Warbird Electrics Discuss e-powered warbirds in here!

PZ F4U Corsair

Old 09-06-2008, 08:40 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I had some of the glow guys asking where they could buy one.
Old 09-08-2008, 12:06 AM
Rick Marshall (Thud)

Default Flew mine this weekend

I flew my Corsair this weekend put in 5 flights on Sat and another 5 on Sunday, added a couple of flights on the AT-6 too. All and all a nice weekend. The Corsair is a winner no doubt about that, the plane showed no bad habits in the air at all, stalls are a none event, plane feels solid, inverted flight is easy with just a bit of stick pressure required to keep it level. Anyone that has flown the T-28 will have no problem with the Corsair. I think the Corsair is bit faster and has a higher roll rate than the T-28. I did have one problem with it, I generally fly off of grass in parks and the small main wheels dig in pretty easily it did nose over on landing a couple of times I even managed to flip it on takeoff. One was a pretty hard and the top of the rudder took a good lick.
Though no real damage was done I opted to do a couple of easy mods. I applied some clear tape on the bit of the vertical stab to reinforce that sliver of foam. To make the rudder less prone to damage from the Arizona Bermuda grass I drilled a hole down from the top of the rudder about 3/4 of an inch and then glued in piece of brass tubing. This helped straighten it from Saturdays flip over and appears to have protected it well today. The other mod I did was no surprise bigger wheels. If you are also flying off of grass and have not maidened yours yet I would suggest that you put in a bit of up elevator in before you power up and then keep a watchful eye lest you be looking at the belly of your plane, then worse have to walk out onto the field to turn it over (Oh the shame!).
If you are at all interested in getting one of these all I can say is get one. Its a good one!

Cheers
Old 09-08-2008, 01:14 AM
rcers
Super Contributor

Guys - check your F4U's.....

My buddy Ron had an issue this am....
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=711

VERY BAD!

Check yours!

Mike
Old 09-08-2008, 01:24 AM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

Originally Posted by Rick Marshall (Thud) View Post
I flew my Corsair this weekend put in 5 flights on Sat and another 5 on Sunday,

If you are at all interested in getting one of these all I can say is get one. Its a good one!

Cheers
well i think i am sold, this bird seems to be a winner.
Old 09-08-2008, 02:43 AM
Bad_B

Default Battery Compartment

Wow, I did the motor swap and didnít even notice the screw does protrude into the battery compartment, albeit the battery would really have to be pushed in hard to reach it. As I stated Iím using TP 2200 V2 lipos, they also all have Velcro on them, as they are used in my other planes and that seems to catch on the hook and loop seatbelt the Corsair has. Iím going to put a dab of shoe goo on that screw just to be safe.

Thanks for the heads up.

Brian
Old 09-08-2008, 03:40 AM
Rick Marshall (Thud)

Default Thanks

Originally Posted by rcers View Post

VERY BAD!

Check yours!

Mike
I will check mine before she flys again!

Cheers
Old 09-08-2008, 05:05 AM
jecchile

Did the holes in the engine mount match the Power-10 mounting holes?
Thanks...

Originally Posted by Bad_B View Post
Well Iím happy to report that the E-Flite power 10 motor is a straightforward install. Iím running the same battery, TP 2200 V2 3S 25C and the Phoenix 36A ESC using an APC 12x6E prop. Performance is great, unlimited vertical or at least to the point were it gets real hard to see. Flight times are a solid 10:30 using mixed acrobatic/scale flight maneuvers. The prop clearance is no problem as the Corsair is a tail dragger. What little runway the plane required has now shrank to no runway required. I am very happy with the upgrade and would recommend it to anyone who wants more zip in their Corsair.

Brian
Old 09-08-2008, 05:35 AM
ltbidrawn

Default Exact thing happened to me!!!!

Originally Posted by rcers View Post

VERY BAD!

Check yours!

Mike
oh man...i cant believe this. i'm flying along all happy and suddenly the corsair goes beserk...squaking...making wierd noises. and then it simply drops from the air.....not glides but drops....like a hammer.
been flying 20 years and NEVER had a plane to that.
i was maybe 50 feet...not to high....damage isn't too bad...totally fixable.

but my brand new lipo is punctured....like it took a nail or something.

i gotta tell you, this totally makes sense now. guys at the field all brought thiers down and started modding the battery tray.
Old 09-08-2008, 05:43 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I looked at mine and it is sticking into the battery compartment but the foam stops at the bottom of the battery tray won't allow the battery to reach the screw.

