Gluing Elapor Foam - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Gluing Elapor Foam

Old 02-24-2009, 12:35 AM
murphy

Default Gluing Elapor Foam

Helo folks
Do any members have expience of using Uhu Por glue on elapor foam as used by Multiplex on theier model of the Easy cub, also if anyone has built this model any advice on building and flying this model would br appreciated.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:24 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

I've used UHU glue on a Funjet by the same company and didn't have any problems. It held up well to some intense speeds and never let go so I think your ok with it.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:43 AM
Sparrowhawk

I used regular Mercury medium CA and that worked very well too.

Also I see Hobby Lobby has UHU Por and Hart glue dunno how the price compares to other place.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:41 AM
R6_Infantry

question... if you use CA do you need to cover the entire piece or just a few spots of CA here and there?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:55 AM
Kosh
Super Contributor

Well the broader the area you can apply it the better the hold of course. When a thin layer is applied to both side and then set in place always holds best for me. I try and build with UHU mostly and use CA glues for on field repairs done instantly.

5 minute epoxy is used on most of my stuff for control horns, motor mounts and other parts that just don't hold up with CA.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:20 AM
Sparrowhawk

I did have some CA glue gaps in a Multiplex post mortem inspection, so a gel like UHU is probably a better choice.
Old 03-01-2009, 10:46 PM
murphy

Thanks to all who replied to my question re gluing elapor foam as used in Multiplex kits I think I will go with UHU POR rather than super glue, any further advice would be appreciated.
All the best murphy.
Old 03-02-2009, 12:00 AM
Xpress..
Team Hitec, CSR

Super glue is also a faster fix I would keep a bottle of medium CA and kicker handy for field repairs when you just want to get back in the air fast.
Old 03-02-2009, 02:05 PM
Bill Linske

Originally Posted by murphy View Post
Thanks to all who replied to my question re gluing elapor foam as used in Multiplex kits I think I will go with UHU POR rather than super glue, any further advice would be appreciated.
All the best murphy.
murphy,

I've built five Multiplex airplanes ( two EasyStars, two MiniMags, and a Magister) with CA medium from Tower Hobby and their Activator with great results and no failures (some crashes however due to me and not the glue). I also use Hot Glue to hold servos in place and again no problems. Multiplex recommends CA medium glue and I stay with their choice. I don't know anything about UHU POR, what is it? I was interested in the Easy Cub, but bought a Mentor instead. I've yet to start building it. Let us know how you like the Easy Cub as I may still be interested in buying one.
Old 03-02-2009, 06:31 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
I build a lot of MPX models. Not that I go through them fast or anything, otyer folks will pay or trade with me to build theirs for them. It often pays for yet another model for me, yea me.

I've played around with many glues and adhesives on elepor foam and I keep going back to medium Ca and kicker as the instructions suggest.
I've tried:
Hot glue. It mostly works but if you're not careful the gun can sometimes melt the foam and if you should get some of the naplam on your skin it hurts like, well like naplam.
It's also bulky and heavy and hard to do large areas as it cools off quickly.

Gorilla glue. Works but I don't like the mess and it doesn't sand easily.

Goop, mostly works but if you use too much or trap it inside it can temporalily soften the foam or worse, melt it.

UHU-por. Really nifty stuff! I use it a lot on EPS foam as a contact cement. On elepor it feels lacking for my tastes.

White glue/alphetic resin. Nope, doesn't stick well at all, don't bother.

Epoxy. Holds for a while but eventually comes loose. Almost like you used a mold release on the foam. Yes folks, I know there is a mold release on the foam, but even if you clean it off the epoxy still doesn't stick well for long.

So I keep going back to medium ca and kicker as per instructions.
RobII
Old 03-02-2009, 06:50 PM
R6_Infantry

I like the fact that the UHU POR seems to coat it better when used on both sides, I have trust in the CA however it seems to me that it would take quite a bit to cover the fuse portion as its such a large area to be covering with CA? am I wrong or any other ideas on how best to cover a large area with CA without sticking myself or half of my workbench to the project. thanks
Old 03-02-2009, 10:20 PM
murphy

Hello folks
Thanks again for a ll the advice re gluing Elapor foam as used in the Multiplex Easy Cub I think I will give the UHU POR a try and let you all know how it goes, both the glue and the plane.
Thanks again all the best, murphy.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:27 PM
murphy

Originally Posted by Kosh View Post
I've used UHU glue on a Funjet by the same company and didn't have any problems. It held up well to some intense speeds and never let go so I think your ok with it.
Helo Kosh thanks for your reply re using UHU for gluing Multiplex models made of Elapor foam was it Uhu Por you used?
Thanks all the best Murphy.
Old 03-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Ben D wing

What I like best about UHU Por is that it can be used 'wet' or as a contact adhesive. It also makes a nifty hinging medium for EPP shock flyers.
Old 03-03-2009, 01:28 PM
joho

Hey;

Use Zacki, its optimized CA for Elapor, 100% kicker-free and made by Multiplex for their Elapor models. Its brilliant and better than any CA, UHU POR or epoxy i ever used. I use it on everything else too, its simply the best

jo
Old 03-03-2009, 06:01 PM
Elfwreck
PHD in Crashology

Hey now,
Um, no. According to the tests Zacky is just MPXs house brand Ca, nothing special about it well except maybe the price.

