Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

SuperSimple ESC problem?

Old 01-07-2009, 07:29 PM
Ivanhoe

Default SuperSimple ESC problem?

I think I have a problem with a SuperSimple 20a ESC,as far as I know these ESCs are only available in the UK (under this name anyway) . My problem is that my motor won't hold max revs for more than a few seconds before slowing to about 1/2 speed. I posted a question about this before on another site, and was told that it was probably the Lipo (2s 500mAh 15c) not being able to support the motor's current draw, so, I replaced it with a 2s 1300mAh, 20-30c, problem is still the same, so I tried a different motor, no change. Has anyone else had any problems with these ESCs? Is my problem with the ESC or does anyone have any other ideas?
I have had 2 of these ESCs, first one I toasted by accidentally connecting the Lipo backwards(Yes, really!) and this one is a replacement, but I've had the problem with both of them
Thing is this, I don't want to spend money on a different ESC if this isn't the problem, of course if the fault IS there I will happily buy something else to solve it.
I am a rank beginner at electric power (though an experienced modeller) so I may be missing something obvious, any help, suggestions, advice, will be MUCH appreciated!
Old 01-07-2009, 07:35 PM
Buck Rogers

First thing to try would be to re-solder all of the connectors on the ESC. Also, what motor and prop are you using? Sometimes over propping the motor can cause symptoms like this. Does the same thing happen without the prop connected?
Old 01-07-2009, 08:04 PM
Ivanhoe

Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post
First thing to try would be to re-solder all of the connectors on the ESC. Also, what motor and prop are you using? Sometimes over propping the motor can cause symptoms like this. Does the same thing happen without the prop connected?
As I said, I've had this same problem with two of these ESCs, as far as I can test them, all the solder joints are ok. the motors I've tried are a Tower Pro, cheap bell-type, and an EMax CF2812, prop tried on both was a 7"x4" (recommended prop sizes are 5" - 7")
Never thought of trying it without a prop, I shall go and try that, thanks!
Old 01-07-2009, 08:18 PM
Ivanhoe

Just tried it without a prop, it still slows down, I also tried it with a smaller(6") prop, still no difference.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:43 PM
Buck Rogers

Ok, sounds a bit strange, is the ESC heating up or anything?

Another thing to check is that it is set for the correct battery type. If the ESC thinks you are connecting a higher voltage battery you may be hitting the LVC. just go through the programming procedure and make sure you have selected the right battery type.
Old 01-07-2009, 08:45 PM
Buck Rogers

Just found these instructions:

To program this controller you have to move transmitter throttle to full position.
Now connect battery to controller.
Wait some seconds, than you hear:
*peep* - *short pause* - *peep*
*pause*
*peep*peep* - *short pause* -*peep*peep*
*pause*
*peep*peep*peep* - *short pause* -*peep*peep*peep*
*pause*
this sequence will repeat...

When you want to use NIHM cells, you have to move throttle to off position when you hear the first *beep*beep*. Than you have to wait for a longer *beeep* and a short *beep*. That's all. You can disconnect battery now.

When you want to select LIPO mode, start from the beginning (throttle full, connect battery, listen to the beeps)
At the time when you hear the first single *beep* move throttle to off and wait for
*beeep* and *beep*.

When you want to switch Brake On or Off, start from the beginning, then wait for the first *peep*peep*peep* within one sequence and put throttle to off. Wait for *beeep* and *beep*.

Note: When you connect battery and throttle is in off position you will hear a long *beeeep* when LIPO-mode ist selected or a short *beep* when NIMH-mode is active.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:10 PM
Ivanhoe

Ok, sounds a bit strange, is the ESC heating up or anything?

