Why do they use weak foam ??? - Page 6 - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Why do they use weak foam ???

Old 12-18-2008, 02:48 PM
Max Jones
helmethead R/C

Default arcel foam

Originally Posted by jimweda View Post
As you've probably already found out, fan-fold isn't any tougher than depron but the upside is that it is a cheap alternative to depron and is usually pretty easy to find at most Lowe's, Home Depot or big home improvement or building supply stores. I really like depron, but when funds are tight you can make a whole lot of planes out of a stack of fan-fold and I've seen some amazing planes made out of it. With the way the economy has been heading I see a lot of fan-fold planes in my future. I wish there was a source for Elapor foam. If anyone has any idea where to get some of this stuff I'd really appreciate the info. From what I understand, its Multiplex's own type of foam but I know you can get Aerocell which is what Great Planes uses on some of their foamies, I was thinking maybe there is a way to get Elapor.

Jim
Jim
I believe that this is just about the same as elepor(looks like it anyway) It is a styrene polyethelene alloy...interesting! Alhttp://rcfoam.com/cart.php?target=category&category_id=74
Old 12-18-2008, 04:58 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by Max Jones View Post
Just my 2 cents worth...there is not a better LOOKING foam for scratchbuilding than depron. I build and sell small airplanes, all made of depron. A small airframe is very tough in depron, and can be built lighter than ANY other material. No other type of foam can do what depron does. It does take practise to manipulate depron, but in the right hands, it becomes an artist's medium. The cost is reasonable.
very nice looking planes...

SK
Old 12-18-2008, 05:02 PM
ministeve2003
Class Clown

Originally Posted by Max Jones View Post
I believe that this is just about the same as elepor(looks like it anyway) It is a styrene polyethelene alloy...interesting! Al
http://rcfoam.com/cart.php?target=ca...category_id=74
I got some of that type of foam in a package of something aways back, If I remember right, it was extreemly rigid, but was very heavy... although the rcfoam add says its lightweight...so I'm not sure...

SK
Old 12-19-2008, 04:29 AM
Max Jones
helmethead R/C

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
very nice looking planes...

SK
thank you very much...they fly!!
Old 12-19-2008, 04:42 AM
Max Jones
helmethead R/C

Default multiplex elapor

Originally Posted by ministeve2003 View Post
I got some of that type of foam in a package of something aways back, If I remember right, it was extreemly rigid, but was very heavy... although the rcfoam add says its lightweight...so I'm not sure...

SK
i don't buy ready builts at all, but I did get to inspect a multiplex 'Gemini" bipe a while back...it is made of elapor foam. The airframe was obviously "injection molded" and was not too heavy, although there was a lot of material there. I have a biplane approximately the same size as the gemini made out of depron that weighs exactly half what the gemini does(although I use a much smaller motor in mine-probably a lighter battery,too).
A lighter plane, generally handles moderate crashes better than a heavier one-it's that old "inertia" thing. If a brick could fly you'd never need to repair it..would you? Al
Old 12-19-2008, 05:01 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

I've followed this thread for awhile and as I've built a mess of Planes out of the weakest crap foam known to man,,,, Chunk Gliders,,, Once you learn to spar um um up light you can use near any-foam available to you, Barbie skewers and dowels are the hot set-up, I was outta work for awhile an these were all I could afford to build, I'm work'in now but still like build'in these things, bub, steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 105.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	89.8 KB
ID:	87192   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 793.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	215.0 KB
ID:	87193   Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 808.jpg
Size:	171.9 KB
ID:	87194   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 466.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	150.9 KB
ID:	87195   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 510.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	113.2 KB
ID:	87196  

Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 494.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	87197   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 714.jpg
Size:	100.0 KB
ID:	87198   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 770.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	87199   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 762.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	198.0 KB
ID:	87200   Click image for larger version

Name:	petty an red 760.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	221.5 KB
ID:	87201  

Old 12-20-2008, 04:28 AM
diverdon

Originally Posted by jimweda View Post
Fortunately for me, I picked up flying very quickly but I'm always open to new, better and cheaper building materials that are durable but they also need to be easy to work with. I would think in your case, EPP would be the way to go until you get the hang of flying. If you don't already have one, I would highly recommend a flight simulator. I know its helped me tremendously and I didn't fly my first plane until I could safely land one in the sim. Just a thought that might save you some money as well.

