Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Beginners New to e-power flying? Get the low down in here from experienced e-power RC pilots!

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-06-2017, 03:22 PM   #1
azimiut

Friends: (0)
Default getting back into hobby battery size question

I flew planes many years ago, got into rc cars, then racing real cars. Done with the real thing. I moved out to an area with lots of land and want to get back into aircraft. I had gas and done with that now that electric is so much better than it was years ago.

Since I have my electric car stuff I was looking for a trainer that would use the same batteries. Everything else is different and still want to drive my cars. They are the 3s 35c 5500mah 140mm 50mm x 30mm. However in my car I run them in a series for 6s. But since I have 2 dozen of these batteries it would be best to find a plane that matches.

The other plane I want to fly is my old 2m motor glider which I built but never flown. Just been hanging in my office. Gotta do a little fixing on it. Just need a new cowl and battery cover. Down the road do a brushless on it but might fly it as is. If I crash well I hope not but it is what it is.

My only issue is that I don't have a super smooth runway. I have a paved road out front but very long packed gravel driveway. Road is ok for a trainer but tear up the glider since it doesn't have gear.

Arf is ok I don't have a problem building a kit but I like wood over foam. Would a 40 or 60 trainer fit the batteries the best?
Old 11-06-2017, 03:42 PM   #2
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (17)

"3s 35c 5500mah 140mm 50mm x 30mm" .... that's a big battery for many trainers ! Many are in the 1300 - 2200mah size.

It will have to be a medium large model to carry such load. Yes a 40 - 60 size is probably called for.

You can always prop up and have higher kv motor to use the 3S ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-06-2017, 04:08 PM   #3
Abuelo

Club: Open flying at the Chandler Bowl
Friends: (5)

Welcome.

There are folks here that know a great deal on matching power to the airframe and I'm sure they will chime in with some solid advice. What you will find is that the hobby has really changed since your power plane era and their input is valid for your success.

As for airframes, there isn't much now in the balsa builds in the larger sizes. Injected foam seems the standard now, but there are plans available for the older planes. i recommend you check out www.Outerzone.com.uk for their free plans selection. Something like the Telemaster should be large enough for those batteries.

But check out FliteTest for something simple. They sell kits and offer free plans for cheap, expendable, and simple planes made from foam board, and the cost of a flight package is in the price range of a larger battery. Would give you some practice at not much cost.

I recommend HeadsupRC for mail ordering supplies. Prices are fair for the quality and they will freely assist in getting you the right components.

Assume you are in rural Arizona somewhere? I'm in Tempe.

Bill

Inside every old man is a young man wondering what happened.
Old 11-06-2017, 04:41 PM   #4
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

One of the useful utilities to help with Prop / Motor selection ...

eCalc

Only a couple of $ to register and it gives you most of the common motors / props / battery lists to work with.

Its biggest benefit is to work out what prop / kv to match a battery cell number ...

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 11-06-2017, 06:38 PM   #5
azimiut

I'm in the north new river area. I have just over 2.5 acres with open desert on most sides. I was looking at the telemasters years ago in the old hobby lobby catalogs. Infact I think I still have their paper catalog floating around somewhere.
Old 11-06-2017, 06:49 PM   #6
Stay Quiet

Club: Campobello Flyers

https://www.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXJ558&P=0

60 sized trainer kit. You would have to make modifications to accommodate the electric motor and battery equipment, but there's plenty of room for it.

With a 3S 35C 5500mah battery, you would have plenty of power, and some long flight times, since you won't be full throttle most of the time.

What goes up, must come down. The trick is to keep it in one piece.
Old 11-06-2017, 07:07 PM   #7
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Here's a quick few numbers thrown into eCalc for the Telemaster linked above ...

Nigel

Attached Files
File Type: pdf WF Telemaster.pdf (1.25 MB, 8 views)

Old 11-07-2017, 03:48 PM   #8
azimiut

thanks thats very helpful!
Old 11-08-2017, 09:44 AM   #9
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

A 5500mah battery is pretty big, however...

I've been building my own planes with dollar tree foam board and a thicker 10mm stick. I am in the process of building a 60" wingspan biplane and plan to run a twin setup with 3 2200mah batteries in parrelel, as I own a bunch. I use arrow shafts or carbon fiber for the spars and rubber bands to hold the wing on. Gonna shoot for long flight times, short take offs and tons of thrust and low speed. Ideally, I want to be able to hover it.

