Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Grocery Glider to F4U Corsair Conversion

Old 03-25-2008, 08:54 PM
phupper
Flyin' Phup

Default Grocery Glider to F4U Corsair Conversion

I just finished this build. It took about 3 weeks (leisurely). No maiden flight yet. (It’ll be a darn shame if it doesn’t fly!) I’ll post the flight results later.

Here’s a link to some build pics:
http://home.roadrunner.com/~phup/f4u_corsair.htm
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Title Pic.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	46.1 KB
ID:	60748  

Last edited by phupper; 12-20-2008 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:11 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Look'in Real Good!!Best chucker-con I've ever seen!I use glillowGliders for most my Chuckers-Con's, I used the "left-over" Gillows noses for engine nacelles on my latest twin, , Good work my Bub, steve

Name:	petty an red 535.jpg
Views:	204
Size:	223.8 KB
ID:	60749   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 508.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	60750  
Old 03-25-2008, 09:16 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

Originally Posted by phupper View Post
I just finished this build. It took about 3 weeks (leisurely). No maiden flight yet. (Itíll be a darn shame if it doesnít fly!) Iíll post the flight results later.

Hereís a link to some build pics:
http://home.san.rr.com/phup/f4u_corsair.htm
I never would have seen that plane in one of those tossers! Great job and execution phupper.

Good luck on the maiden!!
Old 03-26-2008, 12:21 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I just finished this build. It took about 3 weeks (leisurely). No maiden flight yet. (Itíll be a darn shame if it doesnít fly!) Iíll post the flight results later.

Hereís a link to some build pics:
http://home.san.rr.com/phup/f4u_corsair.htm

Wow that looks NICE, Good job, Good luck to you on the maiden, Chellie
Old 03-26-2008, 06:42 AM
fr4nk1yn
^_^

THAT is an awesome conversion! Good Luck on the maiden.
Old 03-26-2008, 08:52 AM
buzkil
For love of flight

Hey phil, nice looking planes! I've been through your sight. I like it. Your a pretty ingeneous and inventive guy! Keep up the good work. You just may be the next "Ron popeal"! LOL .. Just kidding. I sure would like to hear the story behind the breast rack though!!
Old 03-27-2008, 06:42 PM
phupper
Flyin' Phup

Thanks guys, you are too kind.

I maidened it today, or tried to. It did the same thing twice. On hand launch, it dips a little, comes back up, and rolls over (only broke the wing mount). I think it wasn't going fast enough for the ailerons to work, and it almost seems like it doesn't have enough power. My other plane is overpowered, and launches easily.

Do you think the engine cowling could be blocking too much of the thrust?

I have a larger motor (3530-10) on it's way here from Heads-Up RC. The next launch will be with that motor and a larger prop. I will post the results.

Phil
Old 03-27-2008, 07:21 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Thanks guys, you are too kind.

I maidened it today, or tried to. It did the same thing twice. On hand launch, it dips a little, comes back up, and rolls over (only broke the wing mount). I think it wasn't going fast enough for the ailerons to work, and it almost seems like it doesn't have enough power. My other plane is overpowered, and launches easily.

Do you think the engine cowling could be blocking too much of the thrust?

I have a larger motor (3530-10) on it's way here from Heads-Up RC. The next launch will be with that motor and a larger prop. I will post the results.

Phil
That props fine for that cowl'in, I've run 8/6's on my Se5A an it's got cowl like a barn door! I fly a 9/6 on her now but they say a 10,, HaHaa, are you sure shes not just tail heavy?? thats the way mine acts on maid'ins when there more than a tad tail heavy! your bub, steve

Name:	planes 584.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	110.6 KB
ID:	60923   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 454.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	60924   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 536.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	60925  
Old 03-28-2008, 02:38 AM
phupper
Flyin' Phup

Well I hollowed out some glue and foam from the rear of the fuse, and added 1.5 oz. to the noze.

The wing is 7 1/2" from LE to TE.

The CG is 2 1/2" from the LE.

Seems about right. Will try again tomorrow.

Thanks!
Old 03-28-2008, 02:44 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Well I hollowed out some glue and foam from the rear of the fuse, and added 1.5 oz. to the noze.

The wing is 7 1/2" from LE to TE.

The CG is 2 1/2" from the LE.

Seems about right. Will try again tomorrow.

Thanks!
Keep'in my fingers crossed for you my bub, steve
Old 03-28-2008, 05:04 AM
buzkil
For love of flight

Have you checked your lateral balance? One wing may be heavier than the other coupled with a heavy tail might roll you over.
How does it do on ROG?
Old 03-28-2008, 06:48 AM
phupper
Flyin' Phup

"Have you checked your lateral balance? One wing may be heavier than the other coupled with a heavy tail might roll you over.
How does it do on ROG?"

I did check the wing balance, it's right on.

I've never done a ROG takeoff, this is my first plane with a rudder.
I've heard there are some torque issues that make a ROG takeoff a little tricky. Thought I'd wait and try that at a later date.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:05 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

The dihedral/polyhedral/antihedral may need a little revision, ie. make it a bit more dramatic, I'd like to see a head on photo of it to determin more, also I'd like to see some photo's showing how far your ailerons are deflecting, ie. full up and down positions, to see if they have enough authority, also would like to know if it always pulls to one side over the other consistantly. It does sound like it's a power issue if those elements are already set up correctly, warbirds are funny that way. I've reached the point with them where if it's too slow, I can still counter which direction it's tip stalling, but that's because I'm used to flying prototypes where I don't honestly know what I'll be facing until it's airborn so have had to develop quick reaction times due to that.
Old 03-28-2008, 07:42 AM
phupper
Flyin' Phup

Here ya go.

It usually pulls to the left I think. I'll check the down/right motor thrust again.

