http://media.putfile.com/The-Carnage9

www.putfile.com

Here is another reason.
Old 09-20-2005, 09:25 PM
2dogrc
2Dogrc's RC Warehouse

Originally Posted by debhicks
What are you running for planes and motors?

2dogrc
Old 09-20-2005, 09:35 PM
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

They have various types. Some have planes from NE Sailplanes and have opinions about em. Didn't really study them all that close. It was just too much fun to watch. Everyone had a blast including Bliss T. who was in attendance.

We are going to put together some of these gws zero's and use them. Plus have a whole box of combat planes we bought a few years ago that we are going to put together and use as well.

Thought you would all enjoy the fun. These kind of events should never take place unless it is in a controlled area such as a club. We had an EMT there in case anything may have happened. But all was well. This took place in Otto, NC. Didn't even know there was an Otto NC until last weekend.

The club put on a huge BBQ and we camped out and had a bon fire and night flying. It was a 1 day event that stretched into three. The joys of being an AMA member and associated with clubs, no matter where they are at.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:06 PM
2dogrc
2Dogrc's RC Warehouse

Check out this one!
http://www.2dogrc.com/Website%20pics/2dogrc_low.wmv

2dogrc
Old 09-20-2005, 10:13 PM
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

Looks like you were all having fun.

We enjoyed ourselves and was made feel very welcome.

That is why we are members of a club and organization. It's what its all about.
Old 09-20-2005, 10:23 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by qban_flyer
$300 just to join? I refused to join one in this area as they wanted $100 for an "initiation" fee and $85 yearly dues. The clubs I joined are $65, $52 and $40 a year each and don't require an "initiation" fee. As a matter of principle I refused to join the "rich" one. Initiation fees are nothing more than highway robbery!
I imagine that club has some pretty high expenses to deal with to charge that much for dues and fees. I think I would have walked at that rate as well.

My club is $35 per year and a one time $25 initation. However we have no property costs, no runway, not facilities of any kind. Just a big open field. The county cuts the grass a few times a year and we have a riding mower that we use to cut grass runways for Aerotowing out scale gliders.

The club has 4 sailplane winches and retrivers. That is about all we have but for our kind of flying, it is great!
Old 09-20-2005, 10:45 PM
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

The clubs we belong to have lease agreements. One pretty heafty for the field itself. We found the field and a corps group of 12 went in to get it. But we decided not to charge initiating fees to new members. Since the field with the heafty lease is in the middle of a pasture we needed to get a fence up to keep the livestock off of the run way. Love the free furtilizer, but don't like shoveling it.

Then the club went to the expense of getting a lawn mower which requires continual upkeep. We just had one donated. It took a few dollars to get it up to par to cut but that is now under control. Can't wait to see the fuel bill. We have to mow once a week and sometimes twice.

We pay someone to cut the field at the club in Asheville, so that is an expense. It all adds up. If you have a large club then the dues could come down. Especially if there aren't going to be improvements to pay for in the future.

I was a member of a club that charged $95.00 initiation fee and $65.00 a year for the privilege of flying on sod farms. Great open fields but very restrictive. However there was nothing for shelter, stands or anything. We could not improve or cut the grass so were at the mercy of the land owner. Sod owner. This club has a lot of members and are happy to fly at the big open places and the money is sitting somewhere in one persons pocket. There is nothing spent on the membership. 0 dollars. They (he) wouldn't even spring for a Christmas party for the club members.

So there are good and bad clubs. Usually it's not the club but the governing body.

Look on the AMA site and you can find the clubs that are all around you. You may be surprised as to how many are really around places you can fly.

There is good and bad sides to everything, even in the happiest moments.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:33 PM
BadTroll413

As bad as it may sound I never pay a fee to join any association. Be it health club gun club or what ever. Being charged for the privvy of being a member seems strange to me. I usually ascribe to the Great Groucho MArx when viewing clubs.....He said, " I would never join a club that would have me as a member."

Not to sound cynical because as you have said..there are good and bad to all things. I have found many places here to fly with out trouble and I keep in mind others around so as not to disturb them. For the most part there is no one to disturb. I dont chase birds and I dont bother the wildlife. I also find flying solo to be peaceful. As most things in life it is usually the few who create the problem and the many suffer for it. However I do disagree that only clubs can run safe events. Common sense and a back bone is all it takes. Safe is a relative term, what is safe to some may not be safe to someone else or it maybe overkill. I researched one club that wants possesion of all your gear if you are not flying. Seems to me if that step needs to be taken you dont trust the people you are flying with very much.

The clip was great. Looks like alot of fun. I had my own air combat encounters a couple of times when other people decided to take over a location that basically was an open area. Actually they didnt want just the one area, they wanted all the areas I found. But that is another story and hence why I usually fly alone.

Also.....no one answered about the new radios that keep you off of in use air traffic signals. They sound like a step in the right direction.

I also have an equipment design question.....maybe this is the wrong forum for it.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:51 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by AEAJR
I imagine that club has some pretty high expenses to deal with to charge that much for dues and fees. I think I would have walked at that rate as well.

