General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Why I love ARF's...

Old 12-17-2011, 03:43 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Default Why I love ARF's...

Last Saturday I picked up my new (used) Airfield P-51 1400mm. Waht a beauty! In mostly good shape, but needs some TLC, setup, etc, to get it in ship-shape. I've been waiting most of this week for a night with time to work on it in hopes of getting it ready to fly Saturday.

Well, it's this, that, or the other thing. Tonight, I thought, pick up my son from school on my way home from work, quick dinner, and get to work.

No.

I'll spare the details. My wife is now digging up paperwork on her student loan as she has chosen tonight to have me describe the details, so here I am typing this while I wait...

I'd never be able to finish a full build plane in this century...

I appreciate and would love to build a kit, but thank the lord for ARF's...
Old 12-17-2011, 03:48 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by xmech2k View Post
Last Saturday I picked up my new (used) Airfield P-51 1400mm. Waht a beauty! In mostly good shape, but needs some TLC, setup, etc, to get it in ship-shape. I've been waiting most of this week for a night with time to work on it in hopes of getting it ready to fly Saturday.

Well, it's this, that, or the other thing. Tonight, I thought, pick up my son from school on my way home from work, quick dinner, and get to work.

No.

I'll spare the details. My wife is now digging up paperwork on her student loan as she has chosen tonight to have me describe the details, so here I am typing this while I wait...

your right arf are great, they save time, and are cheaper over all, you cant buy all the glue, wood and covering ect, to make it any cheaper and will get you out flying faster, I hate to build kits, it takes to long, I would rather be out flying LOL
Old 12-17-2011, 04:12 AM
Fishbonez
Love my Stinger

I couldnt agree more Chellie to add to that INMHO ARFs are great for learning. When I bought my Wild HAwk in a ARF version I learned/experimented with ways to modify or improve it to my own liking and helped me to get ready for the next step of a kit,
Old 12-17-2011, 04:16 AM
tobydogs
love to build!

you are lucky to be living in a year round warm climate area chellie,must say,building has kept me sane during the winter months.

but i agree 100% that arf's are great! 3dhs extras or slicks fly great and are inexpensive to buy ,build ,and replace if nessasary...lol.

the foamy pusher jets are a blast to fly,and i don't have the same drive to get started building like i used to....once started ,i'm hooked!!
Old 12-17-2011, 06:22 AM
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

I am crazy about building but I certainly understand how life can be way too busy to build.

I am building several planes but sometimes they just sit and wait for me to get to it. Like today, I was fortunate enough to have some dispensable cash (almost never happens) and I have wanted a 50" or larger Mustang forever. There aren't many decent kits out there to build up that isn't a brick and needs a 1.20 glow engine. So, I finally bought an E-Flite .32e size P-51B and I won't have to do anything except the final assembly.

Sometimes it is just cool to open a box with a nearly finished shinny ARF inside. This P-51B is a beautiful one and I always wanted one with flaps and retracts...Can't wait to start that final assembly!

Someday you will probably have the time to build something special.

Dave
Old 12-17-2011, 07:25 AM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by Fishbonez View Post
I couldnt agree more Chellie to add to that INMHO ARFs are great for learning. When I bought my Wild HAwk in a ARF version I learned/experimented with ways to modify or improve it to my own liking and helped me to get ready for the next step of a kit,
I built a Ultimate BiPlane 40 size from a GP kit, took about 2 months of spare time, I went out and bought a New Airtronics Computer radio so i would not have to worry about radio problems, Wrong, the Airtronic radio system gave out on the 3rd time using it, had fully charged batteries too, there went 2 months of work No More Airtronic radios for me too

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
you are lucky to be living in a year round warm climate area chellie,must say,building has kept me sane during the winter months.

but i agree 100% that arf's are great! 3dhs extras or slicks fly great and are inexpensive to buy ,build ,and replace if nessasary...lol.

the foamy pusher jets are a blast to fly,and i don't have the same drive to get started building like i used to....once started ,i'm hooked!!
I can understand the living in cold weather limits your flying and keeps you indoors, thats when its great to build kits

Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
I am crazy about building but I certainly understand how life can be way too busy to build.

I am building several planes but sometimes they just sit and wait for me to get to it. Like today, I was fortunate enough to have some dispensable cash (almost never happens) and I have wanted a 50" or larger Mustang forever. There aren't many decent kits out there to build up that isn't a brick and needs a 1.20 glow engine. So, I finally bought an E-Flite .32e size P-51B and I won't have to do anything except the final assembly.

Sometimes it is just cool to open a box with a nearly finished shinny ARF inside. This P-51B is a beautiful one and I always wanted one with flaps and retracts...Can't wait to start that final assembly!

Someday you will probably have the time to build something special.

Dave
Dave, Dont forget than when your done with the Mustang, That I get to do the Maiden flight on it LOL, Take care everyone, Chellie
Old 12-17-2011, 08:46 AM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Well, I finished getting the Mustang ready! Sorry to vent, y'all. Thanks for listening.

