Electric Ducted Fan Jets Discuss electric ducted fan jets here including setup tips, power systems, flying techniques, etc.

SkyAngel T-33

Old 07-17-2011, 02:49 AM
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Default SkyAngel T-33

As i posted in another thread: http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showpost.php?p=822803&postcount=404

This is my 1st EDF and it was a lousy build... Iím still gonna try and fly this thing but have a few questions Iím hoping others can help me with first.

1) When i attached the wings to the fuse they had big gaps. Rather than using tape for something that might rip off in flight, i decided to use Hot glue to fill the gaps. In doing so however, i may have inadvertently created about 2-3 degrees of dihedral when holding the wings tight while the glue dried. So my question here is dihedral a bad thing on an edf jet since it flies by thrust and not lift or will it actually make it a tad bit more stable in flight as it would on a trainer?

2) When I attached and tested all electronics, my motor beeps with a "throttle on" error with the stick set to zero. If i use the trim to reduce the throttle it binds and works normally. My question is this common with edf motors or am i asking for trouble by having to do it this way? Also, it seems each time i plug the battery in, it requires just one more click down each time before it initializes... any other way to fix this? I have the Dx6i btw.

Thanks,

-John
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0385.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	140.1 KB
ID:	150855   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG0386.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	140.8 KB
ID:	150856  
Old 07-17-2011, 02:55 AM
kenchiroalpha
Retired Master Chief USN

Hi John
Nice looking jet you have there
The wing issue is hard to answer, you will find out when you maiden her
What type of esc and motor does she have as that isnt right and would not operate her until a fix is found
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
Old 07-17-2011, 04:05 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

That T-33 looks great John.

I don't think the dihedral should be a big issue. If anything, it may handle better! And even though it's EDF, the wings still fly her, and the EDF just pushes. It is still an airplane, after all!

As far as the throttle issue, it just sounds like it thinks you have the throttle advanced when you put power on the plane. You didn't mention what brand ESC you have. I'm not familiar with many, but the E-Flite ESC in my PZ Corsair has a programmable feature called Throttle Input Range. (Hold on, I'll get to my point!) Someone else here observed that the throttle reached full long before the throttle stick does. By enabling this feature, you got a more even band of throttle control. It gives a warning in the instructions that if this feature is not set properly, it may not be possible to arm the ESC. So, I'm wondering if possibly your ESC has this feature and it's set wrong. Just a thought.

Good luck with it. Despite all the problems you encountered, she still is a looker.
Old 07-17-2011, 04:18 AM
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Originally Posted by kenchiroalpha View Post
Hi John
What type of esc and motor does she have as that isnt right and would not operate her until a fix is found
Take care dear friend
Yours Hank
Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
That T-33 looks great John.

As far as the throttle issue, it just sounds like it thinks you have the throttle advanced when you put power on the plane. You didn't mention what brand ESC you have. I'm not familiar with many, but the E-Flite ESC in my PZ Corsair has a programmable feature called Throttle Input Range. (Hold on, I'll get to my point!) Someone else here observed that the throttle reached full long before the throttle stick does. By enabling this feature, you got a more even band of throttle control. It gives a warning in the instructions that if this feature is not set properly, it may not be possible to arm the ESC. So, I'm wondering if possibly your ESC has this feature and it's set wrong. Just a thought.

Good luck with it. Despite all the problems you encountered, she still is a looker.
OPPS!!! I have this bad habit of throwing away instruction manuals with the box... But i did read it thoroughly and saw nothing on this subject, but i cant remember if it had the brand/specs for the esc...