Another thing to check is that it is set for the correct battery type. If the ESC thinks you are connecting a higher voltage battery you may be hitting the LVC. just go through the programming procedure and make sure you have selected the right battery type.
No time for the ESC to heat up, the motor slows down within a few seconds of giving it full throttle.
When you connect the battery (Throttle closed) it tells you how many cells it has found, one beep for each cell, I've tried it on a borrowed 3 cell (11.1v) and it beeps three times, on my own battery (2 cell) it beeps twice (followed by a longer beep each time) so it's identifying the battery type correctly. If it's set to the wrong battery type it just beeps continuously and does nothing else (I set it wrongly by accident at first, told you I'm a beginner!)
Old 01-07-2009, 09:17 PM
Buck Rogers

I cant think of what else it could be, maybe its faulty.
Old 01-07-2009, 09:23 PM
Ivanhoe

I cant think of what else it could be, maybe its faulty.
Yes, I'm being forced to this conclusion, I would have put it down to a faulty unit straight off, but it's happened with 2 different SuperSimple ESCs, and I'm sure someone else would have had the problem if all of them have the same fault, I shall have to buy a different make and hope that solves it.

Thanks a lot for your advice and help anyway, Buck
Old 01-08-2009, 12:28 PM
r_kopka
Electric Only

I bought some of them on ebay. Didn't use them in models yet, but tested them as OK on the workbench. No signs as yours.

RK
Old 01-08-2009, 01:35 PM
Ivanhoe

I think I have found the problem, it's not the ESC, it's the Lipo, I tried a borrowed 3s 1800mAh and the motors hold full throttle correctly. Obviously my motors don't like 2s! so I will get a 3s and hopefully this will solve it at long last!
Thanks to all who tried to help me
Old 01-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Walt Thyng
Walt

It's called "voltage depression." The cells cannot deliver enough amps qucikly enough to meet the demand. In trying to do so the voltage drops until there is a balance between volts and amps. More volts or better cells is the answer.
Walt
Old 01-08-2009, 07:08 PM
Ivanhoe

Originally Posted by Walt Thyng View Post
It's called "voltage depression." The cells cannot deliver enough amps qucikly enough to meet the demand. In trying to do so the voltage drops until there is a balance between volts and amps. More volts or better cells is the answer.
Walt
Many thanks, Walt, that's the answer I've been looking for, I hadn't heard of "voltage depression" before, but it certainly explains what was happening, thanks for the explanation.
Old 01-08-2009, 09:27 PM
Buck Rogers

I have an ESC with a similar problem. It runs ok for a couple of mins then I can only get reduced power. The same setup works perfectly with a different ESC. I never got to the bottom of it.
Old 01-09-2009, 04:16 AM
mararra

I had absolutely no luck getting my 30amp Super Simple to work on a 2s battery. Works ok on 3s, but i don't trust it. I'll stick with my Turnigys; they are great and only slightly higher priced.
fly well,
M
Old 01-09-2009, 05:53 PM
Buck Rogers

I've given up on cheap ESC's and only use these ones now

http://www.aircraft-world.com/prod_d...itan/titan.htm

I have to say the TIWARN LED is a really useful feature.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:21 PM
beau0090_99

Found this thread while googling. I have the same problem with my 3S setup. At power up, I hear 3 quick beeps followed by a long beep and then I try the throttle. It works nicely for about 3 seconds, then it sounds like it scales back to about 75% throttle.

Ivanhoe, there is a known problem about the 2S setup on the SS ESC's and there is a fix to solder on two components to the board. Good luck.
Curtis
Old 03-19-2009, 11:38 PM
Dr Kiwi
Super Contributor

Curtis,

As I mentioned in my reply on RC Groups I think your problem is in the programming.
Old 03-20-2009, 04:33 AM
beau0090_99

Thanks Dr. I have been through the programming and played with it a bit and don't think there is anything wrong with that. The three options are to set the LVC to auto, Brake enable/diable and Lipo vs. Nicells and I think all of that is set right. I will look at the LVC setting again though.
Thanks,
Curtis
P.S. I am not sure how complete the excerpt from LightFlightRC is. I know that to get into the programming menu, you need to turn on the Tx and go to WOT, then power up the ESC. I have gotten into that mode and switched the brake on and off as a test.
Old 03-20-2009, 09:20 PM
beau0090_99

