General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Club Issues

Old 09-10-2008, 03:47 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Hey Chris we are right off Ft Eustis Blvd, Yorktown side of the Interstate towards York County. It really is a great field.

You ought to come down to our Electric fly-in in a couple fo weeks!

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37388

Here is the club website. Let me know when you can come by and we'll fly together!

http://www.newportnewsrc.org

If you have a Jenny, don't let Bill fly it. He has....."history"....with those.....as his boy.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:50 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
If you have a Jenny, don't let Bill fly it. He has....."history"....with those.....as his boy.
huh??? and don't change it this time just explain yerself....

And he still won't let me fly that Darn Jenny... Guess I'm gonna have to get my own!
Old 09-10-2008, 03:52 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

huh??? and don't change it this time just explain yerself....

And he still won't let me fly that Darn Jenny... Guess I'm gonna have to get my own!
Sorry Bill.....ASK his boy.......

Must be time for a new keyboard here.......
Old 09-10-2008, 04:04 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

LOL, just riding ya Kev!
Old 09-10-2008, 04:05 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

LOL, just riding ya Kev!
I know.....I will return the favor.....maybe sooner than you think.
Old 09-10-2008, 04:06 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

You always do...
Old 09-10-2008, 04:07 AM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

You always do...
I had two good teachers.......
Old 09-10-2008, 05:00 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

I belong to 2 clubs. The smaller one is all electric and the dues are $25/year. The 'runway' is just a rough over grown dirt road but we do have a port-a-potty on site. I heard dues will be going up to cover those costs.

The other club is a much larger, older nitro/gas club. Dues are $60/year. We have covered pits and work tables and the runway is 50x300 covered with landscape cloth. Makes a nice runway actually.

Lots of politics and drama in the nitro club though.

The biggest problem from my point of view is that the members who attend the meetings and cast all the votes, almost never fly at the field. They are mostly the oldest members who are long retired and dont much like the new fangled stuff like electrics and 3D.

The members who fly the most almost never go to the meetings. They tend to be the younger (under 50) crowd as well.

When I first started in the club I was the only all electric flyer out of a total of 2. Now probably 80% of the 'flyers' own at least one electric and there are several other all electric flyers.

The club almost banned lipos and almost banned 3D and almost made it a rule that you had to "fly the patern and only the patern" and several other silly things.

The old fogies are slowly dieing off, so it gets better each year

Be persistant but be nice, be reasonable and people will listen. As others have said - participate in club events, volunteer, run for office, etc and you will be heard.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:07 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
I belong to 2 clubs.
Why belong to TWO clubs?

The smaller one is all electric and the dues are $25/year. The 'runway' is just a rough over grown dirt road but we do have a port-a-potty on site. I heard dues will be going up to cover those costs.
I'd love to hear more about the details of this club. Do they own or rent the land? How many members do they have? Do they require AMA membership?

I'm interested in starting something similar in Tulsa...

I hear ya, buddy.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:08 AM
Relsom

Guess you had to be there. Oh, and sorry ...no Jenny here.

.....Anyway, Bill, that fly-in looks like a great time. I'll put it on my calendar. Though were not AMA. Nothing against it. Probably for the better. With our lack of skills you probably wouldn't want us in the air anywhere near all those beautiful birds on your website anyway. Spectators OK on weekdays? I've got to make runs to Chesapeake on Thursday and Friday this week.

...Chris
Old 09-10-2008, 05:18 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

That's just about the most cold hearted, no, it is the most cold hearted, thing I have ever heard anyone say on this site.

That's just downright mean.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:20 AM
Laggard
Who's got my six?

Originally Posted by Firestem4 View Post
The Casitas club about 35 miles away are incredibly huge. They cost, i think $225 annually, AMA fee's not included.
That's ridiculous. For $225 annually they better provide free beer and pretzels.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:20 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Relsom View Post
Guess you had to be there. Oh, and sorry ...no Jenny here.

