Sport Planes (Formerly I/C & Gas Conversion) Discuss I/C or Gas Conversions, Aerobatic Planes and Sport Aircraft

Green Models 50" Tiger Moth Conversion

Old 10-23-2006, 05:30 PM
Ram1500

I flew the Tiger this weekend with the new battery and prop set up and, 2x2100 TP lipos, 11x8apc. WOW what a difference. I also moved the cg back about .75inch. Flew with much authority, 50%-60% throttle setting was plenty for straight and level flight. No problems with loops from straight and level. Rolls and point rolls looked great. Inverted flight was hands off, no pitch change. Full power up to a stall turn, very nice....

So far I'm really enjoy this plane.....
Old 10-23-2006, 06:18 PM
Nobert

Gus,
Where did your CG end up?
Thanks,
Neal
Old 10-23-2006, 07:10 PM
Twmaster

Ram that is really great news. I have been stalled on my Tiggie as I have been kinda burned out on planes and very short on time the last 6 months or so.

I'm glad to see that a little changing of the prop and power set did it for you. I'll try to get mine down off the shelf and get some work done shortly. I -hope- it can be ready for spring as it is beginning to get cold here and I'll likely suspend flying until spring.
Old 10-23-2006, 07:55 PM
Ram1500

Originally Posted by Nobert View Post
Gus,
Thanks,
Neal

I will take an exact measurement when I get home tonight and let you know.
Old 10-24-2006, 12:36 AM
dimadee
Kontrol Freak

I flew the Tiger this weekend with the new battery and prop set up and, 2x2100 TP lipos, 11x8apc. WOW what a difference. I also moved the cg back about .75inch. Flew with much authority, 50%-60% throttle setting was plenty for straight and level flight. No problems with loops from straight and level. Rolls and point rolls looked great. Inverted flight was hands off, no pitch change. Full power up to a stall turn, very nice....

So far I'm really enjoy this plane.....
Hi Gus,

I am glad to hear that it worked out so well!
Old 10-24-2006, 03:15 AM
Ram1500

Originally Posted by Nobert View Post
Gus,
Thanks,
Neal

Actual measurement from leading edge back is 4.5" with the plane level (no nose down attitude). This cg is actually at the aft mark of the recommended cg in the manual. Guess I was way off initially for some reason.

thanks
Gus
Old 10-24-2006, 06:12 AM
Nobert

Gus,
Thanks for the measurement. My MaxAmps batteries should arrive tomorrow. I'm using a BM3520 on 4S1P driving an APC 12x8. I'll balance per your recommendation. MC says 16MPH stall at 73oz. 400 Watts in 30Amps at 13.6V. Should be quite a performer. Most likely using 1/2 throttle most of the time.
Neal

Last edited by Nobert; 10-25-2006 at 12:21 AM.
Old 11-07-2006, 08:43 PM
green127045

Default Flight Times

What has been the average flight time with 4200 mAh Li-Po batteries I will have the Hobby-Lobby version under the x-mas tree and wondering if I will need a bigger battery 5000 mAh???

Thanks

James
Old 11-08-2006, 06:33 AM
Geoff_Gino
Geoff Ogden

Flying my Green R/C with a 3,2 amp pack and getting 7 minute flights with about 20% in the tank when I land.
Old 11-08-2006, 02:38 PM
Piperfan

With 2 TP 11.1v 2100mha packs in series I have been averaging about 8-9 minutes. I am changing to a Hyperion 14.8v 3300 pack soon. I will have to rework the battery compartment to accomodate the larger pack. I have figured this packs dimensions as the one that will fit without to much modification to the nose/firewall. Upping the voltage and will boost rpms, lower amperage draw and hopefully give longer flight times some were in the 12 to 13 minute range.
Old 12-17-2006, 03:34 AM
Ram1500

If anyone is interested in this beauty, I'm planning to part with it. No reason why other than moving to other projects. Immaculate condition, will try to post pics.

