Power Systems Talk about motors, ESC speed controllers, gear drives, propellers, power system simulators and all power system related topics

SuperSimple ESC problem?

Old 03-24-2009, 04:24 PM
PerlAddict
Community Moderator

From what I've heard (and don't take this as the Gospel truth, because I can't verify), the programmable Super Simple ESC's are made by HobbyWing, while the non-programmable ones are made by Suppo. So some differences may be evident from the different manufacturing processes. I have Suppo ESC's I bought from LightFlightRC, and the 20A, 30A, and 40A units are all pretty much the same size. Then the 50A and 60A units are the same size, and I don't recall if the 80A or 100A are much bigger.

So it seems feasible that the 40A non-programmable one could be a bit smaller than the 20A programmable one, though I wouldn't expect it to be more than just a couple of mm's. Got a picture you can share for comparison's sake?
Old 03-24-2009, 04:33 PM
Nitro Blast
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by Buck Rogers View Post
I've given up on cheap ESC's and only use these ones now

http://www.aircraft-world.com/prod_d...itan/titan.htm

I have to say the TIWARN LED is a really useful feature.
+1 I'm with Buck.

Hyperion controllers are all I'll buy anymore. Tried a few others and theres nothing like being able to program it via a laptop (Hyperion allows programming through their own E-Meter or via PC with a serial cable). No more counting beeps for me bruddah. Plus, I love the fact that Hyperion BEC curcuts are super tough.. I have overstressed the BEC (when I was a noob and didnt know better) with 8 cell setups and I still have the airplane!

"The 4A Cool Switching BEC can handle high loads from Digital Servos and Gyro, so it is a natural for helicopters, especially those using digital servos..."

Cheap controllers, nope... I dont have time for 'em.
Old 03-24-2009, 04:44 PM
beau0090_99

Cliff,
I don't know. If the main components (the high side FET's) are more robust, but not much bigger, then I guess they could be smaller. I assume that the heat is produced in the FET's and that is the dependent variable in the size equation.
Anyone else care to comment?
Curtis
P.S. Did you try the programming instructions that I posted? Did they work for the three of yours?
Old 03-24-2009, 09:17 PM
cliffh

Originally Posted by PerlAddict View Post
From what I've heard (and don't take this as the Gospel truth, because I can't verify), the programmable Super Simple ESC's are made by HobbyWing, while the non-programmable ones are made by Suppo. So some differences may be evident from the different manufacturing processes. I have Suppo ESC's I bought from LightFlightRC, and the 20A, 30A, and 40A units are all pretty much the same size. Then the 50A and 60A units are the same size, and I don't recall if the 80A or 100A are much bigger.

So it seems feasible that the 40A non-programmable one could be a bit smaller than the 20A programmable one, though I wouldn't expect it to be more than just a couple of mm's. Got a picture you can share for comparison's sake?
No photo, but you are correct. It is just a couple mm's smaller. I was just surprised that the 40 amp wasn't quite a bit LARGER than the 20 amp unit.

Thanks for the quick answer. Cliff
Old 03-26-2009, 09:43 PM
Walt Thyng
Walt

I have two Super Simple 50A ESCs. Neither of them worked when I tried to program them yesterday. Nothing at all out of one, an almost inaudible click when I disconnected the other. Any ideas?
Walt
Old 03-26-2009, 10:01 PM
bhatch21

Walt, are you using them with a separate BEC? I have 3 SS 50a ESCs and they are all working on 4-cell setups.
Old 03-26-2009, 10:12 PM
Walt Thyng
Walt

B21,
I have a separate rx battery. I was using a five cell LiPo as the motor pack. Too much even though the instructions allow up to a 6 cell pack? I had my throttle stick on high and the rx turned on before I connected the batt pack. Also the motor was connected before the batt. Not even a hint of a beep )-:
Walt
Old 03-27-2009, 01:38 AM
beau0090_99

Walt,
good luck with it. I have no exp with the 50A, but that one looks like it is not card-programmable, so I think it may be the Suppo version. I had found the following instructions on HC's forum before they switched formats. Not sure if it will work for you.
Curtis
P.S. Make sure your throttle is reversed if you are using a Futaba radio.
P.P.S. Did you try this with a smaller lipo, as it says 2-4 cells on the HC site.
Attached Files
Old 03-27-2009, 01:58 AM
Walt Thyng
Walt

B99,
thx for the programming instructions. they are the same as the ones I have. Note that under type and number of cells it shows 5S LiPo, but since the instructions are for several sizes of ESC, it may be that 4 is the limit. I'll give it a try.
Walt
Old 03-27-2009, 03:02 AM
bhatch21

