Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

SLOW STICK HIGHLY MODIFIED for AP

Old 07-02-2008, 04:12 PM
MWEAVER

Default SLOW STICK HIGHLY MODIFIED for AP

I am new to this forum and to ERC in general. I have been flying a stock SS with an E-flite 370 outrunner with wings braced with carbon fiber tubes.

I decided to do a build thread on my first aileron airplane. Before I start I would like to say THANKS to two people in particular Bill Nulik a long time friend who I enjoy sharing this hobby with and Craig Thompson! Bill and Craig have both spent a lot of time helping me along the way. Craig told me that you are always farther along than someone just getting started in the hobby and you can always help them out with the knowledge you have gained. After giving it some thought I decided maybe if I post a few words along with a few pictures I might provide something of value for someone that might be a couple of steps behind me.

So let’s get started. I choose the MILLENNIUM RC Slow Stick X™ ARF for this build. This kit is available pre-covered in your choice of transparent red or transparent yellow or it can also be ordered uncovered. I choose the uncovered version of the kit. In addition the wing comes in several other configurations if you care to build the wing from the ground up. I would recommend checking out the MILLENNIUM RC WEBSITE for a look at all of the possible configuations. The kit is doubled boxed when shipped and the inner box that houses all the goodies is packed very well. I have actually purchased two of these kits and both arrived in the manner described above. The first wing did have a rib that was slightly cracked but was easily super glued back in place. Below are a few pictures of the kit.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	millennium_kit01.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	546.3 KB
ID:	71279   Click image for larger version

Name:	millennium_kit02.jpg
Views:	272
Size:	586.1 KB
ID:	71280   Click image for larger version

Name:	millennium_stabilizer01.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	531.8 KB
ID:	71281   Click image for larger version

Name:	millennium_rudder01.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	518.9 KB
ID:	71282   Click image for larger version

Name:	millennium_gear01.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	615.0 KB
ID:	71283  

Last edited by MWEAVER; 07-02-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:27 PM
MWEAVER

For the powerplant on this project I decided to use the JustGoFly 450TH motor coupled with the JustGoFly 3:89:1 blue anodized gear box. The motor along with the gearbox have proven to provide lots of pulling power especially for AP airplanes.

I choose the Castle Creations Phoenix-45 ESC mainly for the ability to program the unit from your computer. It sure takes the quesswork out of setting up the user selected parameters for the ESC.

Name:	justgofly_motor01.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	473.0 KB
ID:	71284   Click image for larger version

Name:	justgofly_gearbox01.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	437.4 KB
ID:	71285   Click image for larger version

Name:	phoenix45_esc01.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	521.6 KB
ID:	71286   Click image for larger version

Name:	phoenix45_esc02.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	486.5 KB
ID:	71287  

Last edited by MWEAVER; 07-02-2008 at 05:00 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:32 PM
MWEAVER

The fuselage used in this build is the stock SS fiberglass square tubing. The Millennium RC SSX kit was delivered with the aluminum square tubing however I prefer the fiberglass over the aluminum.

I used a technique that Craig uses on his AP planes for build up of the fuselage. By inserting a piece of hardwood available from Lowe’s or Home Depot you strengthen the stock tubing whether or not you are utilizing the fiberglass or the aluminum tubing. In addition it provides a means to screw the various items in place such as battery trays, motor mounts, servo trays, etc.

The square hardwood will need to be sanded down to fit the inside dimension of the tubing. I set up a little jig on my sander to help keep the finished product uniform. I recommend if using this method that you don't try and remove all of the material at once. The sanding drum will tend to grab the material and pull it out of your hand. I feed the material in the direction of rotation and then pulled the stick back towards me which removed the majority of the material. This method worked very well. I would also recommend doing several pieces at the same time if you are planning on building additional airplanes in the future. It will save some setup time for the fence on your sander.

After the hardwood squares were sanded to the final dimension I rounded the corners off of the hardwood. This insured a better fit inside the fuselage tube. Next the hardwood was cut to length. I first inserted the hardwood in the aft fuselage flush with back end. I let the hardwood extend past the forward end of the aft fuselage by several inches. This allows for overlap into the forward fuselage. Next I glued the hardwood in place with SUMO GLUE. This glue is similar to GORILLA GLUE however it does not expand or foam as much. After the glue dried I inserted the forward fuselage and drilled the holes for the forward and aft sections in the stock fuselage coupling. The next step was to glue in another piece of hardwood into the forward fuselage section that butted up against the piece previously glued into the aft fuselage section. Remember the hardwood in the aft fuselage section extends into the forward fuselage section.

