Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Delta & Flying Wings Discuss electric powered delta (flying wing) style aircraft here.

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 06-12-2017, 04:10 PM   #1
lee
Crasthesthobby

Club: Crashtesthobby
Friends: (1)
Default *CTH - Toughest Planes on the Planet .....

My name is Lee and I am an aeroholic. I fly out 12 or more batteries on most weeks and have more than 60 flying planes.

I fell in love with flying wings back in the 80s and since that time have designed and built more than 300 different designs and modifications. 80% of all my planes are flying wings. I have designed and fly sport wings, FPV wings, combat wings, slope wings, plank wings and more.

We started cutting wings for our club back in the 80s and we were part of a great group of flyers who loved combat. When EPP foam became available we got into combat and sport flying. We started cutting for other flyers and clubs around 2005 and haven't looked back. We now have planes in many countries. http://www.crashtesthobby.com/

I believe everyone should have a flying wing or two in their trunk. Why? They don't break and are inexpensive to build and when everything else you have is broken the wings will still be flying. We have also seen that wings fly great in the wind and when you are flying over rough ground without a runway. We also have a buy 5 get one free offer on all planes we sell.

At Crashtesthobby we perfected the materials and building process so a plane can survive a hit on a brick wall. If you don't believe it take a look. The plane in the videos is still flying well even though we have crashed it into a brick wall and about everything else over 15 times.

Lee
Old 06-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #2
lee
Crasthesthobby

Here are a couple of videos showing some of the fun you can have with a CTH plane.

Lee

Old 06-12-2017, 04:44 PM   #3
lee
Crasthesthobby

We love to fly as a group. When you fly most kinds of planes you fly alone and try to stay away from each other. With our planes you can fly in formation without fear of breaking your plane.

Lee

Old 06-13-2017, 03:36 AM   #4
tobydogs
love to build!

Club: rcrcc rockland county,ny
Awards Showcase

100mph Speed Demon  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (22)

I know this is simple circles around the field, But i just got these new goggles [attitude v4's] and they have the built in DVR. quality of the recording isn't as good as the view I see but still great to play back and sure or replay in the event i crash somewhere.

You make great kits Lee, would love to get a few more to share with the bud's at the field. Maybe a 3 pack

https://youtu.be/OPBnsO7k_Ic

narrow is the place to land...wide is the space to crash....choose the narrow way!
Old 06-13-2017, 06:17 AM   #5
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Friends: (3)

Originally Posted by lee View Post
We love to fly as a group. When you fly most kinds of planes you fly alone and try to stay away from each other. With our planes you can fly in formation without fear of breaking your plane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D-mQjKU7Zu4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T62WIbIC3lY

Lee

Lee.....I just sent crashtesthobby an E-mail requesting some information about sales and craft availability. I don't know if you are a Rep for them, but my message mentions we fly eBee's and are looking at a more durable unit for rough terrain.

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2017, 05:37 PM   #6
lee
Crasthesthobby

Originally Posted by pizzano View Post
Lee.....I just sent crashtesthobby an E-mail requesting some information about sales and craft availability. I don't know if you are a Rep for them, but my message mentions we fly eBee's and are looking at a more durable unit for rough terrain.

Thanks.
My son and I started Crashtesthobby. It has become the college fund for our kids. We keep all planes in stock. We are flyers having a great time in the hobby.

We have the most indestructible planes available because we learned how to strengthen all of our planes from the combat sessions we have had. Even our slow flyers are cut from EPP and designed to last.

If you have a group or club buying planes take advantage of our buy 5 get one free offers. Also remember all of our kits include laminate which is an extra charge with most other suppliers.

We also give links to sources for motors and ESCs and servos that let you get parts for less than wholesale prices.

If you compare our quality, designs and price we have some great options for you.

We have this offer on all of our kits all of the time including our FPV planes. Take a look....

Lee

Old 06-13-2017, 06:27 PM   #7
lee
Crasthesthobby

Originally Posted by tobydogs View Post
I know this is simple circles around the field, But i just got these new goggles [attitude v4's] and they have the built in DVR. quality of the recording isn't as good as the view I see but still great to play back and sure or replay in the event i crash somewhere.

