Wattflyer RC Network: RC Universe :: RCU Magazine :: RCU Forums :: RCU Classifieds :: RCU User Reviews :: RCU YouTube
Home Who's Online Calendar Today's Posts RealTime Post Spy Mark Forums Read
Go Back   WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Aerial Photography
Register Members List Wattflyer Extras Articles Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read Social Groups

Aerial Photography Discuss all aerial photography topics as they relate to rc aircraft

Thank you for your support (hide ads)

Old 11-03-2017, 09:27 AM   #76
solentlife
Super Contributor

View solentlife's Gallery47
Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 
Friends: (17)

I don't know .... this one is actually the email to confirm address to ship to.

Guy over on another forum - guess which one - is getting all upset, rcckons I'm getting mine before him .... reckons loads of people getting theirs before others who ordered months earlier !

Trouble is he mixed Pro units with standard .... the Pro units were later development which SS told everyone would be delayed while standards went out. But true to that forums style .... fact makes no difference to him !

My biggest worry is that Latvian Customs can be difficult and with so long a wait, the price is now seriously higher, they may not accept the old purchase order ....

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
- Subscribe my Youtube: "solentlifeuk"
Old 11-11-2017, 12:21 PM   #77
solentlife
Super Contributor

Club: Founder Member Ventspils RC Club. Ex Waltham Chase and Meon Valley Soaring.
Awards Showcase

Scratchbuilders Award  Scratchbuilders Award  Outstanding Contributor Award  125mph Speed Demon 

Just rec'd notification and UPS tracking number for my SS3 on its way .....

Long wait - but finally something happening.

Now printing out the guides etc. they gave links to in that mail.

Nigel

222kph PKJ,EDF Concorde, Mini4,Mig3,T45,PKJ twin,ME109,Edge540,Cessna182,Skymaster Biplane,F15,F16,Badius,Ultimate,SE5,Qbee10,450 Heli,V911,J3 Cub Founder 9x forum: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Flysky_RC_radio/
Old 11-11-2017, 02:21 PM   #78
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

125mph Speed Demon  5kW  Outstanding Contributor Award  1kW 
Friends: (10)

Great news!.. I'm looking forward to hearing your review. I might be tempted to go for one myself if they perform as well as they are supposed to.
Old 11-11-2017, 03:18 PM   #79
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (21)

+1. Exciting news. Question : how big is the tag and how much does it weigh?

Based on the promo vids, looks like it could easily keep up with most rc planes.

Let us know.

Hawk
Old 11-11-2017, 03:22 PM   #80
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Once i get 'baby' in my hands ... I will review...

Getting all excited now !!

Nigel

Old 11-11-2017, 09:22 PM   #81
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

View crxmanpat's Gallery20
Club: Arizona Model Aviators, Gilbert Quiet Flyers
Awards Showcase

WAA-08 Pilot  100mph Speed Demon  Globetrotter Pilot 
Friends: (27)

A friend of mine just got his yesterday (Optic65 version), and we're going to test it out tomorrow with my big Freewing A-10. I'll get a bunch of still pics of the setup as well and post a review here. I'll be flying my A-10 clean which will do about 110mph straight and level.

Pat Gagnon
Old 11-12-2017, 03:15 AM   #82
dahawk
Super Contributor

View dahawk's Gallery6
Club: 114th RC Aero Squadron
Friends: (21)

Great news Pat! This might be something a few guys could go in on to split the cost . Your stock A-10 goes 110mph? I haven’t clocked mine. The new BAe Hawk is going very fast.
Old 11-12-2017, 04:30 AM   #83
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Without ordnance, yes it's pretty darn fast. And that's with RT 5800 35Cs.

Pat Gagnon
Old 11-12-2017, 06:47 AM   #84
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery7
Friends: (1)

Originally Posted by crxmanpat View Post
A friend of mine just got his yesterday (Optic65 version), and we're going to test it out tomorrow with my big Freewing A-10. I'll get a bunch of still pics of the setup as well and post a review here. I'll be flying my A-10 clean which will do about 110mph straight and level.

Can't wait to see that
Old 11-13-2017, 02:20 AM   #85
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

So we did some test flights today with my friend's SS3. The good news is that there were no issues with having the sensor mounted inside a foam fuselage. The camera still tracked the plane without any noticeable signal blockage. Unfortunately, I think this is only going to work with slower planes. Anything over 80 mph and it has a hard time keeping up. We also noticed that when a plane is coming down from say 100' up to a low pass over the runway, the camera anticipated a continued down track when the plane leveled off, so it wound up out of frame several times.

Some things we tried:

First test was with the sensor inside the plane, camera about 200' on the other side of the flight line, field of vision set to narrow.

Second test, sensor strapped the the outer rear fuse area with the sensor on the bottom. Field of vision set to medium.

Third test, sensor strapped to the outer rear fuse section with the sensor on top, camera moved another 150' away from the flight line, field of vision back to narrow.

I think my A-10 was just too fast for it at times. We did get some good footage though, and once my friend renders and uploads it, I'll share some of it here.

Pat Gagnon
Old 11-13-2017, 07:49 AM   #86
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Pat .... 65 or 25 ?

I know SS are working on update to the frame centering .... also they do advise 'walking the tag' back and forth across the FoV to calibrate the centering.

One of the items I am really interested in - the zoom. How effective it really is ....

