General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Art-Tech Receiver Crystal Compatibility

Old 01-24-2009, 11:31 PM
Jody

Default Art-Tech Receiver Crystal Compatibility

Okay. Just discovered that the only crystal that will work in an Art-Tech receiver is an Art-Tech crystal.

Bought a couple of the 6 channel EFLY 100C 72 mhz single conversion Futaba/Jr compatible receivers from Hobby King. They only had 'em on channel 51 and I'm using channel 18 TX. No problem right. Just change the crystals.

So I picked up some Hitec single conversion FM crystals from ebay to put in em. Piece 'a cake. But wait a minute. Beep beep beep. The danged ol' ESC has an alarm. Check manual. No/weak signal alarm. Read manual note: "Crystals for receivers from Art-Tech can not be compatible with other crystals." Huh?! Read it about ten more times.

Hmmm. Are they trying to say you gotta use an Art-Tech crystal in their receivers?!

Go get Wing Dragon and remove channel 18 crystal. Voila. Working.

Gotta learn how to read translated chinese or get a fatter bank account.
Old 01-25-2009, 01:15 AM
Twmaster

You need to be careful swapping crystals from other brands around in radio sets. Just because it may 'work' does not mean that's a good thing. You may be shooting others down on adjacent channels. That's more so in transmitters than receivers of course. Swapping crystals in RXs may cause reduced range or induce susceptibility to interference from other radios and RF sources.

Buy good brand receivers that you can get crystals for and be happy.
Old 01-25-2009, 02:19 AM
Jody

That's some excellent advice. So the Art-Tech brand of receiver is not a quality brand? What would you recommend?
Old 01-25-2009, 02:56 AM
Twmaster

No Art-Tech is not well regarded.

The usual suspects to try include brands like (in no special order) Berg, Hitec, Corona, Futaba, JR, FMA etc.
Old 07-05-2009, 10:44 PM
chiefredelk

Your Problem may not be the TYPE of Chrystal but that you went from HIGH band to LOW band. Most time when you do that the radio must be retuned..I have a Low band radio and rx that works great. IF I change to HIGH band it does not work at all..
Old 07-06-2009, 02:03 AM
Jody

Actually what I discovered is those receivers require a "short" crystal.

As for going from high band to low band ( or vice versa ) it is my understanding that only a transmitter would need re-tuning. Any receiver can be used as long as it's the proper type conversion and shift. Only Futaba specifies their receivers as a high or low band. Every other receiver I've ever purchased had crystals listed as operable on any band, high or low.

I took the following from Tower Hobbies website:

COMMENTS: Special Notice about Frequency Changes-
*72MHz- Low band channels 16 to 35; High band channels 36 to 60.
Receiver crystal channels (16-35 or 36-60) Within Each Band
Can Be Changed, and Do Not Require a retuning of the receiver.
*72MHz Frequency Band (Low or High) for the receiver Can Not Be
Changed from Low to High band, OR from High to Low band without
sending it into Futaba Services for retuning.
*50MHz, 72MHz, 27MHz and 75MHz Frequency Bands Can Not under any
circumstances be interchanged with each other. The receiver Must
be sent in for retuning to the appropriate band.
*50MHz, 27MHz and 75MHz receiver crystals Can be changed anywhere
within the respective bands. There are no High or Low bands such
as the 72MHz band has.
*Transmitter Crystals Can Not be changed to another channel except
by a licensed service center. It is against FCC regulations, and
illegal for the user to change a frequency determining component
of a transmitter. If a radio is not retuned, it can be a hazard to
spectators, modelers or property, and void AMA insurance coverage.
*Check with the local R/C club for the frequencies used in your area.

kh12-04-01
updt jxs 11/05/03
updated jpg 7/21/05

I apologise in advance for any mis-information in this post.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:12 AM
Twmaster

Right. Futaba is the only brand I've ever seen with a high/low range of receivers.

Also, to follow on to your original post.. Art-Tech receivers use single conversion FM crystals. Crystals from brands like E-Sky, Dynam and Century will usually work. Also, Futaba single conversion crystals will work.