You make great kits Lee, would love to get a few more to share with the bud's at the field. Maybe a 3 pack

https://youtu.be/OPBnsO7k_Ic
I have lost a plane before that we were able to find because I had the GPS on my OSD (on screen display)

It is easy to fly out of range if you have goggles on.

We have slow flyers too. I think the Albatross is one of the best slow flying FPV planes out there to learn on.

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/fpv-for-beginners.html

Old 06-14-2017, 01:10 AM   #8
pizzano
Behold The Renaissance

Friends: (3)

My son and I started Crashtesthobby. It has become the college fund for our kids. We keep all planes in stock. We are flyers having a great time in the hobby.

We have the most indestructible planes available because we learned how to strengthen all of our planes from the combat sessions we have had. Even our slow flyers are cut from EPP and designed to last.

If you have a group or club buying planes take advantage of our buy 5 get one free offers. Also remember all of our kits include laminate which is an extra charge with most other suppliers.

We also give links to sources for motors and ESCs and servos that let you get parts for less than wholesale prices.

If you compare our quality, designs and price we have some great options for you.

We have this offer on all of our kits all of the time including our FPV planes. Take a look....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CK2JhLR5q8Q

Thanks Lee....... I'll be in touch.
Old 06-14-2017, 09:12 PM   #9
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

Friends: (8)

We have slow flyers too. I think the Albatross is one of the best slow flying FPV planes out there to learn on.

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/fpv-for-beginners.html

If the Albatross were ready to fly we'd all be saying "Flyzone? Who are they?" The Albatross is the old free flight airplane, updated to EPP foam technology. It can fly itself, flies half the minimum flying speed of a Champ and has a top end double that of a Champ. The Albatross is great in wind, can carry FPV equipment without breaking a sweat and can be built with some of the cheapest components on the planet. The foam protects all your electronic components in a crash too.

Try this with any excellent beginner plane of the day. And this is the tractor engine model, not the pod puller! The pod puller design puts the motor on a pod like a bixler, but it is in front of the wing and facing forward. Keeps the prop in clean air for quiet operation and great efficiency.

With Lee's great build videos, I don't see how you could build one wrong, even if you've never built a plane before. His website is crashtesthobby.com

Registered drone offender FA377YHFNC
Old 06-14-2017, 09:17 PM   #10
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

But wait! The Albatross isn''t the toughest hombre in his shop. I really don't know what is, but the Assassin is advertised as such. My son-in-law did the push pod pile driver with his Bixler, rendering it unsavable.

On my advice, he bought an Assassin to learn to fly with. It's not easy to fly, but for the Assassin crashes just have no consequences. If you're as mentally tough as my son-in-law, after a thousand or so crashes you emerge as a great RC pilot. Not recommended for those easily frustrated!

It might break your spirit, but you won't break the Assassin. Let's prove that, shall we?

I own his Grim Reaper and have caught a wingtip on a 50 mph low (ya think?) flyby. It cartwheeled half a dozen times more than 15' in the air. It actually bent the steel motor mount, but after minor repairs the plane flies today. My only regret is I don't have video!

Old 06-20-2017, 12:40 PM   #11
lee
Crasthesthobby

Originally Posted by Rockin Robbins View Post
But wait! The Albatross isn''t the toughest hombre in his shop. I really don't know what is, but the Assassin is advertised as such. My son-in-law did the push pod pile driver with his Bixler, rendering it unsavable.

On my advice, he bought an Assassin to learn to fly with. It's not easy to fly, but for the Assassin crashes just have no consequences. If you're as mentally tough as my son-in-law, after a thousand or so crashes you emerge as a great RC pilot. Not recommended for those easily frustrated!

It might break your spirit, but you won't break the Assassin. Let's prove that, shall we?

I own his Grim Reaper and have caught a wingtip on a 50 mph low (ya think?) flyby. It cartwheeled half a dozen times more than 15' in the air. It actually bent the steel motor mount, but after minor repairs the plane flies today. My only regret is I don't have video!
When you are discussing slow flyers the Albatross (and Storm Chaser and Pelican) hold their own. Not only are they some of the most stable planes you can get but they are cut for the same materials as the EPP flying wings. I have old planes that just keep flying and flying.