Jim
Hello Jim , Thanks for the nice reply .. I feel the same way .. Pretty sure a bunch of prople are saying .. "Learn How To Fly !! " I could be wrong I also feel all of us as a group stick together pretty good ... I am from before the Video Game Era the younger people have a better chance in general from playing a lot of video games I think (Maybe) ??

Anyhow I love flying , or trying .. Just struggle quite a bit so far .. I am A liscensed Boat Capt. 100 ton ..not trying to brag just a point I can pull up to a scuba diver in a 4-6 ft sea and pluck them out of the water .. So I am sure I will learn this sooner or later ..

I Just can't help but think there is a better way to build planes for "dumb thumb" people like me and everyone who doesn't want to throw away their $$ or repair stuff all the time ..

This foam Extruded Poly-----ethelene?? I forgot .. IS TOUGH .., I would nod lie to you about that and is really light .. Not as ridgid as EPS or the others but ridgid enough .. I am just not much of a designer .. If I have enough I'd get it right sooner or later .. The 1 I have built is too heavy I think and just sorta a crummy design .. I went flying today .. Broke the slow stick after 3 "Flights" the super cub ended up with a bent motor shaft and the "Wild Hawk" just flew Wildly for some reason ant destroyed itself ..again.. in 2 "Flights" this is the 2nd wild hawk I've had ..

OK this is too long I was afraid of failure I guess so I didn't try the "Crashproof" plane today but tomorrow I don't need to be to work till 1 PM so I will promise to you folks .. My Mentors And I like to call Friends I will Try it tomorrow unless the wind is howling which I dbout ..

I just wish someone out there would agree to take on building one of these .. I'd buy you the foam and whatever you need .. I just need someone with some talent who is interested in this .. Thinking like a Super cub type thing myself .. They allways break either just behind or in front f the wing .. This stuff I am talking about WILL NOT BREAK ..

OK enough .. Too much said sorry .. Thank everyone for being there to help teach me .. Don J

Name:	Crash Resistant.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	87285  
Old 12-20-2008, 03:05 PM
diverdon

Hello All ,

Well I tried it today .. Flew 10 ft and went into the ground .. Thinking the angle on the prop might have been wrong . So the screws holding the motor on came loose and that was the end of that .. I will use a bolt and nut next time .. The plane hit pretty hard .. Well 40 plus ounces hits hard especally at nearly full throttle .. It cracked some of the Balsa I had on the plane but ... The foam didn't break ..

I flew another slow stick .. The foam tail broke upon a "Landing" and the super cub again . Got that one 100 yards away and just couldn't seem to get it to come back .. The "landing" didn't hurt anything however some kids and their dad showed up and I don't want to hurt anyone so that ended todays flying ..

I have gotten another idea for this new foam . Use a super cub fuselage for a "Mold" use this foam double thick 3 inches total and put a carbon fibre rod in it .. Thinking that's the next thing I will try .. I could use Super cub wings or (Maybe) make 1 out of this same foam

Have a good day all ,,I'm off to work soon .. Don J.
Old 12-21-2008, 12:43 AM
murphy

Hello Folks
I am new to electriv flying I have bought an ARTF model of a model called the Easy Cub, I believe it is made of Elapor Foam and the manufacturer Multiplex their own brand of cyano called Zacki Elapor, I did not realise foam could be glued with cyano apparently Elapor can be, can anyone advise me if a hot glue gun or even white glue ie Titebond,a resin w type etc be suitable for gluing Elapor and other foams I do not like using cyano and would prefer to use a water based glue if possible. Also can anyone advise me on the strength of Elapor foam as after reading a few threads on the site I am a bit confused, which many say is my normal state of mind!!!
Thanks in advance folks to anyone who may respond.
All the best,murphy.
Old 01-03-2009, 10:34 PM
rdjay

Larry,

If you are still following this thread I finally got a chance to try out your recommendations from about a month ago. Between the holidays an the crappy weather/snow it's taken me awhile.

You were completely right about the vertical area behind the cg. I added side fins and it calmed it down about 95%. It's very flyable now. It's been beat up quite a bit so is kinda heavy now but will scoot around on the grass and take off fine. It's no "3d" machine but will roll and loop. Because of the weight won't fly as slow as I'd like but I think it will work well off water.