Nigel

Old 11-13-2017, 01:32 PM   #87
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

post #81 said 'Optic65 version'

It would be very disappointing if it couldn't keep track of a 100mph model, theoretically it's pan speed should be able to deal with much faster objects than that. It's possible that firmware updates might make the camera track better for RC planes. I did notice on one of the promotional videos (Motocross racing) that the camera tended to take a while to react to direction changes. Objects that changed direction quickly, especially in the vertical plane tended to catch it out and cause it to over-shoot.
I think this would be something that could be improved by software updates. Does the camera come with pre-sets for different type of activities? If so a different pre-set might work better.
Old 11-13-2017, 01:37 PM   #88
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I doubt its predicting position - probably a softening of change of camera direction to avoid jerks / sharp changes in video footage.

Nigel

Old 11-13-2017, 01:45 PM   #89
JetPlaneFlyer
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Originally Posted by solentlife View Post
I doubt its predicting position - probably a softening of change of camera direction to avoid jerks / sharp changes in video footage.

Nigel
Agreed, I changed the wording of my post to better reflect what I think was going on. I think what was happening is that the camera has a certain delay in response. As you say possibly this is deliberate to prevent jerky motion on the camera.
This delay meant it sometimes got behind the object and had to 'catch up'. If the object again changed direction just as the camera was catching up it couldn't react quickly enough and over shot. An analogy... if you were driving fast to catch up to another car then just as you were about to draw level, the other car hit his brakes, due to your greater speed you would sail right past.

You could maybe improve the tracking by reducing the delay in response to direction change but that would be at the expense of making the video more jerky.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:16 PM   #90
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Yes, Optic65. We are aware of the software update to help center. Zoom actually worked very well, it just had a hard time with centering.

Pat Gagnon
Old 11-13-2017, 04:41 PM   #91
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Do you think 65x zoom is needed or would the 25x would have been enough ?

I chose 25x based on using normal digicams and the zoom is usually a lot less than 65 ...

What I found out later - which I'm not so amused about ...

65x Optic gives 4K but 25x Optic is only 1080 max.

OK - lets be honest by time Youtube / Vimeo have their hands on our vids - 4K is out the window anyway !! 1080 is more than good enough ... but still !!

Nigel

Old 11-13-2017, 05:21 PM   #92
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

It may be that 65 is needed if the camera itself needs to be moved way off the flight line. He did one final test with the camera behind the flight line and up on a small hill using another member's A-10, but I left before they finished. Don't know how that video turned out.

Pat Gagnon
Old 11-13-2017, 05:40 PM   #93
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Well once I get through the Nationalist crap of Latvian Customs - my SS3 is still with Courier but in Latvia awaiting my sorting with Customs - I'll give the 25 a check out.

I'm usually happy enough with 12x on my other stuff ... so I'm hoping that 25x will do the biz.

Nigel

Old 11-14-2017, 01:44 PM   #94
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

Finally I go see my 'friends' in local Customs house to try and sort out the mess created by UPS.

Can you believe that an International Courier Company operating in EU - their Customer Service not speaking English - in fact when I called them repeatedly to try and organise delivery - they put phone down on me when I asked if the spoke English !! I never said anything rude or upsetting ... Just :

Please I do not speak Latvian - do you speak English .......

Down went phone !!

Anyway - Customs were very good locally and contacted other Customs office and UPS ... I received quickly the Duty invoice and thanks from Chief Customs Officer for speedy action.
UPS - even Customs had problem with them !!

Anyway - its on its way now and I hope to have it by tomorrow ...

Nigel

Old 11-14-2017, 10:53 PM   #95
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery7

cross your fingers mate. I hope it was all worth it. :-)
Old 11-16-2017, 10:20 AM   #96
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

All arrived this morning and it comes in a very nice box !!

I know its sour grapes and all that - but SS told us - we would receive a thankyou gift for waiting so long ........... guess what : Nothing !

So I've asked them on Facebook site where / what it is ?

First I need charge all up ... then update ... etc.

Not so pleased with charging ... no indication at all of charging .. it lights up at start then screen goes blank. Manual says 4hrs ... so I will leave half the day - then see what.

Nigel

Old 11-16-2017, 03:05 PM   #97
crxmanpat
Community Moderator

Awards Showcase

Hmm, my friend had to charge the camera at the field, and he said he could see a charge %. I'll ask him where that is displayed.

Pat Gagnon
Old 11-16-2017, 03:58 PM   #98
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I noted a rolling battery display on the tag ... so maybe thats the way ?

If you plug and unplug - you see % on the base screen ... but after a few secs the screen goes blank.

Can you ask your pal - did he have to keep calibrating ? I have had SUCCESS on screen for calibration after moving a number of times due interference ... but I get no tracking ...

Manual says once calibration is completed - it should track - mine just sits pointing at last point at end of calibration.

Nigel

Old 11-16-2017, 04:36 PM   #99
solentlife
Super Contributor

Awards Showcase

I think I have worked out the charging bit ...

The tag shows a rolling battery marker for charging ... and 100% when done.

The base has steady green LED once charged.

OK ... Updates went through fine ....

Out in garden calibrating worked - but had to move a few times when it claimed magnetic interference - strange as my Phantom calibrates fine in those spots !!

But couldn't get it to track. In fact it drove me nuts in wanting to calibrate each time I wanted to do anything. The tag showed connected ... but track ? No.
Except one time when it was so slow to follow - I had to walk so slow it was painful !!

Its dark now - so will try again tomorrow ...

Nigel

Old 11-17-2017, 01:49 PM   #100
Panther
Super Contributor

View Panther's Gallery7

Lots of interesting videos on soloshot3 on youtube. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight > R/C Electric Topics - General > Aerial Photography