My club is $35 per year and a one time $25 initation. However we have no property costs, no runway, not facilities of any kind. Just a big open field. The county cuts the grass a few times a year and we have a riding mower that we use to cut grass runways for Aerotowing out scale gliders.

The club has 4 sailplane winches and retrivers. That is about all we have but for our kind of flying, it is great!
The club I referred to in my area has no expenses to speak of. They fly from a county provided field. The paved runway was paid for by the county ($492,000 for the entire layout including a large shelter referred to by everyone as the 'pavillion'). The grass is cut by county employees, the trash is removed by (you guessed it) the county refuse removal company and the Jiffy John is provided by the county also.

One more thing. Club meetings are held at the County Office Building complex. In one of the meeting halls, complete with overhead projector and electrified 12 foot viewing screen.

While I can't talk about the club charging $300, I had no way to justify spending $185 on the club in my area, one that has no expenses to speak of.

Old 09-20-2005, 11:55 PM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by debhicks
Looks like you were all having fun.

We enjoyed ourselves and was made feel very welcome.

That is why we are members of a club and organization. It's what its all about.
Has anyone here watched this Slow Stick Kombat video? These planes are all stock. It is a riot to watch them, go at each other with a Slow vengeance! Mid airs are a thing of beauty!

http://www.ripnburn.rchomepage.com/SS_Combat2.wmv

Old 09-21-2005, 01:23 AM
Tommyr

Has anyone here watched this Slow Stick Kombat video? These planes are all stock. It is a riot to watch them, go at each other with a Slow vengeance! Mid airs are a thing of beauty!

http://www.ripnburn.rchomepage.com/SS_Combat2.wmv

I'd like to but I get this:

"The requested URL /SS_Combat2.wmv was not found on this server."
Old 09-21-2005, 01:28 AM
2dogrc
2Dogrc's RC Warehouse

same here!
Slow stick combat is slowwwww We use the same motors in the flat foamies and MUCH FASTER!!!! Midairs happen, but planes are usually flying in the next heat! If not, you only lost about $5 of foam...try replacing ANYTHING on a slowstick for $5!
Old 09-21-2005, 03:19 AM
qban_flyer

Exclamation

Originally Posted by Tommyr
I'd like to but I get this:

"The requested URL /SS_Combat2.wmv was not found on this server."
Hi Tommyr,

My mistake. I tried to link you all directly to the section on that web page. It didn't work because it's an expired link (2003) that was featured in R/C Groups first and has been moved to its owner's website since. Here goes his main page's URL: http://www.ripnburn.rchomepage.com/

From there scroll down to "AWESOME Slow Stick Combat", click on the Combat hyperlink in red color IN THE RIGHT COLUMN and Windows Media Player will do the rest for you.

The clip is 5 minutes and 13 seconds in length and as I said above, it dates back to 2003, long before others thought about E-Combat. It's rather hilarious because of the lumbering speed at which these planes do "Combat". I just downloaded it and saved it.

These guys were doing E-Combat with Slow Sticks long before anyone else ever thought that E-Combat was a possibility, much less to think about using Slow Sticks as "fighters". The guys in that group really know how to get something as ordinary as a Slow Stick and turn a bunch of them into a club Combat event.

Can anyone fathom six or seven exactly alike "combat" planes in the air at the same time? Many of us have seen R/C Combat before, but all the models in the air were different colors, shapes, and sizes. Combat that way is easier as you can distinguish one plane from the rest in the flying crowd, not so with the Slow Sticks. They all are RED.

These guys really know how to have FUN! My hat was off to them back in '03 and still is today in '05!

Last edited by qban_flyer; 09-21-2005 at 05:07 AM. Reason: Correction

Old 09-21-2005, 03:36 AM
Tommyr

Hi Tommyr,

My mistake. I tried to link you all directly to the section on that web page. It didn't work because it's an expired link (2003) that was featured in R/C Groups first and has been moved to its owner's website since. Here goes his main page's URL: http://www.ripnburn.rchomepage.com/

Thanks! Just downloaded it and will watch it tomorrow. Time for bed here.

Tom
Old 09-21-2005, 03:58 AM
qban_flyer

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Tommyr
Thanks! Just downloaded it and will watch it tomorrow. Time for bed here.

Tom
You'll be LOL during the playback, especially with the sound turned up.

Old 09-21-2005, 04:39 AM
2dogrc
2Dogrc's RC Warehouse

Default All the same color!

I never thought about all the same color! Our planes are similar...except for my goofy Miss America one in the picture below!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	all in a row!.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	1770   Click image for larger version

Name:	the gang.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	80.7 KB
ID:	1771  
Old 09-21-2005, 05:12 AM
qban_flyer

Talking

Originally Posted by 2dogrc
I never thought about all the same color! Our planes are similar...except for my goofy Miss America one in the picture below!
Yeah! That's what makes it so much challenging fun.

If you watch the video you can hear a couple of the guys saying they have no clue as to which plane is theirs among the ones in the air!

