Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

StarCad's Scratchbuild Contest 2 Entry #1

Old 09-29-2008, 05:32 AM
starcad
Model Designer

Default StarCad's Scratchbuild Contest 2 Entry #1

OK, so here goes. I've always wanted to do this plane. I like flying profile designs as they offer a fast, easy build. This one will be balsa and of course electric. I'm going to follow suit on an earlier design back in 1997 of the Cherokee 140, only lighter and smaller. I'm planing on a 2808 and 3s2100 pks for power. Span is 40" and the length is around 34". If it flies I'll present the plans in DXF, DWG, and PDF format. Still a lot to work out and this was about 3 hours drafting. Not sure if I want to keep working it in Drawing Board or port it over to AutoCad but it's time to start thinking where I what to finish this in. Anyway, here is start.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	BC1.gif
Views:	264
Size:	19.0 KB
ID:	79496  
Old 10-01-2008, 09:48 PM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

Glad to have you building, Star.

Is your build going to be the Forked Tail Doctor Killer?
Old 10-03-2008, 06:17 AM
starcad
Model Designer

Originally Posted by Rabbitcreekok View Post
Glad to have you building, Star.

Is your build going to be the Forked Tail Doctor Killer?
You got it Jim. If I can work out the details in CAD. I plan on making a mock up in fan fold this weekend to check the CG and work out that tail placement. It's actually coming along really good and I should have a good sketch up worked out by Sunday and start the building Next week.
Old 10-04-2008, 03:50 AM
Rabbitcreekok
Community Moderator

I am looking forward to seeing your progress. A V tail is not the easiest thing to build.
Old 10-04-2008, 04:18 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

Whoo!!! pretty neat great choice!
good luck on the build!
Old 10-08-2008, 05:59 AM
starcad
Model Designer

Not much to report tonight. I took my grand daughter to her Karate lesson and time just went by. I find it funny how in my younger years with two kids to raise how much more time I had back then compared to now. One young one takes so much more time than two did 25 years ago. Back then I was running a software business and working full time. I still had time to build and fly models. Now I work full time but have little time for models. I also find it funny that after raising two kids that I now find myself having to go to Parenting Classes twice a week to learn how to raise a 6 year old.

I should be able later this week to get some images on the forum and also some data on the design. I can tell you that the Fan Fold concept cut out really looks neat, even for a FFF profile. I still have to work out the nose gear steering along with the killer V-Tail but I believe with the cut out I should be able to solve and over come those problems.
Old 10-13-2008, 05:33 AM
starcad
Model Designer

Ugh! Well, now that I've re-drawn the wing 4 times now, I believe I have it finished as far as the concept stage goes. I love drawing in CAD, but sometimes short cuts can get you in trouble. When laying out the wing I was using the array command and didn't bother to check it when I set the number of offsets nor the distance. Couldn't figure out why things didn't quit line up. So, I did a quick print and started looking at the design. Calipers really help and I don't know where I'd be without them. Anyway the final version for the concept is printed and all I need to do is tape it together to form the plan. I purchased the wood today, brought it home and weighted it. 9 5/8 oz. So some of that will come out and looks like I may hit my target weight of between 32 and 34 ounces. Just depends on the fuselage and the weight of the radio and motor. I plan on using an E-Flite 480 with a TURNIGY Plush 25amp Speed Control
along with a 2100 lipo pack. I still have to design in the battery bay and figure out how to hold the hatch in place. Rare earth magnates are coming to mind if I can figure out the hatch design. Here's an image to the final concept wing.

Name:	BCWING.gif
Views:	166
Size:	5.2 KB
ID:	80561  
Old 10-13-2008, 06:06 PM
starcad
Model Designer

I was hoping to have the wing started yesterday, however due to several set backs in drafting I decided to work out the design in CAD a little more last night. Glad I did as there were several errors that crept into the drawing. I've finished most of the drawing now and have most of it detailed. I have o go buy a new belt - disk sander today as my old Delta gave it up and flew south. Hopefully I should be able to start construction later this evening.

Name:	BC1A.gif
Views:	193
Size:	40.4 KB
ID:	80573  
Old 10-21-2008, 04:15 PM
pburt1975
Hotel California

Hey starcad, nice work on the drawings. Do you mind me asking, how you come up with the air foil shape? I've got a set or 2 of dwg files on here, zipped up, pretty basic stuff but its fun.

looking forward to seeing this one all wrapped up man. Oh, also when I do the basic design on the wing or any part, I only draw 1 side of it, then mirror that for an identical match. otherwise I'd never get close, lol..
Old 10-24-2008, 05:10 PM
starcad
Model Designer

So, I take my fall vacation and I've had the last seven days off, yeah. I thought I'd be a lot farther ahead, But. After building the right half of the wing starting at 5:00am the other morning, it became apparent that 1.) I need at least 2 cups of coffee before starting a project. 2.) the design wouldn't work the way it was designed. So, I've spent the last several evenings redesigning the wing to better accommodate that center dihedral brace.

