Biggest ELECTRIC model aircraft motor ?? - WattFlyer RC Electric Flight Forums - Discuss radio control eflight

General Electric Discussions Talk about topics related to e-powered RC flying

Biggest ELECTRIC model aircraft motor ??

Old 04-01-2008, 11:05 PM
floridawen

Question Biggest ELECTRIC model aircraft motor ??

I have seen some big "gas" engines, like converted weedwhacker engines, but I am brand new to RC electric aircraft and I am VERY curious as to what is the largest, biggest ELECTRIC MOTOR available and used on model aircraft ?? What would it be "equal" to as compared to the thrust and horsepower of a "gas" engine ?? What size prop does it turn and what the heck size batteries are needed to power it ??
Old 04-01-2008, 11:08 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

it's not rc...

http://www.airventure.org/2007/4wed25/sonex.html

[media]http://www.airventure.org/2007/4wed25/images/sonex_300.jpg[/media]
Old 04-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Laggard
Who's got my six?

Cyclon Big Boss

10000 watts nominal
400 amps (burst)
12000 watts (burst)
81 ounces
$2000
Old 04-02-2008, 11:53 AM
floridawen

Question

Originally Posted by Laggard View Post

Cyclon Big Boss

10000 watts nominal
400 amps (burst)
12000 watts (burst)
81 ounces
$2000
What "size" aircraft would this be used on ?? And it would be "equal" to what size "gas" engine ??
Old 04-02-2008, 12:52 PM
FlyingMonkey
Flite Test Fan

I think the rule of thumb is 150-200 watts per pound for acrobatic planes.

So, 10,000 watts divided by 200, gives you a motor that would pull a 50 pound plane vertical without even straining.

(of course, ten of those pounds would be battery weight.)
Old 04-02-2008, 01:41 PM
floridawen

Question

Originally Posted by FlyingMonkey View Post
I think the rule of thumb is 150-200 watts per pound for acrobatic planes.

So, 10,000 watts divided by 200, gives you a motor that would pull a 50 pound plane vertical without even straining.

(of course, ten of those pounds would be battery weight.)
Seriously, the reason I originally asked the question about the biggest electric motor is because this past Saturday my Wife and I attended an RC Miniature WarBirds event near us. They had some very large aircraft there, some double engine, but all (100%) of them were "gas/nitro" many running on weedwhacker engines with real gasoline/oil mixture (2 cycle). The Club members were friendly to us two "spectators" and one asked me what I fly. I replied that I am a newbie, just learning and I have just purchased a new RTF Hobbico NexSTAR Select EP (electric)....... he sort of made a strange face and then said it's a nice electric trainer but when you get more serious into flying you must go to "gas/nitro" to power the "big airplanes" that electric just won't handle.......
Old 04-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Laggard
Who's got my six?

I believe that the Cyclon Big Boss is equivalent to a 100 cc motor.

A lot of the older nitro guys like to tell ya that electric is only for small planes. Not true of course as you can see by this and other Cyclon motors. The problem you run into with larger electrics is price. A 5000 mah 10S Thunder Power pack is going to run you around $500. Combine that with the cost of a large electric motor and electric can't compete in price with nitro.

Last edited by Laggard; 04-02-2008 at 03:23 PM.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:37 PM
floridawen

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Laggard View Post
I believe that the Cyclon Big Boss is equivalent to a 100 cc motor.

A lot of the older nitro guys like to tell ya that electric is only for small planes. Not true of course as you can see by this and other Cyclon motors. The problem you run into with larger electrics is price. A 5000 mah 10S Thunder Power pack is going to run you around $500. Combine that with the cost of a large electric motor and electric can't compete in price with nitro.
I guess it's equal to this "gas" engine, the DA100:
http://www.desertaircraft.com/engine...hp?Page=DA-100

I now realize with the expensive battery packs and costly motors just why many would still use "gas" for their big, big aircraft.