Name:	fuselage_brace01.jpg
Size:	465.7 KB
ID:	71288   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuselage_brace02.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	492.7 KB
ID:	71289   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuselage_brace03.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	448.8 KB
ID:	71290   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuselage_brace04.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	471.7 KB
ID:	71291   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuselage_brace05.jpg
Size:	492.5 KB
ID:	71292  

Click image for larger version

Name:	fuselage_brace_sumo_glue06.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	468.7 KB
ID:	71293   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuselage_forward_assembled01.jpg
Size:	425.8 KB
ID:	71294   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuselage_assembled01.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	529.6 KB
ID:	71295  

Last edited by MWEAVER; 07-02-2008 at 04:59 PM.
Old 07-02-2008, 04:59 PM
MWEAVER

The next order of business was to assemble the Millennium RC X-Gear. I used the X-Gear on my stock Slow Stick and I really liked the design so I decided to use the gear on this project as well. The gear is very durable and comes in several colors. The instructions are good but could be a little better. The following is a link on build up of the X-Gear by the manufacture. Click Here to visit the X-Gear Build Thread

Name:	millennium_gear_assembled01.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	496.7 KB
ID:	71296   Click image for larger version

Name:	millennium_gear_assembled02.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	391.6 KB
ID:	71297   Click image for larger version

Name:	millennium_gear_assembled03.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	379.0 KB
ID:	71298   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuselage_brace04.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	471.7 KB
ID:	71299   Click image for larger version

Name:	millennium_gear_assembled05.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	377.2 KB
ID:	71300  

Name:	millennium_gear_assembled06.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	459.2 KB
ID:	71301  
Old 07-02-2008, 05:11 PM
MWEAVER

On my original Slow Stick I used a paint stick double backed tape to the stock plastic battery holder. I then used Velcro between the paint stick and the battery along with a piece of self sticking Velcro placed around the battery and looped around the fuselage. This worked very well but I also mounted my ESC to the Velcro loop that extended below the fuselage. This meant that anytime I removed to battery I would have to remove the ESC.

I decided to build the battery tray for this aircraft out of fiberglass sheet. I also added spacers made out of the same fiberglass between the battery tray and the fuselage. This would allow room for a piece of Velcro to be placed between the fuselage and battery tray on the forward and aft end to hold the battery firmly in place. The fiberglass battery tray was screwed to the fuselage with 3 counter sunk wood screws.

To hold the JustGoFly gearbox in place I used a small piece of fiberglass cut the same width as the fuselage and cut to a length that would fit inside the top portion of the JustGoFly gearbox. The fiberglass is held in place by a single countersunk wood screw. Once again I have to give credit to Craig for sharing this method of mounting the battery tray and the gearbox. I have not decide 100% yet, but I will probably build a small fiberglass piece and mount it to the bottom of the fuselage in the same manner to hold the Castle Creations Phoenix-45 ESC.

Name:	battery_tray_parts01.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	348.2 KB
ID:	71303   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_tray_parts03.jpg
Size:	335.0 KB
ID:	71304   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_tray_side01.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	420.2 KB
ID:	71305   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_tray_side02.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	393.5 KB
ID:	71306   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_tray_top01.jpg
Views:	206
Size:	404.8 KB
ID:	71307  

Name:	battery_tray_front01.jpg
Size:	354.1 KB
ID:	71308   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_tray_side_installed01.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	363.7 KB
ID:	71309   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_tray_top_installed01.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	470.6 KB
ID:	71310   Click image for larger version

Name:	battery_tray_top_installed03.jpg
Size:	417.6 KB
ID:	71311   Click image for larger version

Name:	justgofly_gearbox_installed01.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	458.1 KB
ID:	71312  

Name:	justgofly_gearbox_installed02.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	402.2 KB
ID:	71313   Click image for larger version

Name:	justgofly_gearbox_installed03.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	437.9 KB
ID:	71314  
Old 07-02-2008, 05:22 PM
aviatordave
Super Contributor

Very nice work! I appreciate the good macro shots of the components.

