Best Glue Gun ??? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Foamies Talk about building, power setups and anything having to do with e-powered foamy planes!

Best Glue Gun ???

Old 02-22-2009, 04:42 AM
diverdon

Default Best Glue Gun ???

Hello All ,

The Glue gun I have been using for a year or so is starting to get weaker it seems so I'm thinking it's time for a new one and I might as well try to get a good one ... The only one I have ever seen that looked like anything special was the Dremel Hot Glue Gun ..

So is there any other ones that you all can share with me about ... I am not looking to spend a bundle on this but the Dremel one looks like it will be about $30 with the shipping .. I figure as much as I am using this tool I might as well try to get a little better one ...

Thanks to you all , Don J.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:51 AM
flydiver
Super Contributor

Wow! $30?
Mine is a low temp from a craft store (Micheals) for < $5. I've got a couple 'better' high temp ones but when tested they melt the foam.
This is a simple device. What do you get for the extra $$.
Old 02-22-2009, 09:35 AM
diverdon

Default Look and see ????

Originally Posted by flydiver View Post
Wow! $30?
Mine is a low temp from a craft store (Micheals) for < $5. I've got a couple 'better' high temp ones but when tested they melt the foam.
This is a simple device. What do you get for the extra $$.

All I can say is "Look and see" The dremel Glue Gun is way nicer than the standard one .. I am not sure about this one but some of the better ones heat up faster this dremel one has a light that tells you when it's ready , dripless tip , and comes with a few different tips there is a few other good things about it but I can't remember .. That's why I'm saying "look for yourself " I tried to get a link to paste here but failed ..

It's easy to look this up in google .. Guess maybe it's my craziness showing again but I just thought as much as I use this "Tool" it might be good to have a nice one ... I got this for my sister last ....2 years ago that is for christmas as she does a lot of crafts and she told me she loves it .. I was just thinking with all of the watt flyer peole out there maybe someone has found a really cool one ...

P.S. - Thanks for your reply , Don
Old 02-22-2009, 12:53 PM
merctech

I bought one from harbour freight for 6.00 works great. But if you already have your mind made up for a 30.00 one go for it. I only use it for my airplanes so couldnt justify the extra 24.00 but Ive been known to be cheap before lol.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:04 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

I am still looking for the kind that i want. I have several cheap ones and the one i use
the most is a Thermogrip C600 cordless (bought at Walmart) it has to be heated with
the cord then you can lift it out and use it for your glue project before reheating.
It is ok except for getting into tight places. That is what i don't like about most hot
glue guns.I would like one with an extension tip for getting into tight spots.
I will be watching this thread for any tips also.
Crash
Old 02-22-2009, 01:36 PM
diverdon

Hi Crashalot ... "that should be my name" The one I am now using is from wal mart too Ad Tech 2 tempature .. and it looks beat .. The one I got for my sister (dremel brand) comes with several tips maybe you can google that to look at ...

I was doing some "research?" while I was supposto be working and stumbled across one that had a bigger heat coil or so they said but I didn't get the information about it and cannot find it again ..

I don't have much patience so I will be buying one of the dremel brand ones .. I think Sears stocks them ..

Take care , Don
Old 02-22-2009, 04:29 PM
Louis

Last edited by Louis; 08-22-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:14 AM
diverdon

Hi Louis , Funny thing .. Hot wire cutters .. OK I want agood one but in my mind the best one I could have would be home made one with a bow on it large enough to cut Wings out of blocks...

Thanks , Don J.
Old 02-23-2009, 03:48 AM
Louis

Last edited by Louis; 08-22-2009 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:44 AM
Murocflyer
WAA-08 Pilot #1

I heard this one was good.

http://shop1.frys.com/product/558016...H:MAIN_RSLT_PG

Frank
Old 02-23-2009, 12:32 PM
Crashalott
Super Contributor

Smile Hot Glue Gun

Originally Posted by diverdon View Post
Hi Crashalot ... "that should be my name" The one I am now using is from wal mart too Ad Tech 2 tempature .. and it looks beat .. The one I got for my sister (dremel brand) comes with several tips maybe you can google that to look at ...

I was doing some "research?" while I was supposto be working and stumbled across one that had a bigger heat coil or so they said but I didn't get the information about it and cannot find it again ..

I don't have much patience so I will be buying one of the dremel brand ones .. I think Sears stocks them ..

Take care , Don
Hi Don,
Yes i did google the dremel one and will keep it in mind, but i will do my homework first.
Thanks
Crash
Old 02-23-2009, 09:35 PM
murphy

Hello folks
Is it possible to use a hot glue gun on "Elapor foam" as used in Multiplex models, if not can anyone a glue apart from super glue which I am allergic to?
Old 02-24-2009, 12:02 AM
Louis

Last edited by Louis; 08-22-2009 at 09:24 PM.
Old 02-24-2009, 12:10 AM
capt. crash
is cooler than you

ahh, just use super glue you wuss! just joking with you! I also believe you can use hot glue, though it may not work as well.

one suggestion is to get a friend/acquaintance/random hobo off the street(offer $5) to super glue it for you! and by super glue it for you I mean have them super glue it under your close supervision. of course that won't work if you're terribly allergic to it, but if you can be in the same room as it as long as your aren't touching it then that is an idea...
Old 02-24-2009, 04:49 AM
diverdon

Originally Posted by murphy View Post
Hello folks
Is it possible to use a hot glue gun on "Elapor foam" as used in Multiplex models, if not can anyone a glue apart from super glue which I am allergic to?
Hi Murphy , Heres a picture of one of the places I used hot glue on the Easy Star .. To do a repair ..

I waited till it got hot enough for the glue to melt into the foam a little making it part of the foam instead of just sitting on top of it ..

Sorta like welding ..getting the 2 pieces to fuse together .. You don't want it too hot thou or it will just melt right thru ..

Hope this helps .. I have surely gotten tons of help from all of the people on this website .. Thanks so much , Don