I am going to take care of the problem, but I wonder if the punctured batteries happened after some sort of a crash that would collapse the foam stops, allowing the battery to reach the screw. I would guess that every single Coursair has that screw in the same place.

You guys with punctured batteries should let Horizon know about the problem, since you can speak from experience. Call customer service and I bet they would like to know.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:20 AM
ltbidrawn

Default easy fix, poor design

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
I looked at mine and it is sticking into the battery compartment but the foam stops at the bottom of the battery tray won't allow the battery to reach the screw.

I am going to take care of the problem, but I wonder if the punctured batteries happened after some sort of a crash that would collapse the foam stops, allowing the battery to reach the screw. I would guess that every single Coursair has that screw in the same place.

You guys with punctured batteries should let Horizon know about the problem, since you can speak from experience. Call customer service and I bet they would like to know.

it's not my intention to throw horizon under the bus. but i've gotta say that this is a serious design flaw, an accident waiting to happen.
i checked the motormount screw in my corsair and it's been blackened, burnt. the area around the battery is melted.
obviously, lipos hold huge amounts of power...releasing it with a screw ain't good. in general, it's not a good practice to have pointy things near batteries.

i just want a new plane. this crash was not my fault.
Old 09-08-2008, 11:18 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by ltbidrawn View Post
it's not my intention to throw horizon under the bus. but i've gotta say that this is a serious design flaw, an accident waiting to happen.
i checked the motormount screw in my corsair and it's been blackened, burnt. the area around the battery is melted.
obviously, lipos hold huge amounts of power...releasing it with a screw ain't good. in general, it's not a good practice to have pointy things near batteries.

Excuse me but, I still do not understand why "a" F4U that was reported over at RCGroups dot com was observed to go

suddenly the corsair goes beserk...squaking...making wierd noises.
Taken from:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...&postcount=753

What I do not understand is why didn't this Li-POLY battery get shorted once the owner inserted inside the FUSE? Why did it failed in mid flight as there is a velcro securing loop to provide enough securing from the battery to shift forward?

I believe there is something else that caused this F4U Corsair to drop from the sky
Old 09-08-2008, 11:51 AM
guapoman2000
Space Ship 1

Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post
Excuse me but, I still do not understand why "a" F4U that was reported over at RCGroups dot com was observed to go

Taken from:

What I do not understand is why didn't this Li-POLY battery get shorted once the owner inserted inside the FUSE? Why did it failed in mid flight as there is a velcro securing loop to provide enough securing from the battery to shift forward?

I believe there is something else that caused this F4U Corsair to drop from the sky

HOLLY SMOKES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you guys open the Cockpit / Battery hatch and place your face as close to the TOP FUSE and LOOK INSIDE you can see the FREAKING SCREW!!!

I TOOK A PENCIL AND THE ERASER GOT DENTED WITH JUST A SLIGHT PUSH TOWARDS THIS SCREW!

I SAW THAT IT IS THE RIGHT SIDE SCREW HOLDING THE FIREWALL.

I AM DEAD WRONG AND THIS IS SOMETHING THAT EVERYONE SHOULD TAKE NOTE.

Too bad someone's Model had to crash!!!
Old 09-08-2008, 12:58 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

Yup, your fault carlos...

you rushed them into getting them here early, and they missed this flaw!
Old 09-08-2008, 01:29 PM
tubamike78

i think a cheap fix for this would be to ca a bit of fuel tubeing over the screw, that way you can still get the screw out to change a broken motor mount.
Old 09-08-2008, 03:38 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by tubamike78 View Post
i think a cheap fix for this would be to ca a bit of fuel tubeing over the screw, that way you can still get the screw out to change a broken motor mount.
The screw really needs to be shortened. It would pierce fuel tubing easily.

Mike
Old 09-08-2008, 06:40 PM
ltbidrawn

Default here's what happened...

Originally Posted by guapoman2000 View Post

Taken from:

i inserted the batt into the plane, pushed it in with marginal force. my plane makes a quick "squeeek" and then goes quiet. i thought it was strange but it seemed to be ok.
i check all my control surfaces, check throttle and then heave it into the air. at this point, i believe the battery was already breached. a few rolls, hammer stalls and loops enlarged the puncture.
ultimately, it became fatal.
the offending screw is very easy to see (lower right of motor mount).
i just want a new corsair.
Old 09-08-2008, 06:46 PM
jayxer

wow, thanks for the heads up on the motor mount screw..... that is unfortunate for those that lost a plane due to this. Call Horizon, and I should hope they will replace them, or atleast the parts that broke and a lipo.

I took mine out friday evening for its maiden flight, and had two scares, One HUGE and the other is minor, but annoying.