Of course it's WAY past my usual bed time, since I'm used to getting up at 4am for work.

I've always wanted to build this one since I first saw it:

http://www.airagestore.com/planes/br...-defender.html

I know it might be a leap for a first build, but I figured, a box for a fuselage, straight wings, no retracts to deal with... Couldn't be too bad.

Anyways, I guess for now I just have to be happy to do some soldering, install a rcvr and set up control throws and the like... Just glad i have the funds and a place to do it!

Hopefully the weather will cooperate in the AM and I can check back in with the maiden results. Chellie, when are you available to do the maiden on this one?
Old 12-17-2011, 09:15 AM
payne9999
That's gonna leave a mark

Chellie,

We are 1500 miles apart, but if you were here I would let you fly it. I know you are a great pilot.

I have always wanted to flip that one switch that never gets used and see the landing gear tuck up. I dunno why I think that is so cool.

Xmech2k,

Good luck tomorrow, I am sure it will fly nice. I am hoping for good weather too.

Dave
Old 12-17-2011, 12:21 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Well, I finished getting the Mustang ready! Sorry to vent, y'all. Thanks for listening.

Of course it's WAY past my usual bed time, since I'm used to getting up at 4am for work.

I've always wanted to build this one since I first saw it:

http://www.airagestore.com/planes/br...-defender.html

I know it might be a leap for a first build, but I figured, a box for a fuselage, straight wings, no retracts to deal with... Couldn't be too bad.

Anyways, I guess for now I just have to be happy to do some soldering, install a rcvr and set up control throws and the like... Just glad i have the funds and a place to do it!

Hopefully the weather will cooperate in the AM and I can check back in with the maiden results. Chellie, when are you available to do the maiden on this one?
Anytime But i will be nice and let you do the maiden on this one only because its a twin, and i am not cert on a twin Yet
Old 12-17-2011, 12:22 PM
CHELLIE
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by payne9999 View Post
Chellie,

We are 1500 miles apart, but if you were here I would let you fly it. I know you are a great pilot.

I have always wanted to flip that one switch that never gets used and see the landing gear tuck up. I dunno why I think that is so cool.

Xmech2k,

Good luck tomorrow, I am sure it will fly nice. I am hoping for good weather too.

Dave
Darn, thats a drive Ok you can do the maiden flight, But only this time
Old 12-17-2011, 05:56 PM
plastic northerner

Originally Posted by stuart View Post
you are lucky to be living in a year round warm climate area chellie,must say,building has kept me sane during the winter months
Hi,
you want to be in the UK or maybe not, the weather is just to bad for someone new to flying like me to even try and fly a plane. O well roll on Summer,

Ron
Old 12-17-2011, 08:13 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

I love both aspects AND RTF's ....

For me flying is a love and whichever way I get to it is fine.

Years ago - RTF was not heard of .. ARTF was a joke and still needed extensive building ... Kits were real KITS !

I would get a new kit and wife wouldn't see me for days !!

My 50" span Scale Nieuport 28 I entered in a Regional Comp in UK ... places 8th against famous named RC'rs ... They didn't believe I bought kit on wednesday, built through to Thursday when painted, test flew Friday ... comp was Saturday / Sunday.
Old 12-17-2011, 10:50 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Well, maiden went well. At least I wasn't as nervous as when I maidened the Turbojet. I could hardly hold the sticks I was shaking so bad!

Did break a prop blade on the 2nd landing, but my buddy had a spare. Lucky I ordered some last week, maybe I'll get those soon.

My buddy has the yellow Mustang, and we put on a pretty good show for the guys. It was pretty gusty winds, though, and I think being used already, she's got a few loose things that need tightening up, as she didn't behave too well in a few maneuvers, so I was never totally comfortable. So I got 3 good flights, and now some pireps to fix before the next session.

Luckily, I also brought the trusty PZ Corsair. Man she just flies sooooo sweet, and I raced my buddy with his Mustang. Suprizingly, in level flight it looks like the Corsair may be a little faster!

Another guy successfully maidened his Pitts, don't know the maker, but it's a built-up wood one, and another guy maidened his NP P-38. Flew great, but had issues with the retracts and the nose gear was flopping in the wind before he even landed, so it got a little nose job. Too bad we couldn't have done formation with 2 Mustangs and a Lightning!
Old 12-17-2011, 11:36 PM
Bill G
Super Contrubutor

Last Saturday I picked up my new (used) Airfield P-51 1400mm. What a beauty! In mostly good shape, but needs some TLC, setup, etc, to get it in ship-shape. I've been waiting most of this week for a night with time to work on it in hopes of getting it ready to fly Saturday.

No.

The Airfield models are a good reason for you to like ARFs. They have the only Stuka that I know of that is beautiful, and reasonably priced. The only other option other than the smaller TT, is to put in the hard work involved in building a decent one. Otherwise, one could buy the expensive Great Planes version, that is a rough, built-up rendition of a Stuka.

Move in here and we'll fix you right up, in short order. Your current marriage and any other life that you have may suffer though.