Cool thing about the foam board, at $1 a sheet, a completed wing can cost as little as $2. If you crash the plane, you aren't out much. Building mistakes also don't cost much and repairs are pretty easy and the material is really durable.

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 11-08-2017, 03:05 PM   #10
azimiut

I love the foam board. I have built free flight from foam board for my nephew all the time. I always enjoyed free flight. I know there are limitless plans for foamboard. I have done many boom tail HLGs from carbon arrow shafts. even some rocket powered planes. one didnt work out too well. foam paper and fire do not go well together.

I would like a slow flying plane, not just for beginner flight but just fun.
Old 11-09-2017, 07:33 AM   #11
hayofstacks
Super Contributor

I am not trying talk down on you at all. Just keep that in mind.

If you've already used foam board and built gliders, all you gotta do is add control surface area and a motor. You will crash, no matter what. Some of the most experienced guys I know crash. Get the basics down with something cheap. But a cheap hobby king 1300mah battery and a motor to suit it. Build a plane and get all the crashing out of the way on something cheap and easily repairable.

Once you can take off and land a few times in a row without issue, then spend more money on planes and motors.

Any plane is fun to fly, especially when you are new. I have quite a few high wing planes that are rudder jobs with no aleroins. They are a blast, even after flying bigger nicer and faster planes.

Flying is much more fun then crashing and wasting money. My $ .02

slow stock prop reversal. it flies! easily! 543 watt dual motor bipe slow stick. push-me-pull-you. 242 watt 3 channel slow stick. 365 watt mini ultra stick. 415 watt mini contender. 810 watt ultra stick .25e. 220 watt alpha 450 sport (retired).
Old 11-09-2017, 11:56 AM   #12
Flubber

View Flubber's Gallery8
Club: DE R/C, SKSS

An LT40 from Sig manufacturing would be perfect for that size pack. I fly one with 5s 5000's and 6s 4000's. They fit in the front hatch where the fuel tank would be. I left one of the tank holding bulkheads out and made a stop to keep the battery from contacting the motor mount bolts. Mine is a tail dragger instead of tricycle landing gear.
It flies very well with those batteries and a 40 size motor. Great kit to build.

Terry

Flying is like ... ah well ... I can not think of anything it is like...
Old 11-10-2017, 06:45 PM   #13
AEAJR
Community Moderator

Club: Long Island Silent Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  Outstanding Contributor Award 
Friends: (10)

Originally Posted by azimiut View Post
I flew planes many years ago, got into rc cars, then racing real cars. Done with the real thing. I moved out to an area with lots of land and want to get back into aircraft. I had gas and done with that now that electric is so much better than it was years ago.

Since I have my electric car stuff I was looking for a trainer that would use the same batteries. Everything else is different and still want to drive my cars. They are the 3s 35c 5500mah 140mm 50mm x 30mm. However in my car I run them in a series for 6s. But since I have 2 dozen of these batteries it would be best to find a plane that matches.

The other plane I want to fly is my old 2m motor glider which I built but never flown. Just been hanging in my office. Gotta do a little fixing on it. Just need a new cowl and battery cover. Down the road do a brushless on it but might fly it as is. If I crash well I hope not but it is what it is.

My only issue is that I don't have a super smooth runway. I have a paved road out front but very long packed gravel driveway. Road is ok for a trainer but tear up the glider since it doesn't have gear.

Arf is ok I don't have a problem building a kit but I like wood over foam. Would a 40 or 60 trainer fit the batteries the best?
How are you coming along in your assessment? have you made a decision yet? Still looking for help?

Have your requirements changed?

I am curious as to how much those packs weigh. Many car packs are hard shelled and heavy compared to similar capacity packs we use in planes.

If you look at this e-book you get an overview of how to size for electric power and the various aspects of electric power as it applies to planes.
https://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31368

Typically you are targeting something in the 60-75 watts per pound for a slow flyer and 100 watts per pound for a sport plane.

Long Island Silent Flyers
www.lisf.org
Eastern Soaring League
www.flyesl.org

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > Electric R/C Airplanes > Beginners