The red line on the wing shows the current CG.

Thanks!

Name:	P3270034.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	61008   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3270036.jpg
Views:	270
Size:	48.5 KB
ID:	61009   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3270037.jpg
Views:	171
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	61010   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3270038.jpg
Views:	303
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	61011   Click image for larger version

Name:	P3270039.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	61012  

Old 03-28-2008, 08:38 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Ok, you can trim the thing to counter the left pull if you want. I'd prefer more surface area and more dramatic throws on the airlerons so they are more effective during slow flight. Perhaps tack on some extra foam stock/cardboard to the bottom of them to increase in that area to see if that helps. The dihedral looks fine, in fact, closer to free flight, so that's not an issue. You can tell if it's the motor thrust angle issue by test gliding it in tall grass, it it doesn't pull/tip, then you know it's that element. The only other thing I'd be looking at is the incidence ,with the wing and the h stab, it looks like you have it dialed in at zero, it's very close tolerance wise going that route, your plane will do funny things if it's off.

I remember when I first got my mustang, not knowing any better, I kept trying to get it flying at only 1/2 power upon launch, it did the same things you are explaining here.

Very nice plane btw, you could not remotely tell where it started out from.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:57 AM
phupper
Flyin' Phup

"The dihedral looks fine, in fact, closer to free flight"

By "free flight" do you mean with no ailerons?

"The only other thing I'd be looking at is the incidence ,with the wing and the h stab, it looks like you have it dialed in at zero, it's very close tolerance wise going that route, your plane will do funny things if it's off."

I didn't notice until the model was finished but the LE of the H Stab seems a little high. Not sure what affect that will have on flight dynamics.

Thanks!

Phil
Old 03-28-2008, 09:55 AM
Saucerguy2
Super Contributor

Well, freeflight you'll be typically having more dihedral then RC, it's not a bad thing, just a bit more stable. Don't sweat the h stab, it looks fine to me, and having it larger rather then smaller is always a good way to go, this is the reason most planes need revisions when doing it to scale, ie. a scale design will not shrink down to small RC without some revisions, especially in the tail feathers.
Old 04-02-2008, 09:36 AM
phupper
Flyin' Phup

The new motor is here. Still waiting for the 32A ESC, any day now.

With 42oz. of thrust, my "lack of power" theory won't be an issue.
I'll post results.

Name:	3530-10.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	112.2 KB
ID:	61475  
Old 04-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

The new motor is here. Still waiting for the 32A ESC, any day now.

With 42oz. of thrust, my "lack of power" theory won't be an issue.
I'll post results.
phupperBub::You could fly a lawn chair with that thing!!! good luck, Keep'in my finger crossed but prob'ly don't need to!!bub, steve
Old 04-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

That's gotta be one of the best looking conversions I've seen.
Old 04-02-2008, 07:33 PM
Voyager2lcats
Friend Across the Water

Okay, I will add my johnny-come-lately remarks: that is one awesome conversion. I hope you get the flight issues ironed out. Your corsair is too beautiful to sit on your coffee table as a conversation piece. Hang in there and let 'er rip.

Bob
Old 04-04-2008, 07:55 AM
mswan

yeah, I'll chime in too.... that's a real beaut. Can you turn lead into gold as well? Holy cow. I think I've become a chucker-head because I've got about three sitting around my apt. (1 complete, 2 in the works.), but I had never imagined that you could craft something so beautiful out of something so humble. Very cool. Hope that new motor resolves the issue. What do you think of it so far (motor that is)? I've bought about 3 towerpro motors from Heads Up Rc and have been pretty happy with them. Cheap fun.
Old 04-04-2008, 07:01 PM
phupper
Flyin' Phup

It flies! Takeoff was easy this time with the new motor. The plane is very squirrely, I probably need to tone down the throws a bit.

Not an easy plane to fly, it's just as happy flying on it's side as it is flying upright. It almost seems top-heavy, but I guess that's to be expected with this wing design. The battery is as low as it can go in the fuse.

Also, it doesn't seem very fast, even with that larger motor at WOT, hmm.

It was so hard to control I decided to bring it in early, and was able to land it with just a bounce and a cartwheel, and no damage to speak of.

There's a very small amount of slop in the aileron cable, could that make it hard to fly upright?

Thanks!
Old 04-04-2008, 07:11 PM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

It flies! Takeoff was easy this time with the new motor. The plane is very squirrely, I probably need to tone down the throws a bit.

Not an easy plane to fly, it's just as happy flying on it's side as it is flying upright. It almost seems top-heavy, but I guess that's to be expected with this wing design. The battery is as low as it can go in the fuse.

Also, it doesn't seem very fast, even with that larger motor at WOT, hmm.

It was so hard to control I decided to bring it in early, and was able to land it with just a bounce and a cartwheel, and no damage to speak of.

There's a very small amount of slop in the aileron cable, could that make it hard to fly upright?

Thanks!
So glad you got her up,, ""slop in the aileron cable, could that make it hard to fly upright?""

Yes it can make you think the winds come'in from everywhere when there sloppy!! I liked your mus'donkey chunker too!! you still got it?? your bub, steve

Name:	petty an red 151.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	218.7 KB
ID:	61670  
Old 04-04-2008, 07:52 PM
phupper
Flyin' Phup

Thanks, I'll get the right cable today. I think I'm using a guitar string now.

By "mus'donkey" do you mean the P-51? Yep still got that one. I've even added a canopy, spinner, landing gear, rudder control, and upgraded the paint job.

There's a few new pics of it here:
http://home.san.rr.com/phup/grocery_store_mustang.htm

Thanks!

Quick Reply: Grocery Glider to F4U Corsair Conversion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14211 seconds with 24 queries