Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

A Scratch Builder (Trying to do the "Nasty")

Old 10-23-2008, 02:03 PM
  #76  
pburt1975
Hotel California
 
pburt1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,456
Default

Hey Gnasher, Im sure you'll enjoy this plane immensely, I have not made many profile planes but every one has been very easy to get in the air and fly. And I think you'll find that the "quick and dirty" build approach lends itself pretty well building with foam.
pburt1975 is offline  
Old 10-23-2008, 02:25 PM
  #77  
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!
 
Gnascher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Auburndale, MA
Posts: 1,641
Default

Thanks pburt. I was actually surprised it took me this long.

My prior planes have all been 'sport', warbird, or civilian aviation style planes ... full fuse, etc... This will be my first plane with so much wing area and huge control surfaces (my first 3D plane). It should be an interesting experience to fly this.
Gnascher is offline  
Old 10-23-2008, 02:40 PM
  #78  
pburt1975
Hotel California
 
pburt1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,456
Default

LOL, when I flew the yak50 the first time (lastnight hehe) I turned the channel 1 ATV down until my servos had 1/2 of their full deflection. It was a little slow to turn at first but a few flights and getting the ATV to full and it was a much better.
Build it heavy, it'll have that 'sport' feel, lol.
pburt1975 is offline  
Old 10-23-2008, 03:10 PM
  #79  
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!
 
Gnascher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Auburndale, MA
Posts: 1,641
Default

Originally Posted by pburt1975 View Post
LOL, when I flew the yak50 the first time (lastnight hehe) I turned the channel 1 ATV down until my servos had 1/2 of their full deflection. It was a little slow to turn at first but a few flights and getting the ATV to full and it was a much better.
Build it heavy, it'll have that 'sport' feel, lol.
What do you think would be "sane" throws for the ailerons and elevator for this bird's maiden? Thinking something in the neighborhood of 1/2"?
Gnascher is offline  
Old 10-24-2008, 12:05 AM
  #80  
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up
 
Rolling Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: victorville california
Posts: 1,879
Default

can anyone tell me where the cg is supposed to be?i tried to maiden mine with a 2c 69gram lipo placed where the directions called for but the plane nosed straight up.

i now have a 3c 146gram lipo placed at the nose & i still feel it needs more weight in front
Rolling Thunder is offline  
Old 10-24-2008, 01:19 AM
  #81  
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up
 
Rolling Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: victorville california
Posts: 1,879
Default

well i threw caution to the wind & maidend my nasty for the 2nd time (I know thats a oxymoron) & i'm glad to report a success.maybe i'll move the cg back in 1/2 increments till i'm satisfied.will try to get my sisters camera for a couple of pics
Happy Flying-R.T.
Rolling Thunder is offline  
Old 10-24-2008, 01:55 AM
  #82  
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!
 
Gnascher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Auburndale, MA
Posts: 1,641
Default

Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
well i threw caution to the wind & maidend my nasty for the 2nd time (I know thats a oxymoron) & i'm glad to report a success.maybe i'll move the cg back in 1/2 increments till i'm satisfied.will try to get my sisters camera for a couple of pics
Happy Flying-R.T.

If you look in the plans, there's a circle that's broken up into 4 black and white quadrants just under the wing and just behind the forward part of the canopy.

This mark indicates the position of the CG. Get the plane to balance there and (according to the designer) the plane should fly fine.

I agree that the battery placement that's drawn out on the plans may not work. It'd only work if you used the exact setup as the original (same motor, same mount, same servos, same RX and ESC and all placed in exactly the same positions...). For my setup, it looks like I'm going to have to mount the battery very near to the indicated CG and above the wing in order to make it balance and not interfere with my aileron servo.
Gnascher is offline  
Old 10-24-2008, 03:31 AM
  #83  
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up
 
Rolling Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: victorville california
Posts: 1,879
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Gnascher View Post
If you look in the plans, there's a circle that's broken up into 4 black and white quadrants just under the wing and just behind the forward part of the canopy.

This mark indicates the position of the CG. Get the plane to balance there and (according to the designer) the plane should fly fine.

