Indoor & Micro Electric Planes Talk about indoor & Micro electric powered flight here

UM P-51 elevator servo issue

Old 07-04-2013, 03:13 PM
jtcarn

Default UM P-51 elevator servo issue

I have an e-Flite UM P-51 that i can't seem to get any elevator servo throw out of. I've tried moving all over the control horn, but that doesn't help. When I look at the servo, there is plently of room for the arm to travel more, but it doesn't.

While it is set at 100% now, I did max out the throw to 125% (I know 0 youre not supposed to) but that didnt really do anything either.

This is an older plane with plenty of time on it. Is this just a sign of a failing or "tired" servo, or is there a fix?
Old 07-04-2013, 05:18 PM
xmech2k
Ya got any Beeman's?

Is that E-Flite, or Parkzone? I know, kinda the same, but I was looking for one on E-Flite's site and couldn't find it. You said it's an older one, so is it this one from PZ? Ultra Micro P-51

If it is, I have a couple of Blade heli's with the same servos. I've had a couple were a stray microscopic speck gets into a gear and causes jamming. I had to use a magnifying glass and x-acto knife to clean it up and just about reshape and clean the gear teeth to get it going again. But in this case, it was intermittent jamming, and you could hear the servo fighting to move. Is that what you're experiencing?
Old 07-04-2013, 05:46 PM
jtcarn

Thanks xmech. I actually don't know but I could swear it is an e-flite. This isn't intermittent, just acts like this is the way it is supposed to be.
Old 07-04-2013, 08:18 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Ultra micro with the linear servos?

Since it sounds like you opened the plane to access the RX and servos... with the plane turned off hand wind the servo to appx 1/2 of max up throw.

Does the elevator position then look appropriate? And more than what you have been getting?

Then turn the radio back on and the servo should center. Does it then not move as far as what you hand wound it to?

If yes to all you may have an issue that is only fixable by replacement of the circuit board. The "resistance track" the servo uses to sens position can wear out.
Old 07-05-2013, 07:01 PM
Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace

The other thing to look at is the control horn and the hinges.
The horn can crush the foam eventually and when the control rod moves, so does the arm for a bit before the rudder turns.

Also if it's like the Champ, the control horn is mounted at the weakest part of the rudder, wear and tear and the rudder gives right there and the rest of it is slow to follow.

Lastly the hinges, weak or torn, and the rudder will push/pull, forward and backwards as it turns, causing less throw.