Scratch and Kit Built Aircraft Discuss and share your scratch built or kit built aircraft as well as building techniques, methods, mediums and resources.

Giant Rc Foamie Biplane Scratch Build

Old 01-13-2009, 02:29 AM
  #76  
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: the flying field
Posts: 823
Default

I have looked at heads up many a time. I would love to buy there, but again no credit card. I can only if ever go to the small lhs and get mucho$$ eflite, he trusts the saying you get what you pay for, and a turnigy 20 dollar motor isnt, well.....
benovisoff is offline  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:03 AM
  #77  
Slowjohn
Passed on
 
Slowjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mid Coastal TX.
Posts: 2,100
Default

Jeff accepts Postal Money Orders, personal checks & if you want to chance it, cash money I'm sure. In the 3 years I've been ordering from Jeff I've yet to have a motor go bad after only a few flights. I've had to replace a few shafts that I bent from dumb thumbs or whatever. Jeff has excellent after the sale customer service. You really can't go wrong with Jeff.

JB
Slowjohn is offline  
Old 01-13-2009, 03:31 AM
  #78  
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: the flying field
Posts: 823
Default

Alright. Ive even been looking at those cheap turnigy motors on hobby king. I don't know any numbers besidesa like 400 450 48... I don't get those like 234/1345/12. they are so weird. I don't know how many max oz. the 480 will pull, so I want a brushless that is in like a 800 range or something. The 480 actually doesn't pull many amps. I think a much bigger prop with more pitch will make a sizeable difference.
benovisoff is offline  
Old 01-13-2009, 06:07 AM
  #79  
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: the flying field
Posts: 823
Default

How's it comin chellie?
benovisoff is offline  
Old 01-13-2009, 06:09 AM
  #80  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,269
Default

Originally Posted by benovisoff View Post
How's it comin chellie?
Hi, I am going to get out in my work shop here in a few mins to do a little more to it Take care, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 01-13-2009, 06:26 AM
  #81  
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: the flying field
Posts: 823
Default

yearnin' to see a vid of it.
benovisoff is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 06:50 AM
  #82  
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!
 
Larry3215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gig Harbor, Wa USA
Posts: 7,061
Default

So.... is it done yet? Maiden it yet? Video yet?

Come on Chellie! Whats taking soooooo loooooong!!!

Figured Id give benovisoff a rest from pestering you
Larry3215 is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 07:07 AM
  #83  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,269
Default

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
So.... is it done yet? Maiden it yet? Video yet?

Come on Chellie! Whats taking soooooo loooooong!!!

Figured Id give benovisoff a rest from pestering you
LOL I glued up the wings last night, added the wood frame and carbon fiber rods, so far each wing weights 13 1/2 oz, have to glue the thin ply in the middle yet, on top and bottom, I think i will use some covering for the wing, I ordered some low heat foam covering from tower hobby, that will save me a lot of time, so i dont have to fill the any imperfections with lite weight spackel and sand, and it will add a little strength to the wing too, so far so good, the wings seem very stiff, I bought the tower hobby towerkote, in white, i was going to use black, but black absorbes the heat, and foam does not like heat Take care, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 07:28 AM
  #84  
jasmine2501
Custom User Title
 
jasmine2501's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Lakewood, CO
Posts: 2,373
Default

You work fast... it would take me a good 3 months to build that...
jasmine2501 is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 07:40 AM
  #85  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,269
Default

Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
You work fast... it would take me a good 3 months to build that...
Hi Jasmine its a simple build Yea right huh the wing is flat, so thats easy, the fuselage will be the tricky part, and the rudder and elevator is flat foam too, I Like this color pattern, in pink and silver and white

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5321.jpg
Views:	849
Size:	126.4 KB
ID:	90386  
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 08:27 AM
  #86  
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!
 
Larry3215's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Gig Harbor, Wa USA
Posts: 7,061
Default

Chellie, how do you get the full size image in your post like that? I only know how to attach the little thumbnails that you have to click on to expand.

Its a neat trick!
Larry3215 is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 08:32 AM
  #87  
Slowjohn
Passed on
 
Slowjohn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Mid Coastal TX.
Posts: 2,100
Default

Originally Posted by CHELLIE View Post
I would love to have you build right along side me on this one John, pick up that PINK FOAM and Dive in Thats basicly what I did, I just dove into this build, and I am hopeing to work myself out of it I have friends that Say I can dive into a pile of POO POO and come out smelling like a Rose, I Hope so on this one Take care, Chellie
Sorry for being so "Slow" in answering this one Chellie. Thanks for the invite but at this time I'm flat covered up with a back log of builds that I just can't seem to stop adding to. I just a few days ago bought Smurfs Hobby Lobby Funster and went and picked it up last Sat. On the way back home I started feeling rough and by Sun. I was once again in bad shape. Feeling better now so maybe I can get something done and a few off the build table. I do have plans to finish up that Pink FFF Twin though but first I'll have to pick up some more Pink FFF for it. I'm very interested though as to how well a flat wing that size will preform. It's giving me second thoughts to using a built up foam wing on my Twin.
BTW, My mother used to tell me that I could do the same thing only she used some different words than you

Standing By,
SJ
Slowjohn is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 08:32 AM
  #88  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,269
Default

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
Chellie, how do you get the full size image in your post like that? I only know how to attach the little thumbnails that you have to click on to expand.