Last Saturday we say a really big plane with a DA150 (150 cc gas) engine in it.... it was a monster next to the five and six foot wingspan planes.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:52 PM
Liquidity
Combat Vet

Originally Posted by floridawen View Post
he sort of made a strange face and then said it's a nice electric trainer but when you get more serious into flying you must go to "gas/nitro" to power the "big airplanes" that electric just won't handle.......
That is just plan ignorant. It really bugs me that some of gas/glow pilots look at electrics in this manner.

I feel I am seriously involved in this hobbies with my electrics. They might not weigh 25lbs and have a 110" wing span, but they still consume a large part oy my wallet and my time.

I take just as much pride in my planes as Mac Hodges does with his B-29.

That being said, I do own 2 nitro planes, and still feel that electrics are equal.
Old 04-02-2008, 03:53 PM
elcamino
funflyer

if you look around you will find that big electrics are getting cheaper to do goto 3-d hobbyshop and check out there big 85" electric conversion 4 years ago you would never get near this in price. You could probably do a 50cc model fairly cheaply now with all the cheap stuff comming from overseas.I think i saw a 50cc plane at nitro models for 200.00 a motor and speed control at united hobbies for 250.00 they may even have batteries for it 12s pack?? and some big digital servos might not be the best plane out there but it would be good to learn on.
Old 04-02-2008, 04:29 PM
floridawen

Smile

I wrote this many times before...... I'm an old U-Control flyer from the 1960's when I was 11 - 16 years old and all we had was glo-plug engines. That is what I learned on, competed in many AMA sponsored events, and won trophies (mainly for scale and carrier), but those non-muffler noisy engines got me kicked out of parks, school fields, almost everywhere I wanted to fly, except the Model Airplane Club flying field which was over 15 miles away. I gave up flying in 1970 when High School, cars and girls sparked new interests. I just got BACK into model airplanes, only this time RC, just four weeks ago. Yes, I am an RC "newbie". As a guest at a local RC Flying Field I saw electric as well as fuel powered aircraft. The fuel powered planes, although have a throttle for RC, still spit out the same, slimey, exhaust all over the wing and fuselage, just as in the U-Control days. The guys constantly had to "adjust" the needle valves and the engines would stall as they tipped their plane vertical, needed re-starting and re-adjusting several times.
Then I saw a guy in the far side of the field flying a very "quiet" ELECTRIC plane, at that moment I said to my Wife next to me, THAT is what I want, an ELECTRIC powered airplane. As I asked questions to the club members they happily answered them but they ALL suggested I start out with a "fuel" trainer and NOT electric. Contrary to what they advised, I went out and bought a Hobbico NexSTAR Select EP (electric) which came with a decent Futaba 6EXAP transmitter and PPM(FM) Rx. I immediately got my AMA (couldn't get my old 1960's number though) and then joined their club. I am about to assemble the RTF NexSTAR this week. Although I have about 20 hours on the RealFlight G4, I still want to "buddy-box" my first few flights. If I ever get another plane soon (and I will) it too will be ELECTRIC powered. I just gotta get the "fear" of Li-po's outta me, I have NiMH's now, two 8cell packs in the NexSTAR.
Old 04-02-2008, 05:31 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

Next time you see those guys that say big has to be gas ask them if they ever heard of this guy!

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=2aiLcGAh63Q[/media]

Here is a better video of the same routine

http://media.putfile.com/Freestyle-A...rnd-Beschorner
Old 04-02-2008, 05:50 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

I was at Hobby Lobby Intl. in Nashville yesterday (picked up a FlyCamOne2 on the last day of their March Madness 20%-off-any-one-item sale), and saw that they have a red 12 ft. wingspan leccie hanging from the ceiling. I asked the guy about it, and he said it's powered by a 12S LiPo, and can go straight vertical, no problem.