Gus
Old 12-18-2006, 02:51 AM
Ram1500

Here's a link to pics.

http://s38.photobucket.com/albums/e1.../Tiger%20Moth/

ready to fly less receiver and one of two 2100 lip packs

$300 bucks.

thanks
Old 12-18-2006, 04:08 PM
dpaul

I'm interested. Could you please list the installed components (servos, ESC, motor)? Also, does your price include shipping? (Boston MA 02445)

DP
Old 12-19-2006, 05:08 AM
Ram1500

DP,

HS 81's on ailerons and I believe HS85's on rudder and elevator (don't want to take wing off unless I have to) The flying wires are all functional.

E-flite 25 outrunner motor
E-flite 40 amp speed controller
APC 11x8 prop
1 - 2100 TP lipo battey, also comes with a y harness to run 2 packs parallel
base mounted antenna

I'll include shipping in that price

Thanks
Old 12-21-2006, 03:04 PM
willyb

I am in the final stages of assembly of a Hobby Lobby Elec. version of the Tiger Moth. Does anyone know the wing incidences of this plane? As mine is assembled with the horizontal stab at 0 degrees the lower wing is also at 0 degrees. Each lower wingtip has about 1-2 degrees washout. The upper wing is about 1/2 degree negative incidence to the lower wing. There is no wash out in the upper wing. I imagine this is close enough as I understand that some acrobatic bipes have neg. incidence in the upper wing; better inverted flight I guess. Any thoughts re incidence and wash out for bipes would be appreciated. I haven't tightened up my flying wires yet.

Thanks for the help.

Bill

(The Fly R/C review on this plane said they were able to assemble it in 4 hours Was anyone else able to do it that fast?)
Old 01-24-2007, 06:10 PM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

I just took delivery of Gus' (Ram1500) TM. I am not sure what I expected but this thing is beautiful. I've got a pair of 2200 16c lipos coming for it so I should have it in the air this weekend.

Aside from the difference in batteries I'm using Gus' setup. Any comments on what to expect?
Old 01-30-2007, 11:12 PM
Dr Hair

Default Flying the beast!

I also have the Green Models TM with a Mega Motors 22/30/3E inrunner, 12x8 APC, 4S1P 3900 lipos and I've found flight to be problematic!

Initially, I tried 8 cell NiMhs from a very smooth grass strip and flight was achieved but very underpowered. No problem with ground turning/looping. That first flight ended crashing into a tree because the controls were very twitchy. But no damage done!

Subsequent flights included a low stall from attempting take off too soon (still underpowered NiMhs). More serious repairs needed.

A recent flight with the lipos was nearly great - even with longer wet grass, the ROG was easy, some ground looping controlled by rudder and off! - Straight into another very steep climb, threatening a stall.

Fortunately, the new power from the lipos kept it going and I throttled off/levelled off at quite some height. The controls were still way too twitchy but useable but every time power was increased, the bird kept going vertical. A few unintended loops later, I throttled right back and brought her in for a perfect slow landing!! Adrenaline euphoria!!

From this, I have learnt:

Short grass, hard surface is best for ROG
Very susceptible to rearward COG - I gather this type of plane naturally ascends with greater power and wrong COG worsens this into a potential stall
Lipos are best but need to go far forward as lesser weight causes COG problems
Reduce throws on control surfaces or add lots of exponential
12x8 too big and flies too fast but is needed to ROG in long grass. Smooth tarmac would be fine for smaller props.

Next time - a perfect flight

Last edited by Dr Hair; 01-30-2007 at 11:16 PM. Reason: grammar
Old 01-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

Sounds like you may need some down thrust. If she flies well until you pour on the throttle, that is a good indicator. If she if flying slightly nose up, you may still be a little tail heavy.

It's been too windy to maiden her (new to me anyway) so I can't say how typical that is.