I agree that the battery placement that's drawn out on the plans may not work. It'd only work if you used the exact setup as the original (same motor, same mount, same servos, same RX and ESC and all placed in exactly the same positions...). For my setup, it looks like I'm going to have to mount the battery very near to the indicated CG and above the wing in order to make it balance and not interfere with my aileron servo.
Thanks gnascher i appreciate the info.it turns out my cg is a little too forward.only about a 1/2 inch

boy you have to be ready for some serious snap roll with one of these
Rolling Thunder is offline  
Old 10-24-2008, 04:06 AM
  #84  
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!
 
Gnascher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Auburndale, MA
Posts: 1,641
Default

Well here's some pics of the "Gnasty".

Minimalist on decoration at this point. If it survives the maiden I'll do some more decoration. I may add some pattern to the wings before I maiden to help with orientation.

I'm hoping to try her out tomorrow after work, but it may need to wait for Saturday or Sunday ... the sun is setting so early these days.

Current setup:
A20-20L Hacker look-alike from Blackdogrc.com
10x3.8 APC SF (Also have a 10x4.5 and an 11x5 I'll try)
36A Castle Creations ESC (Serious overkill, but it's what I had ready for service)
3 Mix n' match 9g servos
AR6000 RX

My Watt meter shows around 140W at ~14A ... so there's room to stress this motor a bit more. It last spun a 4-blade 10x8 in my Mustang. I haven't got a thrust rig set up now, but the "will it try to fly vertically from my hand" test definitely passed. My wife said "make sure you don't put that thing though the ceiling". I took that as a fair enough warning and concluded testing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1856.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	109.5 KB
ID:	81629   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1857.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	81630   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1858.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	109.1 KB
ID:	81631   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1859.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	128.2 KB
ID:	81632   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1860.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	81633  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1861.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	81634   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1862.jpg
Views:	107
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	81635  
Gnascher is offline  
Old 10-24-2008, 04:22 AM
  #85  
gfdengine204
Super Contributor
 
gfdengine204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 9,565
Default

Originally Posted by Gnascher View Post
Well here's some pics of the "Gnasty".

Minimalist on decoration at this point. If it survives the maiden I'll do some more decoration. I may add some pattern to the wings before I maiden to help with orientation.

I'm hoping to try her out tomorrow after work, but it may need to wait for Saturday or Sunday ... the sun is setting so early these days.

Current setup:
A20-20L Hacker look-alike from Blackdogrc.com
10x3.8 APC SF (Also have a 10x4.5 and an 11x5 I'll try)
36A Castle Creations ESC (Serious overkill, but it's what I had ready for service)
3 Mix n' match 9g servos
AR6000 RX

My Watt meter shows around 140W at ~14A ... so there's room to stress this motor a bit more. It last spun a 4-blade 10x8 in my Mustang. I haven't got a thrust rig set up now, but the "will it try to fly vertically from my hand" test definitely passed. My wife said "make sure you don't put that thing though the ceiling". I took that as a fair enough warning and concluded testing.
A suggestion for your maiden if you leave it naked: use some colored masking tape on the bottom of the wings to maintain orientation. Easily removed, and if you put the same number of stripes on each wing it should not affect your balance.
gfdengine204 is offline  
Old 10-24-2008, 04:46 AM
  #86  
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!
 
Gnascher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Auburndale, MA
Posts: 1,641
Default

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
A suggestion for your maiden if you leave it naked: use some colored masking tape on the bottom of the wings to maintain orientation. Easily removed, and if you put the same number of stripes on each wing it should not affect your balance.
Hmmm ... I think I've got some blue painter's tape laying around.

Kidding aside. I'm actually doing a red sunburst on the topsides right now. Just finished the left wing and tail. Planning on black checkerboard for the bottoms later.
Gnascher is offline  
Old 10-24-2008, 02:38 PM
  #87  
pburt1975
Hotel California
 
pburt1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,456
Default

Originally Posted by Gnascher View Post
Kidding aside. I'm actually doing a red sunburst on the topsides right now. Just finished the left wing and tail. Planning on black checkerboard for the bottoms later.
Mind taking a few pictures of what you're using and how your using it? Sharpie coloring takes forever, lol.