You wouldnt happen to know the trust data with your motor/GB/prop combo by chance?
Old 07-02-2008, 05:27 PM
MWEAVER

Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post

You wouldnt happen to know the trust data with your motor/GB/prop combo by chance?
I will have the data posted soon.
Old 07-02-2008, 05:39 PM
MWEAVER

I made a change from the original build plans in that I went from a stock build to turning this into an AP platform. I was orignally going to build the fuselage at the stock length, but I then decided to use a modified fuselage that is 36 inches vs. the stock 31.5 inches for better stability. I will still use the Millennium RC SSX wing and tail feathers on the extended length fuselage. Here are pictures of the stock vs. modified fuselage.

Name:	modified_fuselage_measurement01.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	66.4 KB
ID:	71315   Click image for larger version

Name:	modified_fuselage_overall01.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	71316   Click image for larger version

Name:	modified_fuselage_compared01.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	71317   Click image for larger version

Name:	modified_fuselage_compared02.jpg
Size:	64.6 KB
ID:	71318  
Old 07-02-2008, 06:07 PM
MWEAVER

The next order of business was to purchase a camera and build a mount for it. I have been looking on eBay for the Pentax Optio S5Z but because it is an older camera it has been difficult to find one. I did miss out on one about a month ago because I was out of town and forgot to bid on it. Anyway I found another for the same price which I thought was a steal at $35.00. Here are a couple of images.

Name:	pentax_optio_s5z01.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	484.5 KB
ID:	71319   Click image for larger version

Name:	pentax_optio_s5z02.jpg
Size:	457.7 KB
ID:	71320  
Old 07-02-2008, 06:14 PM
MWEAVER

The camera mount was fabricated from paint sticks from Home Depot and 3/32 birch ply. I have to give credit to TaSaJaRa for the design of the mount. The mount is almost complete the pieces just need to be glued together.

The build up of the mount was pretty straight forward. One tip from TaSaJaRa was to use bamboo skewers below the bottom shelf that supports the weight of the camera. Two holes were drilled in the sides of the lower section of the mount, the skewer's were then inserted and glued in place. I had to fabricate a small piece of wood to glue in between the two skewers so the nylon bolt that holds the camera on would sit flush. Otherwise the bolt would basically wedge between the two skewers and would not tighten down very well.

The tee nuts are 6-32 and the nylon knurled head thumb screws are 6-32 x 1/2 both were purchased from Home Depot. It is important to drill small holes in the sides of the mount where the tee nut points press in. If you neglect to do this the possibility of splitting the paint stick is very high. The tee nuts can then be glued in place. Oncethe tee nuts were glued in place they needed to be filed down to allow for a flush fit on the outboard side of the inner paint stick. The camera will be held in place on the bottom of the mount with a 1/4 x 20 x 1/2 nylon bolt.

Three pieces of paint sticks 4 1/2 inches long were used to fabricate a part that would fit around the fuselage. Another tip from TaSaJaRa was to cut the bottom and top pieces too size leaving the width of the two pieces shorter than the width of the fiberglass fuselage. In other words the pieces need to be cut so they do not over hang and are slightly less than flush with the fuselage. This will allow the Velcro to wrap tight around the camera mount and fuselage. TaSaJaRa recommended wrapping Reynolds plastic wrap around the fuselage and clamping the three pieces to the fuselage with clamps when gluing together. The Reynolds wrap protects the fuselage from the glue. Using clamps and building this section on the fuselage will ensure a tight fit around the fuselage which should reduce camera shake.

