Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

Walkera #4 35MHZ tail rotor/gyro trim problem

Old 01-05-2009, 09:28 AM
HeliNeil

Default Walkera #4 35MHZ tail rotor/gyro trim problem

Hi

My 1st time on a forum, searched existing threads but could not find an answer: I have flown gas choppers for years and now helping a mate with this Walkera #4 - 35 MHZ model. I have managed to fly it quite successfully except that I am flying it with almost full right tail totor with the trim right over to the right. Increasing power causes 360's to the left so the gyro is not overcoming the torque at all. Running the blades slowly and holding the heli in my hand and rotating it left and right does induce the tail rotor motor speed proportionally to the rotational speed which indicates that the gyro is working and is working in the correct direction however just not providing enough thrust. Tail rotor drive is loose (not binding)

My question is: is there a gyro sensitivity or rate screw on the receiver? The Transmitter only has reverse DIP switches, the rate switches are not connected. There are 2 holes in the receiver, one seems to have no screw, I can only see the PC board, the other looks like a screw?

Congratulations on an Interesting and well run forum

Best wishes for 2009
Neil (South Africa)
Old 01-08-2009, 02:40 AM
Twmaster

Hello Neil and welcome to WattFlyer!

The gyro sensitivity adjustment is on the little 4-in-1 board in the heli. No adjustments from the TX.

If you're flying gassers I'm sure you know how to set the gyro up for the most part. Remember this is a very rudimentary rate gyro not a heading hold type.

Ideally you should not have to twiddle that adjustment but this time it seems you might. Make your adjustments incrementally until you get some wag then back off. IIRC the gain increases as you turn the pot toward clockwise.

Best of luck and please do report back on your findings.

EDIT: I forgot to mention... As the battery wears down on this you -will- have to input some rudder constantly or keep adjusting the trim as these are very basic machines.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 AM
HeliNeil

Hi Twmaster and thanks for the help

I did notice that the main rotor torque overcomes the tail after about 2 minutes in the air - as the battery power reduces. The battery could do with a replacement and/or a new tail rotor motor?. I also found that the replaced tail boom was about 20mm shorter than original so I replaced it with one 10 mm longer than original to help with the leverage - seemed to help a bit but the tail rotor power definately wains soon into the flight so eventually rudder stick and trim hard right as you power up but heli still rotates anti-clockwise. The gyro is probably applying max motor speed so adjusting it probably wont help.

But hey, for what it is and what it costs... it's a small miracle !!!!

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated
Neil
Old 01-09-2009, 02:50 AM
Twmaster

The tail motors on these small helis are known to fail. Some last 20-30 flights others only a few....

One other thing to try that I completely forgot....

Not sure though if the Walkera bird has it or not (the ESky birds do) and that is the proportioning mixer. Should be a second pot for that.

It is amazing what you can get for so little money these days. I myself just bought a new Honey Bee FP (similar to the DF#4) with 2.4Ghz radio for less than $90US to my door.

Old 01-09-2009, 06:10 AM
HeliNeil

I had a whoopsie yesterday, tail rotor seemed to give up completely resulting in spinning, caught me offguard at about 1m high and landed upside down breaking the rotor head so repair coming up. I think I will stop flying it and give it back to my mate to continue learning.

The second hole in the 4 in 1 (receiver) does not appear to have a screw in it, need to open it up to see clearly, if it has I will try that.

I test flew an E Sky Belt CP for another friend yesterday - full house. I really was impressed, very smooth. I could get into this electric thing, a lot less messy and noisy !! Think I should put my order in to Santa for next XMas.........

Cheers for now
Neil
Old 01-09-2009, 06:30 AM
Twmaster

Heh. I fly nothing but 'leccy planks and helis. Very pleased.

One other point to note on the DF#4... Make sure the little piece of rubber tubing is firmly holding the tail rotor against the drive gear with the two little alignment pins in their holes.