Micro Sized Electric Helicopters Discuss micro and mini sized electric rc helis in here

fp heli recommendations?

Old 01-27-2009, 04:13 AM
capt. crash
is cooler than you

Default fp heli recommendations?

I'm thinking of getting a really small FP heli for indoors practice and I'm thinking of the walkera 4#3 with brushless. two questions:

1. Where is the best (read cheapest) place to get this little heli. I'd prefer to not get it off of the 'bay, and I've checked there anyways and didn't see a lot that hit it for me. I know there are several places to get this heli but for like $50 shipping, and that is a lot for a $100 heli.

2. Are there any other good FP alternative helis that are also really small? I want something for indoors, and can only do so much with my blade 400 inside before I run out of room (lol, even hovering inside can get a little dicey , but hey it's really taught me how to do some precision hovering ). I'm basically looking for a pretty good quality FP heli about the size/cost of the walkera 4#3 if possible. The tiny size is the main thing for me, I want something that will be a lot easier to fly inside than my B400. (well, i know more difficult to hover, but will have enough room to hover).

Thanks all.

Last edited by capt. crash; 01-27-2009 at 09:34 PM. Reason: pizza is very very delicious
Old 01-27-2009, 09:35 PM
capt. crash
is cooler than you

oh, and i'm also on a budget somewhat, with being in high school and saving for college and all, so that's probably a little important to mention.

Last edited by capt. crash; 01-27-2009 at 11:01 PM. Reason: invisible monkeys
Old 01-27-2009, 10:49 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Unless we're talking about a gym, there's not a whole lot you can do with a heli indoors, and I Know you want a FP, but I would suggest a blade MCX, it flys great, and will be very good indoors... other than the looks, the functioning wouldn't be a whole lot difference indoors...

PS, as far as the walkera micro's go... I owned a 4#3, which I gave away... and I still have a 5g6 (coax), and a 4g3 (3d), the 4#3 is the most unstable of the three... and the 5g6 is great indoors...

SK
Old 01-27-2009, 10:59 PM
capt. crash
is cooler than you

thanks. i don't have a gym, but a rather large basement though. 10 ft ceiling and is like 50 ft by 15 ft, so i do have a fair amount of room.

the reason I want a FP is the added difficulty, I am getting a MCX in the mail tommorrow and i'm sure i'll love it, but I also want something that will keep my skills up as well for my B400 when it's crappy outside. Like today, for example, there is 6" of snow on the ground and it's 15F outside.

i usually do practice in a 8' by 8' room with my B400 and it has really taught me precision hovering, lol. just a couple of batts after being brave enough to do some hops and not just scooting around on the floor, and i can hover right in a 1ft square box for half a batt or so and then get slightly off and land. i'd rather just land partway through instead of attempting to maneuver in a tiny space and crash, lol. parents don't like ideaa of marked up walls.

Last edited by capt. crash; 01-27-2009 at 11:00 PM. Reason: pizza
Old 01-27-2009, 11:24 PM
rcshirt

THe blade MCX is the cheapest 129.99 RTF
the CX2 is 189.99 and that is a places like Hobby town
plus the parts are easy to get from those shops.
(i work part time as my 3rd job ther on the weekends.)

the problem from buying from an online store like esky or walkera is that almost NO hobby shops will carry the parts. So you always have to order the parts.
Old 01-28-2009, 12:10 AM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

I'd go with the 4g3 (3d) over the 4#3, its much more stable and it will fly good outdoors as well...

Look at Wowhobbies, they have them instock and they carry the parts pretty cheap in the USA... Very quick shipping too....

SK
Old 01-28-2009, 03:30 PM
constantCrash
prefectionist

over the past couple of days I've been researching the Nine Eagles Kestrel 500SX which can be purchased from:
http://www.rchobbyhelicopter.com/

It's a Semi-stabalized single rotor fixed pitch heli. it'll be harder to fly than a CX2 but easier than say a HB Fixed Pitch or Walkera.

Some people are using the parts from the 500SX to convert a CX2 into the same thing. I'm currently contemplating doing just that because the quality of the electronics in the Nine Eagles apparently has something to be desiered (it's just below walkera in quality which is pritty bad).

I have a 4#3 in bits in a box. It was a neat little heli but I had issues with the servo-receiver connections flaking out so it's unflyable at the moment. This begs the question for others who have the 4#3: have they fixed the servo-receiver plug issue yet or is it still a problem?
Old 01-29-2009, 03:43 PM
bassplayinDude

I have a 4#3b and have yet to have a signal issue with the servos. Also, the 4#3a/b and now the brushless models use newer servos that are (from what I've read) much better than the original 4#3.

I do have an intermittent power issue with the tail motor that I have to hunt down. Sometimes the tail receives no power, but if I move the wires a bit, it does so I have to figure out if it's a break in the wire or something else.

