Batteries & Chargers Discuss Li-P, Li-Ion, NiMh, Nicad battery technology and the chargers that juice 'em up!

Car battery for field charging?

Old 03-22-2015, 05:21 AM
kyleservicetech
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by deadair1 View Post
Never heard of a Kipor...so I did the google....and I see that Honda does not have anything to worry about.....ya gets what ya pay for....
I also looked for Kipor. They do sell them in the upper midwest USA. But the nearest place that has them is a hundred miles from my home.
Old 03-22-2015, 09:48 AM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by deadair1 View Post
Never heard of a Kipor...so I did the google....and I see that Honda does not have anything to worry about.....ya gets what ya pay for....
Dunno what you meant by the last bit - Honda in fact fought Kipor internationally shutting down dealer access to Kipor - generally trying everything possible to block their sales.

Why ? The Kipor was basically the same suitcase Genny but lot less price. Lots of evidence to show Honda had serious competition from it.
Kipor was very popular with European boaters ... quiet, reliable, and excellent backup service - which was rarely needed. Until of course Honda forced the issue.

If noise is not a problem - then even the cheap Wolf Genny - which models such as Powerline, Harbour Freight etc. are based on will do the job. Just make sure you drain carbs when stored - the Walbro carb is not good at handling gasoline gums and residues. I've had two W's that even service couldn't ressurect - needed new carb units.

Nigel
Old 03-22-2015, 03:26 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Lightbulb

With the growing popularity in electric automobiles (meaning the full size kind that people ride around in), has anyone ever given a thought to the batteries these eco-cars use? After all they are designed for exactly the type of high drain / long draw our chargers demand, Built (I would HOPE) for repeated deep discharge AND they're built to give the most power per pound economically possible.

Yes, I know they are expensive, but E-cars get totaled too...
Old 03-22-2015, 04:19 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by FlyWheel View Post
With the growing popularity in electric automobiles (meaning the full size kind that people ride around in), has anyone ever given a thought to the batteries these eco-cars use? After all they are designed for exactly the type of high drain / long draw our chargers demand, Built (I would HOPE) for repeated deep discharge AND they're built to give the most power per pound economically possible.

Yes, I know they are expensive, but E-cars get totaled too...
Check them out ... NO baggage space. Limited range. Small size and construction is based on Composite's because weight is problem.

They have BIGGER problem than we have !!

Nigel
Old 03-22-2015, 08:40 PM
FlyWheel
Ochroma Pyramidale Tekton

Alas, I don't have one. I was just wondering if anyone else has tried them. They're using some form of lithium technology now aren't they (LiFe?)?
Old 03-22-2015, 10:31 PM
fhhuber
Super Contributor

Depends on the E-car as to the batteries being used.

Tesla went lithium for the storage power vs weight... but it made a very expensive car due to balancing circuits, higher cost batteries and higher cost charger.

Not sure what's in the Prius but its pretty much guaranteed to need a new $6000 battery pack replacement at 100k to 120k miles.
Old 06-03-2015, 03:24 PM
rcers
Super Contributor

Originally Posted by fhhuber View Post
Not sure what's in the Prius but its pretty much guaranteed to need a new $6000 battery pack replacement at 100k to 120k miles.
The newer models now use LiFe (a123's I believe) for the density and weight savings. They talked about the switch for several years but it took them longer than they thought.

Volt always used them. The pure electrics too. They need the higher energy density and weight savings.

Mike
Old 06-03-2015, 04:35 PM
Romans5.8

The biggest issue with electric car batteries is stepping down the high voltage. Unless you cracked them open and did some fancy re-wiring; assuming that's even possible. The prius battery packs have varied a bit over the generations but are around 200v nominal and about 6aH.

Fact is, you could probably buy a generator cheaper than the battery + necessary heavy equipment to get a useable voltage out of that. (Since it's a DC battery, the most efficient way would be to step it all the way down to 12v and run your charger).

Gold cart batteries are available used a lot, and are deep-cycle okay. Guys building homemade electric cars or even doing solar storage use those a lot because they are cheap and reliable. A golf cart battery or two might be a decent power source.

Honda Generators are also really cool. Very, very quiet, and lightweight. The internal circuity doesn't allow much 12v draw so out of the box you'd still have to use a power supply and plug into the 120v circuit. The generator itself produces about 225VDC and uses a converter/inverter unit to produce 12VDC and 120VAC. The 12VDC though is not rated for much, so you probably couldn't plug your charger into that and would need to use a power supply connected to the 120VAC plug.

I know a guy who does a lot of electrics and does a lot of shows and has a 'toy hauler' (big trailer, even has a bathroom and a sink) for his planes. It also has a collection of deep cycle batteries underneath it with a solar panel on top and the ability to be charged by plugging in a 20amp RV twist connector on the side. Powers stuff inside the trailer (a TV, lights, etc.), and also powers his chargers. That's a pretty cool setup!
Old 06-03-2015, 06:03 PM
ramboman

I am using two 65Ah gel Pb strapped in the back of my car... 24V for my iCharger 3010B... enough to charge a 12s2p a123 six to seven times at 20A for 15min...
Old 06-03-2015, 06:28 PM
solentlife
Super Contributor

The best all-round batterys but heavy ... are the batterys produced for trucks. The batterys not only start the diesel engine (usually paired 12V to 24V for the 'oooomph' !) but also run the Hydraulic Tail-lift.

Dealers sell by A/hr size ... but often its the best deal if you want new ...

For the absolute best deal though if moneys tight .... get to a Car-Breakers. They sell of the batterys from the cars they crush / split for parts. Usually they have a load tester to see if its good before you buy. Just because I car is going to crusher - does not mean it didn't have a good battery in it.
I did this in UK for my boats ... and a lot of my friends also. Those batterys lasted years. Even if you only got 1 maybe 1.5yrs out of it ... still cheaper to dump and get another .... doesn't matter then that's its a Traction battery - not Deep Cycle.

Nigel