R6, you're maybe using too much ca? When I do large areas like a fuse I 'wet' one side with kicker, let it dry, and put bigish drops of medium on the other side spread at least an inch apart.When you push the two pieces together the ca spreads out and mostly covers the entire area. Works well and doesn't spluge all over everything.
RobII
Old 03-03-2009, 07:01 PM
joho

Originally Posted by Elfwreck View Post
Hey now,
Um, no. According to the tests Zacky is just MPXs house brand Ca, nothing special about it well except maybe the price.
Well, its kicker-free and been my best CA for a long time. Anyway, there is other kicker-free CA brands out there too but my opinion is that Zacki is better than Flash, Zap a Gap or Graupners CA. Can you please tell where that test is written and by who? I really wanna read that since i use it everyday

Only my 2 cents anyway..

Jo
Old 03-09-2009, 12:55 AM
murphy

Default Uhu por glue

Originally Posted by Ben D wing View Post
What I like best about UHU Por is that it can be used 'wet' or as a contact adhesive. It also makes a nifty hinging medium for EPP shock flyers.
Hi there,thanks for your advice re UHU POR what exactly do you mean by using it "wet" ? any more advice would be appreciated also have you had any problems with using it on elapor foam?
Old 03-09-2009, 09:00 AM
Ben D wing

Originally Posted by murphy View Post
Hi there,thanks for your advice re UHU POR what exactly do you mean by using it "wet" ? any more advice would be appreciated also have you had any problems with using it on elapor foam?
What I mean by 'wet' is that both parts to be assembled are coated with Por and then brought together imediately and left to dry. It is advisable on large parts to tape the pieces together to ensure that they don't move out of alignment. When using Por as a contact adhesive I have found that as long as all of the area to be joined is coated evenly, then only a very thin coat is needed for a really strong joint.
I have used UHU Por on Elapor, but I have not tried joining large parts together such as a fuselage. I don't see why it wouldn't work and I think it would perhaps be better to use it 'wet' as this gives time for aligning parts before the glue finally grabs.
Hope this helps out.
Old 04-14-2009, 12:12 AM
murphy

Default re replies to using uhu por on elapor foam

Originally Posted by Ben D wing View Post
What I mean by 'wet' is that both parts to be assembled are coated with Por and then brought together imediately and left to dry. It is advisable on large parts to tape the pieces together to ensure that they don't move out of alignment. When using Por as a contact adhesive I have found that as long as all of the area to be joined is coated evenly, then only a very thin coat is needed for a really strong joint.
I have used UHU Por on Elapor, but I have not tried joining large parts together such as a fuselage. I don't see why it wouldn't work and I think it would perhaps be better to use it 'wet' as this gives time for aligning parts before the glue finally grabs.
Hope this helps out.
Hello Ben D wing and all others who replied to my question re the above, Ben D wing I am going to try your method of using "Uhu Por wet as you suggest", do I apply two thin coats for weight saving, can I use it on the kit of the Multiplex Easy Cub as it comes out of the box, or do I have to clean surfaces to be joined first?. As I understand it the Elapor foam has been deagreased after it has been realesed from the mould, what would you guys suggest for gluing the plastic control horns to the elevator and rudder I have a small bottle of elapor Zacki super glue would this be okay? I have never used it before as I said I am a beginner at using foam.
Finally folks have any of you built and flown the Multiplex Easy Cub and what ype of flight times can I excpect just floating slowly around the sky using the recommended Multiplex set up, also any advice on fixing the two servos without supergluing them in place as I would like to be able to remove them to use in other models.
Old 04-17-2009, 07:16 AM
Ben D wing

Murphy,
First off, Zacki is ideal for the plastic horns etc. and should provide a strong, long lasting bond. I have yet to have a failure by using this glue.
With regard to using UHU Por, there are actually 2 ways of using it 'wet'. The first is to give each surface a thin coat of 'Por' before joining, although if covering large areas it might be worth using the second method (below) as the glue may already be dry by the time all parts are coated and there would be no ability to line up the parts after joining.
The second method is to coat one surface only and then join the parts immediately, and this is perhaps preferable for the fuz halves for instance where a large area is to be covered. I have never bothered degreasing Elapor parts before joining, but it it may be worth a try for ultimate strength.
Servos: Simply wrap them in automotive (paper) masking tape and fix in place with a small drop of UHU Por. When you need to remove them simply cut the tape and carefully prise the servo out of place.
Old 04-18-2009, 11:02 PM
murphy

Hello again Ben D Wing,
Thanks again for your help and advice I will certainly follow it re the above I replied to you last night dont know if you recieved it so I thought I would resend my thanks to you, I would be grateful if given your experience you could adviese me what sort of flight times I might excpect with the Muliplex Easy Cub, using Multipexs advised set up of batteries motor etc, if you have any experience of it.I only intend to float gently around the sky with it, but being new to electric flight and having to try flying on my own where I live any help would be appreciated.
Thanks again, all the best, John.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:51 AM
murphy

Thanks folks, for all your help and advice re the above questions, however if any member has experience of building and flying the Multipex Easy Cub using Multipexs set up of motor,batteries,esc, etc, being new to eletric flight I would appreciate any advice and help re excpected flight times when just floating around the sky
Old 04-19-2009, 11:24 AM
Ben D wing

I've just checked out Multiplex's recommended power set up and if you use the maximum recommended 2s LiPo of 2170mAh, the endurance with low throttle usage should be in excess of 12 mins.
The following attachment may be of help
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
HC2816-xxxx.pdf (197.9 KB, 375 views)