General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Club Issues

Old 01-02-2009, 10:59 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by gfdengine204 View Post
Our club dues are $40/year. We are quite lucky in that respect.
Yes you are!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:04 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I belong to two clubs and my dues are a total of $15 for both clubs. One flies on an airport near here and we can't make any improvements there and the other one flies indoors at the Boys and Girls Gym and outdoors on my runway.

Eat your heart out.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:05 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
I belong to two clubs and my dues are a total of $15 for both clubs. One flies on an airport near here and we can't make any improvements there and the other one flies indoors at the Boys and Girls Gym and outdoors on my runway.

Eat your heart out.
pfffffffffffffffffffffffffttttt!
Old 01-02-2009, 11:12 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post

Eat your heart out.
Show off......
Old 01-02-2009, 11:44 PM
Don Sims
Administrator

I've been thinking about collecting dues from the guys I fly with out at the sod farm. $50 from each of them sounds good to me, that way they could feel a part of something instead of a bunch of renegades.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:49 PM
gfdengine204
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
I've been thinking about collecting dues from the guys I fly with out at the sod farm. $50 from each of them sounds good to me, that way they could feel a part of something instead of a bunch of renegades.
Sounds like the start of a small club Don. I vote for you as president.
Old 01-02-2009, 11:53 PM
dmarko

Originally Posted by theKM View Post
...well, for perspective, the insurance down in Australia got dumped and they were forced into a massive hike to get a new insurer. The result is that my father is having to pay $189 per year for insurance (MAAA) and club dues ($254 for the first year).

...though that Florida club sounds horrible
BTW...
No paved runway....
No indoor facility.....
Field underwater part of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
It's practically in the Everglades. LOL!
Old 01-03-2009, 12:01 AM
dmarko

RE: OVERPRICED / LOW VALUE Flying Clubs

Who hear thinks the reason why some of these clubs have EXCESSIVE MEMBERSHIP is to discourage any new members coming and "invading" their little private paradise ?

I CANNOT for the life of me understand why the leadership would not entertain more REVENUE from a "Park Pilot Program" with Park Pilot (e-flight) pricing strutures.??

And furthermore... This SPECIFIC club has a 2nd Field (old field) which is now JUST FOR ELECTRIC FLYERS . But they still want $200 Annual and $100 Initiation fee.

CRAZy!!
Old 01-03-2009, 12:04 AM
dmarko

Maybe I am crazy??

http://cmac1.org/

Please look at the pictures of this field.

Would you pay $200 a year + $100 to join?
Thanks
Dave
Old 01-03-2009, 12:07 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Default Mullet Marouders RC club

My little club of 8-12 members cost 400.$-500. a year, I have to do all the maintenance, clean-up , Transport,(Even occasionally wipe a runny nose) I'm the only one who pays "dues" ,Bub, steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 8818.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	272.0 KB
ID:	88829   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 382.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	309.1 KB
ID:	88830   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 501.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	88831   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 616.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	280.2 KB
ID:	88832  
Old 01-03-2009, 12:09 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by stevecooper View Post
My little club of 8-12 members cost 400.$-500. a year, I have to do all the maintenance, clean-up , Transport,(Even occasionally wipe a runny nose) I'm the only one who pays "dues" ,Bub, steve
LOL Steve! I always like to see your take on things.

You are a great example for those kids! You got a great thing going there Bub!
Old 01-03-2009, 12:10 AM
dmarko

Steve (Bub)
I like it!

It is the younger generation that has the best ideas and not stuck in the past.

Good seeing your pictures.
My Bub...
Dave
Old 01-03-2009, 12:17 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Thanks ,,It's cheap if you figure the fun they bring into my life! bub, steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 707.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	140.0 KB
ID:	88833   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 619.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	76.2 KB
ID:	88834   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 8820.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	163.1 KB
ID:	88835  
Old 01-03-2009, 12:20 AM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

The nearest club to me is the York County Flyers ($60/Yr. no initiation fee); it's a 40 minute drive. The next closest is a club just east of Columbia, a 60 minute drive. I don't know the name or fees for that one at the moment. Both have fields smaller than the one which I presently use for free, is twice as large as YCF's and only 7 minutes from home.

I can actually save on gas and my bike there (My plane and gear in the trailer) in under twenty minutes!

I do have a question/suggestion concernin TO/landing strips. You know that close cut grass that golf courses use for the "greens" (the areas immediately around the hole)? Would that be smooth enough to allow a wheeled plane to take off and land? It's certainly be soft enough for belly landers. This seems to me the perfect compromise.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:28 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

you guys are making me jealous. my club is $200 year plus ama, sadly i cant afford it this year so i'll be sticking to the parks.

this is what our field looks like
Old 01-03-2009, 12:29 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Thanks ,,It's cheap if you figure the fun they bring into my life! bub, steve

Cheap??? No Steve, It's priceless!

Just like all the times I spend with my boy flying, priceless.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:33 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
I do have a question/suggestion concernin TO/landing strips. You know that close cut grass that golf courses use for the "greens" (the areas immediately around the hole)? Would that be smooth enough to allow a wheeled plane to take off and land? It's certainly be soft enough for belly landers. This seems to me the perfect compromise.

Yes. When we go to SEFF where the grass is like a putting green most planes have no problem taking off and landing in the grass there.
Old 01-03-2009, 12:43 AM
dmarko

Originally Posted by Yaniel View Post
you guys are making me jealous. my club is $200 year plus ama, sadly i cant afford it this year so i'll be sticking to the parks.

Hey Yaniel (fellow Floridian)...

At least you guys have a paved runway for $200.
I don't get why everyone is claiming to have to raise their fees in a BUSTED ECONOMY.
Can't be the land
Can't be lack of members?
-local hobby store is hopping with new perspective recruits.

