General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Club Issues

Old 09-10-2008, 03:59 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
best club out there is the Hodgehounds...

membership is tricky though. at first glance it's free, but with the hobby shop on the field, it could be thousands of dollars a year.
If only we could all be so fortunate as to live by Hodges...

Saber our club sounds just like yours short of the stocked fridge and heated shelter! How cool is that!?
Old 09-10-2008, 04:01 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

no kidding, I hate those guys!

I haven't been up there since SEFF
Old 09-10-2008, 04:03 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
no kidding, I hate those guys!

I haven't been up there since SEFF
Me either! You are a lot closer than me though...
Old 09-10-2008, 04:05 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

yup, going up this month maybe.

definitely passing through in October
Old 09-10-2008, 04:15 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Cool, fly one for me while you're there.

Are you going the Setember fly in? That was our first trip to Hodges back in 06
Old 09-10-2008, 04:31 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

it's not looking good, work is getting in the way.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:12 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

That's too bad... Well get up there whenever you can.
Old 09-10-2008, 06:39 PM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Originally Posted by Sabrehawk View Post
Gee I geuss im a lucky fella up here in the northwest, who has found a club that is as friendly as the field is sweet. http://www.mrrcs.org/

The club owns the property that covers 85 acres, has a 40x300ft asphalt RWY, a heated shelter, stocked fridge, BBQ, ect, ect.
Dues are $100/yr + AMA. And has approx. 165 members.
Frankly I've been enjoying this great hobby more over the last month than I have in the last 3yrs of park/schoolyard flying, and I dont mind the glow guys, and they dont seem to mind me. We all seem to respect one another, and are simply sharing our passion for flying. Thats the way it should be, for its the flying that is the one common bond we all share.
I have been meaning to get out to your guys field to check it out for several years now, but never have made it.

The closest Ive gotten was the Float Fly last year at Lake Tanwax. Im going to try to make it to this years float fly if the weather looks half decent. Its a great place to float fly!

There was a rumor going around a few months ago that you guys were having neighbor problems and might loose the field. Did that get straightend out or was it just rumor?

The RAMS in Auburn are loosing their field for that reason - neighbors that cant handle the noise/crashes/over flights. They dont own the land, so they are in a much weaker position.

Our club is on Park property. I think we are at risk as well.. There was a move to have a fund to buy our own land, but that got canceled by the old fogies. Now there are BMX and horse people wanting to "share" our space. I think our days are numbered.
Old 09-11-2008, 12:41 AM
Laggard
Who's got my six?

It may be a difficult questions to answer, but what do you reckon the average age of your club members is? During the brief period I was involved in a club 20 years ago or so, it had to have been 55.

Do you find most of the slimers tend to be older?
Old 09-11-2008, 04:17 AM
Larry3215

Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
It may be a difficult questions to answer, but what do you reckon the average age of your club members is? During the brief period I was involved in a club 20 years ago or so, it had to have been 55.

Do you find most of the slimers tend to be older?
Thats probably not far off
Old 09-11-2008, 05:50 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

I wonder what the mean age of your typical electric RC enthusiast/parkflyer is? I'm 32--does that make me above or below the average WattFlyer age?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:17 AM
Larry3215

I think there was a thread on here somewhere where members listed thier ages....
Old 09-11-2008, 07:52 AM
HEMICUDA

My "local" club dues are $35 a year and $35 one time intitiation fee.
I say "local" because it the nearest one in 50 miles. When I'd call my
instructor to see if he could fly he'd be like "sure, I'll see ya in 10 or 15 minutes" it takes me an hour to get there. Some of your fees are a
bargain and some are right where they should be, but some ($225) are
outrageous... but that's California for ya!
Old 09-11-2008, 09:17 AM
Larry3215

Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post
I wonder what the mean age of your typical electric RC enthusiast/parkflyer is? I'm 32--does that make me above or below the average WattFlyer age?
Found this poll from a while back - we are mostly old fogies!

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...&highlight=age
Old 09-11-2008, 03:35 PM
Sabrehawk

Smile

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
I have been meaning to get out to your guys field to check it out for several years now, but never have made it.

The closest Ive gotten was the Float Fly last year at Lake Tanwax. Im going to try to make it to this years float fly if the weather looks half decent. Its a great place to float fly!

There was a rumor going around a few months ago that you guys were having neighbor problems and might loose the field. Did that get straightend out or was it just rumor?

The RAMS in Auburn are loosing their field for that reason - neighbors that cant handle the noise/crashes/over flights. They dont own the land, so they are in a much weaker position.

Our club is on Park property. I think we are at risk as well.. There was a move to have a fund to buy our own land, but that got canceled by the old fogies. Now there are BMX and horse people wanting to "share" our space. I think our days are numbered.
I dont know Larry, I havent heard anything on that yet. I plan to attend this month's meeting so I'll ask around and see if there have been any issues.
I dont see how we could lose it, as the club owns this property. But I suppose there are some homes and ranches around that could rasie a bit of stink about noise, and well I guess I can understand if they do, I mean hey they probably figure that they live way out here in the boonies to escape the noise of the city and feel that the engines are negating that.
But then thats why we are out here too, as this kind of niose wouldnt last long in town.
So its kinda touchy from both sides.

