General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

UMX Beast vs Micro t-28

Old 12-11-2011, 03:35 AM
mitrocus

Default UMX Beast vs Micro t-28

Which plane would be a good intermedate plane, the UMX beast or the Micro t-28?
Old 12-11-2011, 03:47 AM
dumo01
dumo01

Might be easier to say if we knew what micro types you had flown before. I do not have the um T28, but I do have the um p51, SU 26 and SU 26XP and the Corsair and have seen a number of people fly the umT28 so I guess I have a pretty decent feel for how it would compare to my um Beast. The Beast is a fair amount faster and more agile. It is clearly a more advanced plane. Having said that, it is also a lot of fun to fly, although I am not comfortable ( yet) flying the Best in a crowded, indoor setting that I will fly my other micros in. From what I have seen and read about the new version of the um Beast that is supposed to release around the end of the year, it will be a more stable aircraft, but still retains the speed of my older version.
Old 12-11-2011, 05:07 AM
Wildflyer
Past President of PSSF

Between those two, I would go with the Beast as long as it is the new one with the new AS3X system. UM's are tricky at any time, so the new stabilizer would be great.
Old 12-15-2011, 04:11 PM
Sakai's Freedom Flight
aka: "Jim"

Originally Posted by Wildflyer View Post
Between those two, I would go with the Beast as long as it is the new one with the new AS3X system. UM's are tricky at any time, so the new stabilizer would be great.
Wildflyer's absolutely correct here, and I bought the new AS3X digi-gyro stabilized Beasty bird to help turn an "iffy" day with typical coastal winds into a "fly" day. But the Beast is more delicate than the T-28 and repairs more involved so I wouldn't fly her without high confidence. This bird is just so beautiful!
Now the T-28 on the other hand is thankfully rugged and I have bashed one up solidly learning with her. She keeps on flying, too.
Old 12-16-2011, 11:13 PM
sparky1963
UK fixed-wing & heli dude

I have both aircraft and personally I find the (original) Beast easier and much more enjoyable to fly, than the T-28.
Although the T-28 is undisputedly a pretty scale subject, the Beast is a superb looking model & (even on static display) a thrilling addition to a micro hangar.
The Beast has more power and can be airborne with a very short takeoff run.
T-28 is relatively underpowered and needs a longer run (more than double) before it reaches flying speed.
I find my T-28 more susceptible to stalling in a turn, if I have insufficient speed, so in a way, this might be the more educational aircraft, for an intermediate pilot learning about the aerodynamics of aileron turns.
The Beast will fly a lot slower but also, with more power on tap, it can haul you out of trouble, if needed.
If you are a quick learner, you might find that you'll outgrow the T-28 sooner. The Beast should keep you smiling for a lot longer, especially with AS3X
*these are only my opinions, based on ownership.
Old 12-23-2011, 09:07 PM
Sakai's Freedom Flight
aka: "Jim"

Thanks, UK Sparky.
With your description of the original UMX Beast I've confidence now to pull her out of her box and get over the fear of cracking her up until I learn more with the UM T-28. My plan/scheme is: AS3X version training first, then try the original. One of them's got to hang on fishing line in a twisted, impossible pose in the study to honor pilot Bryan Jensen, killed this summer in Kansas City flying the real Beast.
Godspeed and Merry Christmas, all!