After the hobby shop bangs em' for hundreds of bucks, it is no wonder they don't want to shell out another $300 to fly in Florida swamp land.

I think this debate is coming to an end for me too.
I think I will stick with what is FREE FREE FREE FREE,
Old 01-03-2009, 12:55 AM
darylm44

Originally Posted by dmarko View Post
Maybe I am crazy??

Thanks
Dave
Heck yes I would pay more than that for a permanent field like that

Our club has 3 fields, one with a 1 year lease, one is on property that is for sale with a 30 day vacate provision, and a new one that is on a capped landfill that is managed by the borough (county) parks. Needless to say our strips are gravel, silt, and weeds. I can't imagine what it is like to fly off smooth grass or asphalt. The new one has potential to be developed but it is the least desirable to fly on due to the sloping runway and smaller area.

If we could acquire a decent piece of land and make some permanent improvements I would be happy to pay $200+ per year just to know that I have a place to fly. I live in the next borough which has just passed a noise ordinance that is so restrictive the other club here has lost their field and is unable to find another because any violations are charged to the landowner.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:08 AM
dmarko

Originally Posted by darylm44 View Post
Heck yes I would pay more than that for a permanent field like that

Our club has 3 fields, one with a 1 year lease, one is on property that is for sale with a 30 day vacate provision, and a new one that is on a capped landfill that is managed by the borough (county) parks. Needless to say our strips are gravel, silt, and weeds. I can't imagine what it is like to fly off smooth grass or asphalt. The new one has potential to be developed but it is the least desirable to fly on due to the sloping runway and smaller area.

If we could acquire a decent piece of land and make some permanent improvements I would be happy to pay $200+ per year just to know that I have a place to fly. I live in the next borough which has just passed a noise ordinance that is so restrictive the other club here has lost their field and is unable to find another because any violations are charged to the landowner.
All this in Wasilla Alaska?

Are you flying electric and gas? Or just one or the other?

My argument was over high fees to pay for electric only.

$358+ year for me to fly maybe 1x or 2x per week.
In this busted economy, I don't know too many working stiffs (flying electrics only) that would pay it.

When you weigh the options:
$358 for a new plane or electronics + free flying at many open spaces

vs.

$200 year + $100 startup fee + $58 AMA = $358 = NO extra planes for me ...

All of this of course from a hard working family man with other obligations than RC planes with a limited annual budget just looking to share in the E-Flight experience with a few other enthuiasists.

It about wraps up the argument for me in terms of joining any of my local clubs.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:55 AM
Figure.N9ne
Super Contributor

to me electric or gas makes no difference. its about size. you can have glow planes under 30 inch wing span that will fly fine in a park and you can have 100" electric planes that have no place in a park.
Old 01-03-2009, 01:56 AM
Biplane Murphy
2 Wings, Twice The Fun

My Current club, "The Tumbleweed Flats Flyers" has 1 member (Me)...LOL
No Dues, and a sandy runway...hehehhehee
It is my sideyard and backyard...
Electrics only.

My old club was $50 per year.
The local club is $100 per year with 600 foot runway....I need to join still, so I can fly my Slimers again.
Old 01-03-2009, 02:00 AM
Lieutenant Loughead
UNCLUB OWNER

Originally Posted by dmarko View Post
Maybe I am crazy??

Thanks
Dave
Hey Dave. It's difficult to get a good "feel" for the club from the pictures and video on the web site. Do you have an aerial photo you can show us? Maybe you could direct us to a Google Earth image?

Honestly, I'm too cheap to join my local $100 clubs -- so I'd have a really difficult time paying $200 for ANY club (no matter how nice it is). :o

Originally Posted by Yaniel View Post

Man! That's REALLY nice!
Old 01-03-2009, 02:54 AM
BradT
Scale Nut Loves Biplanes!

Burnaby Lake Flyers, in Burnaby (where else would it be?), B.C., has a fee of $45/yr + $75 for MAAC coverage. Of the $45, $20 per member goes to the City, $20 to the club, and the $5 is Fed. & Prov. taxes, would you believe??!! The City maintains the grass, since it's also used as playing fields during the Summer, so our expenses are low, but we're trying to build a kitty, in case we do have to move to leased land in the future. Our only allowed improvement is a freq. board attached to the playing field, with a wind ribbon flying from the top. This past year, we did convince the Parks Dept. to make the entry area wheelchair accessable, as we have had several handicapped pilots in the past, who were put off by the curb at the edge of the parking lot, and the often soggy grass area of our pits (the strip of grass between the fence, and the actual playing field/runway) . The City went all out on this, removing the curb, designating 2 large parking spots at the gate as "Handicapped Only", and putting about 500 sq.ft. of artificial turf in the pit area, at a cost of about $100/sq.ft.! Didn't cost us a dime, so you can't beat that. The downside of our site is that there is a cricket pitch right at the end of our runway area, so from the end of June till Labour Day, we lose most of the day on Sat. and Sun. (no flying 11AM to 6PM) so that we don't overfly the players. We do get all day Mon., wed., and Fri., year round, and full weekends from Labour Day to the end of June. Not too bad a trade off.
Old 01-03-2009, 04:13 AM
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

Default Here's an idea I had

I know some of you don't like the AMA, and it doesn't help you guys overseas, but maybe we could lobby the AMA to put a cap on charted club dues. If clubs are affordable to join, then obviously the payoff would be that more members could join and therefore join the AMA as well.
I know clubs have expenses, but come on, I'm sure things could be better budgeted in most clubs.

Quick Reply: Club Issues

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright İ 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.14521 seconds with 18 queries