Looks good man, for the throws, I started mine at 3/4" in each direction and I think they are at 1.25 or 1.5" now (3" aileron on the end and it goes up at about a 45deg angle) and it is still very sane. But start off in a range you're comfortable with and go from there. Plus, my radio does not have expo on it, just ATV, so I fly a circuit with it like so then adjust until Im a little puckered at the stick lol.
pburt1975 is offline  
Old 10-24-2008, 02:41 PM
  #88  
gfdengine204
Super Contributor
 
gfdengine204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 9,565
Default

Originally Posted by pburt1975 View Post
Mind taking a few pictures of what you're using and how your using it? Sharpie coloring takes forever, lol.

Looks good man, for the throws, I started mine at 3/4" in each direction and I think they are at 1.25 or 1.5" now (3" aileron on the end and it goes up at about a 45deg angle) and it is still very sane. But start off in a range you're comfortable with and go from there. Plus, my radio does not have expo on it, just ATV, so I fly a circuit with it like so then adjust until Im a little puckered at the stick lol.
To avoid gray hairs, perhaps dial back a hair from the pucker-point?
gfdengine204 is offline  
Old 10-24-2008, 02:46 PM
  #89  
pburt1975
Hotel California
 
pburt1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,456
Default

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
To avoid gray hairs, perhaps dial back a hair from the pucker-point?
lmao, 4th picture in this post, that white shadow below my ear, taint no shadow. 33yo and been going gray for the past 6 of em. adds uhh character, lol..
pburt1975 is offline  
Old 10-24-2008, 02:59 PM
  #90  
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!
 
Gnascher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Auburndale, MA
Posts: 1,641
Default

Originally Posted by pburt1975 View Post
Mind taking a few pictures of what you're using and how your using it? Sharpie coloring takes forever, lol.

Looks good man, for the throws, I started mine at 3/4" in each direction and I think they are at 1.25 or 1.5" now (3" aileron on the end and it goes up at about a 45deg angle) and it is still very sane. But start off in a range you're comfortable with and go from there. Plus, my radio does not have expo on it, just ATV, so I fly a circuit with it like so then adjust until Im a little puckered at the stick lol.

I'll put it up tonight if I can. I'm using a sharpie ... all I have on hand at the moment ... and yeah ... it takes forever. I only got the top surface of the left wing and h-stab done last night.

It's really going to be nothing fancy ... I ain't no artiste, nor do I have the steady hands and patience of an artist. But, it should be a decent 20/20 job. (20 feet away, 20 mph)
Gnascher is offline  
Old 10-24-2008, 03:13 PM
  #91  
gfdengine204
Super Contributor
 
gfdengine204's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Sandwich, IL
Posts: 9,565
Default

Originally Posted by pburt1975 View Post
lmao, 4th picture in this post, that white shadow below my ear, taint no shadow. 33yo and been going gray for the past 6 of em. adds uhh character, lol..
I understand......I'll turn 40 this January.....it ain't the age though....it's the almost 4yr old girl that is turning mine.....
gfdengine204 is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 02:27 PM
  #92  
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!
 
Gnascher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Auburndale, MA
Posts: 1,641
Default

Well, the maiden was 'not so good'. I smashed it. Good thing I've got enough foam to start over.

The fun part's going to be cleaning the glue off the servos and carbon for reuse.

It just wanted to roll right and I couldn't trim it out I guess I had a twist somewhere. It was a wild ride, that landed in "lawn dart" configuration.
Gnascher is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 02:59 PM
  #93  
pburt1975
Hotel California
 
pburt1975's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 1,456
Default





Looking at this picture, it appears the aileron hinge dips down. That could have caused the roll to the right. Would have been hard to trim also if that hinge had slack in it.

Sorry man, sounds like it gave you a fit. Did your motor and lipo survive everything?
pburt1975 is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 03:03 PM
  #94  
Crashalott
Super Contributor
 
Crashalott's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Rose City,Mi. USA
Posts: 3,797
Default

Been there done that! Sorry about that.
Crash
Crashalott is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 03:53 PM
  #95  
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!
 
Gnascher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Auburndale, MA
Posts: 1,641
Default

Pburt. You're probably right. I've had taped hinges like that before, but on smaller control surfaces ... with these large surfaces it was probably more than could be compensated for with trim.

As for the equipment ... it all apears to be fine. The nice thing about foam planes is they absorb a lot of impact force as they crumble.

