Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

The Official DonsRC Wicked EDF Motor Discussion Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 02:09 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Default The Official DonsRC Wicked EDF Motor Discussion Thread

Thought it would be a good time to have a thread specifially dedicated to the DonsRC Wicked EDF motors and the planes you guys are using them in.

If you have a question feel free to ask.

If you have a Wicked EDF motor please please share your setup and what you are flying as we all want to know!

The Wicked EDF motor currently comes in three varieties

Wicked EDF Cool Wind, KV~4000, great for twins EDF like the Executive Jet
Wicekd EDF, KV~4800, great for Alfa EDF with 5 blade on 3S or 4S
Wicked EDF Extreme, KV~5400, great for Alfa EDF on 3S or XF fan on 4S

Info on www.donsrc.com

Don
Old 02-09-2008, 02:20 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

My applications to date so far:

Hobby People F-16, Wicked EDF Extreme, 5 blade Alfa, Pentium 40 ESC, 3S2500 Hobby City blue lipo, speeds 90-95mph (model died in a workbench accident )

Hobby Lobby executive Jet, Wicked EDF 4800KV with standoff adapter, stock rotors, lipo is two 3S 2200 TP Extremes. About 700-750 watts. LOTS of power.
Video link:
http://media.putfile.com/Executive-J...ipo-Stock-Fans
Many guys are using the Wicked EDF Cool wind as it comes with a 2.3mm shaft and drops right into the stock SF fan unit and fits the stock included SF fan collets as well, this setup gives about 500 watts for the pair.

Alfa A-4, Wicked EDF Extreme, 5 blade Alfa rotor, 3S2200 TP extreme lipo, Pentium 40 ESC, best speed 106 mph so far.
Video link:
http://media.putfile.com/Alfa-A-4-Ma...tor-on-3S-lipo

GWS F-15 EPO foam kit, trimmed 2" off the root of each wing, twin Wicked EDF 4800KV, twin Pentium 40 ESCs, lipo is two 3S2100 lipo in parallel. Stock GWS EDF 64 fans. 600-650 watts, approx 52oz static thrust, weight, 42 ouces ready to fly.
Video link:
http://media.putfile.com/GWS-F15-2

Current Build:
Great Planes Synapse, Wicked EDF Extreme with Hyperflow fan, 3S 2200 lipo, Pentium 30 ESC, static run is about 340 watts, trimmed rotor (reduced tip chord to 10mm width) More to come

Next Build:
Hobby People F-16 with stock XF fan on 4S lipo with Pentum 40 ESC. Guys are going 105+mph on this setup so I have to try it out!

Don
Old 02-09-2008, 04:48 AM
Tram
Purveyor of EPP goodness.

Don - any news on those motors you had coming for the A-10?

Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Old 02-09-2008, 04:54 AM
hyperdynelabs

I can say the wicked extreme motor on 4s with an xf fan is absolutely awesome! My HP F-16 looks like a rocket, 100+ mph is cake with Don's setup.
Old 02-09-2008, 05:00 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Originally Posted by Tram View Post
Don - any news on those motors you had coming for the A-10?
Jeff
www.CommonSenseRC.com
Yeah, they forgot to ship before the Chinese new year so I have to wait until they get back to ship them

Don
Old 02-09-2008, 03:12 PM
herk_1
Trash Hauler emeritus

Don, on your site, your instructions for installing the Wicked motor don't yet include the GWS 64. How did you do that on your F-15? Did you use that extension thingy? I have the GWS 64 hub and rotor in my Hawk currently, and it requires a 2mm shaft.
Old 02-09-2008, 03:18 PM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Originally Posted by herk_1 View Post
Don, on your site, your instructions for installing the Wicked motor don't yet include the GWS 64. How did you do that on your F-15? Did you use that extension thingy? I have the GWS 64 hub and rotor in my Hawk currently, and it requires a 2mm shaft.
I forgot to update the page:o I will take some photos and post it, but yes I used the extensions as the motor OD is too big to fit into the EDF 64 housing. The Wicked motors are 3mm shaft and the GWS-15 kit I bought included the 3mm D notched shaft adapters so they mounted right in nicely.

