Pusher Park Jets For all pusher jets and jet-like models.

Any Info on the walkera/dragonfly sonic space plane.

Old 08-04-2008, 10:25 AM
zoom505

info Any Info on the walkera/dragonfly sonic space plane.

Folks,

Have trawled the net looking for some more info on this plane available from a shop in the UK. I think it was made by walkera or dragonfly...etc

http://www.rchobby.co.uk/sonic_rtf_space_plane.html

I think its out of production. Looks weird but offers high stability in wind. It a dual pusher. It seems from the video to be a big beast, and with a few mods could be great for AP. I cannot find one report on this anywhere. No photos etc save the small video clip.

All info greatly appreciated....

Zoom505
Old 08-05-2008, 04:27 AM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

That is a clone of the Multiplex sconic liner. Walkera airplanes have been out of production for close to a couple years now, your only hope is ro get one out in the supply chain somewhere. That site you posted is quite pricey, most Walkera airframes were about $100 bare.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:30 PM
zoom505

Default Wow

Very close for comfort in design. Checked out the photos. Am trying to decide between that and the multiplex twinstar as a platform for AP.

Need good stability in very high wind. Am also considering a flying wing. Got a great lead for a firm in the UK who make big wings.

Zoom505
Old 08-05-2008, 05:11 PM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by zoom505 View Post
Very close for comfort in design. Checked out the photos. Am trying to decide between that and the multiplex twinstar as a platform for AP.

Need good stability in very high wind. Am also considering a flying wing. Got a great lead for a firm in the UK who make big wings.

Zoom505
Stability in high wind usually comes from higher weight and even higher power. I've not been really happy with flying wings in high winds. maybe it's me, maybe not. I've found that longer fuselages, heavier weight and silly power levels to be the most compfortable. This canard design is a good one.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:05 PM
zoom505

Default I figured as much

J, I agree. If you watch footage on youtube of the bigger wings they can very easily get into a rocking motion and take longer to turn. With less fuselage balance becomes even more critical.

The walkera SR71 model and the sonic space plane seem to have better forward stability and better turning radius. I need a slow flyer, good stability and good power with moderate to good turning capability. I think the sonic or a vareze canard rutan design could potentially do that....

cheers

Z
Old 08-05-2008, 07:18 PM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Since you are comparing Walkera Jets, The F-22 really is a good one. I would strongly suggest that if possible, do an elevator conversion as Walkera as set up with ailevators....... the wing surfaces function as elevators and ailerons. What you end up with is as change in pitch with throttle. Adding throttle pushes the nose down, cutting throttle makes them pitch up. Changing to elevators changes the characteristic of the model greatly. The F-22 is a jewel, the only downside is that the twin 75mm fans are amp hungry.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:11 AM
zoom505

I will have to go for a dual motor battery set up that will give me the best endurance and power set up going. I am going to be less concerned with speed as far as AP is concerned. more a point of getting to altitude and sitting there for protracted periods of time. Am gonna have to start trawling for a good motor set-up with efficient props.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:06 AM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

I will have to go for a dual motor battery set up that will give me the best endurance and power set up going. I am going to be less concerned with speed as far as AP is concerned. more a point of getting to altitude and sitting there for protracted periods of time. Am gonna have to start trawling for a good motor set-up with efficient props.
Twin motors will consume more power, based on what your intended purpose appears to be, you would be better off with a single outrunner and prop that can push (and carry) an increase battery capacity. You want low amp draw and moderate thrust.

I would tend to go for twin motors for speed, not maximum time aloft.
Old 08-07-2008, 09:23 AM
zoom505

Will that give me enough umph to get airborne with the model in question? What size motor am I looking at?
Old 08-09-2008, 01:28 AM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Well, the problem is that the model in question is set up for twin pusher props. If you are handy, changing the configuration wouldn't be a problem. Then go for a brushless outrunner and prop that will give more thrust than the total AUW of the plane. That will give the punch needed for vertical performance , then throttle back and glide.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:37 AM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

Folks,

Have trawled the net looking for some more info on this plane available from a shop in the UK. I think it was made by walkera or dragonfly...etc

http://www.rchobby.co.uk/sonic_rtf_space_plane.html

I think its out of production. Looks weird but offers high stability in wind. It a dual pusher. It seems from the video to be a big beast, and with a few mods could be great for AP. I cannot find one report on this anywhere. No photos etc save the small video clip.

All info greatly appreciated....

Zoom505
Wish it was still in production - I'd kill for a spare Sonic Liner
Old 08-11-2008, 02:43 PM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

hey Jeff, I just happen to know where one resides. Shipping might be a problem though, it's partiall assembled. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.
Old 08-11-2008, 08:43 PM
zoom505

Im sure rchobby.co.uk must have them for sale if they are available on their site. They never replied to my email query. was going to phone them. sure it must be a dead ringer for the multiplex...!!! Very easy to get it from the UK to Ireland. Not sure on shipping to the US though..Have spent the last few days drooling over twinstars as an alternative..
Old 08-11-2008, 09:41 PM
Joe 1320
Super Contributor

Ya know, if you are ever able to contact them I would be curious as to what they have in stock. I could never get an e-mail answer from them either.
Old 08-11-2008, 09:45 PM
Old Fart
Lost at LAX

When I was looking for a Sonic Liner (Multiplex) a year ago, I found about a half dozen distributers that still showed them on their web page - it wasn't until you hit "add to cart" for a lot of them that you found out they didn't exist. My guess is that may be what's happening with this Walkera "clone"

Fun plane to fly - I have mine about 90% painted in United's current livery