.....Anyway, Bill, that fly-in looks like a great time. I'll put it on my calendar. Though were not AMA. Nothing against it. Probably for the better. With our lack of skills you probably wouldn't want us in the air anywhere near all those beautiful birds on your website anyway. Spectators OK on weekdays? I've got to make runs to Chesapeake on Thursday and Friday this week.

...Chris
Spectators are always welcome! Come on by. Weather doesn't look too promising but if you are in the area please do.

If I am not at the field just tell whoever is there you know me and they will show you around.

Spectators are welcome for the fly in as well. There is going to be a really nice raffle at it also. I know because I am running it!
Old 09-10-2008, 05:21 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
That's ridiculous. For $225 annually they better provide free beer and pretzels.
Now I agree with that! That's a lot of money!
Old 09-10-2008, 05:23 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

haha... thats too funny... sounds like something I'd say... I gotta remember that one...

SK
Old 09-10-2008, 05:25 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Somehow I'd bet they'd skimp on the pretzels...LOL
SK
Old 09-10-2008, 05:39 AM
Larry3215

That's just about the most cold hearted, no, it is the most cold hearted, thing I have ever heard anyone say on this site.

That's just downright mean.
Sorry that hit you the wrong way Bill.

While its a true statement, I intended it to be taken in a lighthearted manner.

Its actually almost a word for word quote from one of the older members of our club. He made the comment to me and several other members during our last "all electric" flyin after some glow flyers showed up and made a stink about the club being closed to glow flyers.

His actual words were along the lines of "Dont worry, the old fogies like me are slowly dieing off so you wont have to put up with this kind of [email protected]$p too much longer."

He was making a joke, the same way I intended it to be taken but its also a statement of fact.

Again, sorry I offended you.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:55 AM
Larry3215

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
Why belong to TWO clubs?

I'd love to hear more about the details of this club. Do they own or rent the land? How many members do they have? Do they require AMA membership?

I'm interested in starting something similar in Tulsa...

I hear ya, buddy.
I belong to the electric club for several reasons - they are a great bunch of guys, they hold indoor flyins during the winter, one of the fields they use is 2 minutes from my house and has a pond and the dues are stupid cheap so why not? They also have fewer rules - like I can fly by myself if I want and I can fly as low and close in as I want.

The two electric only fields are both relatively small. One is public land owned by the water company. Just a large field with an over grown road bed as the "runway". Not very big, so no large, fast models recommended and its completely surrounded by homes.

The other electric only field is actually a privately owned farm pasture with a pond and horses. It also has a very crude "runway" and no bathrooms, but its next door to me practically.

However, I have several planes that cannot be flown at either of those fields because they are too big or too fast and/or need a long, smooth runway.

Thats why I belong to the other larger mostly glow club. There we have a vary nice runway, covered pits with work tables, porta-pottys - and lots of rules.

That Electric club is also a NON AMA club. They have private insurance instead which is covered by the annual dues. The coverage is similar to but not as inclusive as AMA coverage. The insurance was required to fly on public land and a big help in getting the farmer to let us fly on his land.

Oh - the other reason I belong to both clubs - its illegal to fly in all public parks in my State unless specifically allowed. So I cant even do "park flying" unless I belong to a club of some sort.
Old 09-10-2008, 05:56 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I belong to two clubs. The dues are $5 and $10 per year respectively.

The $5 club flied at an airport about 30 miles from where I live. No real need for dues since we can't have any facilities on the airport, but we fly off the ramp. There are usually not any airplanes parked there. We also fly off the runway when we have our annual fly-in.

The $10 club flies either at my house on a grass runway in my hay meadow that I personally mow, so I will have a nice place to fly or indoors at a large local, three basketball court sized gym.