Dr. Kiwi,
Thank you for your help. I think I figured it out and I think it is the timing that was messed up. I will post what I posted on RCU next.
Curtis
Old 03-20-2009, 09:20 PM
beau0090_99

I just wanted to put a thread out here regarding some info I have collected regarding HC's Super Simple lineup of ESC. Note: this is regarding the Card-Programmable ESC such as this... Super Simple Card-Programmable 20 ESC

I bought one last month and have been working on putting it into a Simple Stick ARF that I bought from Hobby People. The Motor is a Turnigy SK 2826-1000 and the Battery is a Zippy Flightmax 2200 mah 25 C 11.1V lipo. I got the motor mounted and the connectors soldered on properly and made up my own $3 watt meter from a Harbor Freight DVM and a thread at RCGroups
$3 Watt meter

This ESC is made by Hobbywing, not the Suppo ESC that is labeled as the regular ESC (not programmable by card). Not only that but the programming instructions are much different. The regular only has three programming opptions, where as the CP ESC has 7. The instructions are here... ExceedRC volcano and Hobbywing.

Knowing this helped me a lot, but I still had problems that after about 20 seconds or so the motor would slow down from WOT to about half power. I originally thought it was because the ESC had been programmed to softly cut-off the motor when it sensed the battery was going low, but I think it actually had to do with the timing of the ESC. I set the timing to high, because the motor is a 14 pole. You can find this by disconnecting the motor and the ESC and shorting two of the windings of the motor together and rotate the motor. count the detents in the rotation and that will be the number of poles. They recommend Low for 2-4 poles, medium for 6 and higher, and High for higher speed motors. I set mine to High and it ran indefinately at WOT. This seems to be the trick though. I will keep testing the setup and report any findings back.
Good Luck,
Curtis
Old 03-24-2009, 03:21 AM
delsol

Hoping not to sound to ignorant, I just order two 18 amp super simple ESC to give them a try. All I want is to set up the ESC for a 3s lipo battery with no brake on.
I have a Futaba 6 channel exap TX and my question is?
It sounds like all I have to do is put my TX on full throttle, plug the battery in & it will program the ESC or do I have to re-program the ESC for a lipo battery along with no brake?
Any help would be appreciated !!!
Brad
Old 03-24-2009, 03:32 AM
beau0090_99

OK Brad,
I have the same Tx setup as you and the programming is different between the two types of 18A esc. If there is a card-programmable 18A SS ESc, follow the directions above, if not, then it is another beast and maybe the same as the Suppo. If it is the same as the Suppo, chances are you don't have to program it, but you will most likely need to reverse your throttle direction on the Tx.
Just power it up and try it out. Remember that the arming sequence for these ESC's is different than most US manuafacturers. With the US guys, you go to full throttle, then back to 0 throttle and the ESC arms. With these, as soon as you power on and it goes through it's beeping sequence that thing is ready to spin, so be careful. Just report back any trouble you are having.

Curtis
P.S. The brake is typically off by default.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:07 AM
delsol

Thanks Curtis
I'll just plug the ESC on my Futaba TX with the throttle off & see what it does. I planning to try these ESC on a foam plane I have before installing them on one of my short kit balsa plane projects!!

Thanks again
Brad
Old 03-24-2009, 03:08 PM
cliffh

Since "Super Simple" esc owners are looking at this thread, let me ask another question about them.

I bought 2 of the 20 amp card programable ones, and 1 of the 40 amp units. I was surprised to see the 20 amp units are smaller than the 20 amp Turnigy Plush esc's and even more surprised that the 40 amp Super Simple was SMALLER yet!

Can this be right? Does leaving off some frills make the esc's this small?

Cliff

Quick Reply: SuperSimple ESC problem?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.13596 seconds with 13 queries