Name:	camera_mount_bottom01.jpg
Views:	199
Size:	43.9 KB
ID:	71321   Click image for larger version

Name:	camera_mount_parts01.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	71322   Click image for larger version

Name:	camera_mount_side_blind_fastner01.jpg
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	71323   Click image for larger version

Name:	camera_mount_top01.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	71324   Click image for larger version

Name:	camera_mount_top02.jpg
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	71325  

Old 07-02-2008, 06:21 PM
MWEAVER

Default SLOW STICK HIGHLY MODIFED for AP

Since I have decided to turn this into an AP platform, I decided to install a steerable tail wheel. I choose the Sullivan Products Tail Wheel bracket #S859 for this application. The bracket is actually a little big but I think it will work fine. The bracket is made for a 2 to 6 lbs. plane and has a 1/16" spring axle. The control horn was fabricated from a piece of K&S Engineering 3/16 x .014 brass tube and a piece of music wire soldered into the collar of the tail wheel bracket. The end of the tube was crimped in a vise, rounded at the end and then a hole drilled to accept the clevis. The clevis was packaged with the Sullivan #503 GOLD-N-ROD Control Rod Set. A Du-bro #120 Over Ride Servo Saver was used to protect the servo from any impact the tail wheel might be subjected to. Rounding out the installation was an adjustable servo arm packaged with the Hitech 56315 Standard Servo Horn set.

Name:	tail_wheel_control_horn01.jpg
Size:	34.3 KB
ID:	71326   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail_wheel_control_horn02.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	34.4 KB
ID:	71327   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail_wheel_control_horn_installed02.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	33.4 KB
ID:	71328   Click image for larger version

Name:	tail_wheel_control_horn_installed01.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	71329   Click image for larger version

Name:	rudder_tail_wheel_servo_connection_top01.jpg
Size:	50.6 KB
ID:	71330  

Name:	rudder_tail_wheel_servo_connection_top02.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	71331   Click image for larger version

Name:	rudder_tail_wheel_servo_connection_top03.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	71332   Click image for larger version

Name:	rudder_tail_wheel_servo_connection_bottom01.jpg
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	71333  
Old 07-02-2008, 09:22 PM
MWEAVER

Below are detailed images of the JustGoFly 3.89:1 Gearbox with the spur gear, the APC 12 x 6 E prop and a 4mm prop adapter installed. I ordered a Bishop Power Products Perfect Prop Adapter however there was an issue with my order and I received a standard 4mm adapter. I have emailed Bishop Power Products to see if they will correct the issue. I am still waiting for them to get back with me. Bishop Power Products really has great products and good pricing; they just need to pay a little more attention in the order fulfillment and shipping areas. To round out the installation is JustGoFly 450TH Motor. ALL I CAN SAY IS HOLD ON! The torque and power of the 450TH is unbelievable! You better have a good grip on your airframe when you push the throttle to the firewall! I hope to have some numbers posted for the setup using the Watts Up watt meter. Keep in mind I am still new to the hobby so I am still learning so please bare with me on the Watts Up data once I get it posted! I hope you enjoy the photos.

Name:	just_go_fly_setup01.jpg
Size:	52.3 KB
ID:	71344   Click image for larger version

Name:	just_go_fly_setup02.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	71345   Click image for larger version

Name:	just_go_fly_setup03.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	56.9 KB
ID:	71346   Click image for larger version

Name:	just_go_fly_setup04.jpg
Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	71347   Click image for larger version

Name:	just_go_fly_setup05.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	49.0 KB
ID:	71348  

Old 07-02-2008, 09:29 PM
MWEAVER

Okay here are a few more pictures of the Castle Creations Phoenix 45 mounted to the fiberglass piece I fabricated. The fiberglass has two counter sunk screws holding it onto the fuselage. The esc is held in place by Velcro.

Name:	castle_creations_phoenix45_01.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	71349   Click image for larger version

Name:	castle_creations_phoenix45_02.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	71350   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuselage_completed01.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	71351  
Old 07-02-2008, 09:32 PM
MWEAVER

Ok here is the final configuration and the readings from the Watts Up Meter.

JustGoFly 450TH coupled with the 3.89:1 Gearbox
Hecell 11.1 V 4000 mAh 25C Lipo
Castle Creations Phoenix 45 esc
APC 12x6E Prop

At full throttle the 450TH provided over 300 watts of peak power and 269 watts of continous power at less than 24 amps.
Old 07-02-2008, 09:49 PM
MWEAVER

Here are images of the completed project.