Also, the original motor on my 4#3b only lasted 4 8 minute flights before dying. That's pretty freakin' crappy if you ask me. The second motor has about 10 flights on it so far, but I keep flight times down to 3 minutes to avoid cooking the motor (it's still hot even in 3 minutes). I can get 2 3 minute flights out of a battery and it'll be recharged in about 20 minutes.

At some point I will upgrade to / get a brushless 4#3b. Other than the main motor frying, my 4#3b has been solid out of the box. I had some tail wag when I first flew it, but I balanced the tail rotors and the wag disappeared. I find this impressive since the 4#3b doesn't have a proportional pot on its receiver like my HBFP does.

Still, if I hadn't flown an HBFP previously I don't think I'd be able to hover the 4#3b (all I can do because I'm 'flying' in a 5' x 6' space in the kitchen) as easily as I have because it's very quick to respond. Luckily it'll take a hit better than my HBFP and most importantly, it doesn't leave scuff marks on the stove/fridge/freezer when a blade strike occurs.
Old 01-29-2009, 06:00 PM
4stripes

I've got both the 4G3 and the 4#3 metal head brushless and the 4#3 is better for learning indoors as it's more stable. I love my 4G3 but it requires more skill and is easier to break (it is not for beginners). Chinesejade has very good pricing with super service. $5 shipping for anysize order. From hongkong my orders take from 7 to 10 days. Best to order spare parts with the chopper as you will need them.
Landing gear
rotor blades
tail blades
spare batteries (3 extra is nice)
tail motors (they aren't brushless and will eventually get weak)
tail rotor gear/shaft
tail boom
Get the 4#3 brushless/metal combo. It's a good deal at $160 total.
Cheers Eric
Old 01-29-2009, 07:59 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by 4stripes View Post
I've got both the 4G3 and the 4#3 metal head brushless and the 4#3 is better for learning indoors as it's more stable. I love my 4G3 but it requires more skill and is easier to break (it is not for beginners). Chinesejade has very good pricing with super service. $5 shipping for anysize order. From hongkong my orders take from 7 to 10 days. Best to order spare parts with the chopper as you will need them.
Landing gear
rotor blades
tail blades
tail rotor gear/shaft
tail boom
Cheers Eric
I had the 4#3a version without the metal head, it was pretty unstable, and if you moved too fast it wouln't be able to recover, maybe the metal version is better, I have heard reports that it is....

SK
Old 02-01-2009, 07:07 PM
4stripes

Originally Posted by bassplayinDude View Post
I have a 4#3b and have yet to have a signal issue with the servos. Also, the 4#3a/b and now the brushless models use newer servos that are (from what I've read) much better than the original 4#3.

I do have an intermittent power issue with the tail motor that I have to hunt down. Sometimes the tail receives no power, but if I move the wires a bit, it does so I have to figure out if it's a break in the wire or something else.

Also, the original motor on my 4#3b only lasted 4 8 minute flights before dying. That's pretty freakin' crappy if you ask me. The second motor has about 10 flights on it so far, but I keep flight times down to 3 minutes to avoid cooking the motor (it's still hot even in 3 minutes). I can get 2 3 minute flights out of a battery and it'll be recharged in about 20 minutes.

At some point I will upgrade to / get a brushless 4#3b. Other than the main motor frying, my 4#3b has been solid out of the box. I had some tail wag when I first flew it, but I balanced the tail rotors and the wag disappeared. I find this impressive since the 4#3b doesn't have a proportional pot on its receiver like my HBFP does.

Still, if I hadn't flown an HBFP previously I don't think I'd be able to hover the 4#3b (all I can do because I'm 'flying' in a 5' x 6' space in the kitchen) as easily as I have because it's very quick to respond. Luckily it'll take a hit better than my HBFP and most importantly, it doesn't leave scuff marks on the stove/fridge/freezer when a blade strike occurs.
Your short motor life/running time may indicate that the motor gears may be meshing too tight. It's better if the motor teeth are somewhat loose against the main drive gear. Some people use a sheet of paper to space the teeth before tightening the motor down. I just eyeball it.
Cheers
Old 02-03-2009, 02:32 PM
bassplayinDude

Your short motor life/running time may indicate that the motor gears may be meshing too tight. It's better if the motor teeth are somewhat loose against the main drive gear. Some people use a sheet of paper to space the teeth before tightening the motor down. I just eyeball it.
Cheers
I'm voluntarily only flying for 3 minutes at a clip. A fully charged stock battery can run at least two of these flights. I only keep the flight times down to keep motor temperatures down. I've got the mesh pretty loose and I've read at other forums this bird likes very loose main motor gear mesh, almost to the point of skipping.

Unfortunately, I've had no time to fly over the last two weeks. Heck, I've barely had time to come here.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:21 PM
mediclavina
Indoor/Outdoor Flyer

Originally Posted by capt. crash View Post
I'm thinking of getting a really small FP heli for indoors practice and I'm thinking of the walkera 4#3 with brushless. two questions:

1. Where is the best (read cheapest) place to get this little heli. I'd prefer to not get it off of the 'bay, and I've checked there anyways and didn't see a lot that hit it for me. I know there are several places to get this heli but for like $50 shipping, and that is a lot for a $100 heli.