Yeah, like Curtis said. I read on the reviews where it might not auto detect above 4 cells. Try it with 3 or 4 cells and go into the programming from the instructions on the HC review page. Select and save the number of cells you want to use, unplug the battery and try it with the larger pack. Good luck.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:04 AM
beau0090_99

And don't forget to report back what if anything worked for you. Gotta keep this ball rolling.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:22 AM
Walt Thyng
Walt

too tired now to play with anything electric. Will try with a smaller pack tomorrow and report back. thanks for the input.
Walt
Old 03-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Walt Thyng
Walt

Sorry, had a computer problem --- couldn't get online. Tried the 50 SS ESc with a 3 cell LiPo and IT WORKED! thanks for the advice.

I kept messing up the settings and after the third try it quit responding. If I did manage to change the cell count would I have to use that size batt to get it to respond? Just asking as I haven't had time to try anything else yet.
Walt
Old 03-28-2009, 09:00 PM
beau0090_99

Well, glad you got something. Not sure about needing to use that type of batt to get it to respond after setting, but would make sense if you couldn't get it to recognize the higher pack. Did the programming beeps seem to line up with the instructions? I.e. the same number of options and acknowledgments?

Good luck and let us know if it now responds to the higher number of cells.
Curtis
Old 03-30-2009, 12:12 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Originally Posted by delsol View Post
Hoping not to sound to ignorant, I just order two 18 amp super simple ESC to give them a try. All I want is to set up the ESC for a 3s lipo battery with no brake on.
I have a Futaba 6 channel exap TX and my question is?
It sounds like all I have to do is put my TX on full throttle, plug the battery in & it will program the ESC or do I have to re-program the ESC for a lipo battery along with no brake?
Any help would be appreciated !!!
Brad
I have one in an Eflite SE5A on 3s, which works fine. The ESC is really a 10A cont, 15A burst ESC by design, just like the GWS15 ESC.
I never did any programming, and I don't believe the brake is on. Simply connected it and flew. We tested the cutoff (not intentionally ), and after removing the batt it was at around 9.5V. I can assume under the relatively light load, that it cut it off at around 9V, which is within reason for a 3 cell lipo. It seemed to be a gradual cutoff, like a Castle TBird9.
Old 03-30-2009, 03:46 PM
Walt Thyng
Walt

even though I'm having problems getting mine set up, I do know that the ESC comes with default settings: most LiPos and highest LVC for the size range of the ESC; auto throttle, hard accel,soft brake,clockwise rotation (i.e. no gear box), low pole count.
Walt
Old 03-30-2009, 07:44 PM
akillys

Hey guys, sorry if this is the wrong spot to post this. Im new to this and don't know how to get back to my privious post lol. Ill figure it out but for now I need to know if the motor I want to purchas will run with a spektrum AR6100 e. The motor I want is an Alpha 480 (1020kv) outrunner brushless motor. Im wanting to put these things in a park zone coursaire. I know I can use the reciever but need to know if the motor will be to powerful or not. If this motor is fine could you also please tell me what type of esc I should use. What would work with the motor and reciever. If anyone can answer these questions that would be extreamly helpful, thank you.
Old 04-04-2009, 04:34 PM
delsol

I received my super simple 18a esc this week & last night I took out the castle creation esc & installed the SS esc in one of my old planes. Since I have a Futaba TX all I did was hook the battery up heard a few beeps and it seem like the SS esc works fine. Next test is to go fly the plane.
Brad
Old 04-05-2009, 05:36 PM
delsol

A quick up-date on the super simple 18a esc. Went out and flew 4 flights with the SS esc and it work every bit as good as the more expensive esc I had in the plane. It is a 3-channel plane so now wondering how it would work in a plane with 4 servos?
Brad
Old 04-05-2009, 07:10 PM
beau0090_99

A quick update.
I noticed on HC's forum that they posted some instructions for their Turnigy Plush and Sentry ESC's In the forum the moderator says, note they mention the Pentium and Guard ESC's, but these are the same. The instructions look very similar to the ones I described above but they append instructions for the new cell monitoring device. Also, these include a few troubleshooting procedures to follow as well. Hope this helps.
Curtis
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Turnigy_ESC_Stick_Programming.pdf (195.7 KB, 191 views)
Old 04-05-2009, 07:17 PM
beau0090_99

Walt,
I found a programming manual for the SS50A on the HC website. If you get a chance let me know if these instructions correlate to your controller.
Curtis
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SuperSimple50A-ESC.pdf (18.3 KB, 254 views)