General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Club Issues

Old 01-06-2009, 04:55 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Oh I'm sure, in the grand scheme of things 20k isn't that much anymore I guess huh?
Old 01-06-2009, 06:03 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
$20K could go pretty fast if you were forced to move to a new spot and had to put in a new runway and pits facilities, other up-front fees etc.

Thats a good question on the interest! We are a non profit club but I have no idea how that works. I'll bring it up at the next meeting.
If it is a non-profit club I wouldn't think anyone would have to pay taxes etc. on that amount.
Old 01-06-2009, 02:53 PM
flashburn

$20.000.00 is really nothing, get a price on 175x35 paved or a mid size 16x14 building or call your local garden centre get the price on a dedicated ride on grass cutter. Keep in mind we operate 2 locations.
Yes we are a non profit group and the initation fee started when we paved the original runway @ that time all club members kicked in $75.00 each min. some donated much more in materials and work/machinery. Gravel from members quarry, heavy equipment brought in on another members float, inital survey and permit drawings done by member, all fencing donated and installed by another members co. Meetings with our city parks dept and local alderman (me) during normal work hrs.
Every club needs a rainy day fund
Old 01-06-2009, 04:20 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
$20.000.00 is really nothing, get a price on 175x35 paved or a mid size 16x14 building or call your local garden centre get the price on a dedicated ride on grass cutter. Keep in mind we operate 2 locations.
Yes we are a non profit group and the initation fee started when we paved the original runway @ that time all club members kicked in $75.00 each min. some donated much more in materials and work/machinery. Gravel from members quarry, heavy equipment brought in on another members float, inital survey and permit drawings done by member, all fencing donated and installed by another members co. Meetings with our city parks dept and local alderman (me) during normal work hrs.
Every club needs a rainy day fund
Oh I know! Our club's paved runway is 400'x50'. Like I said, I wasn't knocking, just curious.
Old 01-06-2009, 06:29 PM
mrfu

Never posted before but do know some things about non-profits.
Interest earned by a non profit would be reported on the annual filing you send to the IRS it is not taxed.
The original poster mentioned that his club had a surplus at the end of the year and was a non profit. Being a non profit doesn't mean you can't have a surplus at the end of the year in fact as others have said you should have a reserve account for unforeseen expenses. A non profit can make money but the IRS has rules on how a non profits money is used, if it is used for club expenses you have no problem, if you paint the club presidents house that's another thing, Although the chances of problems for small clubs from the feds is probably pretty small.
Tom
Old 01-06-2009, 08:39 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Good info, mrfu! I hope this excellent first post is not your last. Feel free to post lots more informative messages like this here in the future.
Old 01-06-2009, 09:39 PM
flashburn

Forgot to mention, Canadian EH so our tax laws differ and we are incorporated also to protect the club ex. from lawsuits (under Canadian law you cannot directly sue the directors just the corp. (insurance co.)
Old 01-06-2009, 10:29 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by flashburn View Post
Forgot to mention, Canadian EH so our tax laws differ and we are incorporated also to protect the club ex. from lawsuits (under Canadian law you cannot directly sue the directors just the corp. (insurance co.)

We have that here in Virginia as well. My car club is incorporated under this law. Not sure about our RC club, I'll have to ask.
Old 01-09-2009, 01:24 AM
pstrdenver

Originally Posted by vax6335 View Post
Got a few questions for you guys in clubs. How much are you paying for yearly dues? I've got quite a story, I'll try to keep it short.

In my opinion, my club is one of the largest clubs in northern Indiana, and we may have one of the best sites. However, there is so much drama, that it just isn't enjoyable to attend meetings anymore. Most of the club wants a paved runway, but then there's the few that are dead set against it and do anything to keep it from happening. (That's a whole other story)

One of my biggest gripes, is the way the Club Board handles money. Every year we end up with excess funds, even for being a non-profit organization. The yearly budget is never re-written with the future of the club in mind, and this was the subject of recent drama at a meeting a few months ago. In the end, nothing was decided to be done about it. It was kind of 'back burnered'. This brings me to my current conflict.
The last time I checked, we were one of the most expensive clubs in the state. $60 a year for dues, on top of AMA dues. Now at October's meeting the board wants everyone to vote on a dues increase to $84 per year! They say the rate increase is because no one wants to mow, so they have to pay for it. Now I'm sure it could be paid for without a rate increase, since we always have excess money every year, and the club never spends it on anything.

If the new rate gets voted in, I was going to not renew next year, and join the next closest club (45 min drive instead of 20). But I got to thinking. I know if I bring up these thoughts and issues at a meeting no one takes me seriously, since I'm one of the youngest members. (I'm 25 years old, this club is full of old folks) However, someday I'd like to run for club president, and get things run the way they should be, so if the new rate does get passed, I may have to suck it up and pay.

What are your club's dues? Should I be complaining about $84 annual dues? Thoughts?
I have two clubs near me. (south bend, IN and Elkhart, IN) One is $120 and you have to take turns mowing or you get kicked out.