However, as I mentioned previously, Art-Tech electronics are pretty low on the quality scale.
Old 07-06-2009, 08:45 AM
chiefredelk

The WD 3 came with an Efly100B system on channel 29.. So far it's been decent for a cheap radio except for the less than quaility servo's, quickly replaced.

I was told all 72 Mhz systems regardless of brand are either high or low band.

That may be wrong but when I tried a matched set of channel 50 crystals in my radio they did not work, not even a glitch. Yet the stock chrystals ( channel 29) work with both the Art Tech and Dayman RX.

My Efly system is a channel 29 with a channel 25 chrystal in the RX..I feel sure it's a single conversion.

I use the Efly100B for two planes and would like another 72.270 RX Chrystal that would work. Not sure as what to order since I can't find an Art Tech...

You may be right about needing a short Chrystal. The channel 25 chrystal looks to be less than half an inch tall. The pins are about the same distance apart and length as the full size ones.

A berg chrystal might work. I can't find a Dynam of the right freq. I a new set of Dyman channel 50 but they are usless to me.

So far I am not dissapointed in the Efly100B TX or it's RX.. it seems to be solid.
Old 07-06-2009, 03:29 PM
Jody

So far the Futaba short crystals are the only ones I have been able to locate and are pricey @ $12.00 ea. I have been unable to locate any of the other brands TWmaster mentions on 72.150 channel 18, which is the channel I've been using. You may have better luck.

Another discovery I've made is that the short receiver crystal is a type 72-12. But from what I've been able to ascertain not all have the tag like the picture below. Tower Hobbies has some Great Planes short type with the 72-12 tag for $8.99 ea., but I haven't tried them yet. Also, I'm not sure what's under the tag but the crystal itself may also be stamped.

You can try contacting Radical RC. They have a crystal exchange program. You send them a crystal you don't need + $5.00, and they'll send you the one you need. There's a form on their website you print out and use for the exchange.
Old 07-06-2009, 05:03 PM
Sir Raleigh
Super Contributor

Looks like it's time for you to switch to either Corona or LightFlight (same as Corona, just rebranded) receivers. Crystals are approx $2.50 for Single Conversion or $3.95 for Dual Conversion (this from BP Hobbies).

Or, you can go with the Corona Synthesized receiver that will work on any 72 MHz channel and doesn't use crystals.

Bill
Old 07-06-2009, 05:39 PM
Jody

Funny you would mention that, Bill. I just bought 4 of these: Corona RS410II 4Ch Single Conversion Long Range FM Receiver + crystals- from R2Hobbies.

The total price including shipping was $49.00 + some change

Any idea what happened to the picture from my previous post? It was there a minute ago, now it's gone?
Old 05-04-2010, 04:15 AM
makeitworst

Default Art-Tech model "E-Fly 100C" receivers crystals?

Originally Posted by Jody View Post
So far the Futaba short crystals are the only ones I have been able to locate and are pricey @ $12.00 ea. I have been unable to locate any of the other brands TWmaster mentions on 72.150 channel 18, which is the channel I've been using. You may have better luck.

Another discovery I've made is that the short receiver crystal is a type 72-12. But from what I've been able to ascertain not all have the tag like the picture below. Tower Hobbies has some Great Planes short type with the 72-12 tag for $8.99 ea., but I haven't tried them yet. Also, I'm not sure what's under the tag but the crystal itself may also be stamped.

You can try contacting Radical RC. They have a crystal exchange program. You send them a crystal you don't need + $5.00, and they'll send you the one you need. There's a form on their website you print out and use for the exchange.
Jody,

I know that this is an old post you made, but I was just given a pair of nearly new Art-Tech model "E-Fly 100C" receivers. Were you able to confirm what brand and model crystals will work in these receivers?

Also, are they Negative (Futaba) or Positive shift (Airtronics / Jr) ??

I would appreciate any information you've confirmed.