Its a neat trick!
Hi Larry add your picture to the post, click on it ( Attached Thumbnails ) to enlarge it, copy it, right click, then go to edit, and paste in the same post, enlarged, hope that helps, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 08:34 AM
  #89  
proffcharlie
Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Lafayette, LA (Heart of Cajun Country)
Posts: 204
Default

Don't let the others shake you up girl. You're doing great! You build faster and smarter than a lot of people I know. Larry has some outstanding ideas and methods. The only suggestion I have is go down to Home Depot or Lowes and buy an interior closet door to build on. You can get a 80'x18' Lauan skinned hollow core door for about $20. I go to the tools dept. and grab a 48' level and check the surface in different spots for being straight on the diaganol and along the length and width. Don't worry about level just look for daylight between the sufrace and the level's edge. I got lucky and found one that had a hole about 3/4" on one side and the store sold it to me for $10. The Lauan surface is easy to push pins through and the inside frameing keeps it from warping for quite a few years. The 80x24 doors aren't very much more if you need something wider. Helps to make flat wings and straight fuses.

Charlie
proffcharlie is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 08:38 AM
  #90  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,269
Default

Originally Posted by proffcharlie View Post
Don't let the others shake you up girl. You're doing great! You build faster and smarter than a lot of people I know. Larry has some outstanding ideas and methods. The only suggestion I have is go down to Home Depot or Lowes and buy an interior closet door to build on. You can get a 80'x18' Lauan skinned hollow core door for about $20. I go to the tools dept. and grab a 48' level and check the surface in different spots for being straight on the diaganol and along the length and width. Don't worry about level just look for daylight between the sufrace and the level's edge. I got lucky and found one that had a hole about 3/4" on one side and the store sold it to me for $10. The Lauan surface is easy to push pins through and the inside frameing keeps it from warping for quite a few years. The 80x24 doors aren't very much more if you need something wider. Helps to make flat wings and straight fuses.

Charlie
Great Idea Charlie Thank You, that will help alot, Thank you for the complements Take care, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 08:43 AM
  #91  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,269
Default

Originally Posted by Slowjohn View Post
Sorry for being so "Slow" in answering this one Chellie. Thanks for the invite but at this time I'm flat covered up with a back log of builds that I just can't seem to stop adding to. I just a few days ago bought Smurfs Hobby Lobby Funster and went and picked it up last Sat. On the way back home I started feeling rough and by Sun. I was once again in bad shape. Feeling better now so maybe I can get something done and a few off the build table. I do have plans to finish up that Pink FFF Twin though but first I'll have to pick up some more Pink FFF for it. I'm very interested though as to how well a flat wing that size will preform. It's giving me second thoughts to using a built up foam wing on my Twin.
BTW, My mother used to tell me that I could do the same thing only she used some different words than you

Standing By,
SJ
Hi John the largest flat foam wing i have made so far is 49" W/S and it works great, thats what gave me the confidence to try a wing a little longer and wider, this wing will be only 22" longer than my Scratch built kantana, look at the bottom of my post, there is a youtube video of the Katana there, and that was before i added 1 more CF tube in the wing, Take care, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 08:49 AM
  #92  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,269
Default

Originally Posted by wilmracer View Post
I've got my eyes on this build. Good luck Chellie! I've always wanted a Biplane at that size.
Thank you Its a fun build, and I have a lot of Great help here too on Wattflyers, Thanks everyone for your input, it helps alot, Take care, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 01-14-2009, 02:04 PM
  #93  
Cdr. Instigator
Pimp My Plane
 
Cdr. Instigator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Houston
Posts: 487
Default

You amaze me, Chellie Girl !!!
Cdr. Instigator is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 02:13 AM
  #94  
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: the flying field
Posts: 823
Default

Originally Posted by Larry3215 View Post
So.... is it done yet? Maiden it yet? Video yet?

Come on Chellie! Whats taking soooooo loooooong!!!

Figured Id give benovisoff a rest from pestering you
RC building never rests, so why should I!?
You should be gettin there soon... I hope
benovisoff is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 05:15 AM
  #95  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,269
Default

Originally Posted by Cdr. Instigator View Post
You amaze me, Chellie Girl !!!
Hi Instigator Hey, thats my middle Name I love this stuff I have been flying model planes for over 40 years, started with a cox 049 pt19 control line, that my father bought, I was about 12 or 13 at the time, and that was so much fun, I never left it and it does help to keep me out of the Night Clubs and Casinos, Well a little anyway Take care, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 05:17 AM
  #96  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,269
Default

Ok Benovisoff i am going back out to my work shop to get some more work done on the Biplane Take care, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 05:56 AM
  #97  
R6_Infantry
Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Beaverton, OR
Posts: 139
Default

Hey Chellie when its done how much to ship to zip 97006?.... hahah lol
R6_Infantry is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 05:56 AM
  #98  
benovisoff
aint crashin aint flyin
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: the flying field
Posts: 823
Default

how big is this monsterous bipe?
benovisoff is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 06:03 AM
  #99  
starcad
Model Designer
 
starcad's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Tucson, Az
Posts: 584
Default

Hey Chellie, more images when you get a chance. Your really driving me to try the Su-Do-Khoi. I found my old gas'er servos tonight while cleaning house. I think I'll wait till after your finished to see how you come out. But I have full faith in your abilities your builds are great. Speaking of PT-19's, that is also on my build list this year.
starcad is offline  
Old 01-15-2009, 06:06 AM
  #100  
CHELLIE
Super Contributor
Thread Starter
 
CHELLIE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Hesperia, So. Calif
Posts: 19,269
Default

Originally Posted by starcad View Post
Hey Chellie, more images when you get a chance. Your really driving me to try the Su-Do-Khoi. I found my old gas'er servos tonight while cleaning house.
Go For it Starcad you will be glad you did Take care, Chellie
CHELLIE is offline  

Quick Reply: Giant Rc Foamie Biplane Scratch Build


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.12391 seconds with 14 queries