It was a RR/ARF so all electronics were preinstalled, i just had to put her together. The website is not much help either http://www.skyangelrc.com/T-33.htm ... http://www.skyangelrc.com/electronics-ESC.htm

But your theory does seem to make sense mech...
Old 07-17-2011, 02:32 PM
Scruffy

Hiya John
The SkyAngel/JPowers Mig-15 is my second edf. The T-33 is supposed to be one of the best flyers in the 50mm series. Couple of things though. Make sure the fan doesn't rub the shrould. Some ppl run them up a few times to "break it in" That might be a good idea or not like I said this is only my second edf. Some of the fans are balanced some are not. If you can balance it you will be ahead of the game my org. fan lasted about 1min. Launching can be very tricky look at some of the youtube vids on it. Right CoG is a must!!! you might have to play with it a lot of ppl say go with the picture and not there mm
Heres a link to a very long read some of the manuals and re CoG info in there. Have fun its a great plane. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158665
Old 07-17-2011, 02:58 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Originally Posted by jap71173 View Post
OPPS!!! I have this bad habit of throwing away instruction manuals with the box...
Might I make a suggestion? I keep a 3 ring binder with clear sleeves in it. Each sleeve contains the airplane instructions along with it's ESC, motor, UBEC, rcvr, whatever is on that plane. I try to remember to bring it to the field every time I fly, just in case. Mind you, I only have 4 planes so far, so maybe I won't be able to keep up in the future!
Old 08-14-2011, 10:31 AM
jap71173
BigWatts.shutterfly.com

Originally Posted by Scruffy View Post
Hiya John
The SkyAngel/JPowers Mig-15 is my second edf. The T-33 is supposed to be one of the best flyers in the 50mm series. Couple of things though. Make sure the fan doesn't rub the shrould. Some ppl run them up a few times to "break it in" That might be a good idea or not like I said this is only my second edf. Some of the fans are balanced some are not. If you can balance it you will be ahead of the game my org. fan lasted about 1min. Launching can be very tricky look at some of the youtube vids on it. Right CoG is a must!!! you might have to play with it a lot of ppl say go with the picture and not there mm
Heres a link to a very long read some of the manuals and re CoG info in there. Have fun its a great plane. http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1158665
Well, I don't have a video but i got to maiden this edf today and i have to say... it performed MUCH better than i expected. Again, this is my 1st edf powered jet and i was a bit nervous about flying it... but after waiting so long to get out to my flying field, i felt like i had nothing to lose and tossed it, punched WOT and it flew great.

The only negative things i can say about it other than it was sloppy to build is that it lack's power... the stock setup is lame and I have a f4u Corsair than can do twice the speed of this thing. I tried pulling off a high G maneuver and it stalled... luckily I was high enough to recover and continued normal flight.

On my second flight however the battery crap’d out on me after only 3 min and was scorching hot to the touch... So i put the bird on my wattmeter and on the stock 3S 850mAh 20C battery it was reading 205 watts @ 18amps... i then realized the stock battery was maxed out at 17amps continuous... (I’m using a 1000 30C now)

Now i know why the pros ALWAYS check the electronic setup on meters before flight... I just never had to till now.

I was just lucky enough to avoid two potential crashes with it today so i'm a happy camper...

Thank you all who helped with advice and confidence building!!!
Old 08-14-2011, 01:47 PM
bbqflyer

That's awesome that she flew well Jap! EDF's are addictive though. My 1st EDF is the F9F from HL, and now I have a PZ Habu and working on a couple of new ones.
Wattmeters are nice to have, huh? Saved my but a few times too.

side note - as you've done by increasing battery you can gain speed, the skyangels are just not built for much of it. They are great little backyard edf's and not meant to tear a hole through the sky.
Hopefully you can get some video of it flying for us soon!
Old 08-14-2011, 03:01 PM
Scruffy

Gratz on the maiden jap
I flew my Mig this morning. I changed it around a bit. I took the org. power unit out and put one of these in http://www.toysonics.com/gws-50mm-5-...gwedf050e.html

Its was pretty much a drop in for my Mig, its lighter than the org. one and it gives it a little more ummph. I was able to drop some of the weight I had in the nose. I'm useing 1000mah 30c batts in it. they say they really wake up on a 4s batt. but with this combo its pretty good on 3s. The mig is plenty fast for me now and it looks great in the air. Pulled about 18-19a tested on my watt meter so I stayed with the org. esc. Yes they are addictive