Name:	completed_ss_aas_decal01.jpg
Views:	300
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	71353   Click image for larger version

Name:	completed_ss_jgf_decal01.jpg
Views:	332
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	71354   Click image for larger version

Name:	completed_ss_aas_decal02.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	156.4 KB
ID:	71355   Click image for larger version

Name:	completed_ss_aas_decal03.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	71356   Click image for larger version

Name:	completed_ss_aas_decal04.jpg
Views:	260
Size:	87.1 KB
ID:	71357  

Name:	completed_ss_jgf_decal02.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	71358   Click image for larger version

Name:	completed_ss_jgf_decal03.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	71359  
Old 07-02-2008, 11:56 PM
TaSaJaRa
AP Flyers See More

Originally Posted by aviatordave View Post

There is a chart on the JustGoFly web site.

Only thing is it don't have 3.89:1 geared info.
But it does have a listing of 3lbs thrust geared 3:1 with a 11x7HD prop
I have the same setup as Mark and it don't have a lack of power at all.
I think the last time I checked my setup was around 24amps @ around 300 watts
that falls in line with what Mark messured.
Old 07-03-2008, 12:04 AM
TaSaJaRa
AP Flyers See More

BTW, Very nice pics Mark.... Great looking plane...
I wishl my build pics looked as clean as yours..
Old 07-03-2008, 12:08 AM
MWEAVER

Originally Posted by TaSaJaRa View Post
BTW, Very nice pics Mark.... Great looking plane...
I wishl my build pics looked as clean as yours..
Hey as long as it is funtional thats all that counts. From all of the videos I have seen of your AP planes I know you have the functional part down! Good lighting makes all the difference in the world when taking pictures. I just hope I have as good of luck when I finally get the camera under this beast!
Old 11-16-2008, 04:33 AM
MWEAVER

Default Millennium SSX Inflight Video

It has been awhile since I posted to this thread, and I finally had time to edit some video. I caputed the video this summer with my Millennium SSX. It is not the smoothest flying, but there is always room for improvement. Hope you enjoy!

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/2245910[/media]
Old 11-16-2008, 03:39 PM
TaSaJaRa
AP Flyers See More

Looks like you are getting the hang of it. Nice video...
Some times I wish I had more areas that had asphalt to take off from. The grass sometimes gets cut by my prop the slings up on the camera lens.. Little tuff to clean when it is so small.
Old 11-17-2008, 12:57 AM
Huck

Default Nice video

Nice video, MWEAVER. I like your SSX also - very nice plane. Flies like it has plenty of power too, especially with the camera hanging off the bottom. Nice scenery also. Thanks for posting it.

Huck
Old 11-17-2008, 01:47 AM
HoaRC

Wow, great build log! I have a question for you. How are you making your camera take a picture? I was thinking of wiring a power switch into the camera's ciruit like this - [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5gy4lCdNvc[/media] will it work?
Old 11-17-2008, 03:50 AM
MWEAVER

Originally Posted by Huck View Post
Nice video, MWEAVER. I like your SSX also - very nice plane. Flies like it has plenty of power too, especially with the camera hanging off the bottom. Nice scenery also. Thanks for posting it.

Huck
Huck,

The 450TH from JustGoFly.com along with the 3:89 gearbox really does have plenty of power. If you are looking for a motor with plenty of power I highly recommend you check out the motors JustGoFly has to offer. I also fly the 550XT on a Stock Slow stick which is also fully capable of hauling a camera around. You will need to add sometype of reinforcement to the wing leading edge, trailing edge and down the center of the wing. I appreciate you taking time to checkout my thread.
Old 11-17-2008, 03:56 AM
MWEAVER

Originally Posted by HoaRC View Post
Wow, great build log! I have a question for you. How are you making your camera take a picture? I was thinking of wiring a power switch into the camera's ciruit like this - [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5gy4lCdNvc[/media] will it work?

HoaRC,
Thanks for the kind words. I use the HEXPERT PRISM SWITCH. It will only work with certain models of camera's but I will say it works very well. I have not tried it yet but the switch will also allow for you to zoom in while in-flight. This AP stuff is really fun and can be very addicting. The problem for me is that taking the video is easy it is the editing that takes so long. The video you posted is very interesting. Neat concept!
Old 11-18-2008, 05:58 PM
mark_

Nice looking ship! Just an idea...at Home Deopt or Lowes, you can buy 3/8 aluminium channel. With a bit of sanding it makes a great fuse...all the parts slide on perfectly when sanded.

Mark

Quick Reply: SLOW STICK HIGHLY MODIFIED for AP

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.18808 seconds with 82 queries