Crash ... thanks for the commiseration. I think I ought to adopt an alias similar to yours.

I'm going to start over, and use pinned hinges ... I've got a bunch laying around.
Gnascher is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 05:00 PM
  #96  
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up
 
Rolling Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: victorville california
Posts: 1,879
Default

Hey Gnascher one suggestion is mount your battery under the wing for a little more stability-RT
Rolling Thunder is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 05:28 PM
  #97  
Gnascher
Got My TX - Need 2 Fly!
 
Gnascher's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Auburndale, MA
Posts: 1,641
Default

Originally Posted by Rolling Thunder View Post
Hey Gnascher one suggestion is mount your battery under the wing for a little more stability-RT
Well, the problem is that the battery needed to be very close to the CG. Under the wing that'd have interfered with the aileron servo.

The location I placed it at is very close to the thrust line, and really shouldn't have affected stability too much.

When I rebuild, I'll see if I can move the rud/ele servers further back which should shift my CG more rearward and allow for a more forward mounting position of the battery. I'll then see if it can take a low position.
Gnascher is offline  
Old 10-26-2008, 08:22 PM
  #98  
Rolling Thunder
Keep the sunny side up
 
Rolling Thunder's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: victorville california
Posts: 1,879
Default

Originally Posted by Gnascher View Post
Well, the problem is that the battery needed to be very close to the CG. Under the wing that'd have interfered with the aileron servo.

The location I placed it at is very close to the thrust line, and really shouldn't have affected stability too much.

When I rebuild, I'll see if I can move the rud/ele servers further back which should shift my CG more rearward and allow for a more forward mounting position of the battery. I'll then see if it can take a low position.
Hey Gnascher i know you know a ton more than i do about planes sorry if my suggestion sounded dopey

well heres a pic of my nasty.i covered mine with blue tape & plan on trying to put yellow checkers on top of the wing.no landing gear she's a belly flopper

notice how far forward my battery is i think its because i used a heavier foam.its 1/2 inch foam.total weight is 19oz.i dont know why but i can never find any of the blue dow foam or the pink stuff either.ive been looking over a month for it

shes not really a 3d plane with that motor.i am waiting for my TP 2409 motor to
come in the mail,i hope that does the trick thanks-RT

btw-I want to give a big thanks to Tyler for starting this thread-much appreciated-RT
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc00858.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	117.9 KB
ID:	81806  

Last edited by Rolling Thunder; 10-28-2008 at 09:59 PM. Reason: btw
Rolling Thunder is offline  
Old 11-11-2008, 09:41 PM
  #99  
TylerJCooper
Member
Thread Starter
 
TylerJCooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 521
Default

I sure love seeing the pictures! I saved up and ordered my servos off of e-bay. It has taken quite a while and I haven't heard anything from the seller, so I went to check the status. Come to find out that the seller in no longer avaliable. He was even a power seller with a 98% overall rating. Go figure the luck. I am in the midst of getting my money back from PayPal, THEN, I am going to get some servos. I really appreciate all the pictures! It really has fired me back up to see my NASTY get into the air.
TylerJCooper is offline  
Old 02-08-2009, 04:31 AM
  #100  
TylerJCooper
Member
Thread Starter
 
TylerJCooper's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Omaha, NE
Posts: 521
Default

Has it really been almost three months! Wow, well I finally got my Nasty done. I put in the electronics, servo rods, and hinges today. I did a couple test runs in the garage and am waiting for the perfect day to take out.

I really have to thank the guys at WF for making this happen. The engine (370 E-Flight), ESC (25 AMP), and advise was donated. This time last year all I had was a Aerobird that I crashed on a school. The people at WF donated some items and lit a fire under me. I have been enjoying the birds more and more. I really appreciate everything that you guys have done.

Here is a couple pictures of the Nasty
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	P1015789.jpg
Views:	241
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	92915   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1015790.jpg
Views:	248
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	92916   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1015792.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	75.3 KB
ID:	92917   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1015793.jpg
Views:	235
Size:	82.1 KB
ID:	92918   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1015794.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	102.5 KB
ID:	92919  

TylerJCooper is offline  

Quick Reply: A Scratch Builder (Trying to do the "Nasty")


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13089 seconds with 26 queries