RC Radios, Transmitters, Receivers, Servos, gyros Discussion all about rc radios, transmitters, receivers, servos, etc.

figured out the dx8 glider programming

Old 05-28-2015, 03:09 AM
Wrongway-Feldman

Default figured out the dx8 glider programming

There was a post I read a while back where someone asked about throttle control when setting up a model as a sail plane in the dx8.
I can't find the post now so I thought I'd share here and hopefully that person can find this thread.
From what I understood that poster was new to gliders and the dx8 as I am.
My hurdle was getting the throttle to work on the left stick as when setting up a model in acro mode.
By default the throttle is inhibited in glider mode.
After much reading I came to the conclusion that the glider template is intended out of the box for motorless gliders. The solution by most was to put the throttle on a switch.
I'm not too fond of that solution as i like throttle control on the stick particularly when landing.
The dx8 actually makes it quite easy to set it up for both scenarios.
I simply used the flight modes setup to create 3 completely different configurations.
One is set as a standard configuration with throttle on the left stick and a standard three position flap setup.
A second configuration now has throttle disabled and crow controlled by the left stick. Full forward stick is neutral surfaces and as the left stick is pulled back crow is enabled. Camber/reflex is controlled by the knob.
A third configuration is similar to the first but instead of flaps I have it setup for spoilers on the flap switch.

What I really like about this setup is all the mixes required are preset and only switch assignment and travel values need to be changed.

This seems almost too easy to set up and makes me think I may have missed something.
Please let me know if I did.
Old 05-28-2015, 07:35 PM
AndyKunz
Spektrum Dev Team

That's exactly how it was intended to be used. The DX8 is a very old design (almost 7 years now) and is a bit hampered by the limitations that are imposed by the hardware, but it does a respectable job for most modelers, judging by the huge volumes that were sold. The new line of radio doesn't suffer from those constraints, and was designed from the start to be much more glider-capable.

Andy
Old 05-28-2015, 10:13 PM
Wrongway-Feldman

Wow, i actually did something right.
I picked the dx8 last year when my 9xr got caught in a basement flood.
I've since picked up another 9xr and would use it more if I could ever figure out opentx.