General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Club Issues

Old 09-09-2008, 06:04 PM
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

Default Club Issues

Got a few questions for you guys in clubs. How much are you paying for yearly dues? I've got quite a story, I'll try to keep it short.

In my opinion, my club is one of the largest clubs in northern Indiana, and we may have one of the best sites. However, there is so much drama, that it just isn't enjoyable to attend meetings anymore. Most of the club wants a paved runway, but then there's the few that are dead set against it and do anything to keep it from happening. (That's a whole other story)

One of my biggest gripes, is the way the Club Board handles money. Every year we end up with excess funds, even for being a non-profit organization. The yearly budget is never re-written with the future of the club in mind, and this was the subject of recent drama at a meeting a few months ago. In the end, nothing was decided to be done about it. It was kind of 'back burnered'. This brings me to my current conflict.
The last time I checked, we were one of the most expensive clubs in the state. $60 a year for dues, on top of AMA dues. Now at October's meeting the board wants everyone to vote on a dues increase to $84 per year! They say the rate increase is because no one wants to mow, so they have to pay for it. Now I'm sure it could be paid for without a rate increase, since we always have excess money every year, and the club never spends it on anything.

If the new rate gets voted in, I was going to not renew next year, and join the next closest club (45 min drive instead of 20). But I got to thinking. I know if I bring up these thoughts and issues at a meeting no one takes me seriously, since I'm one of the youngest members. (I'm 25 years old, this club is full of old folks) However, someday I'd like to run for club president, and get things run the way they should be, so if the new rate does get passed, I may have to suck it up and pay.

What are your club's dues? Should I be complaining about $84 annual dues? Thoughts?
Old 09-09-2008, 06:19 PM
theKM

$25 and $40 respectively for two clubs in the area... but dues are very specific to club situations. Politics can always be an issue with the club scene.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:32 PM
pd1
Still Learning

I pay $75 per year for the club I'm in.
The lease for the field eats up most of the dues.

This club is pretty good. The people are all very reasonable and don't seem to have closed minds on different issues.

I have been in clubs with people like you described. Usually the loudest ones are the ones that don't fly.

Get more active in the running of the club, if you have the time, and they'll have to take you more seriously.
There are other positions other than president.

Just my opinion.

Paul
Old 09-09-2008, 06:35 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I vote for don't complain!

My club dues are $105 per year. Now my son gets on as a family member for $1 so in reality it's $55.50 a piece but that's beside the point.

We have a contractor mow the grounds and it is always immaculate. It is well worth the price as far as I'm concerned as the next nearest club is quite a ways away. Mine is less than 15 minutes depending on traffic.

One of our issues is that we are on city park property and in addition to our club dues we have to pay for a city permit (included) in our dues.

We have a really good group of people and that always helps. Sure there is one or two that are a pain but for the most part everyone is amicable.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:37 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Well the club I have been a member of since 1989 IS $50 yearly but when you first join its $50 to join and a $50 for runway fee as they call it.
if you join after half the year is up like now its only $25 with the $50

We have a nice club and mostly older folks also I am 28, Some take things to extremes on subjects I bring up. Thats just how most clubs are.

We have a mower and we all take turns cutting the feild, people just volunteer to do it, and if someone cant do it , as if something comes up they just call the main guy in charge ( feild maintence guy we call it) and he does it, has worked out well for past 3 yrs or so, except this yr few forgot and I cut it but no biggie we cut it on thurs so its nice for the weekend.

we have been discussion having a member Cut off number cause one of the other clubs local to us might end up loosing there feild and most felt the club would get to crowed, but like this last weekend they were 5 of us out saturday for about 3 hours then all but myself left. then sunday only 3 of us for a hour they left them myself then about 7 others showed up later after a hour ot two, were never packed, I think we have about 12 pit tables, and a nice shed others stay on and only time were out of tables is special events, once every 4 months or something.

If your in a club they will always be issues, My club wanted a praved runway for ever, only to fly glow jets off of the feild were short about 280 feet long, they got it passed after raising the money but its nothing something we needed. pavment is ruff on planes they they crash and or have no wheels and land on it.

Good luck, I have a meeting tonight hope its better then the last one.
Old 09-09-2008, 06:56 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

We have a paved runway and that is what helped me make the decision to join.

There are a lot of smaller planes (park flyer and electrics) that have small wheels and have trouble on anything smooth dirt or pavement to ROG and LOW (land on wheels) (not sure if that is a term, if not I just made it up!)

Anyway. We have had several new members join with smaller planes due to having the capability of flying like the bigger planes on takeoff and landing.

I too felt like the odd man out even though I am a bit older, still newish to the hobby though so did not get a lot of respect. I have volunteered to run our Electric fly in now for the last two years and have pretty much taken over "all things electric" as the president likes to say.