Bt as I said I havent heard any thing on this but will find out some at the meeting.
Yeah come on down, I always love meeting other flyers and thats one reason I joined, to fellowship with many others in our great hobby and to have a fantastic place like this to fly at without soccer players and parkgoers ruining my day. And I feel a lot more safe flying were a controlled airspace and groundspace is maintained.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:45 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Found this poll from a while back - we are mostly old fogies!

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/show...&highlight=age
Very interesting. However, I'd suspect that the poll was created by a "youngster", since "46 years old" was the HIGH END of the scale...

Who else would say that 46 is OLD? I know LOTS of guys who are MUCH older than 46, who still fly...

My point is, maybe that poll was too limiting... Perhaps another poll should be started with age ranges above 46 years old (maybe even all the way up to 100 years old, just to be sure)...

The old fogies are slowly dieing off, so it gets better each year
That being said, this is truly something to consider. It's not "mean" -- it's reality (especially in the eyes of a younger generation). Time catches up with everyone!
Old 09-11-2008, 04:00 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Here is a better poll, amazing what a little search will turn up...

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=18123

You even voted in that one LL...
Old 09-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Yeah -- I knew I voted in one at some point...

So, looking at the data, there's a bell curve -- the peak is between 35 and 49, with another little peak at 60 to 64 (retirement age?)...

LOL -- so, what is the cutoff point for the definition of an "old fogie"? (My personal belief is that age has nothing to do with it -- "old fogie" is an attitude!)
Old 09-11-2008, 06:13 PM
Larry3215

Originally Posted by Lieutenant Loughead View Post
Yeah -- I knew I voted in one at some point...

So, looking at the data, there's a bell curve -- the peak is between 35 and 49, with another little peak at 60 to 64 (retirement age?)...

LOL -- so, what is the cutoff point for the definition of an "old fogie"? (My personal belief is that age has nothing to do with it -- "old fogie" is an attitude!)
LOL I think you're right about that! Somedays I feel like the old fogie - especially when Im arguing with one of my daughters!

Thats the poll I was thinking about Bill. Thanks for finding it!
Old 09-11-2008, 06:50 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

LOL I think you're right about that! Somedays I feel like the old fogie - especially when Im arguing with one of my daughters!

Thats the poll I was thinking about Bill. Thanks for finding it!
No problem Larry, glad to help out.
Old 01-02-2009, 06:30 PM
dmarko

Originally Posted by vax6335 View Post
Got a few questions for you guys in clubs. How much are you paying for yearly dues? I've got quite a story, I'll try to keep it short.

In my opinion, my club is one of the largest clubs in northern Indiana, and we may have one of the best sites. However, there is so much drama, that it just isn't enjoyable to attend meetings anymore. Most of the club wants a paved runway, but then there's the few that are dead set against it and do anything to keep it from happening. (That's a whole other story)

One of my biggest gripes, is the way the Club Board handles money. Every year we end up with excess funds, even for being a non-profit organization. The yearly budget is never re-written with the future of the club in mind, and this was the subject of recent drama at a meeting a few months ago. In the end, nothing was decided to be done about it. It was kind of 'back burnered'. This brings me to my current conflict.
The last time I checked, we were one of the most expensive clubs in the state. $60 a year for dues, on top of AMA dues. Now at October's meeting the board wants everyone to vote on a dues increase to $84 per year! They say the rate increase is because no one wants to mow, so they have to pay for it. Now I'm sure it could be paid for without a rate increase, since we always have excess money every year, and the club never spends it on anything.

If the new rate gets voted in, I was going to not renew next year, and join the next closest club (45 min drive instead of 20). But I got to thinking. I know if I bring up these thoughts and issues at a meeting no one takes me seriously, since I'm one of the youngest members. (I'm 25 years old, this club is full of old folks) However, someday I'd like to run for club president, and get things run the way they should be, so if the new rate does get passed, I may have to suck it up and pay.

What are your club's dues? Should I be complaining about $84 annual dues? Thoughts?
This might be a little late..

NAPLES, FLORIDA
COLLIER MODEL AERONATIC CLUB
http://cmac1.org/

Annual Dues ($200 / $100 initiation FEE)
http://cmac1.org/cmac%20application.html

Regardless of eletcric/nitro, nitro only, electric only...

The reason I am staying away!
Dave in Naples

BTW...
No paved runway.... No indoor facility.....Field underwater part of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's practically in the Everglades. LOL!
Old 01-02-2009, 07:54 PM
theKM

...well, for perspective, the insurance down in Australia got dumped and they were forced into a massive hike to get a new insurer. The result is that my father is having to pay $189 per year for insurance (MAAA) and club dues ($254 for the first year).

...though that Florida club sounds horrible
Old 01-02-2009, 08:53 PM
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

Oh, and for an update, the dues raise got voted down. The majority present voted FOR the dues raise. However in our club constitution, it states that at least 2/3's of the membership (or something like that) must be present for the vote to count, and that wasn't the case, so it got dropped.
$60 a year again for 2009. After hearing some of the outrageous dues that some of you guys have, I guess it really isn't that bad, runway or no runway.
Old 01-02-2009, 08:57 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

No Andy, $60 isn't bad at all.

Our problem is that $50 of ours is for the city permit. If it weren't for that, ours would only be $55 a year.

The good thing for me is that my Son's dues are only $1. So for both of us it's only $106 total.
Old 01-02-2009, 10:52 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Our club dues are $40/year. We are quite lucky in that respect.

Quick Reply: Club Issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14848 seconds with 13 queries