No problems with personalities at either club since most of the members belong to both clubs.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:02 AM
Larry3215

I forgot to mention - thats probably closer to the average dues around my area. The two clubs I belong to have the lowest rates of any other club that I know of. Most are in the $150 - $200 range plus an Initiation fee of some sort.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:48 AM
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
$80 and $100 respectively for two clubs in my area -- both clubs have paved runways. AMA dues are extra.

Andy -- Out of curiosity, what are you flying that requires a club? Could you just find out where the local "park pilots" fly? Part of the true joy of electric flight, is that you can fly almost anywhere!
I do have a mix of "Park Flier" size planes and .40 and up planes. My .40 and up are glow though (I know! I know!) I will be going larger electric in the future though. I want them big, just big electric is so dang expensive!
I do fly my small planes at a school yard just a block from my house, but it does get busy especially in the summer. My foam pusher F-16 is too fast for it. The club field is our own, and almost never has more than 3 or 4 people on an average day.
Now we don't have a paved runway, so take that into consideration. There is a "Paved Runway Fund" going on, but it's separate from normal club dues. It's donations and raffles and such only. We're at around $8,000 of the $3x,xxx some goal, and it doesn't look like it's gonna happen anytime soon. That's another story though, why we need $30,000 for a paved runway. Anyway.......

I was thinking today while at work about this. Let's say I use the field for an average of 75 days a year. (I don't really know what my average is, I just threw that out there) $84 a year, divided by 75 is $1.12 a day. Would I pay $1.12 each day I'm out there, to use a nice large grass field for RC airplanes only, with 2 shelters and an enclosed clubhouse and restrooms? Heck yes! Would I pay more than $1.12? Of course! And the more I'm out there, the cheaper it becomes per day.
I guess it's all in the perspective you look at it.

Last edited by vax6335; 09-10-2008 at 07:09 AM.
Old 09-10-2008, 07:58 AM
Larry3215

You might mention to the club members that there are cheaper runway alternatives than asphalt.

the landscape cloth we use cost around $175 for a 12'x300' foot roll. We used 3 rolls to make a 30'x300' runway along with a bunch of 10" long nails and some washers to stretch it tight and 'nail it down' along the seams.

It works best over a smooth, compacted base. It holds up well in sunlight - ours has been down about 5 years now. You dont get the damage to the models when you have a less than perfect landing like you do with asphalt or concrete.

The only real down side is that prop strikes will cut the cloth. We have repair parties every few months to fix those issues. A little asphalt based adhesive and some extra cloth and its back in business.
Old 09-10-2008, 02:53 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Sorry that hit you the wrong way Bill.

While its a true statement, I intended it to be taken in a lighthearted manner.

Its actually almost a word for word quote from one of the older members of our club. He made the comment to me and several other members during our last "all electric" flyin after some glow flyers showed up and made a stink about the club being closed to glow flyers.

His actual words were along the lines of "Dont worry, the old fogies like me are slowly dieing off so you wont have to put up with this kind of [email protected]$p too much longer."

He was making a joke, the same way I intended it to be taken but its also a statement of fact.

Again, sorry I offended you.
OK no problem, I see where you are coming from now then. Thanks for the response.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:49 PM
Sabrehawk

Smile

Gee I geuss im a lucky fella up here in the northwest, who has found a club that is as friendly as the field is sweet. http://www.mrrcs.org/

The club owns the property that covers 85 acres, has a 40x300ft asphalt RWY, a heated shelter, stocked fridge, BBQ, ect, ect.
Dues are $100/yr + AMA. And has approx. 165 members.
Frankly I've been enjoying this great hobby more over the last month than I have in the last 3yrs of park/schoolyard flying, and I dont mind the glow guys, and they dont seem to mind me. We all seem to respect one another, and are simply sharing our passion for flying. Thats the way it should be, for its the flying that is the one common bond we all share.
Old 09-10-2008, 03:55 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

best club out there is the Hodgehounds...

membership is tricky though. at first glance it's free, but with the hobby shop on the field, it could be thousands of dollars a year.

Quick Reply: Club Issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14136 seconds with 13 queries