I get a lot of respect from the senior club members now since I have stepped up into a leadership role in a way. Get involved in the club activities at any level any your input will be felt.
Old 09-09-2008, 07:21 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

I'd prob join a club if it was a electric only club... and it wasn't more than $100 to start, and less than that yearly... but currently the only local club I know is mainly gas, and they have a small patch "in back" for the electrics... and it costs about $175 to start... and the buddy I go with cant possibly afford that, so I'd have to cover him.... and I'm just not gonna pay that high a price not to even to have a decent runway... (they don't want electrics using the nice gas runway....) thats about the only main reason I'd consider a club anyways...

PS. I have a couple 48" balsa 3d planes that are just about the same size as their gas ones... so they can't even call mine "parkflyers" even though thats where I currently fly em'

SK
Old 09-09-2008, 07:46 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

I hate to hear that about other clubs... the us vs them mentality.

I was flying my Cox Micro Warbird the same time the other day as a guy with a 1/4 scale 25cc gasoline GeeBee Sportster. Heck when I fly my Airliner everybody else lands to watch, or get out of the way depending on how you look at it!:o

I won Best Civilian Aircraft at our recent club Scale meet with my 1/5 sclae Cox (Electric)Waco. Of the 75 or so planes that was there about 90% were wet powered and the award was voted on by all the pilots.

We just don't have the issue of wet vs dry powered aircraft at our club.

Lucky I guess!
Old 09-09-2008, 07:52 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

My dues are $50 a year for club. we are on a dump (litteraly) and have a grass field. mainly 2 guys mow, but it's supposed to be round about. (i'd be happy to do my part).
Old 09-09-2008, 08:20 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
There are a lot of smaller planes (park flyer and electrics) that have small wheels and have trouble on anything smooth dirt or pavement to ROG and LOW (land on wheels) (not sure if that is a term, if not I just made it up!)
Well, considering the alternatives to a LOW are a LON (land on nose), a LOW (land on wing), or a LOC (land on canopy), I think that one probably goes without saying.

(And yes, I know there are belly floppers too--I'm just messing with ya. )
Old 09-09-2008, 08:22 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post
Well, considering the alternatives to a LOW are a LON (land on nose), a LOW (land on wing), or a LOC (land on canopy), I think that one probably goes without saying.

(And yes, I know there are belly floppers too--I'm just messing with ya. )

LOL... I have tried them all!

Hard to taxi a bellyflopper back on grass or pavement!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:25 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

LOL... I have tried them all!

Hard to taxi a bellyflopper back on grass or pavement!
Actually, my PBY Catalina taxis quite well on grass when I'm running it with a 3S LiPo. Heck, it'll even do SoG (scoot on ground) take-offs from a well-manicured soccer patch.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:27 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Cool, The Stryker doesn't do so well!
Old 09-09-2008, 08:29 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Our club dues are $25 and $50 for the two local clubs close to me. I belong to the one that is $50 since it's 15 minutes from my house. The guys there are great and even though I'm the only one that is total electric they were very welcoming. They certainly give me a hard time about my little electrics but they take it very well when I jab them back about their stinky, slimy planes. It's all in good fun. I would gladly pay $100 per year for a club with a nice paved runway (we don't have one).

You might also consider how much money you will spend in gas driving to the field that is 45 minutes away. I'll bet it will add up to way more than the difference in the cost of the two clubs.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:35 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Oh and let me say this. I don't mind the $105 I have to pay one bit for the opportunity to use our field. Complete isolation from the outside world and no worries about anything in addition to the great runway and facilities.

We are in a very metropolitan area and to have this much area to safely fly in is priceless.

In the evenings you can watch the deer come out and graze, see the bald Eagles, Hawks and such flying around, as well as the occasioanal Peacock roaming the grounds. That is how isolated we are in a sea of concrete and urban sprawl.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:39 PM
EpoweredRc
3D Flyer

Yeah Bill, It depends on your role and your flying at most, one local club seems like you have to drive a 12,000+ truck to be in there click. and or have inportant jobs, Most find those stuck up folks, its like $150 to join the club if you don't live in that county.

My club has not fee's as that. Ever heard of the SPA? The guy who started it is a member at my club and flew with my dad in the 70's there old buds but a lot of the SPA seem to stick together and every since I flew in ther SPA this year they seem to gotten friendlier to me. Before I kinda flet like a outcast. I am one of two 3D pilots and the other never shows up when others are there.

I guess it does not matter where you fly it will always be like that. I flew with just a group of guys a month ago in a big feild and had so much fun, no rules just fun its great, but were located right with the Paulding county sherriffs training place and they have buildings( offices) at end of feild and if a plane ever hit one we be SOL I think. have to take percations
Old 09-09-2008, 08:41 PM
Grasshopper
Some Assembly Required

Oh and let me say this. I don't mind the $105 I have to pay one bit for the opportunity to use our field. Complete isolation from the outside world and no worries about anything in addition to the great runway and facilities.

We are in a very metropolitan area and to have this much area to safely fly in is priceless.

In the evenings you can watch the deer come out and graze, see the bald Eagles, Hawks and such flying around, as well as the occasioanal Peacock roaming the grounds. That is how isolated we are in a sea of concrete and urban sprawl.

