Will my field battery charger work for my motorcycle battery? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Will my field battery charger work for my motorcycle battery?

Old 09-06-2006, 10:21 PM
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

Default Will my field battery charger work for my motorcycle battery?

This is for all you glow flyers that use engine starters and drive motorcycles too. :p I have one of those Hobbico (I think that's who it is) wall chargers for a 12 volt field box battery, and was wondering if it would work fine for keeping my motorcycle battery up this winter.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:59 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Don't know why it wouldn't Andy but I use these on the bugs and I have never had one drain out over the winter.

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/P...010093/c-10107

It disconnects the battery from the system enabling it to maintain it's power longer.
Old 09-06-2006, 11:00 PM
ForestCam
Bad Influence

What's the amp output? As a rule I'd never leave anything hooked to a battery for an extended period that put out any more then 500ma.

You can pick up wall wart battery maintainers for about $10 and they even come with the quick connect leads so you can just leave one end attached to the battery.
Old 09-07-2006, 12:35 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

I have a battery tender for my Valkyrie, It turns itself off until it detect low voltage then it trickle charges it until it is fully charged. Your wall wart could over charge your battery.

It's better to be safe and pop for 10 to 20 bucks that is designed to do the job.

CTD
Old 09-07-2006, 12:40 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

good advice CTD!
Old 09-07-2006, 01:10 AM
Don Sims
Administrator

Originally Posted by vax6335 View Post
This is for all you glow flyers that use engine starters and drive motorcycles too. :p I have one of those Hobbico (I think that's who it is) wall chargers for a 12 volt field box battery, and was wondering if it would work fine for keeping my motorcycle battery up this winter.

Andy, Andy, Andy.... ride the bike all winter then you won't have to worry about charging your battery!!! They have snowplows up there don't they :p
Old 09-07-2006, 01:20 AM
ForestCam
Bad Influence

Dad used to work with a guy that rode his Harley to work year round. When the snow started to fly he'd put on the sidecar that contained 4 car batteries (more for ballast then starting but they were all wired up) and as soon as spring hit the sidecar came off.

Cool thing was watching him put it in reverse, back it out of his stall in the garage, drop it in first and take off, all without the sidecar and with his feet on the pegs!
Old 09-07-2006, 01:49 AM
N3CLI
Retired Pharmacist

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
Andy, Andy, Andy.... ride the bike all winter then you won't have to worry about charging your battery!!! They have snowplows up there don't they :p
Move to Florida and ride all year!

Battery Tender is the way to go. It actually turns off when the battery is full to avoid overcharge.

Try it you will like it.
Old 09-07-2006, 01:54 AM
ForestCam
Bad Influence

Originally Posted by N3CLI View Post
Move to Florida and ride all year!

Battery Tender is the way to go. It actually turns off when the battery is full to avoid overcharge.

Try it you will like it.
JC Whitney has 'em for $30
Old 09-07-2006, 02:48 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Thats funny, I also knew a guy that rode with a sidecar in the winter. I think he was nuts!! I love to ride as much as I love to fly, however I don't like to freese. At crusin speed 45 feels like sub 0 When the temps drop to 45 thats when I won't attempt a ride longer than around the hood a couple of times just to get my bike fix. Got to watch out for the salt in the corners, it will put you on your butt in a hurry.

Raynet11 and I fly every Sunday morning, even in freesing weather. But then again the planes are the only part thats going 40+mph in the cold temps.

Battery Tender, yup....thats the way to go.

CTD
Old 09-07-2006, 04:59 AM
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

Originally Posted by Don Sims View Post
LOL, I would, but it's a 26 year old bike, it doesn't need any more chances for rust to develop. Plus, I'm gonna use this winter as the downtime to fix all the oil leaks it's got.

I guess I'll go with trickle charger meant for bike batteries, I didn't realize they could be had for cheap.
Old 09-07-2006, 06:17 AM
airmail wf
Super Contributor

There not oil leaks. It's just marking it's spot.

Battery Tender. Also take the battery out and keep it in a warm place.
Old 09-07-2006, 03:34 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

If you have a Harbor Freight in your area, they sell a "Float Charger" that is often on sale for $4.99 or $6.99. I have several of these for maintaining my field box, tractor, and trailer batteries over the winter. They work great.
Old 09-07-2006, 07:07 PM
N3CLI
Retired Pharmacist

Originally Posted by Matt Kirsch View Post
If you have a Harbor Freight in your area, they sell a "Float Charger" that is often on sale for $4.99 or $6.99. I have several of these for maintaining my field box, tractor, and trailer batteries over the winter. They work great.
I have one of these and it does the job on my 17 amp sealed battery.
Old 09-08-2006, 05:39 AM
Crash Test Dummy
Super Contributor

Wow, i have a Habor Freight near by, I'll have to check it out.

CTD
Old 09-08-2006, 01:13 PM
vax6335
Crazy 'bout Bees

Originally Posted by Matt Kirsch View Post
I bought one last night, but haven't messed with it yet. It was normally $10, on sale for about half.
Thanks for the suggestion!
-Andy
Old 09-09-2006, 12:49 PM
kohned

A word about Battery Tender Jr. Don't buy one. The battery on my BMW was low so I hooked up Jr. and went to both jobs for a couple of weeks. When I thought to check the battery it was boiled dry and smoking.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:50 AM
Bub Steve
Super Contributor

Lightbulb

I use my 12 volt 7Ah batt, Hobbico torqmaster LC to charge mine all the time, never had any prob's what-so-ever, you can carry out in your field box, charg'in one fly'In one ,Dry cells have a mind of there own and the best way to tell their over charg'in is when they start worp'in round the middle good tread guy's!your bub. steve
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	planes 203.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	184.1 KB
ID:	16953  

Last edited by Bub Steve; 09-19-2006 at 04:01 AM. Reason: forgeot the pix's ( again)
Old 09-19-2006, 04:01 PM
Matt Kirsch
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by kohned View Post
A word about Battery Tender Jr. Don't buy one. The battery on my BMW was low so I hooked up Jr. and went to both jobs for a couple of weeks. When I thought to check the battery it was boiled dry and smoking.
Two possibilities here:

1. Faulty charger. That happens, and shouldn't be used as criteria to condemn an entire product line.
2. "Float" chargers are meant to keep an already-topped-off battery charged. They're not meant to be used as battery chargers, and the long period at full capacity may have caused the unit to malfunction.