I installed a AR6100e receiver, and bound it to my DX6i, all seemed fine. I didn't have the necessary equipment to bind it the way the manual calls for, but found another method online, whereby you just put the bind plug on the BATT pins, and hold the trainer switch in the up position, until the binding is complete. Everything seemed fine, and ROG'd for my first flight, Needed TONS of up elevator to keep the thing level, so that was hairy to begin with, so I tried to get a lot of altitude in order to give me some time to adjust the trim. Well I got up to a comfortable height, and boom..... no reaction with the Tx anymore. I saw her plunging downward, and unresponsive for 5-7 seconds, as I started to run in the direction of its impending demise. It was over a subdivision, and I would have surely never found it, but luckily after the 5-7 seconds, as I was holding the sticks while running, I saw it start to pull tight loops and was back in control. I brought it in immediately and upon landing, encountered my second flaw... I broke the tail wheel assembly.

First off, why the heck did I lose control for that period of time? Is the range on the DX6i and AR6100e that poor? I have a standard DX6, bound to an AR6100 in my T-28 and have flown much further away, and much higher, and NEVER had any problems. At this point, I'm too afraid to put her back in the air, for the fear of losing her altogether..... I'm lucky I had the altitude I did at the moment it lost signal. And second, how am I to fix the tail wheel problem? Upon dissecting it, the wire of the tailwheel is sandwhiched between to pieces of plastic, and apparently glued together. I can't just glue the assembly back together, because it must be inserted into the plastic sleeve in two pieces, and then assembled.... there seems to be no easy remedy for this.
Old 09-08-2008, 07:26 PM
tubamike78

the 6100 and 6100e has the same range. i use the 6100e in my stryker and i fly it straight up out till i can't see it anymore and i still have controle over it. maby for some reason it did not bind properly or the receiver may be defective.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:31 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

Did you remove the bind plug?

It actually sounds like you had a reciever re-boot. two questions:
1) what version is your 6100 at (look at the top side you should see a little sticker or a number with a v in front of it) you should be at v1.2 for the quick re-boot feature

2) did you loosen up the ailerons? The ailerons on this plane are EXTREAMLY tight when new. this can cause the aileron servos to jam an cause an amperage spike which might cause the ESC to drop voltage to the receiver (causing a re-boot) Make sure you loosen up the ailerons by disconnecting the servo from the aileron and wiggling them back and forth to loosen them up.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:52 PM
jayxer

Yes I did remove the bind plug!! I imagine there are those who haven't though....

Actually the amperage spike sounds plausible.... in fact I remember doing just that with my T-28, when new. I will definitely disconnect the servo linkage and loosen the ailerons up before my next flight.

Any ideas on how to repair the tailwheel? It's a very odd setup, and the more I try to repair it unsuccessfully, the more I hate the design.
Old 09-08-2008, 09:16 PM
DetroitHawk
Super Awesome

were you using the PKZ battery?
Old 09-08-2008, 09:40 PM
ltbidrawn

Default battery

Originally Posted by DetroitHawk View Post
were you using the PKZ battery?
no, i was using a brand new Zippy 2200mah 3S.
i found the PZK batts to be too tight for the slot, especially with velcro on both sides.
in hindsite, i should have not inserted the batt all the way.

i called horizon. they want me to send the plane back. the tech told me to put a piece of foam or rubber over the offending screw.

wish i had know this 12 hours earlier
Old 09-08-2008, 10:09 PM
jayxer

i called horizon. they want me to send the plane back. the tech told me to put a piece of foam or rubber over the offending screw.

no kidding, what the heck did the tech tell you that for, the incident already happened, and theres nothing that can be done after the fact....
Old 09-08-2008, 11:32 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

no, i was using a brand new Zippy 2200mah 3S.
i found the PZK batts to be too tight for the slot, especially with velcro on both sides.
in hindsite, i should have not inserted the batt all the way.

Send it in - and show the pics - and link to the forum discussion. Tell them kindly that you want a new airplane/battery. I suspect that you will get a whole new setup.

I also suspect we will have a service advisory in the next couple of weeks!

Mike
Old 09-08-2008, 11:47 PM
ltbidrawn

Default i want a new plane....

Originally Posted by jayxer View Post
no kidding, what the heck did the tech tell you that for, the incident already happened, and theres nothing that can be done after the fact....
horizon has always been very good about replacing defective merchandise. i have no reason to believe they would cease the practice.
it's one of the main reasons i buy thier products.

Quick Reply: PZ F4U Corsair

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12776 seconds with 11 queries