Yeah....well......I saw a dead armadillo at our field once.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:42 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Grasshopper View Post
Yeah....well......I saw a dead armadillo at our field once.

LOL... No Armadillos around here... Possum and racoons maybe...
Old 09-09-2008, 08:42 PM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

My old club had dues of $50 a year.
That is for a gopher infested dirt runway.

I recently moved, and in this town, there is a great club with a 600 foot paved runway.
The dues there is $100 a year......I still need to join!
Old 09-09-2008, 09:23 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

$80 and $100 respectively for two clubs in my area -- both clubs have paved runways. AMA dues are extra.

Andy -- Out of curiosity, what are you flying that requires a club? Could you just find out where the local "park pilots" fly? Part of the true joy of electric flight, is that you can fly almost anywhere!
Old 09-10-2008, 02:26 AM
Firestem4
inexorably eccentric

Sorry about all of the problems with your club man.

The club i am wanting to join is actually the cheapest club in the area. its $150 annually, initial $150 field/runway maintenance fee. Thankfully they have senior, family and student discounst. (Student is $75 a year.)

One thing is though the club is growing, its one of the smaller clubs. The Casitas club about 35 miles away are incredibly huge. They cost, i think $225 annually, AMA fee's not included.

From what ive gathered the profit margine for the one I would like to join was like $5 last year.
A nice addendum is that the club is 5 minutse away, in a secluded area in a city park and has a 450x35 foot paved runway.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:38 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

I belonged to a club, paid dues, and hated that club, sfdrcmc, even had one member tried to hit me with his gas plane, i had to duck down to avoid being hit, the people dont even hardly talk to you, a bunch of snobs in my book, I dont fly there any more, its not worth it, I was going to have that guy arrested, not worth it, no more paid clubs for me, to much drama, I guess he did not like the fact that I was flying electrics, when he was flying a nitro plane, take care, Chellie

I see ministeve has run into this problem too.

ministeve2003
Class Clown

Friends: (11)

I'd prob join a club if it was a electric only club... and it wasn't more than $100 to start, and less than that yearly... but currently the only local club I know is mainly gas, and they have a small patch "in back" for the electrics... and it costs about $175 to start... and the buddy I go with cant possibly afford that, so I'd have to cover him.... and I'm just not gonna pay that high a price not to even to have a decent runway... (they don't want electrics using the nice gas runway....) thats about the only main reason I'd consider a club anyways...

PS. I have a couple 48" balsa 3d planes that are just about the same size as their gas ones... so they can't even call mine "parkflyers" even though thats where I currently fly em'

SK

Last edited by CHELLIE; 09-10-2008 at 03:03 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:36 AM
Relsom

Hey FiremanBill, I had no idea there was a field actually in Newport News. I just finished a 5 year contract at the shipyard so I don't get by there regularly anymore but I'd still like to check you guys out when passing through from Richmond. Are you downtown or up near Eustis?

I haven't been in a club since the early 90's but I remember it being about $50/year. Since getting back into RC last year we've been pretty lucky getting some time in at the local soccer fields, 3 within 10 min. It's hit or miss whether we have the field though. We don't fly if it's occupied. And as we progress from our relatively slow, small trainers into bigger, faster planes I can see having to get back into the club thing again. It's more a matter of drive time than drama, fees, or anything else. There are 2 within 45 min and last I checked there was like a $50 up front fee plus an annual $75. I liked the one I was in before. Most everyone was very welcoming to newcomers - gas, gliders, helis, it didn't matter, though electrics weren't very abundant back then. Since the last of the LHSs in this area closed in July there's nowhere to find the old-timers hanging out to get the latest goings on, unless you count Hobbytown, and no one really hangs out there. I'd say I miss the club more than I would have a reason not to be in it due to any drama or politics as far as I recall.

...Chris

Last edited by Relsom; 09-10-2008 at 04:26 AM. Reason: Needed on-topic content
Old 09-10-2008, 03:43 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

My club dues are $40/year. There is a club 40 mins away, those dues are $75, with a $300 initiation fee. They have a real nice paved runway, paved pits, a play area for kids, grandstands, etc. Our club just relocated to a new field, on property owned by one of our members. He is also our field marshall, and cut this field out of his corn crops. (Think "If you build it, they will come") Marty has done a great job with it, and while it is all grass, it is great. The club is awesome.

Remember, you can stay quiet, but if you are paying dues, your dues give you the right to voice your opinion. You never know, there may be others who feel the same.

I have been told I may be "volunteered" to run for club president for next year, so I understand where you are coming from there.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:44 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Hey Chris we are right off Ft Eustis Blvd, Yorktown side of the Interstate towards York County. It really is a great field.

You ought to come down to our Electric fly-in in a couple fo weeks!

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37388

Here is the club website. Let me know when you can come by and we'll fly together!

http://www.newportnewsrc.org

Quick Reply: Club Issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12541 seconds with 13 queries