I know there's bigger model planes than 12', but I mean, come on--when you've got planes that big powered by batteries, no one can say that you have to go gas/nitro for the "big stuff".
Old 04-02-2008, 06:00 PM
gzsfrk
Community Moderator

Originally Posted by floridawen View Post
If I ever get another plane soon (and I will) it too will be ELECTRIC powered. I just gotta get the "fear" of Li-po's outta me, I have NiMH's now, two 8cell packs in the NexSTAR.
I had a bad case of the LiPo house-fire jitters as well, and I have to say that they were largely unfounded. Certain precautions should be taken (charge the batteries is something like an old ammo box), and ONLY charge them with a smart balancing charger (I love my IMax B6 I got from HobbyCity.com for $69), but I've not had the first problem so far. And the energy/weight ratio on these batteries is just unbelievable. With a 59g 1000mah 2S Zippy LiPo, I can fly my SDM Piper Cub (which I recently upgraded to a brushless 2409-12) for 20 minutes or longer, if I go easy on the throttle. Compare that to the old 600mah 7-cell NiMH where I could only get half the flight time with half the power while weighing twice as much.

Of course, once LiFePo (LiPoFe?) batteries catch on and get some widespread manufacturing, we'll hopefully have all the energy density benefits of LiPos with the stability and ruggedness of NiMH packs.
Old 04-02-2008, 06:20 PM
floridawen

Smile

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
Next time you see those guys that say big has to be gas ask them if they ever heard of this guy!

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=2aiLcGAh63Q[/media]

Here is a better video of the same routine

http://media.putfile.com/Freestyle-A...rnd-Beschorner
I thoroughly enjoyed that video...... great aerobatics, and the plane was so "quiet" !! Believe it or not, that was the same model of airplane I saw this past Saturday with a DA150 in it...... it's a BIG plane !!
Do you think he had the Cyclon Big Boss in the plane in the video ??
Old 04-02-2008, 06:30 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

He was running one of thes Pletenberg motors out of Germany

Scroll about a 1/4 way down this page on RCu for info.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=789
Old 04-02-2008, 07:16 PM
floridawen

Originally Posted by firemanbill View Post
He was running one of thes Pletenberg motors out of Germany

Scroll about a 1/4 way down this page on RCu for info.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=789
WOW...... now that's a large electric motor !!

THANKS !!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 04-02-2008, 10:33 PM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

No problem. There are a lot more of them everyday. The large scale electrics are really growing.

Mine is nowhere near that big but it's big enough!

http://www.wattflyer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20278
Old 04-03-2008, 03:44 AM
lmopar69
Gravity Stinks!!

Next time just ask them if they have ever seen a 65lbs, 13 foot span electric plane that will do nearly 100mph level? If they say no, direct their attention to this picture...

And yes, it flies, and yes its electric.

Laine.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Me and SRT2.JPG
Views:	432
Size:	124.2 KB
ID:	61538   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0158.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	263.3 KB
ID:	61539  
Old 04-03-2008, 03:51 AM
firemanbill
Community Moderator

And that one too!

Almost forgot about that one Laine! Sorry Bud.:o
Old 04-03-2008, 05:04 AM
Airhead
Redneck Member

Originally Posted by lmopar69 View Post
Next time just ask them if they have ever seen a 65lbs, 13 foot span electric plane that will do nearly 100mph level? If they say no, direct their attention to this picture...

Laine.
Good one Laine... I liked seeing You and your creation in the magazine too..
Old 04-03-2008, 04:41 PM
lmopar69
Gravity Stinks!!

Roger roger. Cant wait to get home around New Years and get the new landing gear and motor mounts on it. Then, time to dial it in so it flys like its little brothers.

There will be more magazine articles on it in time... just gotta "defend a nation" right now for awhile.

Laine.
Old 04-03-2008, 05:04 PM
floridawen

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by lmopar69 View Post

Laine.
Now that is an awesome and beautiful aircraft. Do you (excuse me, I'm a newbie) call it a flying wing or a delta ?? So far the LARGEST aircraft I have seen, "gas" or electric !!
Old 04-03-2008, 06:48 PM
lmopar69
Gravity Stinks!!

Its a wing sir... and no problem asking at all. There is a complete thread about the build here in the flying wings/deltas forum. Just look for the Ohio Combat SRT/10. There are even a few videos of it on you tube.

Thanks for the compliments!

Laine.