Don
Old 02-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Tusken

Thumbs up

Phase 3 EF-16: Wicked extreme, Don's 40 amp pentium on 3S 2100 with the stock fan.

Install onto the stock fan was cake. Ordering a couple of 4S soon.
Old 02-09-2008, 04:49 PM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

The newest generation of the GWS 64 fans come with 3mm adaptors instead of 2mm.

You might be able to buy some adaptors only from http://www.epyaya.com/ or one of the other GWS dealers.

I ended up buying complete new generation rotor sets. The new rotors are a bit stronger than the old ones and seem to run a hair truer.

Another tip is to reinforce the center hub area of the rotor - between the part that slides over the adaptor and the part the blades are molded too by filling it in with something light weight.

Some guys have used micro baloons and epoxy but you can get good results just by cutting a disk out of 6mm depron and gluing it in - then re-balance.

This stiffens up the hub area and cuts down on harmonic vibration and flexing at hi speeds.

You can just lightly press the rotor onto a piece of 6mm Depron to outline the disk. Cut that out, then press it in a little further to get an impression of the central hub and then drill that out and glue it in.

Ive only tried it on the bench but it seems to make a much smoother running and more solid sounding fan. In theory it should let you get a few more rpm at full throttle but I havent tested that. Its worth it just for the smoothness.

Larry
Old 02-09-2008, 04:59 PM
Larry3215

Don, I have forgotten the designation of this motor, but I have a smaller, lower Kv, park jet type version of Dons Wicked motors. Im running it in a profile SU37 Depron, mid motor, scratch build.

I told Don I wasnt after super sonic speeds, but I did have a specific amp draw range and prop size range in mind for the scratch build I was doing. He recomended this motor and it rturned out perfect!

The motor runs great and the plane flys awesome. The plane does insane tumbles, has a crazy roll rate and will pop the coolest wheelies while taxiing. I love it

Larry

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4037 (Medium).JPG
Views:	628
Size:	57.3 KB
ID:	55096   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4039 (Medium).JPG
Views:	739
Size:	60.8 KB
ID:	55097  
Old 02-09-2008, 05:12 PM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Larry,

I am still working on the larger version I have a similar motor but one that is based on the Wicked EDF motor housing and it is getting good results as well. Trying to figure out which one is best. I do have a smaller Park Jet type motor that is a 2200 kV that works quite well. That is what I power my RCPowers F-22 with. I get 16-17 oz thrust on a APC 6x4 prop at 12 amps and the model is only 11 ounces with a 3S900 lipo.

Wicked Jr Park Pusher motor (2200 KV)
F-22 powered with this motor:
video link: http://media.putfile.com/RCPowers-F22-FLOV22

I just got a new F-22 from Dave and will power it with the Wicked Jr (3000KV) and go for more speed on this one. Here is a video of the Wicked Jr on a 22" span wing with a 3S1320 lipo:
http://media.putfile.com/Sylair-22--Wing-Prototype

Don
Old 02-09-2008, 06:16 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Subscribed.
Old 02-09-2008, 08:52 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

I am really regretting not swapping out the stock motor and ESC in my Phase3 F-16 before gluing it together. After I get in a few flights, I'm thinking that a Wicked Extreme will be a nice upgrade (I'd get a regular Wicked with the Alfa 5-blade for even more power on 4S, but I don't think I want to bother with making the Alfa fan fit).
Old 02-10-2008, 06:25 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Originally Posted by PerlAddict View Post
I am really regretting not swapping out the stock motor and ESC in my Phase3 F-16 before gluing it together. After I get in a few flights, I'm thinking that a Wicked Extreme will be a nice upgrade (I'd get a regular Wicked with the Alfa 5-blade for even more power on 4S, but I don't think I want to bother with making the Alfa fan fit).
Well I will tell you that the Alfa retro fit was annoying when I did mine. And basically the Wicked with 4S and alfa 5 blade verse XF fan 4S Wicked Extreme are the same watts and you get the same top speed. So thats is why I am using the stock fan and going that way and saving the $$$.

Why not try to use a sharp razor and cut the section off over the EDF unit? I actually cut my lower piece into three sections, the front and back were glued real good, and the middle I tack glued so I could take it take it off and on if needed by cutting the glue joints.

