General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Maiden of the Rambler - Gas-to-Electric Conversion

Old 09-23-2008, 07:15 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Default Maiden of the Rambler - Gas-to-Electric Conversion

Well, I finally got my chance to maiden the Rambler gas-electric conversion that I've been working on for a while, and MAN what an awesome flying bird it turned out to be. And by FAR my favorite part about this plane is the way it sounds in flight--AWESOME.

Here's the video of the initial flight. I apologize for the fixed camera angle, but I didn't want my wife and little girl to be out in the field with me, just in case something went wrong while flying the plane. (Plus, it also worked out good for getting some good speed runs to doppler):

[media]http://www.vimeo.com/1791692[/media]

Here's the configuration I went with, and my costs:
  • I bought the Rambler used off craigslist for $50 with all servos, a receiver battery pack, and a Hi-tec dual-conversion receiver.
  • I wanted to fly with a 6S lipo pack, so I assembled a 6S 4400mah pack using 4 ABF 20C 2200mah 3S lipo packs from HobbyCity for $20 each.
  • For the motor, I went with a Turnigy 50-55 600kv from HobbyCity for $43
  • I picked up a Flying 70A ESC from DealExtreme.com for $24 shipped. (That ESC doesn't have a built-in BEC, but since the plane came with a receiver pack, it wasn't an issue.)
And that was it--for about $200, I have an absolutely fantastic flying plane. Now, so long as I don't get cocky and crater it before I get my money's worth out of her, I'll be one happy camper.

Last edited by gzsfrk; 09-23-2008 at 08:10 AM.
Old 09-23-2008, 08:39 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi, Nice plane, try a 12x9 APC prop on it cut down to a 11x9 or 10.5 X 9 and go for the 125MPH Award , Just My 2 cents worth, Take Care, Chellie
Old 09-23-2008, 08:43 AM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
Hi, Nice plane, try a 12x9 APC prop on it cut down to a 11x9 or 10.5 X 9 and go for the 125MPH Award , Just My 2 cents worth, Take Care, Chellie
Thanks, CHELLIE! I actually have a 12x9 APC that I ordered with this motor. But the shaft hole in the APC prop is too small for me to even get the smallest part of my prop reamer started into so that I can make it big enough to fit on the 50-55's shaft. I guess I need to find a smaller reamer and start with that one.

Once I do, I'll probably try out your suggestion about cutting it down and seeing if I can get a bit more speed out of her and earn another badge.
Old 09-23-2008, 09:48 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by gzsfrk View Post
Thanks, CHELLIE! I actually have a 12x9 APC that I ordered with this motor. But the shaft hole in the APC prop is too small for me to even get the smallest part of my prop reamer started into so that I can make it big enough to fit on the 50-55's shaft. I guess I need to find a smaller reamer and start with that one.

Once I do, I'll probably try out your suggestion about cutting it down and seeing if I can get a bit more speed out of her and earn another badge.
your hobby shop should have a prop reamer, if not, order one on line, Take care, Chellie

Also, I use a little thin CA, and kicker to glue the adapter in the prop, before reaming it, so it does not spin on me. also, make your own CA kicker, 1 tablespoon Baking soda to 1 ounce of water, shake well, and spray on, works great and no fumes, try it.

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/237950.asp

Old 09-23-2008, 03:47 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

your hobby shop should have a prop reamer, if not, order one on line, Take care, Chellie

http://www.hobbypeople.net/gallery/237950.asp

Yeah, I have a larger reamer already (5mm to 10mm), but I need to pick up a smaller one to auger out my props with smaller diameter shaft holes.

Also, I use a little thin CA, and kicker to glue the adapter in the prop, before reaming it, so it does not spin on me. also, make your own CA kicker, 1 tablespoon Baking soda to 1 ounce of water, shake well, and spray on, works great and no fumes, try it.
My goodness, you're just brimming over with helpful information, aren't you? I had no idea you could make kicker that way. So you just mix it up then place the concotion into an atomizing sprayer and then apply to your CA?
Old 09-24-2008, 05:18 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Hi Gzsfrk Yes just put it in a small spray bottle, shake the bottle before using, it works great, I learned here on Wattflyers that water acts as a kicker, and so does baking soda, Soooo I mixed them both together, sprayed it on some CA, and it works just as good if not better than the store bought stuff, and No fumes, pass on the info, Take care, Chellie
Old 09-24-2008, 12:51 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Lightbulb Photos Please

Howdy gzsfrk,
How about some photos of your conversion please. That Vemeo player thing & my old computer running windoze 98 just doesn't do it. The video & sound skips so bad that I've got to where I don't even attempt to watch anything on Vemeo anymore. One of these days I'll break down and get a newer computer as this one has done it's job of teaching us how to use one. Didn't want to spend a bundle right off the git go only to determine I couldn't operate one so we bought a older refurbished Dell almost 5 yrs. ago and it's still going as you can see
The homemade kicker like the wonderful, informative, talented Chellie is telling you about works great, just be sure to wipe up the over spray especially on covered & painted areas or you'll get a white residue that can be tough to remove.

Standing By,
SJ
Old 09-24-2008, 04:53 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Slowjohn View Post
How about some photos of your conversion please.
Sure!

Here's some pictures of the plane as I first bought it, sans gas motor:

Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7769.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	85.6 KB
ID:	79083Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7771.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	79084Click image for larger version

Name:	100_7772.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	79085

And here's a picture inside the nose after I installed the Turnigy 50-55 600 motor:

Name:	100_8456.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	71.0 KB
ID:	79087

Here's a couple pictures of the Rambler ready to hit the skies:

Name:	100_8399.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	157.3 KB
ID:	79086Click image for larger version

Name:	100_8402.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	79082

And finally, here's an in-flight shot my lovely wife took for me:

Name:	100_8410.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	62.8 KB
ID:	79088

Hope that covers it.
Old 09-24-2008, 07:59 PM
Slowjohn
Passed on

Thanks gzsfrk,
Those photos covered it real nice.
Nice conversion too. Hope you enjoy it for a long time.

Standing By,
SJ