Lee
Old 06-23-2017, 09:17 PM   #12
Rockin Robbins
Super Contributor

When you are discussing slow flyers the Albatross (and Storm Chaser and Pelican) hold their own. Not only are they some of the most stable planes you can get but they are cut for the same materials as the EPP flying wings. I have old planes that just keep flying and flying.

Lee

I'll bet this Storm Chaser would classify as a sailplane and fly well with a Radian! But it may be the finest FPV hands-off machine in the world. 68" wingspan. Build as a polyhedral 3-channel or a flat wing aileron 4-channel. Don't need no stinkin' landing gear! Mountains not included....

Old 06-26-2017, 05:16 PM   #13
lee
Crasthesthobby

I frequently get asked to compare the Rebels to the Assassin and make a recommendation as to which plane to get. We are the manufacturer of a variety of planes and some people are confused as to which one would meet their needs the best since there are so many to choose from.

The Assassin is a great flying 40" class wing with a thick EPP foam semi-symmetrical airfoil. It is thick enough a 1300-1500 lipo battery can be positioned on its side which helps to protect it in an accident. This is a huge advantage to thinner wings that frequently bend up the batteries with even a slight bounce on the nose. The real miracle isn't just our planes being able to hit a brick wall and survive but that the battery and electronics survive because of the design of the plane.

When FPV racing became a fad we were asked to produce a symmetrical wing for racing. We decided to keep the tried and true Assassin shape and go with a symmetrical airfoil and see what we could come up with.

We were testing three different airfoils as shown in the video below. We have a 12% symmetrical airfoil, a 14% symmetrical airfoil and a 16% symmetrical airfoil options for the Rebels.

We were using a 2812-1534kv $8 motor and the same ESCs and servos because we know these parts so well from years of flying the Assassin. We used new freshly charged batteries and found that all of the planes with a 3S battery flew about the same speed. The 2812-1534 motor with a 7x6 prop and a 3S has about a 70 mph air speed no matter which plane it is on. The Rebels and the Assassin all were close in the airspeed. The Widowmaker also has about the same performance with the same motor.

The question then becomes which of the airfoils has the best performance?

The Assassin has a little more lift but needs a little more reflex in the elevons to trim it out for flat and level flight.

The Widowmaker is a great flyer and good for slope and slow flight but the battery is on its side. The battery is still protected by an EPP nose but it lays flat in the plane leaving it more exposed. Although this is a technical fact the Widowmaker is a great flyer and I have 5-6 of them flying. I can get a longer flight because they have less drag and a better glide.

The 12% Rebel is also so thin that the battery is on its side. It is a good flying plane and I hope to take it to the slope and see how it can fly. The thinner airfoils do better on the slope with penetration of the wind at a lower weight.

The Rebel 14% and Rebel 16% are both thick enough to put the batteries on their side like we do in the Assassin. The extra thickness of the 16% makes it so it can protect the battery a little better.

The Rebel 16% is the same thickness as the Assassin and should survive just as well in the brick wall test since except for the airfoil the materials and shape are the same. For most of you one of these two planes should be the best choice of aerodynamics and toughness. The Rebel needs less reflex and the Assassin can carry more weight. I don't have a favorite and even took the Rebel 14 to the latest fly in to show off the new line of planes.

The nice thing is we have the buy 5 get one free offer and you can get the kits for less than $42 per kit. You can mix and match the planes and try both if you would like.

Old 07-04-2017, 04:23 PM   #14
lee
Crasthesthobby

We have had a lot of fun flying limbo and other flying games.

As you watch this old video listen to the voices.

Old 07-19-2017, 08:29 PM   #15
lee
Crasthesthobby

James will be our new customer service manager. He has worked with us for over 10 years and knows the kits and shipping ins and outs.

To welcome him to his new job we are doing a super sale on the 43" FPV Pinata XL Kits. Get $30.00 off when you buy two. Take a look.

http://www.crashtesthobby.com/pinata-43.html

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Delta & Flying Wings