One question about the bottom wing, at the root, my wing has a gap at the leading edge. In other words it is not flush against the fuselage. How about yours?
Old 01-31-2007, 10:00 PM
Dr Hair

No more downthrust needed - I've already put in extra right and downthrust on top of the inbuilt thrust lines - quite visibly so. I'm sure it is partly the natural flying tendency plus not putting the lipos quite as forward as needed - right up against the cowl. I do not want to add lead if possible. Afterall, the much heavier NiMhs didn't seem to have a COG problem, just the controls were a bit twitchy for a too windy day on a maiden flight and nearby trees!
Having read the earlier thread about build quality, I've checked it over and it's all spot on - no gaps, all square and symmetrical.
I love the looks and I'm sure the next flight will be fantastic (so long as the grass is dry and gets cut!!).

PS I think the difference in COG depends on what the correct angle should be ie the tail should be up at COG, not the fuselage level. This subtle difference will be enough to cause my problems, particularly with the extra power available with 4S lipos. Probably less critical with heavy NiMhs and less power. My motor is only 230g but can put out 700w (averages about 350w on Wattmeter) which is enough for my 4 1/2 lb TM (with lipo). With NiMh (220g heavier), I struggled to get over 300w max. Obviously, 700w is enough for near vertical performance but it's unlikely to actually achieve that in flight. Also, I didn't use full throttle during the flight nor used elevator to go vertical - it just started climbing steeply, not going faster horizontally.

I'm sure an IC engine plus fuel must weigh more and further forward than my initial lipo set up.

Last edited by Dr Hair; 01-31-2007 at 10:20 PM. Reason: More info
Old 02-03-2007, 11:34 PM
Dr Hair

Red face

Aaaarrrggghhh!
Total wipeout!!
Some electronic glitch took over and threw the TM to earth. At speed. I'm just amazed there is anything left- fuselage is pretty well (perfectly) intact except motor mount but 3 out of 4 wing halves have got major (just possibly repairable) damage.
The annoying thing is, it took a couple of goes to ROG but it was off the ground OK and flying at speed and level with good height, when suddenly it turned over and headed straight for the ground. Nothing to do with me. Just when I thought I'd sorted the COG. Definitely a gremlin, not pilot error!
The only good thing about converting heavily built IC models, is that they survive crashing better.
Old 02-04-2007, 11:26 PM
Twmaster

I'm never going to finish mine. I just don't have the time or interest any longer. (heh and I started this thread too...)

--
Mike N
Old 02-06-2007, 01:24 AM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

Sorry to hear about that - Dr. Hair AND Twmaster.

I'm still waiting to maiden mine. The wind has been terrible.

I plugged all the info I have into Motor Cal and although Ram1500 had success using an 11x8 E prop, Motor Cal said that it is a 97% combo. They recommended using a 13x8 E instead which is a 100% match so I'm going to go with that for its first flight. Hopefully the wind will hold down this weekend (or maybe Wednesday).
Old 02-06-2007, 09:47 PM
Solid Hit
Just call me ... Bill

Holy mackerel! I just put a watt meter on the 13x8 setup and my watts jumped from 300 using the 11x8 to about 450 with the larger prop.
Old 02-07-2007, 12:06 AM
Dr Hair

Smile

Shame about your build Twmaster - I'm glad you started the thread as I've learnt a lot about getting this plane off the ground!
Wattmeters are essential in electrics - I don't know how I coped without it.
The good news is the wings should be repairable - most of the wings are intact but the roots shredded. My only worry is making the repairs strong enough (but not too heavy) for them to cope with flight or reasonably heavy landings.
Good luck with the maiden!
Old 02-07-2007, 03:54 AM
Twmaster

The truth is I've kind of lost interest in the entire hobby. Just haven't been having much fun with the planes. Anyways, I am going to sell this one and a lot of others I have. I was going to just leave the hobby but I think I'll just go slow this year and only concentrate on a few models.

--
Mike N

Quick Reply: Green Models 50" Tiger Moth Conversion

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.

Page generated in 0.15431 seconds with 11 queries