Don
Old 02-10-2008, 06:30 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
I received my 4s LiPo in yesterday's mail... I'll be testing this weekend.
I meant to tell you that once you run those rotors on 4S, if you go back to 3S you will get different results as the rpm is so high on 4S the 3 and 5 blade rotors stretch and the tips scrub off on the EDF housing. When running on 4S it is no issue as the gap is closed when at full throttlr, but when you go back to 3S the tips will not stretch so the gap from rotor tip to housing ID will be larger and amps, watts, and thrust will drop.

Don
Old 02-10-2008, 07:08 AM
Larry3215

Thanks for the heads up Don! That could have come as an unpleasant supprise

Good to know the stock fan has the same max potential too.

Im on the edge of getting one of those things too. F16's are my second fav jet

Thanks!

Larry
Old 02-10-2008, 07:50 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Larry,

I bought my F-16 from shop.eflypower.com you can get the airframe pretty cheap.

Don
Old 02-10-2008, 04:38 PM
aethertek

So does anyone have thrust figs. for XF fan on Wicked motors?

Kevin~
Old 02-10-2008, 05:13 PM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Originally Posted by aethertek View Post
So does anyone have thrust figs. for XF fan on Wicked motors?
Kevin~
Thrust values vary a bit depending on installation. 27 oz thrust outside a plane drops to 25 when installed due to inlet and outlet and ducting length. The XF fans have a nice rounded inlet which means good static thrust figures but on the Alfa fan it is designed to be in a duct and has a sharp lip so static thrust tests suffer and dont mean much other than to compare one motor to another in a relative manner. If I recall the Alfa 5 blade EDF as a stand alone would have say 20 oz thrust but when mounted in the plane went up to 23 ounces as the inlet had enough area when mounted in the plane. I believe I tested about 28-30oz thrust on the XF fan on 4S with the Wicked Extreme with a Long Max 4S 2250 lipo.

Don
Old 02-10-2008, 05:41 PM
aethertek

Thanks Don... I just moved so as soon as my new checks come in I'll be ordering one of your motors. When do expect 40amp controllers in?

TIA
Kevin~
ps. I do a little testing myself. My smaller stand....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TestStand.jpg
Views:	587
Size:	255.8 KB
ID:	55232  
Old 02-10-2008, 06:02 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
I meant to tell you that once you run those rotors on 4S, if you go back to 3S you will get different results as the rpm is so high on 4S the 3 and 5 blade rotors stretch and the tips scrub off on the EDF housing. When running on 4S it is no issue as the gap is closed when at full throttlr, but when you go back to 3S the tips will not stretch so the gap from rotor tip to housing ID will be larger and amps, watts, and thrust will drop.

Don
Hey Don -- thank you for letting me know. Luckily, we ordered extra 5-blade and 3-blade rotors, so I think we're okay. :o

When the rotor rubs on the EDF housing, some plastic will be transferred to the EDF housing -- does that have any affect on the power system?
Old 02-11-2008, 12:45 AM
Larry3215

Originally Posted by The Don View Post
Larry,

I bought my F-16 from shop.eflypower.com you can get the airframe pretty cheap.

Don
Thanks Don. Thats what I was looking for. Didnt want the arf - dont need or want thier gear

Larry
Old 02-11-2008, 06:23 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Originally Posted by aethertek View Post
Thanks Don... I just moved so as soon as my new checks come in I'll be ordering one of your motors. When do expect 40amp controllers in?
They are in my next shipment which will be here in about 7-10 days. The Chinese New Year messed me all up as I forgot to order befreo their holiday.

Don
Old 02-11-2008, 06:25 AM
The Don
Balsa Butcher

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Thanks Don. Thats what I was looking for. Didnt want the arf - dont need or want thier gear
Larry
Larry,

Check that website periodically as the guy sometimes tosses in free shipping and you never know when or how long it will last.

Don
Old 02-11-2008, 07:58 AM
Larry3215

Now that would definately tip the scales!

Thanks!

Larry

Quick Reply: The Official DonsRC Wicked EDF Motor Discussion Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.16046 seconds with 14 queries