Unfortunately my day time activities have me doing all those little honey-do things around the house so building time is at a premium this week. BTY, if you ever have to change out the springs on an Oven Door - DON'T, just buy a new Oven. After two hours I finally figured out how to get to them. And watch out where you put your fingers when you reinstall the blame thing. I think I'm going to loose a finger nail as it's blue. Next it was on to the leaking water pipe. That one only took a couple of hours, however running around picking up all the fixtures needed took another 2 hours. Today my wife wants me to replace the kitchen fixture and I'm thinking about why I even took my fall vacation in the first place. I'd have been better off working as I wound'nt have this throbbing finger that's turning blue under the nail.

Aside from all that I should be back on trace tonight and hopefully have my wing completed by the end weekend.

On to the new facet in the kitchen.......
Old 10-26-2008, 02:11 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Hey there Star, is this a build thread or a HoneyDo Repair thread?
Just kidding man.
Good luck with the repair.....uh i mean Build.
Crash
Old 10-26-2008, 04:01 PM
starcad
Model Designer

Back on target. I finished cutting out the new ribs last night and will assemble the new wing today. Almost had to mortgage the house to buy the balsa at the LHS this last week. Man has the price of this wood gone up. I'll get some images later today as I progress and post tonight. This wing design really looks promising and should work better than the other concept.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:26 AM
starcad
Model Designer

OK, finally worked out the wing. The first image is a whole shot, note that the wing hasn't been joined as of yet. The second image is the center section and that dihedral brace that was giving me problems on the first design. I'll finish as much as possible before joining, probably to the point of having them covered with the base color. I still have to add the leading edge planking and the center section along with the landing gear blocks and the servo trays. By then I hope to have the fuselage laid up and the wing area cut out which should give a good idea of how this thing will go together. Tomorrow, finishing up as much as possible on the wing and working out the fuselage.

Funny as I don't remember having this many problems with the Cherokee years ago.

Name:	BCWingFull.gif
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	81846   Click image for larger version

Name:	BCWingCenter.gif
Views:	173
Size:	158.3 KB
ID:	81847  
Old 11-04-2008, 01:34 AM
starcad
Model Designer

Wow! Got a ton of things done today. All the major parts for the fuselage are cut out along with the internal like the nose gear bearing and the motor mount. This is really turning into a challenge as there are really no examples of how to build and design something like this plane. The wing is basically built and the tail is cut out along with the elevators. Assembly should start this week and end this coming weekend. Pictures later tonight or tomorrow. I think I still may have a few more hours of designing to do to get the final version.

StarCad
Old 11-04-2008, 03:18 AM
GreenAce92
RAWR!!! Lets fly...

lookin good man! the balsa fans will be pleased!
Old 11-05-2008, 07:20 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

The full length strip ailerons seem to work well for the Herr Cherokee I've finally taken the time to get in the air, and gave to a buddy who really liked it. About the same depth as yours, and they really provide smooth response, versus shorter but deeper ailerons.
Looking at your wing brings back memories. The Cherokee did not have ailerons, so I took what would be the equivalent of taking your sheeted TE, cut ailerons, cut back the former ends, inserted strip stock, hinged, and assembled, in addition to installing torque rods after the fact.
It's a lot easier to just include them in the design in the first place, as you did.

Name:	Piper_Cherokee_Herr_ailerons_2.jpg
Views:	156
Size:	79.6 KB
ID:	82855   Click image for larger version

Name:	Piper_Cherokee_Herr2.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	82856  
Old 11-06-2008, 02:22 AM
starcad
Model Designer

OK, Images! As you can see from the two images this is not a small model - well larger than I've built in the last several model I've designed. All the major parts are cut and ready to assemble this weekend, finishing up the wing and adding in the cuts for the servos and the channels for the wiring in the center section. I plan on using a Dremal to route the channels and then add the wiring as needed before adding the second half of the fuselage. Some of it will have to be built in and stay.

As for the ailerons. I'll be using strip ailerons with a servo in each wing thus eliminating torque rods in the center. I only hope my esc can handle the pressure but time will tell.

Name:	IM003680.gif
Views:	156
Size:	162.9 KB
ID:	82901   Click image for larger version

Name:	IM003681.gif
Size:	179.1 KB
ID:	82902  
Old 11-06-2008, 02:25 AM
starcad
Model Designer

Originally Posted by Bill G View Post
The full length strip ailerons seem to work well for the Herr Cherokee I've finally taken the time to get in the air, and gave to a buddy who really liked it. About the same depth as yours, and they really provide smooth response, versus shorter but deeper ailerons.
Looking at your wing brings back memories. The Cherokee did not have ailerons, so I took what would be the equivalent of taking your sheeted TE, cut ailerons, cut back the former ends, inserted strip stock, hinged, and assembled, in addition to installing torque rods after the fact.
It's a lot easier to just include them in the design in the first place, as you did.
That's really a nice looking Cherokee, Bill. I really like the colors and the size.
Old 11-10-2008, 02:55 PM
starcad
Model Designer

Wow, a lot accomplished in the last two days. The wing is almost complete and I was able to get one of the landing gear blocks built today while working on the inner fuselage structure. As with all new designs, it's the little things that keep popping up that slow down progress. However I think that is the best part of design being the unknown what ifs. So far I've been able to overcome all the obstacles this design has involved and now I'm looking almost at the end of the concept of design. I haven't had to draw or re-draw anything in the last several days and that is a good sign. All the parts fit just as conceived and it seems that all the pieces of the puzzle are coming together to form a model airplane.