I guess the camping pad material is "ok" for building a plane. It's very tough but is so floppy it takes a lot of bracing. I think being water resistant is a big plus over epp and I can see using this around water.

Thanks again for all your help.

RdJay

Name:	IMGP0108.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	145.2 KB
ID:	89077  
Old 01-04-2009, 12:31 AM
Larry3215
Look out for that tree!!!

Im glad that worked out and its flying well!

I think its a very cool looking plane
Old 01-06-2009, 08:27 AM
diverdon

Originally Posted by pburt1975 View Post
Best I can do right now is pictures of what the hold up is

I'll have more pictures of the "hold up" coming soon tho, lol...
Hello P Burt .. Been a while scince I've contacted you .. Still fooling around with the 'crashproof" Plane and have been breaking more i the meantime . The first one I finished seems to be too heavy .. Huge 69?inch wing on it tail boom etc caused me to use a big motor and it still went nose in on the first trial ..

I might have had too much "balast" weight trying to get the COG right .. Have taken a bunch off and am ready to try again with the COG 2 inches further back ..

I am als building another one with a sorta copy of a Hobby zone supercub fuselage and am gonna use their wing . and a 2410-09 motor (slow stick motor) with a 12 in prop . Should be a lot lighter and "Maybe" please please fly better ... I started a post on it in the foamie section here ..

How about you ? been having any luck with this foam ? Havent read aot any attempts for a while .. I was trying to figure out the name and contact info for more of this foam . The people gave me a couple big pieces last time I am not the type who likes handouts so checking this out as best I CAN .... this stuff is expensive if I am figureing correct ..

Well it's all for FUN ? Let me know how your doin Heres a pic of the newest attempt . I am gonna try the 1st prototype again too but a friend of mine wants to be the one to destr..... FLY it ... Take Care , Don J.

Name:	Crash Resistant.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	89433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Cub Fuselage.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	89434   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nose Motor.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	173.4 KB
ID:	89435  
Old 01-07-2009, 07:33 PM
richg99

Diverdon...I've enjoyed this thread and have been following it for some time. I even asked you to send me a sample of the 'new foam".

From the reading that I've done...I might suggest that the crashes that you have had...could be much more due to your radio system...than any other factor.

I know that I crashed everything I touched ...especially my Super Cub....UNTIL..I bought a Spektrum DX6 and learned all about "rates" and "expo". What a difference!

I still make lawn darts out of my planes from time to time...but...at least I feel that I am in control...not somebody walking by, using her cell-phone, and inadvertently smashing my Super Cub into a heap.

Perhaps you already have a "better" radio system..I don't know...but...if you don't... I'd start there.
regards, Rich
Old 01-08-2009, 01:41 AM
diverdon

Originally Posted by richg99 View Post
Diverdon...I've enjoyed this thread and have been following it for some time. I even asked you to send me a sample of the 'new foam".

From the reading that I've done...I might suggest that the crashes that you have had...could be much more due to your radio system...than any other factor.

I know that I crashed everything I touched ...especially my Super Cub....UNTIL..I bought a Spektrum DX6 and learned all about "rates" and "expo". What a difference!

I still make lawn darts out of my planes from time to time...but...at least I feel that I am in control...not somebody walking by, using her cell-phone, and inadvertently smashing my Super Cub into a heap.

Perhaps you already have a "better" radio system..I don't know...but...if you don't... I'd start there.
regards, Rich

Hello Rich , Thanks for the reply . Very Kind of you to try to give me an out with the radio excuse . I sorta tink its a Loose nut behind the radio .... I have an Optic 6 that I bought brand new .. ??/ What do you think of the optic 6 ??

Whenever someone else "Helps" me they do just fine with it and when they get the plane up and hand it off to me I usually do fine.. Also sometimes I can "take off" and fly a while but I still am not very consistant and every flight ends up as a crash usually with damage ..

I WILL get better sooner or later but for now I'd like to develop a plane that can REALLY take a crash ..I'm sure you understand that and there must be a few others who would like a plane like one too.

Thanks again for the reply if you get any more ideas please pass them on , Don J.