Thanks
Old 05-04-2010, 04:55 AM
chiefredelk

Default Art Tech Chrystals or the lack thereof

I fixed my problem. I STOPPED USING Art Tech receivers.. At Headsup I got a tiny receiver for about 12 bucks each. Chrystal's about 2 bucks each and many available. This is the best way to go..Wasting money on 12 dollar crystals for a cheap RX is not smart money. I bought several RX from headsup and love them. Art Tech is putting themselves out of business by not making their Chrystal available at low cost.. Jeff at Headsuprc will gladly advise you as to what you need..Google headsuprc.. I love the tiny RX but I still use the Art Tech transmitters.. I have two Art TX and 4 small Generic receivers from headsup. They work great..Good luck.. Chief.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:29 AM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Some of the compatibilities for single conversion receiver crystals in micro 72MHz receivers are:
GWS Naro and Pico
Corona
Berg
Blue Arrow
Blue Bird
ZX Tech RJ4
JMP

I believe that those receivers can all use a UM1 or UM5 crystal. I would suspect that your ArtTech receiver uses the same, based on their wide use. I have had good success with GWS Crystals and Bergs. I have heard that the Berg crystal will improve the reception of the GWS receivers, which I have had good performance with, using both. The only notable interference issue I had was using a different brand than the above two, and can't be sure if it was crystal related, as I didn't test it in flight again. Still not enough interference to lose control.

The Hitec Feather (discontinued) and I believe their newer unit uses a different crystal.
As stated before, Futaba has both low and high band receivers, also being unique.

Edit: Just found the Art Tech manual:
http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q=...lnp1Zx8q-kGJkw
It says that their 72MHz receiver is Futaba compatible on page 8, and also lists compatibilities for other country's frequencies.
Old 05-04-2010, 06:01 AM
chiefredelk

Default Art Tech RX / chrystal compatiablilty

The UM-5 crystals are TO SMALL for the Art Tech RX. They do fit the small RX heads up RC sells.. I have several.. They are TINY compared to the Art Tech Chrystal which looks like the old normal size except shorter..I use the Art Tech RX on one plane only and got new receivers with compatible crystals from Heads Up RC.. The Art Tech Transmitters were on sale for about 12 bucks a while back some place on the net. It's a decent TX if you buy a good RX to go with it..I have several small RX for my two Art Transmitters..Most people seem to be getting away from 72 MHz but I find it still works well for me out here in the country..Good luck..
Old 05-04-2010, 06:33 AM
makeitworst

Yeh I can also vouch for the fact that the UM1 and UM 5 (as used in BlueBird, Corona, some other micro RX's) can not be used in the Art-Tech E-Fly 100C, which is more of a "Mini" like the Hitec Mini 6 plastic encased RX. I use UM-5's in my Corona RS-410II and RS-610II in small planes.

No I don't use the Art-Tech's, while I am a 72mhz stalwart (I' getting the whole band to myself day by day ... along with very inexpensive RX's!), I tend to ony use what used to be more expensive 72meg RX's and my new love, the Synthesized Corona RP6D1. I use only Airtronics radio's, so I couldn't use the Art-Tech's since they are negative shift.

I'm trying to sell these two nearly new Art-Tech, and would like to advise whoever buys them what crystals will work. I've read a lot of posts that they are very reliable and I hate to just toss them.

So, do Futaba Short Xtl's work for sure? Any others confirmed to work?
Old 05-04-2010, 06:38 AM
Jody

Default Art Tech RX / crystal compatiblilty

makeitworst,

They are Futaba compatible ( Negative Shift ) and require a Futaba or compatible " short " crystal.

These Futaba crystals have worked for me. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXBFL1**&P=7

Last edited by Jody; 05-04-2010 at 06:56 AM. Reason: adressed to wrong recipient
Old 05-04-2010, 07:10 AM
makeitworst

Originally Posted by Jody View Post
makeitworst,

They are Futaba compatible ( Negative Shift ) and require a Futaba or compatible " short " crystal.

These Futaba crystals have worked for me. http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...I=LXBFL1**&P=7
Hey Jody,

Thanks a lot! At $7.99, not too bad a price, actually! Good info If I can sell these for $10 each.

But I'll still stick with my Corona's and Hitec's for my foamies and 1/10th to 1/4 scales .... and those still expensive Airtronics 8ch 72's for my 40%er build up scale nitro planes.

Best regards!