I should have pictures up sometime tomorrow night - stay posted
Old 11-10-2008, 03:23 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

subscribed
Old 11-11-2008, 04:46 AM
starcad
Model Designer

Wow, what a weekend. Yesterday the wind was blowing at least 25 to 35 with gusts up to 40+. Not a good day to fly as I don't really think, " The wind would have been my friend." So, it was a massive building day and I was able to accomplish a lot more than I thought I would be able to get finished. Everything is coming together better than I expected with only minor adjustments here and there.

As promised in my earlier post, PICTURES

OK so here we go. I'll add a caption to each where needed.

Tomorrow night I will be bending the landing gear and adding the battery box to the wing. I hope to have it joined by Saturday and ready for final sanding and covering. As for the fuse I still need to cut out the 1/32" ply doublers and the 3/16" outside doublers to add depth to the fuse. After everything is sandwiched together I'll do a rough sand with the belt sander and then do the rounding of the edges. Looks like about two more weeks on this one as it's no Weekender project.

Humm! I'm thinking ( smoke pouring from my ears ) Maybe a Navion next??

Name:	fuse3.gif
Views:	152
Size:	156.0 KB
ID:	83394   Click image for larger version

Name:	fuse1.gif
Views:	145
Size:	154.9 KB
ID:	83395   Click image for larger version

Name:	wing2.gif
Views:	150
Size:	165.0 KB
ID:	83396   Click image for larger version

Name:	wing1.gif
Views:	140
Size:	177.4 KB
ID:	83397  
Old 11-11-2008, 09:54 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Its looking good, Keep up the Great Work, Chellie
Old 11-18-2008, 04:02 AM
starcad
Model Designer

A lot more building this weekend. The wing is finished and rough sanded and I worked out most of the fuselage today. I should have it ready to stack and join later this week. Bent and formed the landing gears and found my long lead servos. Just ran out of model building steam today so I though I'd just set it aside for a few hours.

Tomorrow afternoon, when I get back from work, I'll work on the center section of the fuse and add the motor mount and the nose gear blocks along with the nose gear steering arm. I should have the wing final sanded and the first part of the covering on later in the week. I'll try and post more images tomorrow as it's getting late and I have a 5am curtain call. So that means I have to be up at 3:30, Ugh!
Old 12-01-2008, 02:31 AM
starcad
Model Designer

OK, light at the end of the tunnel I hope. I was able to get a bunch completed this week and today. I have one cut-out left on the wing and should have that done tomorrow along with the ailerons shaped and sanded. The 1/16" sides have been laminated to the frame and the nose gear installed. I rough sanded the outline early this evening and will add the ply doublers and the 3/16 doublers tomorrow. I need to open the wing slot in the fuse some more to fit and then I will be on to covering and finishing up. Hopefully I should be ready to fly next Sunday or Monday and the World will know if it goes or fails. That's one of the things I like about model design, you never know until it flies. Colors will be Maroon on base White with a gray strip and black registration numbers.

I haven't taken on a project like this in several years and it has really been a trip down memory lane creating new ideas and addressing different ways to achieve the desired concept. What a neat journey from concept to product.

Pictures to follow tomorrow as I want to upload a few.
Old 12-02-2008, 03:31 AM
starcad
Model Designer

OK Let get at least a couple of images up tonight but first, I have this plane ready to assemble however I've run into a snag. My design calls for four 3/16" holes to be drilled at a 35 degree angel to mount the stabulator. However my drill press went south last year and I havn't replaced it not having a need to. So, what I'm thinking of doing is just taking a stab in the dark with a slightly larger bit like a 7/32" or in that range and just packing the holes with epoxy and use a jig to align the two halves. I've been working on this almost non stop for the last two days and hope to have it covered and ready to install the radio on Saturday and fly it on Sunday so I haven't taken as many images as I wanted to but should have some more for you all tomorrow. Also, I'm going to include a screen shot of what the plan now looks like as this model has evolved. A lot of thought goes into a design like this and someparts work and some don't so the design is revised as the build continues.

Images

Name:	BC1A.gif
Views:	131
Size:	41.3 KB
ID:	85428   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-01-08.gif
Views:	127
Size:	177.0 KB
ID:	85429   Click image for larger version

Name:	12-01-08a.gif
Views:	128
Size:	162.0 KB
ID:	85430   Click image for larger version

Name:	bc1a1.gif
Views:	144
Size:	241.7 KB
ID:	85435   Click image for larger version

Name:	bc1a2.gif
Views:	143
Size:	223.6 KB
ID:	85436  

Last edited by starcad; 12-02-2008 at 05:05 AM.

Quick Reply: StarCad's Scratchbuild Contest 2 Entry #1

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12559 seconds with 31 queries