2. Are there any other good FP alternative helis that are also really small? I want something for indoors, and can only do so much with my blade 400 inside before I run out of room (lol, even hovering inside can get a little dicey , but hey it's really taught me how to do some precision hovering ). I'm basically looking for a pretty good quality FP heli about the size/cost of the walkera 4#3 if possible. The tiny size is the main thing for me, I want something that will be a lot easier to fly inside than my B400. (well, i know more difficult to hover, but will have enough room to hover).

Thanks all.
Get an SRB Quark. It is a lot smaller and more stable than the Blade400.
Though much more expensive up front than most FP helis, it doesn't need any upgrade to make it fly. It's also a lot cheaper to repair after a crash than any other 4ch-6ch helis of the same size or smaller.

You need to minimize your repair cost since you're saving for your college education.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:39 PM
Twmaster

If you are looking to fly indoors the mCX is the heli to have. I have the mCX and the 4#3 and have owned the CX2 and Hirobo XRB Coax birds.

By far the mCX is the most fun for indoors. I fly it in my bedroom even.

It's easy to fly, fairly tough and has great parts support at most hobby shops.

The other helis are good IMHO. The mCX however is magnificent by comparison.

Last edited by Twmaster; 02-04-2009 at 08:34 AM.
Old 02-04-2009, 02:32 AM
mediclavina
Indoor/Outdoor Flyer

Originally Posted by Twmaster View Post
... Hirobo SRB Coax birds.
The SRB Quark is a single-rotor, not a coaxial. You're confusing between the SRB and XRB of Hirobo. The XRB is the coaxial.

Anyways, the SRB Quark is an excellent indoor flyer. I can hover mine within a 6 x 6 foot area. I can take my hands off the TX for 10 seconds without worry of crashing it. It's the first ever single-rotor heli capable of doing that (as far as I know).
Old 02-04-2009, 02:35 AM
Twmaster

I'm not confusing anything. Perhaps you should read my post again?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:22 AM
mediclavina
Indoor/Outdoor Flyer

I'm not confusing anything. Perhaps you should read my post again?
Well, I would advise you to read your own post that I quoted on.
Old 02-04-2009, 08:45 AM
Twmaster

Good Grief! you're getting worked up over a typo....

I know what the differences are between these helis. I own and fly a Mini-Shuttle and Lama XRB....

Sheesh.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:30 PM
mediclavina
Indoor/Outdoor Flyer

Good Grief! you're getting worked up over a typo....

I know what the differences are between these helis. I own and fly a Mini-Shuttle and Lama XRB....

Sheesh.
Your *typo* appeared right after my post about the SRB. By context, it can misinform a beginner.
Old 02-05-2009, 01:10 PM
4stripes

Originally Posted by bassplayinDude View Post
I'm voluntarily only flying for 3 minutes at a clip. A fully charged stock battery can run at least two of these flights. I only keep the flight times down to keep motor temperatures down. I've got the mesh pretty loose and I've read at other forums this bird likes very loose main motor gear mesh, almost to the point of skipping.

Unfortunately, I've had no time to fly over the last two weeks. Heck, I've barely had time to come here.
Are there any binding issues with the bearings? They need oil every once and a while. My friend just wore out the lower main shaft bearing completely (he never oiled the heli). The shaft suddenly became very loose and then we discovered the problem.

The motor may be on it's last legs (it has to work harder as it gets old). Have you a spare to try? The brushless conversion for the 4#3 never works up a sweat and is a good fix (if you can afford it).
Cheers
Old 02-06-2009, 06:42 PM
write2dgray
ProgressiveRC

Or possibly a mothed HoneyBee FP heli might suit you, like the fifth one listed here:

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43477

Cheers,
David
Old 02-12-2009, 09:51 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Landing gear
rotor blades
tail blades
tail rotor gear/shaft
tail boom
Cheers Eric
Ok, I've just recieved my new 4#3 brushless metal head version from wowhobbies, and I can now say... It is definately not more stable than my 4g3 3d one... I've tryed flying it outdoors in maybe 2-3mph winds, and it gets blown around a little.... the 3d one is stable and easy to fly in 8-10mph winds....and indoors it still doesn't seem to hold the head steady also doesn't have the headspeed necessary to keep it from slipping around... which is pretty much what I expected because it doesn't have an idle up mode... its still fun, and I'll prob let a few people try it out around where I live, but I'll be flying the 4g3 3d one instead... and I'll still be recommending the 4g3

Walkera micro heli's I now own....

4g3 - 3d -plastic head version (I have metal head ready to put togeather)
4#3 - fixed - metal head/brushless
5g6 - coax - metal head version

SK