Old 11-03-2005, 01:50 PM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Any of you guys near Leesberg Florida? Looking for a club and a hobby store near there.
Old 01-23-2006, 03:23 AM
AEAJR
Community Moderator

We have about 75 members in our club. Some are pure sailplane/thermal guys. Some are pure parkflyer. Some fly e-gliders. Some fly hand launch, a couple fly free flight rubber and some a mix.

I added slope soaring as a non-club event, ( not at our field ) but something a bunch of us have come to enjoy.

Well today was just great!

9 am - two of my club buddies and I head for the local slope. On the way another club guy calls and we tell him where to meet us. Kids on an outing!!!!

We meet up with another club guy and my friend who is not in the club. We slope soar till noon and have a great time. Then the lift dropped off.

12:30 - we are back at the club field and there are 6 guys flying thermal gliders and a winch is all set and waiting for us. I bring out my thermal plane and head for the winch. The other two pull out e-gliders and the third guy prefers a hi-start. Up we all go.

At one point there were 6 sailplanes in the air and 5 were in the same thermal. It was just great! Of course I was so high with my 2M plane was getting really small, and I was high man. - 40 minutes later I land.

Then one of the free flight glider guys goes and hangs his plane in a tree. 4 of us land to go help him get it down. Mission accomplished. Back to the planes!

Now I am flying electrics and two other guys pull out electrics too and we are running around the field with 'em. This is my first flight with this plane so I am playing with trim, balance and the like.

Just before we get ready to call it a day, I pull out my discus launched glider. Three launches and one of the guys wants to throw it for me. 30 minutes later he is hooked and can't stop launching the plane. We practically had to pry it out of his hands. We are all laughing and having a great time. What a bunch of kids.

Five pm and the last of the planes are stowed. Another club member showed up 30 minutes ago just to watch. It is just the 3 of us now. It is getting frosty and the sun is going down and we don't want to leave. What a day!

Slope, 2 & 3 M sailplanes, free flight gliders, small electrics, electric sailplanes, and a discus launched glider. All in the air on the same day among a great bunch of guys.

THAT is why you want to join a club!

Last edited by AEAJR; 01-23-2006 at 02:20 PM.
Old 01-23-2006, 06:31 AM
Rugar
FAA# OUTLAW!

Great story Ed!
Old 01-23-2006, 07:04 AM
Geoff_Gino
Geoff Ogden

Hi Ed

You are exactly right and all the advantages of AMA.
Great story.
Old 01-23-2006, 08:48 AM
helo-watt

Default Club woes

Well guys (and girls, Deb) all that banter about clubs was really informative. There are two clubs in my area that I know of. Both are rather "clicky, and neither of them is very receptive to the thought of us electric flyers bringing our "toy airplanes" around. I went to the clubs on two occasions: Once with help for helis, and once for help with planes. I tried to join both times. Once I was met with the response, "We don't do electrics here. Come back when you have a real plane." Also, one of the clubs wanted me to endure some weird sponsor/ voting-in process after an application fee. WHAT? Thanks buddy, but no thanks. I left the days of being "allowed" into a click way back in grade school. And all this scrutiny to go on a Saturday morning and wait all day for a spot in the pattern of an over-crowded field? The clubs seem like a place where the people who had their lunch money taken from them as kids come to unleash their revenge on society. The "field" I fly in is actually the parking lot/ area of a large sports complex. I have acres of flat, short grassy area, and a huge parking lot for a runway. There are no houses for at least a mile, and because the sport is seasonal, I have this place to myself for all but two or three weekends a year. As far as knowledge and expertise is concerned, I've learned more from a few posts here than I ever did in two or three weekends of waiting on the sidelines at the clubs for someone to deem me "worthy" of a little help. The guys from the LHS here are EXCELLENT ambassadors to the hobby. I wrote in another post, that the shop allowed me to sit in front of the simulator while I tried out some 3ch planes. You can't do that anywhere. I admit, my situation is pretty good, with all that space at my disposal, and a hobby shop full of willing and most importantly CARING people. My wife went to the shop with NO knowledge whatsoever, looking for an R/C boat for me. They were able to set her up with a very nice package at a reasonable price. Having visited this store several times, they could have really taken her to the cleaners, but as with other times, service came before greed. Deb, I've purchased from you in the past and have nothing but good things to say, so internet shopping isn't bad either, as long as it's from a reputable place like yours...kudos! All in all, unless us watt-flyers get together (like the KISS Army did in the 70's) we're gonna continue to get shut out by the "elite" gas hogs. I'd love to get some sanctioned club going on this complex's property. It's a shame that legal-ese, politics, and greed have creeped their way into such a rewarding hobby.
Old 01-23-2006, 11:31 AM
Geoff_Gino
Geoff Ogden

Hi Helo-watt

Perhaps I should pitch-up at that club with my 1,4 Kilowatt Corsair and show them what a "real" airplane looks like.

Nice things said about Deb and I concur totally, nice place to do business - even over the "net"
Old 01-23-2006, 11:43 AM
debhicks
Debbie Hicks

Start your club! If you can get permission from the property owner and get interest from others start it. I would guess there are others in your area looking as well.

Quick Reply: Why join a club?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12662 seconds with 15 queries